• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's ES Operating System (¿?)

Endless

ES is a fairly interesting looking open source research OS created by Nintendo. Runs natively on x86 (and qemu of course), kernel is written in C++, uses an ECMAScript interpreter for all of the userland, uses Cairo for graphics, and even has a port of Squeak.

osnews.com

Es operating system | sourceforge.jp

boot.jpg

shell.gif

squeak.jpg

Dolphin

Banned
You know...if Nintendo continues to succeed at videogames I wonder if they might expand to other markets...

Like making OS's. It's about time Microsoft had a serious competitor.

Dolphin said:
You know...if Nintendo continues to succeed at videogames I wonder if they might expand to other markets...

Fine, I understand you're aquatic and all, but that's the most ridiculous thing this landwalker has ever heard.

Dolphin said:

Uh....Linux and OSX are competitors, and they're struggeling to get past a 3% marketshare. I don't think Nintendo will ever enter that market.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
wow. thanks for the head-up, Endless! *heads to osnews*

Sirolf

Dolphin said:

:lol :lol :lol
I'm in tears here !

Souldriver said:
Uh....Linux and OSX are competitors, and they're struggeling to get past a 3% marketshare. I don't think Nintendo will ever enter that market.

Saying that though. The market is so vast, that even 1% can give opportunity for healthy profit. OSX is above 3%, but nonetheless, they are making shit loads of money. Apple are in the top 3 computer manufacturers in the world. If I am not wrong second only to Dell. Now that is some feat, and they're only 3% in OS market share.

What I am trying to say is, it is feasible for a newcomer to come in.

WrikaWrek

Banned
the thoroughbred said:
Saying that though. The market is so vast, that even 1% can give opportunity for healthy profit. OSX is above 3%, but nonetheless, they are making shit loads of money. Apple are in the top 3 computer manufacturers in the world. If I am not wrong second only to Dell. Now that is some feat, and they're only 3% in OS market share.

Not really. Apple makes it because hey....Apple sells these Apple PCs that some people love.

What would a new contender do?

Dolphin

Banned
Sirolf said:
I'm in tears here !
I'm happy to entertain.
Souldriver said:
Honestly, Linux is an open source platform that would never get any commercial release (meaning no for consumers) and OSX is proprietary on Mac computers.

Armitage

Dolphin said:
I'm happy to entertain.
Honestly, Linux is an open source platform that would never get any commercial release (meaning no for consumers) and OSX is proprietary on Mac computers.

Not to be rude but you're clearly clueless here.

Dolphin

Banned
Armitage said:
That is rude. Please explain.

[edit]
...I know that OSX is Linux based, so I'm not really sure why I'm "clueless." And Jeez you guys are touchy, it was just a museful suggestion.

the thoroughbred said:

Yeah, but Apple is one of the pioneers in OS developing, it has a large history. The majority of the profit right now comes from the iPod btw, and Apple can only survive because it couples the OS to Apple made hardware (Nintendo could do this too though).

Apple has established a it's place in the niche market. I don't think any newcomer could come up with some really new thing that would give them anything more than <1% marketshare.

The claim that Nintendo would start competing MS in the OS department is quite out there...

Dolphin said:
I'm happy to entertain.

What?

Dolphin said:

:lol You kidding?

Axalon

Dolphin said:
...I know that OSX is Linux based, so I'm not really sure why I'm "clueless." And Jeez you guys are touchy, it was just a museful suggestion.

OSX is Unix based, to be more specific, BSD.

Also, Linux is distributed commercially, in the form of professional support for distributions. Red Hat is an example of this.

Dolphin

Banned
typo said:
Fine, I understand you're aquatic and all, but that's the most ridiculous thing this landwalker has ever heard.
jooey said:
Sirolf said:
I'm in tears here !
Armitage said:
RiskyChris said:
CrushDance said:
:lol You kidding?
So clearly GAF is very helpful. I'm not an expert by any means on the subject, but I'm not a complete moron either. I'm about 95% positive that Nintendo would never do this, but I thought it was mildly interesting. Thanks for all the great feedback and thought though! I would by no means consider your responses asinine and sophomoric if I ever met you guys in real life.
OSX is Unix based, to be more specific, BSD.

Also, Linux is distributed commercially, in the form of professional support for distributions. Red Hat is an example of this.
Like I said, I never claimed to know that much about this stuff, but I was close. There aren't any other mass consumer friendly operating systems available for PCs other than Windows. I appreciate your response.

CTLance

SMALLTALK LIVES! WOOHOOO!

Interesting, but pretty useless on its own. I get the possible implications for future Nintendo consoles/handhelds, but honestly... why bother with it now. Quite an esoteric mix of software, though. ECMAscript (Javascript)? Seriously? :lol

Souldriver said:
Yeah, but Apple is one of the pioneers in OS developing, it has a large history. The majority of the profit right now comes from the iPod btw, and Apple can only survive because it couples the OS to Apple made hardware (Nintendo could do this too though).

Apple has established a it's place in the niche market. I don't think any newcomer could come up with some really new thing that would give them anything more than <1% marketshare.

The claim that Nintendo would start competing MS in the OS department is quite out there...
true... very out there actually.

Ages ago, they reported that they were working on making tools to give to 3rd party devs, apparently they were going to be these amazing tools. Whatever happened to that? Maybe this is something to do with that.

wsippel

Banned
CTLance said:
SMALLTALK LIVES! WOOHOOO!

Interesting, but pretty useless on its own. I get the possible implications for future Nintendo consoles/handhelds, but honestly... why bother with it now. Quite an esoteric mix of software, though. ECMAscript (Javascript)? Seriously? :lol
ECMA makes sense for rapid prototyping. I'm sure Nintendo created and released the OS for some reason - I just don't understand. Homebrew?

The reason I asked was because if Nintendo doesn't start expanding after this round and the next(2 generation win rule after all) and they lose in the future...I mean when you lose you lose hard in the gaming business. Sure they can live off like they usually do with fan base only and games.

But if they haven't expanded yet...and don't after these next generations then when they lose leadership it'll hurt them big time. Companies expand for a reason, not because they want to spend money on new avenues. But because it's a necessity to survive.

And Nintendo isn't going to make an OS.

"Like I said, I never claimed to know that much about this stuff, but I was close. There aren't any other mass consumer friendly operating systems available for PCs other than Windows. I appreciate your response."

Close in the sense that Microsoft has a monopoly on it sure. There's a couple of countries, I know france is one of them, that is forcing manufacteurs to give an alternative choice besides windows on their computer such as linux. They are starting to become more consumer integrated but still not main stream in most places.

NotWii

Banned
Wow, this is pretty interesting

Dolphin said:

I'm dying here :lol

regs

Axalon said:

Ohhh, and supporting Linux distributions in a corporate environment makes my (and I am sure some others here) pockets FAAAT

mj1108

CrushDance said:
The reason I asked was because if Nintendo doesn't start expanding after this round and the next(2 generation win rule after all) and they lose in the future...I mean when you lose you lose hard in the gaming business. Sure they can live off like they usually do with fan base only and games.

But if they haven't expanded yet...and don't after these next generations then when they lose leadership it'll hurt them big time. Companies expand for a reason, not because they want to spend money on new avenues. But because it's a necessity to survive.

And Nintendo isn't going to make an OS.

You sound like Nintendo has a problem making money.

Armitage

Dolphin said:
Like I said, I never claimed to know that much about this stuff, but I was close. There aren't any other mass consumer friendly operating systems available for PCs other than Windows. I appreciate your response.

The thing is, the OS market is very complicated. No one wants to write an essay detailing every facet of it.

CTLance

Man, the sourceforge page is proof that machine translations make EVERYTHING better.

DixTypeMux has received ISANETTOPAKETTO (frame) header packets depending upon the type of dixInProtocol (IPv4), dixArpProtocol (ARP) packets to&#27969;SHIMASU. DixInProtocol dixArpProtocol and the packets transmitted to each appropriate ISANETTOPAKETTOHEDDA added.

Just as I expected, they're rolling everything on their own. What a waste of time and energy.... on the other hand, it's a research project, so it's one perfectly valid way to go about it. Nonetheless, UGH. :lol

Nintendo strikes me as extremely susceptible to NIHS (Not-invented-here-syndrome) though.

Can't wait to dive into their sourcecode soon. I wouldn't be surprised if they shun the STL and just rewrite everything from scratch.

Gotta bookmark the site.

M3d10n

Alright, both my sarcasm and joke detectors are broken tonight. Is this serious? Nintendo made the source code of *anything* available at sourceforge? And an operating system no less?

What. the. heck?

I mean, it could make sense: quickly develop an OS for their next-gen stuff taking advantage of an open source community for free. But this is Nintendo we're talking about. It's the equivalent of Scrooge McDuck running a non-profit organization or something.

Link1110

Dolphin said:

Nintendo will be serious competition in the os market like Microsoft is serious competition to Nintendo in the Japanese console market.

CTLance

Oh god, I didn't even notice this until now.... Nintendo ES.
Hurrr hurrr.

