• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where's the Party?: Soulcalibur Legends (Wii)

fernoca

Soulcalibur Legends
230175b.jpg

Released: November 21, 2007.
Platform: Wii
# of players: 2 (match, co-op) [1 Wiimote and 1 Nunchuck recquired per player]
Wi-Fi: No
Pictures and Videos from IGN

About the game:
Soulcalibur, the unparalleled weapon based fighting game franchise, reinvents itself as Soulcalibur Legends, a 3rd person action adventure, exclusively for the Nintendo Wii console.
Soulcalibur Legends follows the 16th century exploits of Siegfried and other Soulcalibur characters, new and old. Siegfried finds himself on a quest for ultimate power in order to save an empire from destruction, bringing him into conflict with other warriors seeking to unify the pieces of the Soul Edge sword. This fateful quest leads to his inevitable possession by the cursed blade.

The Wii Remote and Nunchuk are your weapons of choice as you perform your moves and combos using orchestrated slashes and movements. Master special attacks acquired throughout the adventure while battling through diverse environments, crushing scores of enemies and large bosses. With the help of other Soulcalibur characters, view the Soulcalibur universe in an entirely new light.

Features:
-Wii exclusive: Designed specifically for the Nintendo Wii, use the Wii remote and Nunchuk to master your character’s suite of attacks in order to unify the pieces of Soul Edge
-Choose your allies wisely: Switch between the various characters encountered throughout your adventures to give you more versatility in every situation
-Classic Soulcalibur roster: Play and level up as your favorite Soulcalibur characters as you follow their path within history and level up through ranking system
-New enemies and bosses: Sword fighting capabilities are pushed to the limit as you encounter a lineup of new enemies and large scale bosses
-Weapon progression: Weapons evolve with your experience, giving you added control and more powerful attacks
-Spirit Break: Unleash your character’s special Spirit Break attacks to crush your enemies with amazing effects
-Quest mode: Play in 12 different environments as the beautiful landscapes serve as your battlefield in 40 quests
-Multiplayer modes: Test your skills with or against a friend in various game modes
-Competitive: Compete for the highest body count as you defeat the fearsome enemies
-Versus: Fight against your friend to determine the true Wii weapon master

So much talk about the game prior to the release, and even after the average review from 1up of which there was a thread...there's nothing else about this game..
I got the game a few days ago when it was released, so here are some overall impressions:

Visuals
In general are average at best. Some of the main character models look good..some of the textures (in the characters) are nice, but overall I'd say it looks like the first Soulcalibur game on Dreamcast, sometimes worse. Animation is pretty basic (and limited) for the most part. There's a lot of "copy-paste" in the enemies/models. The scenaries while a little more varied (jungles, caves, castles, churches, etc..), lack any..life if that could be the word and are plagued with low res textures, no shadows and some minimum lighting effects. The only good thing about the visuals is that cutscenes are presented through hand-drawn art, sometimes static but still really cool.

Sound
Really nice actually. The score is mostly orchestrated (well, or sounds like it) like the previous games ..with powerful notes that help set the tone of the game. Voice-acting varies from good to..over-acted. Sounds effects are kinda basic..you get the usual swords, explosions, etc..

Controls
Well, the "whole point behind the game". There are some cool touches like how the character swings the weapon, in the direction you swing the Wiimote..but in the end is a button masher..or more like a "waggle fest" in this case. The rest of the control are really basic (Joysitick to move, B-trigger to jump, A to lock-on, etc..)

Gameplay
The game is more about ..picking a mission, and going there destroy all enemies and that'`s it. You get cutscenes before and after the mission to help move the story forward, but aside that nothing else. The overall game is repetitive for the most part. There are some moments which they add some additional things, like a boss that required you to evade it's attacks and to activate cannons to attack it ..when it was far from you...but in the end, you (as in the entire game) you end "waggling" the controller like crazy just to destroy everything..which is kinda weird. There you have this characters that are supposed to be expert warriors/swordmans,etc..and all they do is attack in basic directions ..and jump. There a "special" button, which mostly gives you extra strength.
There are some puzzles and "RPG elements" thrown in there too (like change the direction some statues are facing, defend some gates from enemies, etc..) but none are interesting or fun for that matter, and you end just forced to do them just to move to the next room and destroy more enemies.

Or should I say "enemies"?.. since they only attack you when you're close to them, the rest of the time they just wait there ..doing nothing. Heck, even when they do attack all they do is repeat the same attacks.

There's also a "Party Mode" which is multiplayer (ironically while the back of the box mentions multiplayer there's no .."icon" of additonal Wiimotes or numbers of controllers you need to play..) and this mode is basically play the mission from the single player mode with someone else either helping you or trying to beat you..or just fight 1-on-1 to see who survives, and while this are fun are not even as good as the fights in the "normal" Soulcalibur games.

In the end...
The game is not..unplayable or impossilbe to play, neither is boring or a suck fest. Is just that..it could have been more..much more and it shows. There's some fun in the game and some nice elements, and while I'm enjoying the game overall, just don't go expecting to be blown away and neither go expecting a good game. Like I said expect something average in every sense of the word.

(Score wise..I'd give it a: 6 out of 10)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I preordered a ton of TRU games in order to get them as part of the B2G3rdF deal. Trauma Center, Rayman Raving Rabbids 2, Geometry Wars, and SC Legends were 4 of 'em.

Still waiting for TRU to ship 'em.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
you started a party for a game that you would give a 6 out of 10 to (and spoilering it, no less)?! And then you ask where's the party?

