• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Halo 2 Thread

LukeSmith

Halo-receipt.jpg

Now that I have the retail game. I am going to post some impressions. I will post all impressions in spoiler tags, but I will be giving NO specific story details away.
Each paragraph is a different facet: Single player; Multiplayer; the bad; DVD.

Single-player: The Missions go by extremely quickly. Before I knew it I was on my fourth mission of the game. Combat is excellent and rewarding. Dual wielding is a riot and the SMG solves problems.

Multiplayer: I created my clan last night and sent out a couple of invites to friends of mine. The game is liveaware so tons of people from my Friends' List were trying to get me to come into Dashboard chat while I was playing. No word on the function of quickmatch as no one was online to play with. The only multiplayer map I looked at was a familiar map. I'll spare the details until I am Mod approved, but the texturing and models in this familiar map were simply incredible.

The Bad: The frame rate stopped on me at one point last night, the texturing between cutscenes and game render is clearly different. Sometimes the textures pop in while the game loads (it looks similar to the Offensive Linemen issue in madden, though the first Halo had its fair share of graphical issues, as well).

Collector's DVD: I watched the first documentary and a shorter version of it was doled out by Bungie. In it, they address the selfshadowing and real time reflection of masterchief in the original "Announce Trailer" saying that they simply couldn't get the game to run when they had the rendering set up like that.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It should be safe. They shouldn't ban you because some stupid store sold it to you early

MrparisSM

Banned
You've got to be kidding me. I thought a Mod stated in the other thread that you could NOT post impressions until Nov. 9th? If it was that important for you to do, oh well...

SantaC

Thanks for impressions. Sounds nice!

You've got to be kidding me. I thought a Mod stated in the other thread that you could NOT post impressions until Nov. 9th? If it was that important for you to do, oh well...

Oh give him a break, it's not the end of the world. Atleast he bought a copy.

MrparisSM

Banned
Wario64 said:
It should be safe. They shouldn't ban you because some stupid store sold it to you early

More than likely he will be, a mod told him not to until Nov. 9th in the other thread. Why couldn't he just wait?

gunstarhero

Dont see the big deal if you post impressions - who are you hurting by doing so? If you dont want to know anything beofre the 9th, then don't come in here... :p

Scoot - does it seem harder/easier then the first Halo? (talking about the single player mode).

Bigfoot

MrparisSM said:
More than likely he will be, a mod told him not to until Nov. 9th in the other thread. Why couldn't he just wait?
Noone is making you read the impressions. The thread title is also pretty clear, so why not let him post impressions. He's done nothing illegal so he shouldn't be banned.

I'd like to hear more too. When you say the levels go quicker, does this mean the game is shorter? How many levels are there?

MrparisSM

Banned
DarienA said:
For those too lazy:

Tre:

You guys have the game. You can say whatever you want about it on here. Be kind and put SPOILER tags around everything relating to the game so people won't get bent out of shape for accidentally reading something they didn't want to.

Jonnyram said:
OK, you got the game legally (at least legally from your side) but you still can't talk about it until Nov 9th, OK?

Tre is labeled a "Junior Member", is he a Mod?

And I was thinking Jonnyram is a mod, and that is what he said what I have quoted.

gunstarhero

When you say the levels go quicker, does this mean the game is shorter? How many levels are there?

On top of this - do you think your ripping thru it (maybe driving through most of the level or whatnot) or maybe it's alittle easier so the levels are flying by?

god....i'm jealous.

BuddyC

MrparisSM said:
MrparisSM said:
what.gif

LukeSmith

On levels "going by fast."

What I mean by "going by faster" -- is that the actual levels don't break up -- there's no real loading break in the continuity from the first area until the area I'm at (4th area) it's a single continuous experience. There's a single load screen when the game boots up and from then on you are pretty much on the go. That makes everything feel quicker. However, in an hour (on foot, I literally just hopped in my first vehicle last night before I went to bed (6 a.m.) I was in the midst of the fourth "mission" though the first one technically might not count for reasons I will refrain from listing.

MrparisSM

Banned
I'm sorry if it seems like I'm raining on ya'lls parade or whatever. But I'm really concerned that fakers and piraters are going to hijack this thread and talk all kinds of Negative stuff about the game(even though they may have not even played it) or they just hated Halo in the first place.) Also ANY negative thing(because no game is perfect) is going to be blown WAAAYYY out of proportion and made bigger than it actually is. if the mods are going to allow this thread, we shall see...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
maybe the mods don't want anyone posting because one of them will have to mod this thread and check its OK? Surely there must be one mod not bothered about Halo2?