M3d10n said:
Alright, both my sarcasm and joke detectors are broken tonight. Is this serious? Nintendo made the source code of *anything* available at sourceforge? And an operating system no less?
What. the. heck?
[...]It's the equivalent of Scrooge McDuck running a non-profit organization or something.
Yah, threw me for a loop too.
It's a research project.
I'd think they gave new programmers something to do that nets them some experience. Just like with many other jobs where newb network admins get to install practice servers according to a random spec and so on. Great way to judge their prowess, they're busy, and they learn stuff important to their job at the new company.

About the license... it's (c) Nintendo. The whole license is in a COPYING file in the source.

Copyright (c) 2006, 2007
Nintendo Co., Ltd.

Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and sell this software
And its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee,
Provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and
That both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear
In supporting documentation. Nintendo makes no
Representations about the suitability of this software for any
Purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.

Hmmmm, seems quite un-Nintendo-y.

wsippel

Banned
CTLance said:
Yah, threw me for a loop too.
It's a research project.
I'd think they gave new programmers something to do that nets them some experience. Just like with many other jobs where newb network admins get to install practice servers according to a random spec and so on. Great way to judge their prowess, they're busy, and they learn stuff important to their job at the new company.
Well, one of the developers is Shiki Okasaki. He was part of the Plan9 community back in 1993 it seems, so he's probably not a rooky programmer. Other than that, these were the only things I could find out about him:

http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200707/000020070707A0174976.php
http://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/110002876240/en/

The first link is about something nes-related as far as I can tell.

chakoo

Banned
Interesting. I've always been currious to see the src to a less complex os.

I'll have to read through the source tomorrow.

Someone on the osnews.com site made an interesting comment about ES potentially being used for Nintendo Wii homebrew creation. Though I'm sure this is just Nintendo screwing around with ideas instead of making Pikmin 3 or something.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
While I don't think this is necessarily meant to "do" much as far as business goes, I'm puzzling over the point of it as well. The idea of being a junior staff project does make sense, but ... well, I'm puzzled.

Perhaps this is part of developing a Linux compatible Nintendo developed development package? Everything provided by Nintendo in one easy kit?

maxmars

Dolphin said:

No, not really. All the extra user friendliness of Windows vs. Linux nowadays comes from the fact that you already can use it and find it preinstalled+preconfigured so you don't need to install it yourself.

To the OP: thanks for the link, I love such weird things, will explore. :D

maxmars said:
No, not really. All the extra user friendliness of Windows vs. Linux nowadays comes from the fact that you already can use it and find it preinstalled+preconfigured so you don't need to install it yourself.

To the OP: thanks for the link, I love such weird things, will explore. :D

No, it comes from the fact that Linux distros are incapable of operating fully through the GUI. There are always text based commands and that absolutely kills the programs chances for success in the mainstream market.

maxmars

IronicallyTwisted said:
No, it comes from the fact that Linux distros are incapable of operating fully through the GUI. There are always text based commands and that absolutely kills the programs chances for success in the mainstream market.

No, that's not the case anymore. There's text-based stuff (and it's heaps and bounds more productive than what's on Windows by default) but it's completely optional. Completely.

Today you can manage a Linux box for everyday tasks (update the os, configure it, install programs) without ever opening a command shell -- of course not every distribution allows you to do so, SuSE certainly does.

maxmars said:
No, that's not the case anymore. There's text-based stuff (and it's heaps and bounds more productive than what's on Windows by default) but it's completely optional. Completely.

Today you can manage a Linux box for everyday tasks (update the os, configure it, install programs) without ever opening a command shell -- of course not every distribution allows you to do so, SuSE certainly does.

Ubuntu is boasted as the most user friendly distro and you certainly do have to use commands for more complicated tasks. Not to mention hardware detection is subpar, and the drivers are still terrible for graphics cards.

maxmars

IronicallyTwisted said:
Ubuntu is boasted as the most user friendly distro and you certainly do have to use commands for more complicated tasks. Not to mention hardware detection is subpar, and the drivers are still terrible for graphics cards.

Then evidently Ubuntu isn't that user friendly, because I can even administer pop3 and samba servers without recurring to the command line.

I don't even need a program to do that because a SuSE linux box publishes on a tcp port (if you want) a java applet version of VNC, so you only need to point your browser towards your machine and you can manage it.

Also, the mass market I'm sure can do without more complicated tasks; give them web access, office applications, p2p, media playing capabilities, cd/dvd burning, games.. All the stuff you need is there. And most of the times you don't even need to download it because it's part of the install DVD.

Oh, and about hardware detection: this week I got a brand new nice tv/monitor; Windows couldn't use it properly until I popped in a CD, while Linux automatically suggested me to use a 1680x1050 resolution; same was for the laser printer. Anedoctal, sure, but nowadays the better support is not determined a byproduct of the OS architecture anymore.

Top Bottom