• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I got a PS3 for Christmas and now I have a question" Thread

Crisis

Banned
Since Christmas eve I've seen a lot of threads (and posted in a handful of them) from new PS3 owners who had a question or two about their new system. In an effort to help I thought it might be a better idea to have all of those questions in one place rather than like 50 million threads asking a question or two each scattered all over the forums.

Here's some first-response links that might help you solve a problem that you're having. Please check these first and if they don't apply or don't help you feel free to ask a question in the thread. :D

The most current online manual for the PS3 - SCEI
Every time Sony updates the firmware with a "major release" (typically a .10 update, not a .01 update with bug fixes and the like) they'll get around to updating the online instruction manual for PS3. This is also accessible on your PS3 and PSP under "Network" in the XMB.

PlayStation Blog - PS Blog This is SCEA's official blog for all PlayStation-related stuff. It's actually a really good source of information and a good way to communicate directly with SCEA. This is where you go to bitch about the lack of custom soundtracks and in-game XMB after every firmware update.

Some basic Remote Play tips - PS Blog These are some basic tips for getting started with Remote Play on your PSP/PS3.

PC to PS3 Media streaming/DLNA Thread - NeoGAF
If you're having trouble with streaming there's a ton of great advice in this thread. You'll find DLNA client advice as well as specific file type help. Definitely a bible for people who want to stream media to their PS3.

Most recent firmware thread (as of December 26, 2007) - NeoGAF Has a bunch of information about the latest firmware for the PS3. If you've got a question about a new feature (or one of those infamous stealth additions to the PS3) this is definitely a good place to start looking through.

Stage 6 Videos for PS3 - NeoGAF
Some quick tips for downloading Stage 6 DivX videos to your PS3 to enjoy. It's not as simple as downloading the videos from Firefox on your computer but with these tips you can get them straight to your PS3 and it's easier than you think.

Playstation Store Content - 2007 Year in Review - NeoGAF The summary for 2007 of tanod's faithful and awesome PlayStation Store Content Update threads. Check this out to find information on the PlayStation Store's content from 2006-2007. If you're new to the PSN or you just want to look and see if there's anything you missed out on this is the place for you. (Thanks tanod!)

Crisis

Banned
chubigans said:
There's actually going to be a series of helpful tips for PS3 owners on the PS Blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007...ps-3-remote-playps-store-download-head-start/
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/12/25/playstation-tips-2-foldinghome/

Also, when using any external media (USB Drive, etc.) press Triangle when highlighted and Display All to see all the files on the drive.

Yeah but they haven't covered everything yet and we've had some people with some unique problems. Thanks for the links though.

SRG01

To reset your video: Hold the power button while booting for 5+ seconds until you hear the beep. If you have both component/composite and HDMI connected, it will detect your component/composite. Otherwise, it will detect whichever one is connected.

For a list of which video modes are compatible with which cable: click here

Why am I getting a blank screen through HDMI? Your display does not accept HDCP. If you connect through the HDMI port, your display must accept HDCP.

emptyseats.jpg

angelfly

I had given up but I guess I'll ask my question here. Is anyone successfully streaming divx/xvid from Linux to PS3? I've been using ushare and I can stream pictures and music. However any video I try to play shows up as unsupported or corrupted.

Crisis

Banned
angelfly said:
I had given up but I guess I'll ask my question here. Is anyone successfully streaming divx/xvid from Linux to PS3? I've been using ushare and I can stream pictures and music. However any video I try to play shows up as unsupported or corrupted.

Are the DivX/Xvid files compatible with the PS3 if you aren't streaming them?

AltogetherAndrews said:

Thanks for your wonderful contribution to this thread.

robertj15

Good thread. I actually have a question.

When I try to connect my PSP to my newly purchased Playstation 3 via Remote Play with the "over the internet" option I get the following error: "A connection error has occurred. (8001006F)".

Now, after waiting on the phone for 20 minutes on Christmas day I finally got in touch with an unhelpful person who said (and I quote) "uhhh, I don't know dude."

Anyone have this problem before and can help me out? The PSP is registered with the PS3 and Remote Play works when I do "via Private Network." I just want to be able to do this on the run.

Crisis

Banned
robertj15 said:

When I try to connect my PSP to my newly purchased Playstation 3 via Remote Play with the "over the internet" option I get the following error: "A connection error has occurred. (8001006F)".

Now, after waiting on the phone for 20 minutes on Christmas day I finally got in touch with an unhelpful person who said (and I quote) "uhhh, I don't know dude."

Anyone have this problem before and can help me out? The PSP is registered with the PS3 and Remote Play works when I do "via Private Network." I just want to be able to do this on the run.

That sounds like a router setting. Is UPnP enabled on your router?