BuddyC

MrparisSM said:
I'm sorry if it seems like I'm raining on ya'lls parade or whatever. But I'm really concerned that fakers and piraters are going to hijack this thread and talk all kinds of Negative stuff about the game(even though they may have not even played it) or they just hated Halo in the first place.) Also ANY negative thing(because no game is perfect) is going to be blown WAAAYYY out of proportion and made bigger than it actually is. if the mods are going to allow this thread, we shall see...
Wait wait, who's forcing you to read this thread again? And what's to stop the "fakers and piraters" from doing this on November 9th?

MrparisSM

Banned
BuddyChrist83 said:
Wait wait, who's forcing you to read this thread again? And what's to stop the "fakers and piraters" from doing this on November 9th?

Well it will be different, because the experience of owning the game and discovering something new won't be ruined. Also there will be a lot more TRUE fans to give impressions to combat the "fakers and piraters".

Sai

Scoot, throw me an invite when you get the chance. I want to see how this game runs on LIVE.

LukeSmith

I will not be posting anything in non-spoiler tagged content regarding the game until the Ninth. I had the plot ruined for me at the French launch and there's no way I'd do that to ya'all. I will continue to update on gameplay mechanics and answer questions either by PMing people or posting the responses here, but I have no interest in ruining the experience for anyone.

It's too bad I don't have a gaming site, I could have the internet exclusive.

MrParisSM: Go troll elsewhere. This is for impressions and questions about the retail build--not your little faux-trolling. Chillax, yo.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
MrparisSM said:

Why can't you just stay out of these threads? It specifically says "impressions" in the thread title.

BuddyC

MrparisSM said:
Well it will be different, because the experience of owning the game and discovering something new won't be ruined. Also there will be a lot more TRUE fans to give impressions to combat the "fakers and piraters".
There's so much wrong here, but I leave it in the hands of GAF.

I certainly understand that you don't want someone "ruining" Halo 2 for you, but uh, the solution to that is for you not to come into these threads, not the other way around. People are going to troll Halo 2. Get over it.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Doom_Bringer said:
I like how you can see your can see MC's legs when you are walking and look down. I don't any FPS has done that before.
Breakdown and Riddick both did, off the top of my head.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MrparisSM said:

What about the people who won't buy it on the 9th? Or that won't play through it as quickly as others? Oh the humanity!

It is only a game.

Bigfoot

BuddyChrist83 said:
Maybe he's worried that someone's bad impressions might make someone cancel their preorder, thus less sales for Bungie :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
MrparisSM said:

Dude, quit crying and simply don't click on this thread until Next Tuesday after you have bought the game for yourself. Problem solved. Some of us don't mind "spoilers" and really want to know more about the game from firsthand experience. Stop being a baby and please go read another thread if it bothers you that much.

Scoot, good job and thank you. Keep the impressions coming please.

gunstarhero

Scoot:

Would you say the first few levels are more/less difficult?

Dude, quit crying and simply don't click on this thread until Next Tuesday after you have bought the game for yourself. Problem solved. Some of us don't mind "spoilers" and really want to know more about the game from firsthand experience. Stop being a baby and please go read another thread if it bothers you that much.

...Thank you, saved me the time.

LukeSmith

Weapons and dual wielding
Dual wielding is a riot. I spent much of my dual wielding using an SMG in my left hand and a Plasma Rifle in my right hand. The plasma rifle is much more abundant in this game, some grunts appear to have them, and on Heroic, Elites are everywhere. The Battle Rifle is good, but seems pretty uselses against elites, I use it more to clean up straggling grunts. The special sauce for elites is still SMG+Plasma rifle. The magnum pistol has been toned down, but I am confident it will have its use later. The needler is very interesting this time, in dual wielding it reloads extremely fast, the SMG reloads pretty slow. A note on the Needler: In a familiar map, the needler is placed at the center of the map, as if to indicate it's importance as a dominant weapon. The Rocket Launcher is also near the center of this familiar map.

These aren't spoilers or impressions, come on people drop some bombs. Doth and I revealed more last week and the week before.

Sysgen

MrparisSM said:

IAWTP Can't this shit just wait till we all have the game?

border

Tresspasser just let you look at your tits. I don't think you could see the characters' legs. They were pretty big tits.

LukeSmith

gunstarhero said:
Scoot:

Would you say the first few levels are more/less difficult?

Answer to question:
The first level is VERY familar, in that it reminds me of the first level in the last game. From a design standpoint it's much different, just atmospherically. There are a couple of really tricky rooms (FYI, I used to compete in Halo tournaments against guys in PS and legit clans, so I would say I am significantly better than average at the first game) and I died a bunch, running and gunning works sometimes, but flanking the elites works well. When the Elites Dual Wield -- which they do -- and more than one of them does it at a time -- they will actually keep a steady stream of plasma shooting to keep you pinned down. It was really awesome. There are some really nice encounters alongside marines (no ODSTs) and the Marine AI is really good this time. Alot of nice sniper shots from one familiar marine in particular

Sai

Scoot said:
The Battle Rifle is good, but seems pretty uselses against elites
I disagree~ I've been tearing them up with the Battle Rifle on Outskirts. I think it's easier to nail their heads in HALO 2. Or maybe it's just me.

