• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2007: Assignment Thread 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme: Wet

Submissions are due by Sunday November 4 at 11:59 PM EDT

Voting begins November 5 and ends on November 6 at 11:59 EDT

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. If there is a tie, the number of first choice votes will be the tiebreaker. Criticism/comments encouraged. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote.

4) The “winner” should come up with a new theme/time period.

5) Have Fun!

AirBrian

Congrats, Lucky! About time you win one of these! :p

And as always, thanks to SK for the awesome stats. Glad to have you back this week!

I thought I would have have a hard time with this assignment but London weather never lets you down...

For the time being this will do:

Assign26.jpg

Adjusted shadows and levels in photoshop.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
A nice day at the beach turned into a great opportunity to get a good background as well. Lots of water and sunlight help, too.

2qdcppw.jpg

I first attempted this at home on the street, but the sky was slightly overcast (couldn't get a fast enough shutter speed), and there were too many distractions going on in the background/the background didn't contrast with the subject very well.

I made a bunch of other shots as well, and some of them may have turned out better. Not sure yet. I also did a few shots with a tangerine, too.

Is this the point where I throw up my hands and give up? :lol

Or just blatantly copy the idea?

That's commercial quality, that is - nice work, Rentahamster :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Thanks for the compliments, folks :)

ScientificNinja said:
Or just blatantly copy the idea?
Hey, it's not like I have a monopoly on frozen-action liquid shots, go for it dude. I'm sure you can come up with something cool :D

thatbox

Banned
phatmike128 said:
posting just to say wow also...I might look through my shots but dayyyum.
Lucky Forward said:
2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
Don't be discouraged, though - just get out there and shoot!

wet2a.jpg

Well, it's nothing quite as glamorous as an apple being drenched or a sword flying through the snow (another WOW, btw), but at least it's wet. Took this one in some stranger's back yard while house-hunting with the wife. It's been drizzling all morning. If I find something wetter, I'll probably change my submission :\

Morbo

I always enjoy looking through these threads, thanks to everyone who contributes.
With that out of the way, here's a duck:
1841060476_db81ee4cd2.jpg

nevermind. can't get the flickr link to just show the image.

Am I doing something wrong? I just copied and pasted the image location between
, same as always.

AirBrian

Tralfamadore64 said:
nevermind. can't get the flickr link to just show the image.

Am I doing something wrong? I just copied and pasted the image location between
, same as always.
Make sure you are using just the location address and not any extensions flickr might add. The file should end in .jpg and not .jpg?etcetcetc.

AirBrian

Might change, but here it is anyway.

GAF-26.jpg

Camera Model: Nikon D70
Flash Mode: No Flash
Focal Length: 300 mm
F-Number: F/5.6
Exposure Time: 1/1000 sec.
Exposure Compensation: +0.3 step

joshschw

ScientificNinja said:
a sword flying through the snow

hey, for starters the flower is pretty nice, it's pretty and I think it captures the theme pretty well since the water shows up nicely in the picture.

but I am sad to say it's nothing as cool as a sword through snow, but I wont say what it really is, :lol after the whole thing is done I'll post it.

Airbrian, that little tuft is awesome, lol.

AirBrian said:
Make sure you are using just the location address and not any extensions flickr might add. The file should end in .jpg and not .jpg?etcetcetc.

The image location looks the same as Morbo's and joshschw's. Who knows... I'm probably doing something retarded, but maybe I should just get a photobucket account.

Tf53

I was looking for the Official Photography Thread, but I guess this can go here as well. Just bought a new camera to replace my IXUS 400 (yeah, didn't really want to take any pics with that) and went with the Powershot S5 IS. We had first snow last night, so here's one of my first pics with my new baby. Any critique is appreciated.

Click for original size.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
1865765570_be5f4c121e.jpg

Camera: Samsung <Digimax D53>
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/4.9
Focal Length: 17.4 mm
ISO Speed: 140
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV

EDIT: Switched the picture due to persuasive "competitors." :)

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: Kit EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Focal length: 21 mm
Exposure time: 0.6 second
Aperture: f/16
ISO: 100
Post Processing: Crop, adjust levels, bump up saturation, unsharp mask, and resize in GIMP.
What I was smoking: Football on a wet autumn morning.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Evangelos said:
I thought I would have have a hard time with this assignment but London weather never lets you down...

For the time being this will do:

Assign26.jpg

Adjusted shadows and levels in photoshop.

Milhouse31 said:
I'm out till Sunday. Maybe i'll take better pictures during my trip. In the meantime, here is my submission

gaf26.jpg

Rentahamster said:
A nice day at the beach turned into a great opportunity to get a good background as well. Lots of water and sunlight help, too.

2qdcppw.jpg

Lucky Forward said:
RSZ_4323ps.jpg

Canon 20D, 50mm 1.8, ISO 100, 5 sec, f 22.

joshschw said:

ScientificNinja said:

Morbo said:
With that out of the way, here's a duck:
1841060476_db81ee4cd2.jpg

phatmike128 said:

guess said:

AirBrian said:
Might change, but here it is anyway.

