• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I not mistaken.... (FFTADS) (JP)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
But doesn't Final Fantasy Tactics DS come out today? If so... talk about game impressions here!!!

I am still at work but am going to swing by Yodobashi later and pick it up hopefully!

Blackace

Well I enjoyed the last one, and need to get off work as soon as I can!!! :lol :lol

Bebpo

Banned
I'm picking it up but after ASH and Operation Darkness I'm all s-rpg'd out. Probably won't get to it for a little while.

Blackace said:
Well I enjoyed the last one, and need to get off work as soon as I can!!! :lol :lol

Yeah, I enjoyed FFTA quite a bit due to the immense number of interesting job classes. Then again I also enjoyed it because I played it at 10x fast foward on an emu (own legal cart). I'm a bit worried at not being able to do that this time around. ASH has kind of tested my patience on slow srpgs.

Blackace said:

well I'm not expecting it to live up to FFT or anything like that, but I mean.

Anyway not going to turn this into a FFTA and what went wrong thread. Just hit me up with some impressions baby!

Blackace

Bebpo said:
I'm picking it up but after ASH and Operation Darkness I'm all s-rpg'd out. Probably won't get to it for a little while.

Yeah, I enjoyed FFTA quite a bit due to the immense number of interesting job classes. Then again I also enjoyed it because I played it at 10x fast foward on an emu (own legal cart). I'm a bit worried at not being able to do that this time around. ASH has kind of tested my patience on slow srpgs.

Ash is slow on different levels than FFTA was..

But really they better not screw this up... FFTA I was quite fond of, FFT I just loved.. so please please please don't drop the ball on this S-E

Gattsu25

Banned
sevenchaos said:
Hopefully leaps and bounds better than the last one.
The last one was perfect for late night gaming.

It was too easy, IMO, but the core (disregarding that card bullshit) gameplay was still decent....the story was one of the worst I've ever had to play through...and, like I said earlier, the judge/card system very well might hold the top spot for the worst gameplay system in a RPG...but I was still able to enjoy the game

I hate to say it, because it sounds pretty damning, but that game put me to sleep.

What I mean by this is I would play the game late at night if I had trouble going to sleep. Some people count sheep, I played a match or two of FFTA. Due to the difficulty, I never found it frustrating...the battle system itself (while not as good as FFT's IMO) was still good enough to hold my interest...and the simple fact that I was doing someone other than deliberately trying to fall asleep made actually falling asleep creep up on me...usually by the time a battle was finished.

Baryn

Banned
The only thing really wrong with FFTA was laws. Get rid of those and you had a really solid tactical RPG.

Impressions!!

traveler

Not Wario
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much hate for the first one. I positively loved it. Is this one of those "Deus Ex: Invisible War" cases where those who played the sequel but not the original will find the sequel amazing while the vets hate it?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Baryn said:
The only thing really wrong with FFTA was laws. Get rid of those and you had a really solid tactical RPG.

Impressions!!
They didn't get rid of them, but you don't need to follow them anymore, you get a bonus at the end of battle for following them now.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
traveler said:
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much hate for the first one. I positively loved it. Is this one of those "Deus Ex: Invisible War" cases where those who played the sequel but not the original will find the sequel amazing while the vets hate it?

I have only played FFTA and I hated it. I didn't like how alot of the jobs didn't work or were useless.

Giard

traveler said:

I guess. I was disgusted by FFTA, and FFT is my favorite game ever. I think judges were made as usable classes now? That might make it more interesting. I didn't like the races as well.

jj984jj

I just checked the GFAQs board, apparently there's a hard mode in the game? :O

Aeana

jj984jj said:
I just checked the GFAQs board, apparently there's a hard mode in the game? :O

Yes. According to 2ch, it multiplies enemy damage by about 1.5.

traveler said:

FFT is one of my favorite games. I really enjoyed FFTA, too.
I didn't go into FFTA expecting FFT2, so that may have allowed me to enjoy it more.

Baryn

Banned
jj984jj said:
They didn't get rid of them, but you don't need to follow them anymore, you get a bonus at the end of battle for following them now.
That's actually a swell implementation. Now my strategies will not be mundanely tainted unless I choose to go that extra mile. :D

Aeana

Something to note about laws is that even though they're no longer required, you can't revive any party members mid-battle if you break the law. A minor inconvenience, but it's there.

Gattsu25

Banned
Aeana said:
Something to note about laws is that even though they're no longer required, you can't revive any party members mid-battle if you break the law. A minor inconvenience, but it's there.
Noted.

The law system, just based on what I've read in this thread so far, is much better already

jj984jj

Aeana said:
So that's why they made bodies disappear when they die, makes sense.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MoxManiac said:
FFTA sucks because the difficulty is nonexistant - a SRPG can't be good without challenge.
Sure it can. If you have OCD.

EDIT: FFTADS or FFXIIRW????

GhaleonQ

Despite liking "meaning" in my games, I really enjoyed Tactics Advance. I may have fooled by the masses of equipment (wee!), jobs (ooh!), and Final Fantasy IX ability system (my favorite), though.

bluemax

Banned
I thought the first one was good for a portable game. And I agree with whoever said it was perfect for late night gaming.

Beezy

traveler said:
Don't think so. I played FFTA before FFT and I couldn't stand it at all.

Amir0x

Banned
I didn't go into FFTA expected it to live up with FFT (which I don't hold on some golden standard, btw, I think that game is flawed... but it IS at its core extremely solid, unlike FFTA). I would have been happy with much lower quality, but it failed to meet even those. I explained when I hated about it before, though, so no use going over it again.

Anyway I hope FFTA2 fixes the problems I had, so I too will be watching impressions for some key issues to see if they're covered.

Haly

Amir0x said:
I didn't go into FFTA expected it to live up with FFT (which I don't hold on some golden standard, btw, I think that game is flawed... but it IS at its core extremely solid, unlike FFTA). I would have been happy with much lower quality, but it failed to meet even those. I explained when I hated about it before, though, so no use going over it again.

Anyway I hope FFTA2 fixes the problems I had, so I too will be watching impressions for some key issues to see if they're covered.
Is one of your key issues the plot? Because I hear it's still crappy in FFTA2.

Amir0x

Banned
Halycon said:
Is one of your key issues the plot? Because I hear it's still crappy in FFTA2.

That is a big issue, but if the plot sucked that'd be perfectly fine if the gameplay was good... which, for a strategy RPG, FFTA essentially lacked any strategy or tactical requirements at all. I explained many of my problems before, you can read just the tip of the iceberg here. FFTA didn't need to be FFT to be good.

Sallokin

I'm curious if you still learn job skills by equipping weapons in this one, or if they switched it to the FFT way of learning skills.

I don't know what it is, but it still looks like a GBA game. Is it the lack of frames of animation, few colors, or the resolution? Visually, it's kind of disappointing.

Aeana

Propagandhim said:
I don't know what it is, but it still looks like a GBA game. Is it the lack of frames of animation, few colors, or the resolution? Visually, it's kind of disappointing.

The battlefields are much more detailed and colorful.

It's like night and day.

Link1110

Is this announced for US release yet?
The first one was one of my favorite GBA games, so I want this game, and will import it if need be.

Haly

Link1110 said:
Is this announced for US release yet?
The first one was one of my favorite GBA games, so I want this game, and will import it if need be.
It shipped yesterday.

Haly

Propagandhim said:
But it still looks like a GBA game, wouldn't you agree?
It looks good, what else matters? Do you WANT seven polygon characters or something?

Aeana

Propagandhim said:
But it still looks like a GBA game, wouldn't you agree?

Not really. The GBA is lower resolution and has a lesser color palette.

ffta.png
ffta2.jpg

It's a significant upgrade, that the GBA is incapable of.

Bottom line: it's beautiful.

Halycon said:
It looks good, what else matters? Do you WANT seven polygon characters or something?

Oh, not at all - I loved the FFT look on Playstation. I wanted the sprites to be more detailed and have more seamless animation. Whatever, though.

Aeana said:
Not really. The GBA is lower resolution and has a lesser color palette.

ffta.png
ffta2.jpg

It's a significant upgrade, that the GBA is incapable of.

Bottom line: it's beautiful.

Ahhh - that comparison shot puts everything into better perspective. I kinda wish it was better animated, but your point is well taken.

Blackace

Just please allow me to rotate the camera...please

I want to know more about the main character, Luso, and whether or not he's much of a hunter in terms of story or feature themes (refering to his job from FFT PSP). I've always been massively put off by the style of Advance but I may be able to overcome that if there are other themes in the game that interest me a lot -- notably how Clans, hunting or poaching, any sort of creation features, etc are handled.

GhaleonQ

Sallokin said:
I'm curious if you still learn job skills by equipping weapons in this one, or if they switched it to the FFT way of learning skills.

Final Fantasy IX's way is used.

Beavertown

Garbage
This game makes me want for Vandal hearts DS.. what the hell ever happened with that?

And also, how long until the US gets this?

ethelred

Beavertown said:
This game makes me want for Vandal hearts DS.. what the hell ever happened with that?

Vanished into thin air, sadly. Long since dead, I imagine. A real shame -- I would've loved a new Vandal Hearts game, and the DS can always use more SRPGs.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Beavertown said:

i believe i once made an MIA thread for vandal hearts DS :(

thanks for bringing up old, painful memories, dick

Pellham

Banned
Beavertown said:

as long as they don't use vandal hearts 2's gameplay system...

but it's canned anyway, and thank god. vandal hearts 1 was mediocre and vandal hearts 2 was the worst SRPG ever made.

Blackace

Had a really long day today (topped off by having to come home and download fonts!), but I got it! I will bring the impressions tomorrow after my trainride. Played about 3 mins of it so far.. and will play more in bed!

Top Bottom