Yeah, the manual doesn't go very far. There are so many small functions that I would never even know about if I hadn't browsed PS3 update and usage threads. Hell, I didn't even know about the Earth visualizer until yesterday.

robertj15 said:

First thing, are you attempting to connect your PSP from a local wifi hotspot that you have access to?

Second, make sure your system is set to auto log into your PS3 User account as well as PSN account.

I'm not usre, but I don't think it's supposed to work if you're trying to turn it on from your own house network.

angelfly said:
The streaming is heavily dependent on your DLNA sever software. The limited DLNA software on my Maxtor Share Storage II NAS box doesn't seem to want to stream DivX. Other people have had success . . . I believe TVersity is the DLNA server software that many use successfully.

HOWEVER . . . the DivX support that was just released is a bit incomplete. Apparently Dvix 3.11 doesn't work nor do some files encoded with the more esoteric coding techniques.

SRG01

angelfly said:

What format are they in? If it's DivX 3.11 or Xvid with custom matrices, it won't work.

robertj15

Mammothtank said:
First thing, are you attempting to connect your PSP from a local wifi hotspot that you have access to?

Second, make sure your system is set to auto log into your PS3 User account as well as PSN account.

I'm not usre, but I don't think it's supposed to work if you're trying to turn it on from your own house network.

Now that would make sense. I'm going to call up Sony again, just wanted to see if anyone here could spare me the wait time and the horrible muzak.

Jim

angelfly

speculawyer said:
The streaming is heavily dependent on your DLNA sever software. The limited DLNA software on my Maxtor Share Storage II NAS box doesn't seem to want to stream DivX. Other people have had success . . . I believe TVersity is the DLNA server software that many use successfully.

HOWEVER . . . the DivX support that was just released is a bit incomplete. Apparently Dvix 3.11 doesn't work nor do some files encoded with the more esoteric coding techniques.

SRG01 said:
What format are they in? If it's DivX 3.11 or Xvid with custom matrices, it won't work.

I guess it's my software. The encoding is compatible. I copied the file over to the psp and it shows up and plays fine on the ps3 but when streaming it shows as unsupported. I'll give TVersity a try.

edit: Guess I won't be trying TVersity as it's Windows only. I'll just stick to music and video for now. Hopefully next usjare gets updates it'll work better.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I Laugh at you ALL!!!

for I HAVE SUPERIOR 60GIG PS3!!! MHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!:D

and dont forget to download Super Stardust HD. Some serious eye sex

steve

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, the manual doesn't go very far. There are so many small functions that I would never even know about if I hadn't browsed PS3 update and usage threads. Hell, I didn't even know about the Earth visualizer until yesterday.

QFT.

I just used the Earth Visualizer for the first time an hour ago along with my new Journey Greatest hits CD. Had no idea that function was even there until I read about it here yesterday.

Pure awesome. Ordinarily I hate visualizers, but this one impressed me. I watched it for the entire length of the CD while I was playing with my daughter, that's prety cool.

Crisis

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
How do you format an external (USB) HDD for use with the PS3?

Well i have a USB 40 gig harddrive that when I pluged into my PS3 wouldnt be reconized. Its was NTFS formated. Then I FAT32 Fomated and the PS3 picked it out with no problem. Make a MUSIC and PICTURE folder in the root of the HDD. Put your music and photos in those folder and your good to go.If you have Windows XP it will only NTFS format it. So what you gonna have to do is download this program fat32format. Unzip and put on C:\
Then Run the MS Command Prompt and type this c:\fat32format fat32format f: Or copy and paste. I tried and change the drive letter for but for somereason it didnt work. so what i ended up doing was reasigning my USB HDD to F drive. You can you that by checking this link out.... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

I found this from the Xbox-Scene forums. I hope it helps.

*edit* I added a link to fat32format in the quoted section. Sorry for the oversight.

TeTr1C

I got an 80GB PS3 for Christmas, but I don't have any questions. I'm just really satisfied with it. A year ago, when it launched, I didn't want one at all. Uncharted sets new standards as far as graphics for me.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
a couple of suggestions I've found.

As said, any external storage can be used for media (flash card, usb, external HDD, etc). You must use root level directories of MUSIC, PICTURE, and VIDEO though.

If you have a windows xp box or higher, Windows Media Player 11 is all that's needed to stream music, pictures and video. Video must be divx (or xvid*) or windows media encoded. Add the file to your library. Also remember (this catches me up every once in a while) that if you are not seeing videos in your video directory on the PS3, check to make sure you are in the video section of the XMB. Thanks to the backing out and moving to a different menu item, it's possible that you actually moved to msuci or pictures and aren't even in video anymore.

*if you have xvid files that aren't working/showing up on your PS3, google fourcc changer and use a free app to change the fourcc code of the avi. Likely from XVID to DX50. I have I think one xvid video that I can't get to work. The rest that seemingly didn't work work after changing the fourcc code of the avi.

there are lots of steps to getting internet remote play. read the link above. they include (but are not limited to) syncing your PS3 and PSP, turning on remote start, turning on remote internet start, configuring your router, setting up your PS3 to login to PSN, and setting up your PSP to login to PSN.