GAF-26.jpg

Camera Model: Nikon D70
Flash Mode: No Flash
Focal Length: 300 mm
F-Number: F/5.6
Exposure Time: 1/1000 sec.
Exposure Compensation: +0.3 step

LuCkymoON said:
I will have a new camera soon:D
I too did the flower thing=)
darksparkle_sm.jpg

OnkelC said:
smallP1020592.jpg

just shot, some touching up in iPhoto.

Tf53 said:

Click for original size.

aidan said:
1865765570_be5f4c121e.jpg

Camera: Samsung <Digimax D53>
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/4.9
Focal Length: 17.4 mm
ISO Speed: 140
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV

Squirrel Killer said:

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: Kit EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Focal length: 21 mm
Exposure time: 0.6 second
Aperture: f/16
ISO: 100
Post Processing: Crop, adjust levels, bump up saturation, unsharp mask, and resize in GIMP.
What I was smoking: Football on a wet autumn morning.

Have at'er, folks!

Let me be the first to say:

First: Rentahamster, for an amazing shot.
Second: aidan (glad you switched!)

HM: Evangelos (almost picked it, just really liked the shot) and OnkelC, for making me laugh. <3

LuCkymoON

Banned
First: Rentahamster; this shot is made of professionalism:D

Second: AirBrian; You've captured a shot that could be in any nature magazine.

Other: aidan; I think I found my new bookmarker :D

First: Rentahamster. Beautiful, vibrant; deep contrasting colours... this is the kind of picture you use to make money. What settings did you use? Must've taken ages to prepare.

Second: AirBrian. The water is so perfectly still, the ducks are very cute, everything is razor-sharp, and I love that bit of fluff on the top of its head :D

Comments:
joshchw - well... I've been re-reading highlights from ASOIAF, so you'll forgive me for seeing a sword flying through the snow. I like the texture of the in-focus and out-of-focus elements, the lens flare... very surreal.

aidan - the rocks are positively glowing, but I thought the water in the top third was a bit odd. However, I get the feeling you were capturing the motion of the water...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
First: aidan

Second: Evangelos

I love that picture aidan, the color of the rocks are beautiful and the wave itself looks like a drape being pulled off exposing the rocks. Wonderful photo.

Evangelos, I think you really captured the feeling one (or atleast I) get on a rainy day in that picture alone. The natural grey lighting, fallen leaves and wet bench out of focus while focusing on a slick wet surface...it looks real good.

thatbox

Banned
First: Rentahamster - Just stunning.
Second: joshchw -Very, very dynamic. What on earth is it?

Honorable mentions:
guess - I really like this, but I think I'm drawn towards larger, more emphasized water droplets in this assignment.
OnkelC - I think it would have been interesting if you'd gotten closer to the glass so that maybe all we would have seen was a squiggly, watery image of a watch.
aidan - Gorgeus, soft water and wonderfully contrasty rocks. This would be right at home on a postcard for a park or something.

joshschw

First: Rentahamster -Look it's good picture, looks cool, and captures the theme perfectly!
Second: aidan -I love those rocks, the water at top isn't perfect, but the rocks make up for it.

other faves:

OnkelC: &#9829;
AirBrian: I've said I love those ducks like 74 times now, and I still do, but I think this would have the winner if the theme was water. Gorgeous shot.
Lucky Forward: Neat idea, to me it's missing a little something, can;t put my finger on it though.
ScientificNinja: I told you I liked this before, and I think it fits the theme well and is a pretty nice shot. the focusing probably could be a little better though.

okay, mine is, get this, a leaf, from an onion, being sprayed with a spray bottle! and I made it blue tinted!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
First: AirBrian, I like them birds.
Runner up: Rentahamster, the pic screams Pepsi, which I also like.

Random thoughts: great shots from all of you, but thread needed more watches.

First: Rentahamster - Striking, colorful, sharp, professional! I'd had a vague idea myself of doing something like a lime slice or a cherry splashing into a beverage, you made me go in a different direction because you nailed this so perfectly!

Runner Up: AirBrian - Wow, great composition, color, and sharpness (on both birds, that's hard) for a shot of moving wildlife. I came close to giving you first, but as far as theme, Rentahamster's shot was "wetter"! :)

Honorable Mentions:

Milhouse31 - I love the indistinct forms and the colors you captured!

aidan - Great feeling of "wetness" and rich deep color on the rocks; did you try any longer exposures? I'd be curious to see what other streaking/flowing effects you could get from the water with different exposure times.

joshschw - I like all the tiny streaking details (especially in your larger image); like most I thought that was a sword, that was an amazingly creative idea!

First: Rentahamster, what else to say? Simply gorgeous.
Second: Aidan, somehow I find those rocks very yummy... and i just had dinner.

Squirrel Killer: A bit too dark on my monitor, I don't see the wetness.
Lucky Forward: Love the steam, reminds me I need to shave:/
AirBrian: Fantastic but i felt not quite fitting to the theme.
OnkelC: Did not disappoint, once again. I liked the idea but it was missing the "wow" factor.
Tf53: Liked it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom