• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hype: Card Hero looks pretty awesome. Edit: Is pretty awesome

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Card Hero is a DS game that is coming out this week for DS. It's made by everyone's favorite Intelligent Systems, and it looks like it really uses the DS touch screen in interesting ways.

Here's a video:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/ychj/index.html (click on the next to last "card" for movies)

Basically it plays like a normal card game, with monsters fighting each other, and you also have cards that allow special attacks and stuff. The game also has something called stones that you recieve when your monsters die, you can use these stones to do special attacks, level up monsters, and even evolve your monsters Pokeyman style. You can also use Wi-fi to trade cards with your friends for "money" and the game is also voice chat compatible. Also has online battles with or without friend codes.

The game got straight 9's in Famitsu and it is IS, so hopefully the game is good.

(This post is neither paid for nor endorsed by Nintendo)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I do think the game mechanics could be pretty fun, but it has that look to it sort of like Soma Bringer and Spectrobes that really dampers my enjoyment... I guess the best way to describe it would be big, shapeless, flat-shaded 2-d but polygonal characters.

Zilch

Banned
The polygon models of the creatures look detailed and they animated pretty fast. The next Pokemon game should definitely look like that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I liked it when looking at some magazine scans this week. It sounds interesting and I dig the style, but I won't get hyped unless there's an official announcement of an English release. I know it's soon to want that, it's just that I've been too hurt already.

A card game made by IntSys? I'm interested. I like the music and the card art and I've been known to play a few card games in my day. The battlefield could be a bit more dynamic and I'm not really keen on the character designs but I'm still going to give it a shot. (If it comes out in NA)

sp0rsk said:
Yasser said:
according to jouji kamitani from vanillaware this is "a hot game with an excellent beginning"
Word? Well, if Kamitani likes it...

Actually, Mr. Kamitani was referring to the original Card Hero for Game Boy Color in that quote. It's from an interview he recently did with RPGFan. (The last question in the link)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
sp0rsk said:
Card Hero is a DS game that is coming out this week for DS. It's made by everyone's favorite Intelligent Systems, and it looks like it really uses the DS touch screen in interesting ways.
Interest + a bajillion.

Yasser

Gunloc said:
Actually, Mr. Kamitani was referring to the original Card Hero for Game Boy Color in that quote. It's from an interview he recently did with RPGFan. (The last question in the link)
ah my bad but either way i'm pretty hot for this, it needs a translation

Calimero

Being an ex MtG early days player I've always thought that the original GBC game was one on the best-if not THE best- card based videogame ever; I really loved the mechanics.

I don't dig very much this new pseudo-cool techno design, but still hope that it's accessible to import like the original GBC one was.

Llyranor

I love collectible card games, but don't have the time to invest in the real stuff, so videogame versions quite appeal to me. Heck, I'm even enjoying Yu-Gi-Oh World Championship 07.

If they localize this, I'm essentially sold, given IntSys' pedigree.

ziran

I've been really looking forward to this game ever since Shikamaru Ninja said it's likely a Yoshio Sakamoto game (SPD1 - Metroid, WarioWare, Rhythm Tengoku), and the often used SPD1/Intelligent Systems dev arrangement.

Sakamoto created the GBC game:
http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=413
Q: Please explain your role in Trade & Battle: Card Hero?

Yoshio Sakamoto: My role was a directorial one. I wrote the script and was a lead game designer on this projevt. The first thing I was involved with was creating the card system that was going to be used. I had the development team consider various types of cards, and we sort of picked the best of the lot and threw them in the game. Around this time, card games were once again very popular in Japan. We also spent a majority of our time designing the battle system. The game was roughly in design stages for 4 years.
The interview's short but interesting.

I've been reading up about it, here are some descriptions about the gameplay. Some extracts, the whole things are worth reading if you're interested:
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/133/133470p1.html
The game itself is similar to the Pokemon series in that it is an RPG that thrives on battling and trading your friends via the link cable. There is a map of your town with various locations to interact with characters, buy new cards with your weekly allowance, etc. You aren't able to walk freely around the map, but simply move your character to each location. Each new location is unlocked as the story progresses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_Hero
The main objective of the Card Hero is to defeat your opponent's Master card. To do so you have Stones that are used to play cards and four Monster card slots (two in the front row and two in the back). You attack the opponent's Master to drain his HP to 0 and win the game. However, it isn't as easy as it sounds; the Master has a shield of 2HP, which is usually the maximum strength of most Monster cards' attacks. Therefore, you can only damage your opponent if the strength of an attack is 3 or higher, and the damage would then be reduced by 2.

Despite the fact that most Monsters are unable to damage the Master initially, there are several ways to increase its strength so that it can. One way is to have the Monster card not move for one turn. On the next turn, it will become charged. This causes the strength of the Monster's charge attack to increase by 1. You can also use items on the Monster, such as Power-up. The probably most preferred way to strengthen a Monster is by increasing its level, which can be done by defeating another Monster.

There are three different rulesets in this game: Junior, Senior, and Pro, which affect the number of cards in your deck and the master cards. The Junior game is very basic; players use decks of 20 cards (15 in the Game Boy Color game) and normal Masters with 5HP. The Senior game is basically the same, but with the addition of Magic Master cards. The Pro ruleset uses 30 cards and Magic Masters with 10HP.
Hopefully it will be localised, if not I might have to get the Japanese version anyway, it sounds too great to miss! :D

Taichu

Well, we never got the original Card Hero on Game Boy Colour, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this to come over here. I always thought it was weird Nintendo didn't bring it over because, it seemed very similiar to Pokemon which was all the rage back then. I think the card shop owner had a trophy in Smash Melee too.

Anyways, the cart aspect of the game seems pretty limited. 20 cards? Only 4 slots, two of which for your monsters? Get Yu-Gi-Oh 2008 instead.

sprsk

Sakamoto's involvement just made my interest go up a few points. Gettin' kinda pumped!

Troidal

I played the original GBC game and I remember being pretty hooked on it. It got tougher towards the later half so I never managed to beat it though.

It's been so long since the first one, but I may pick this up down the line.

What good games has IS made?

Edit: Not a troll, I just seem to remember being generally let down by IS games, but I don't know what all they have done.

Kazenone

ratcliffja said:
What good games has IS made?

Edit: Not a troll, I just seem to remember being generally let down by IS games, but I don't know what all they have done.

!

Advance Wars, WarioWare, Paper Mario series, Fire Emblem. Am I missing any?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I guess everyone missed how I kept bitching when this was announced because it's not 2D Metroid? :lol

I hope this game makes it to NA, the GBC game didn't.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Pureauthor said:
*taps finger on the side of the localization potential meter*

Hmmm....

No, it's not broken, we really do have more chance of seeing Mother 3 localized than this, grr, cause it sounds very fun, and its Int Sys, :(

TreIII

Stop It said:
No, it's not broken, we really do have more chance of seeing Mother 3 localized than this, grr, cause it sounds very fun, and its Int Sys, :(

Ya really think so?

If it were me, I would think that this would be the perfect answer for Ninty, in light of the likes of Wizards & Sony stepping up for, as well as Konami always providing for, the supposed call for more card game simulations.

I'm *dying* to try this game out. I hope it comes out in the US, because I don't think I could survive playing through a trading card game while looking up into a translation faq constantly. :(

sprsk

I played through the demo and I'm going through the equivalent part in the real game right now. I have no impressions as I haven't really hit the meat of the game.

I see a lot of potential though.

jesusraz

Have you played the GBC original? What do you reckon of the music so far? Oh, and was the demo just from the DS Download Station or from the Minna no Nintendo channel? Would be good if Nintendo is pushing this as much as possible so it doesn't get crushed by FFIV...It seems to be doing quite well on the Amazon JPN chart, but that's obviously not always indicative of a game's performance in the M-C chart.

Troidal

Oh shit, this is out THIS WEEK?

Man there's also FFIV, but I think I'm gonna end up grabbing this one instead.

CARD HERO RESPECT!

sprsk

jesusraz said:
Have you played the GBC original? What do you reckon of the music so far? Oh, and was the demo just from the DS Download Station or from the Minna no Nintendo channel? Would be good if Nintendo is pushing this as much as possible so it doesn't get crushed by FFIV...It seems to be doing quite well on the Amazon JPN chart, but that's obviously not always indicative of a game's performance in the M-C chart.

On the Wii DS channel.

I haven't played the original. The music is pretty good. I'm getting addicted to this game pretty quick. Collecting cards is fun, and battles are great. The amount of strategy required is just right.

The story parts are a little lame though.

Jirotrom

I used to diss card games until I played Culdcept... i am officially very excited for this game as well as Culdcept Saga on 360 and Culdcept for DS.:D Intelligent systems rox my sox!

jesusraz

Quite a few of the characters give off an air of WarioWare (in a good way), especially that girl with the long pink hair. And that trainer type guy looks like a young Iwata! Shame to hear the story's weak so far, though... :(

apujanata

Thanks for the new, sporsk.

I hope this is released in US, so I can buy and play it. Any game made by IntSys is a "must consider to buy" for me.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
jesusraz said:
Quite a few of the characters give off an air of WarioWare (in a good way), especially that girl with the long pink hair. And that trainer type guy looks like a young Iwata! Shame to hear the story's weak so far, though... :(
Same team. :p

sprsk

jesusraz said:

In the game's intro, I swear there are two characters that look like grown up versions of the ninja girls from wario ware.

Troidal

I played the demo and felt like it was exactly the same game from the original, except for the obvious changes in character design and presentation. Not that it's a bad thing, but I wonder what's new in this DS version?

jesusraz

I honestly thought there was some sort of wandering around element to the game...an 'RPG' feel to it. Now I've come to realise that's not the case in the slightest and it's just HEAPS of text and constant card battles. It's fun to a point, but unless it's the story that gives it an edge (which from sp0rsk's 'a little lame' comment, I doubt it), I don't think it's anything too special. So far I've spent more time tapping the screen to scroll through endless text than anything else :/

I am four or five 'chapters' in now and it's just been exactly the same routine over and over again. I presume the battles must expand beyond the simple 2 vs. 2 grids early in the game...right sp0rsk (depends how far you've got, I suppose)? If not, I don't think I'll be trudging through this for much longer.

Top Bottom