Bildi

When it comes Legends, the party is definitely not in my pants.

Great thread though and nice impressions :)

fernoca

PantherLotus said:
you started a party for a game that you would give a 6 out of 10 to (and spoilering it, no less)?! And then you ask where's the party?
Well, I spoiler-tagged the score, because I don't like giving scores to games, but since some people use scores..as barometers, I added it there at last minute (I originally didn't posted a score and neither many stuff I added later)..the original post was just the visuals, sound, control and gameplay things I mentioned and that was it.. ;)

But hey!, I'm not the one that loves EA Playground's artstyle! :p

GamerSoul

I shall get this game!...... someday.
Is there any place with a summary of the story? That's what i'm really interested in.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
fernoca said:
Well, I spoiler-tagged the score, because I don't like giving socres ot games, but since some people use scores..as barometers, I added it there at last minute (I originally didn't posted a score and neither many stuff I added later)..the original post was just the visuals, sound, control and gameplay things I mentioned and that was it.. ;)

But hey!, I'm not the one that loves EA Playground's artstyle! :p

oh it's YOU! :|

This game just screams Christmas rush cash-in so hard, I hope it just tanks completely. Don't reward these developers and their bullshit "games" with your hard-earned money.

Christ this just makes me so goddamn mad. Everything about it is wrong.

Brashnir

The Game Informer review was just brutal. I'm still trying to figure out how the text translates into anything other than a 0/10 score, though. (They gave it a 4.)

http://gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/307B0EE5-9807-4D2B-A4CD-ACC90EF060FF.htm

GI Review said:
Soulcalibur Legends is a trap, luring in gullible gamers with the promise of two-player co-op and a cast of characters from the series. Once you take the bait, the whole rusty contraption snaps shut – and you will carry the scars of playing it for the rest of your life.

CTLance

Brashnir said:
gi said:
Soulcalibur Legends feels like bonus content created for a proper Soulcalibur game that never materialized. [...] Your knucklehead friends are known to dispense such pearls of wisdom as “As long as we don’t lose, we’ll win!” Perhaps the development team worked under the same half-baked philosophy.
Wow, that's positively scathing. I hope this game gets the sales it deserves.

They didn't even TRY to make a decent game from the looks of it. It's both sad and hilarious.

LOcKY

Namco you have fallen so hard..

i still dont forgive them with when they said they would use the ace combat team to make star fox and im pretty sure that was a damn right lie.

here we are again Namco sending out another half (half is being genrous) arse effort of a game which clearly doesnt show any effort at all, they should have delayed it or just cancel it because its such a waste of everybodies time.

Wake me up when Namco actually start caring about their games they make. Even the newly annouced game Fragile sounds like their support for Nintendo .. fragile...

if i were a game developer, i don't think i could make it into work every morning if i knew i was going to be developing a game on last-gen hardware from 9 until godknowswhen. in fact, i'd probably just fry my brain on horse and let the interns do the work while i waited for death to claim me in an explosion of phosphenes

ethelred

Drinky Crow said:
if i were a game developer, i don't think i could make it into work every morning if i knew i was going to be developing a game on last-gen hardware from 9 until godknowswhen. in fact, i'd probably just fry my brain on horse and let the interns do the work while i waited for death to claim me in an explosion of phosphenes

That seems to be what the developers for this game actually did.

RuGalz

Drinky Crow said:

Sounds familiar! :lol

Duke Togo

Drinky Crow said:
:lol

consoul

Soulcalibur Legends: Death by Degwii.

Sorry, but your party is in another castle.
It's being held in PS3 and 360...and DC, and GC and PS2 and XB.

fernoca

consoul said:
Soulcalibur Legends: Death by Degwii.

Sorry, but your party is in another castle.
It's being held in PS3 and 360...and DC, and GC and PS2 and XB.
You bumped the thread for ..that? :lol

In any case...
Played some more today..!
And I found Sophitia! :)
She was at Egypt..that stage was kinda cool, aside that the textures on this one (and lighting effects) looked really nice (at least comapred to the rest of the game)..you had to defeat bosses in 4 different rooms, to turn off a flame ..that turned on a light in the center room, that lead to Sophitia. ..

It was cool, when you see her..and your proceed to run to her...only to have the door close in front of you..I thought it was timed so I go back, but I noticed I was trapped...and some face appeared on the door and started shooting fire at you..totally unexpected, it almost killed me (this mission is Siegfiried only so if you die yo uhave to start it again, unlike other missions which you have 2 characters at your disposal)....

That also unlocked another stage in multiplayer...

fernoca

John Harker said:
How's Lloyd??
How do you unlock him, is he part of the plot at all?
Well, don't know if he's on the Quest Mode (single player mode)..but on the Party Mode (multiplayer) he appears right from the beginning...nicely modeled and his main color is his reguar red costume, while his alt is a light/grayish-blue one...

But then I noticed nearly all characters on multiplayer right from the beginning..while on single, I just unlocked Sophitia...

basik

I ordered this with my buy2get1free toysrus thing but it hasnt shipped yet... the bad reviews kinda got to me so I called TRU to try to switch this game to dragonball budokai 3 but they cant change it and I have to return it after it ships... I still havent decided whether to open it or not... I was willing to give it a chance but every review is negative not just the usual wii haters.

In general are average at best. Some of the main character models look good..some of the textures (in the characters) are nice, but overall I'd say it looks like the first Soulcalibur game on Dreamcast, sometimes worse.

That should be fine as a lot of retards around here still think the Dreamcast is some kind of miraculous technical marvel. :\

Top Bottom