• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The demise of the Xbox shows the true important of quality, exclusive SINGLE PLAYER GAMES on your platform

Puscifer

All multiplatform titles available on Xbox. The difference is the exclusives. The reason people buy PS twice as much as they do Xbox is because of the quality exclusives.
I mean it's hard to argue with this. OG Xbox was the only time they tried, they rode a wave of bad business and marketing decisions by Sony. I don't know what it was about 2009, but that logo redesign, the PS3 slim and Uncharted 2 E3 showing was like a combo of things that instantly made me jump off my 360 to a PS3, it highlighted everything wrong with Xbox. There's no experiences, there's products.

Everything they made was to get me to subscribe to Xbox live and the ecosystem but I don't care about multiplayer outside of COD and even now I play that on PC because I'm not giving anyone 80 dollars a year to subscribe.

Js562

it's gonna keep going until xbox eventually retires from hardware so get used to the hate
I don't think they will retire from the scene. I already got used to it for awhile. I got all the consoles but shit is entertaining when I see a thread about it

Dutchy

The time for this would have been way back when so many were pretending that an HD DVD drive, 6tf, and compatibility with 360 games were world-beating features. It was too late for games to save them even before the series launched. They just ignored it for too long..
For real. They probably knew it was a sinking ship, but admitting so would require some integrity. It's far more fun and convenient to be gullible. If anything they just sped up the brands demise.

Halo Infinite campaign? (received great reviews from critics and was GAF's GOTY)
If I see this statement one more time imma punch a wall.

The game wasn't even out for 2 fucking weeks before the votings closed. People barely got around playing it. The "mash-up" picture showing why people "liked" it contained a bunch of features that weren't even in the game 😂

And lo and behold it only took 6 months for player numbers to stoop down below that of MCC (Which is 90% Halo 3, a game from 2007 mind you)

Even now it has less players than MCC and they've thrown numerous updates and whole ass game modes against it.

If anything, Halo Infinite (and pretty much all of 343's work) should be a prime example of yet another mismanaged mess under the Xbox umbrella.

Nvzman

Hi-Fi Rush is the best new single-player console exclusive of 2023, so not really...
I liked Hi-Fi Rush but Spider-Man 2 was significantly better. The hate it gets on gaf is absurd, yes it has some obnoxiously PC writing but the actual gameplay was a massive step up in every way from its predecessor. Everything felt less automated and more difficult which was great.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I don't think they will retire from the scene.
Hardware. Xbox is never dying as a brand. It's been around for 23 years, it has some value. They're just making the sensible decision to stop playing ball in a court too difficult for them. I hope, if this news is true at least.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The fact that so many people have allowed companies like MS to convince them that exclusives don’t matter is pretty indicative of how easy it is to form a narrative in the minds of people who like your plastic box.

Of course exclusive games matter. They always have. They always will.

A USP is the most important thing a product can have. It’s the holy grail. Why do you think advertisers spend billions trying to convince customers that their particular product is better than their rivals, because it does things the others can’t/won‘t do?

Phil and company rendered the Xbox virtually pointless as a product by removing its USP.

Del_X

It shows the importance of not fucking up 11 years ago. Had Xbox One came out earlier and not had the terrible online-drm-on-your-disc shit and not been 30% weaker than the PS4, Xbox would have been decently competitive.

Most gamers still just play GTAV, CoD, and Madden. TLOU did not cement Sony's place and Spider-Man came out deep into last gen.

MS under Phil Spencer seemed to not even want to try and build unique AAA exclusive IP. He made ridiculous statements that time about GREAT GAMES IS NOT GOING TO SELL XBOXES and STARFIELD BEING AN 11 OUT OF 10 WONT MATTER. The man should have been canned right after those statements. It showed he has no clue as to what they need to compete. He was all in on sub based gaming via Gamepass and could care less for consoles or great games. With all the studios they acquired and all the money spent under Phil, they couldn’t even manage to do what Sony does so relatively easy…….build quality exclusives. That is why they are where they are and Gamepass has damaged the brand overall as well. Phil said you don’t need our console to play our games and putting the few they had day one on gamepass pretty much cannibalized much needed game sales. Phil loves to talk but has managed to do more harm that Mattrick ever did. Anyone who believes him at this point is an utter moron. Im sure he will be slick and try to spin this next week as another one of his BETTER FOR XBOX speeches as well.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I think the main reason the younger generation buy consoles isn’t necessarily game quality at all lol. They want the console their friends play on. Everything now is multiplayer. I mean the top games are usually always multiplayer not exclusives by quite a wide margin.

Phase

Xbox and Xbox 360 were amazing all because of the exclusives they had. That's how Xbox was able to burst onto the scene so dramatically. It was like a movement. Everyone I knew had or wanted an Xbox. But when the focus was directed away from the games post-360 (e.g. kinect) it started the downward slide. Exclusives dropped in quality (Halo, Gears, Forza) and they let it slide as they were more focused on services. Welp, this is the result.

I don't feel bad for them. They had many chances to change course. Just look at how they let Halo fall from the mountain top with each successive release by 343. I know I'm not alone when I say Gears 3 and Halo Reach were the last exclusives I cared about for Xbox. The 360 was the last Xbox I purchased and around the same time I started building PC's and never looked back.

As an aside, I have to wonder what Playstation's long-term plan is with putting their exclusives on PC as I think it will devalue the PS brand. Are they trying to go the service route like Xbox? I bought every PS up until PS5 and I don't feel the need to get it because with a little patience I'll have the same games on my PC.

Last edited:

Phase

I think the main reason the younger generation buy consoles isn’t necessarily game quality at all lol. They want the console their friends play on. Everything now is multiplayer. I mean the top games are usually always multiplayer not exclusives by quite a wide margin.
This is a genuinely interesting thought, and leads me to believe that PS may go heavy into the service route in the near future. If their data is showing younger gens are playing mainly multiplayer they may feel confident in pursuing that route. They're investing heavily into GAAS now.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It shows the importance of not fucking up 11 years ago. Had Xbox One came out earlier and not had the terrible online-drm-on-your-disc shit and not been 30% weaker than the PS4, Xbox would have been decently competitive.

Most gamers still just play GTAV, CoD, and Madden. TLOU did not cement Sony's place and Spider-Man came out deep into last gen.
Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Jak and Daxter, GTA 3, GTA Vice City, MGS2, DMC, God of War, SOTC, Final Fantasy X, etc

All quality single player exclusives that helped people associate PlayStation with ... quality games. Exactly what the xbox has been missing. An onslaught of quality SP titles.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Didn't read OP get fucked lol

But I came to say I'm 10/10 keking over the flood of Microsoft topics on the first page like a meteor just hit or we confirmed aliens or some shit. Complete fucking panic.

Guilty_AI

Feels more like they had a wave of bad business with Xone and couldn't come back from it properly.

Its also worth mentioning that the X360s success was also largely due to sony's own fuck ups that gen.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Why is Ps5 outselling XBox by such a massive margin then? All those games are on XBox.

salva

might be back to PC as primary for me as the console future is dire:

J5IFiiD.png

Generic

Nah, most people prefer multiplayer games. You used Nintendo as example, but the most popular Switch game is Mario Kart 8, followed by Animal Crossing and then Smash Bros. The "quality singleplayer game" (Zelda) comes in 4th place.

PlayStation? Look at this. The "quality singleplayer game" (Spider Man 2) comes in 6th place after a bunch of GaaS. Roblox is more popular than Spider Man.

The most popular game on Steam (and Xbox) right now is Palworld.

The PS5 sells more than the Xbox because Microsoft's big multiplayer IPs aren't hot anymore.

Singleplayer-only gamers need to be humble and admit their favourite games will never be as loved as multiplayer kings :messenger_winking:

Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Jak and Daxter, GTA 3, GTA Vice City, MGS2, DMC, God of War, SOTC, Final Fantasy X, etc

All quality single player exclusives that helped people associate PlayStation with ... quality games. Exactly what the xbox has been missing. An onslaught of quality SP titles.
Xbox had Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden, Dead Rising, Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Fable, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Kameo: Elements of Power, etc. as exclusives... and better versions of GTA for that matter.

Quite honestly Tecmo's Itagaki-era Ninja Gaiden and Capcom's Dead Rising 1/3 alone are better than the entire PlayStation exclusive catalogue since its inception.

I liked Hi-Fi Rush but Spider-Man 2 was significantly better. The hate it gets on gaf is absurd, yes it has some obnoxiously PC writing but the actual gameplay was a massive step up in every way from its predecessor. Everything felt less automated and more difficult which was great.
You mean the sequel that compares poorly to previous one's DLC and is based on an IP that dates back to 1962. Gee I wonder why that one had a bigger budget despite turning out shallow as hell and having little replay value.

Last edited:

Hugare

The top 5 games on the US PSN are always multiplayer games: Fortnite, EA Sports FC, NBA 2K, Call of Duty, Madden. That disproves your entire thesis.
You can play them on PS/Xbox tho

So why would you choose one over the other? Exclusives (not necessarily singleplayer, tho)

Last edited:

Nvzman

You mean the sequel that compares poorly to previous one's DLC and is based on an IP that dates back to 1962. Gee I wonder why that one had a bigger budget despite turning out shallow as hell and having little replay value.
The Spider-Man DLC was mediocre/borderline bad (and this is not an uncommon sentiment), if you are seriously implying SM2 compares poorly you have some extremely questionable taste. And what the hell does being based on an IP have anything to do with my statement, you didn't clarify that it had to be an "original" game.
Did braincells just drop dramatically off this board within the past few years? Feels like the amount of just straight up nonsensical posts are getting more common.

The Spider-Man DLC was mediocre/borderline bad (and this is not an uncommon sentiment), if you are seriously implying SM2 compares poorly you have some extremely questionable taste. And what the hell does being based on an IP have anything to do with my statement, you didn't clarify that it had to be an "original" game.
Hi-Fi Rush is the best new single-player console exclusive of 2023, so not really...
Did braincells just drop dramatically off this board within the past few years? Feels like the amount of just straight up nonsensical posts are getting more common.
Yes. You are a prime example.

Last edited:

Humdinger

It's strange, because MS was just on the brink of turning the long-standing exclusive problem around. 2024 was shaping up to be a pretty good year, exclusive-wise. And with all the acquisitions, we knew there were plenty more exclusives in the pipeline. It looked like the long drought -- the lack of good exclusives since 2015 or so -- was finally coming to an end. Xbox would finally have a good stable of exclusives.

And then they start publishing those "exclusives" on other platforms. Making them, at best, timed exclusives. Completely undercutting that momentum. It's weird timing.

I mean, I get why. GP and console numbers weren't anywhere close to where they expected/hoped them to be, and they couldn't afford to leave all the multiplatform cash on the table. But still, it seems weirdly ironic that, just as Xbox seemed to be turning a corner, finally being able to say "Here are the first-party exclusives!" they start de-exclusivizing their content.

Kacho

I've joked about it, but the success of Steam Deck must make Valve look at the home console market and think they can replicate its success, if XBox self destructs.
Wouldn’t surprise me. Steam Deck is an excellent gateway into PC gaming. It’s great hardware that arrived at the perfect time.

dem

It’s a actually crazy because no one even plays these games anymore..

People want them until they play them.. then they give up a few hours in and go back to COD and Fortnite.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Wouldn’t surprise me. Steam Deck is an excellent gateway into PC gaming. It’s great hardware that arrived at the perfect time.

100% agree. Turn it into a much more powerful box you can sling under you TV, and they'll fucking clean up at this point. I'd jump on it. The closed eco-systems of both XBox and Playstation have become greedy, and anti-consumer. I'd love a proper alternative that's more open, but is designed for couch gaming.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I'd argue their demise is failing to stick to an actual plan, kept changing lanes when things didn't work out. So many reasons, but good games is a top one. Single player or otherwise.

Gamepass is their true demise, because it's impacted the way they create games. Nevermind the poor managment. They makes games to feed the service and the quality suffers. Supplying the subscription service comes first at the cost of reputation.

Halo Infinite, Forza and the treatment of some of their tentpole franchises. Just do better.

Mortisfacio

It’s a actually crazy because no one even plays these games anymore..

People want them until they play them.. then they give up a few hours in and go back to COD and Fortnite.

That's definitely an interesting component. Everyone hypes these system seller games, but look at both platforms and what's the top 10-20 played almost always? 3rd party multiplat games. At least PC has some actual exclusive games in the top like Counter Strike 2, DOTA 2, Enshrouded, Lost Ark, etc. but even then, they're all multiplayer games. Xbox and PlayStation top played games are all multiplat.

Sushi_Combo

It's a combination that is creating this perfect storm for the brand.

-Terrible management
-Unsustainable subscription models
-A brand that has lost its reputation since the Xb1 era
-Xbox Exclusives released from Last gen and current Gen are Mid at best and haven't moved the needle in any meaningful way.

nah. If that were true, sales charts would be loaded with those games. People buy consoles to play popular games with their friends. Those games are games like FIFA, Fartnite, GTA, 2k, etc. They buy games because they are popular. Those games are games like FIFA, CoD, Madden, 2k, etc.

What screwed MS over when it comes to Xbox is exactly what Phil said awhile back. They lost the generation where everyone built up their digital libraries. By screwed over, I mean a shot at selling the most consoles. Clearly they can still exist in the industry.

Sanepar

MS made 2 big mistakes:

Try to enforce american taste games on other markets(centric around shooters).

Low quality games like tier b games.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
nah. If that were true, sales charts would be loaded with those games. People buy consoles to play popular games with their friends. Those games are games like FIFA, Fartnite, GTA, 2k, etc. They buy games because they are popular. Those games are games like FIFA, CoD, Madden, 2k, etc.

All of those games are on XBox. So why is Ps5 completely outselling it, if exclusives don't matter?

Demise of Xbox, don't make me laugh. All 3 major platforms have had record revenues in recent years, for all time. Let that sink in.

Justin9mm

You need successful games but they don't have to be single player only.

Halo and Gears were huge for Xbox 360.

Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Animal Crossing and Pokemon are just as important for Switch as Zelda is.
I'm currently 40 years old, been playing video games since about 6 years old. I'm living proof of someone who invests my time in pretty much single player games only. There are a lot more like me. We live in the shadows of filthy online casuals but trust me when I say there are more of us out there than you think.

Last edited:

radewagon

I think we need to accept that Gamepass was a stupid idea. Or at the very least, putting so many of their eggs in that particular basket was a stupid idea. If two consoles have almost identical specs and game lineups BUT one of those consoles also has a healthy number of highly regarded exclusives, you'd be crazy to go for the one that offers less. Gamepass was supposed to be the added value, I think, to help xbox compete in lieu of releasing exclusives, but it clearly didn't work out. People would rather have more games than yet another subscription service.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nah, most people prefer multiplayer games. You used Nintendo as example, but the most popular Switch game is Mario Kart 8, followed by Animal Crossing and then Smash Bros. The "quality singleplayer game" (Zelda) comes in 4th place.

PlayStation? Look at this. The "quality singleplayer game" (Spider Man 2) comes in 6th place after a bunch of GaaS. Roblox is more popular than Spider Man.

The most popular game on Steam (and Xbox) right now is Palworld.

The PS5 sells more than the Xbox because Microsoft's big multiplayer IPs aren't hot anymore.

Singleplayer-only gamers need to be humble and admit their favourite games will never be as loved as multiplayer kings :messenger_winking:
PS leaked slides showed that 70% of the games played are single player with only 20% mp and 10% were f2p.

Top Bottom