Remote Play for PSOne games is far from perfect, so don't expect it to be. :p

PSN store updates on Thursday.

steve

Banned
Playing Stage6 vids on PS3

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/12/18/downloading-videos-from-stage6/

- Go to a Stage6 video you're interested in.

- URL displayed by browser:
http://www.stage6.com/PS3/video/1827927/PLAYSTATION®3---Universe-of-Entertainment

- Edit the video as such:
http://video.stage6.com/1827927/.divx

- Press START, and your PS3 will start downloading the DivX file directly to your hard drive.

You can do this with any video on Stage6.

Try this one as an example...

http://www.stage6.com/user/tomotomo4649/video/1276860/MY-BOOBS-ARE-OK :lol

Crisis

Banned
steve said:
Playing Stage6 vids on PS3

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/12/18/downloading-videos-from-stage6/

- Go to a Stage6 video you're interested in.

- URL displayed by browser:
http://www.stage6.com/PS3/video/1827927/PLAYSTATION®3---Universe-of-Entertainment

- Edit the video as such:
http://video.stage6.com/1827927/.divx

- Press START, and your PS3 will start downloading the DivX file directly to your hard drive.

You can do this with any video on Stage6.

Try this one as an example...

http://www.stage6.com/user/tomotomo4649/video/1276860/MY-BOOBS-ARE-OK :lol

Thanks for the links and such. I've added it to my first post. :D

Aeris130

Perfect timing. I'm planning to start importing PS3 games from the US to my PAL machine ($60 >>>> $90-100). The PS3 itself is region free right, but will I encouter any region-specific issues when playing stuff like Resistance and Warhawk?

(I've tried searching for older threads, but I only get a Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 201326592 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 79 bytes) in /var/gaf-sites/ga-forum.com/upload/includes/class_core.php on line 2966).

Crisis

Banned
Aeris130 said:
Perfect timing. I'm planning to start importing PS3 games from the US to my PAL machine ($60 >>>> $90-100). The PS3 itself is region free right, but will I encouter any region-specific issues when playing stuff like Resistance and Warhawk?

(I've tried searching for older threads, but I only get a Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 201326592 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 79 bytes) in /var/gaf-sites/ga-forum.com/upload/includes/class_core.php on line 2966).

Any PS3 game that you import will play on your PS3. There is no region encoding for games. However for DLC and the like it's restricted to territory (by the PSN store of whatever territory you're in). In order to get the DLC you'll need a method of payment that's accepted in that game's PSN Store. So if you bought the US version of Warhawk and you live in Europe you can get online and play it just fine with no problem (provided you're gaming on an HDTV or TV that accepts PAL and NTSC signal if it's SDTV). But if you want the Omega Dawn expansion pack you can't go onto the European PSN Store and have it work with your US version of the game. You'll need a method of payment that's valid in the US PSN Store to download it.

I hope that helped.

ram

erfect timing. I'm planning to start importing PS3 games from the US to my PAL machine ($60 >>>> $90-100). The PS3 itself is region free right, but will I encouter any region-specific issues when playing stuff like Resistance and Warhawk?

yes, there are games, that are region specific - for example motorstorm. but not every game has such bounderies - you can play ridge racer 7 online with people form around the world.

also, dont use NA DLC contentw ith EU versions and EU DLC with na versions - it doesnt work.

and finally, one game is at least region locked - call of duty 3.

I just got a PS3 and about a week after getting it the machine stopped reading discs of any format (Blu Ray, DVD, game, music). I couldn't find anything in these online manuals about that.

Anyone have a link about how to fix this?

Queeg

angelfly said:

I got mine working a few minutes after the firmware update using Fuppes. In the config file I had to remove the AVI transcoding section and also change the AVI mime-type to

Code:
<file ext="avi">
          <type>VIDEO_ITEM</type>
          <mime_type>video/avi</mime_type>
        </file>

ciroslive said:
I just got a PS3 and about a week after getting it the machine stopped reading discs of any format (Blu Ray, DVD, game, music). I couldn't find anything in these online manuals about that.

Anyone have a link about how to fix this?
Return it to the store.

Okay another question. My bro is also getting a gift from my parents (lucky SOB), an HDTV to complement his new PS3.

He's narrowed his choices down to two models

- Sharp 32" 1080p for $800

vs

- Olevia 37" 720p for $700

Would the investment be worth it for 1080p at that size? Are the PS3s problems upscaling/downscaling content to 720p completely resolved?

SRG01

With respect to Blu-Ray, yes the PS3 can now downscale to 720p.

As far as the TVs are concerned, how far does he sit from the TV? Personally, I sit less than 3 feet away from my TV when I'm gaming............... :lol

Top Bottom