Of course, Dual Wielding is the best way to take them out. Plasma Pistol/Rifle with SMG or Magnum usually takes 'em down really nice and quick.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
border said:
Tresspasser just let you look at your tits. I don't think you could see the characters' legs. They were pretty big tits.

Let us never speak of the evil that is Tresspasser again. Human arms should not move like that!!!

Scoot said:
There are some really nice encounters alongside marines (no ODSTs) and the Marine AI is really good this time. Alot of nice sniper shots from one familiar marine in particular

I believe the
first guy you talk to when calibrating your aim is an ODST.
I could be wrong though.

LukeSmith

Sai said:
I disagree~ I've been tearing them up with the Battle Rifle on Outskirts. I think it's easier to nail their heads in HALO 2. Or maybe it's just me.

Of course, Dual Wielding is the best way to take them out. Plasma Pistol/Rifle with SMG or Magnum usually takes 'em down really nice and quick.

Reply to quote: WARNING: Includes MISSION DETAILS for Sai and those who want to know them, but it contains a specific encounter (not story related, just an encounter that is memorable early on). FYI

I love that battle rifle, I just find it takes some time to finish them off. Also, what difficulty are you playing on? I'm on heroic.
I just get impatient with nickeling and diming the elites with the BR.
On outskirts have you fought the ghosts? That bit was amazing.

The Carbine is amazing, and when I first picked up the sword -- chrissakes. That thing solves issues like a therapist.

SyNapSe

MrparisSM said:

Wow. Go XBOX power!!

Scoot,

Nice impressions so far. It's just like getting a review a few days early. Is the framerate fairly comparable to the first Halo? It was jumpy, but didn't bother me too much.

MrparisSM said:

Oh my god, now if I clear the spoilers I will know something about the game! I cant be trusted to not clear the spoilers!! WAAAAHHAAHHAHAH.

Fucking pussy. Choke on a dick.

LukeSmith

SyNapSe said:
Wow. Go XBOX power!!

Scoot,

Nice impressions so far. It's just like getting a review a few days early. Is the framerate fairly comparable to the first Halo? It was jumpy, but didn't bother me too much.

On framerate:
I'm not a framerate whore, and I could cope with alot of the frame issues in Halo because they were during loading segments much of the time and between checkpoints. There has been one sort of hiccup where the frame actually locked for a second. When that happened I quick got killed and reentered the area and the frame rate was fine, so it wasn't a single repeating offense, which was good. During cutscenes, as I previously mentioned there is some rendering and texture pop-in, I can deal with it -- the level of detail is pretty damn nice. I'll have to pop riddick back in, because that game looked great and ran really solid, but didn't have the sprawling warfare that Halo 2 does (thus far). I'm interested to see how everything holds up -- it is definitely finer tuned than the first game though (again, thus far) but with games running silky smooth on high end PCs some people will inevitably be disappointed with Halo 2's pretty rock solid 30FPS - that hiccup I mentioned.

Property of Microsoft said:
Oh my god, now if I clear the spoilers I will know something about the game! I cant be trusted to not clear the spoilers!! WAAAAHHAAHHAHAH.

Fucking pussy. Choke on a dick.

YIKES!

Sai

Scoot said:
Also, what difficulty are you playing on? I'm on heroic.
Heroic as well. There is much too big of a gap between Heroic and Legendary, IMO. I was only able to get about half way through the first level before I kept dying over and over. And I always choose Legendary difficulty for the first game.

For now, I'm sticking with Heroic. Legendary left scars.

Scoot said:
On outskirts have you fought the ghosts? That bit was amazing.
Towards the end, in that tunnel, right? I liked that part quite a bit. A shame those Ghosts aren't nearly as resilient in Multiplayer though.

That entire level(Outskirts) is just really great.

Eh, just a few things about some of the Covenant :

It's just... Weird hearing Elites speak english the first time around.

I've noticed that it's a lot easier to avoid melees.

Although I haven't played that particular level on Legendary just yet(the gap between Heroic and Legendary is very big), Hunters on Heroic aren't all that much harder than they were in the first game. And their weapons don't fire lobs of plasma anymore, it's like a continuous stream. They have another melee attack for opponents behind them, and their regular melees seem to be a bit wider this time around.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Most of what has been posted haven't been like extremely huge, significant spoilers. If you're going to post a bigger spoiler though, like plot twists and the like please not only put the tags up, but give fair warning beforehand. I don't care about reading good dual wielding combos and the like, but big spoilers should definitely have warning+tags so I don't accidentally read them. Thanks guys!

hobart

Just to say: well done with impressions/spoilers guys. Really appreciate the care you are taking with it.

Top Bottom