• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fast & The Furriest: Rare's XBLA project

Endless

We just received exclusive information concerning what one of Rare's next gaming projects is and you'll be surprised to hear that it's both an Xbox Live Arcade game and it uses the Vision camera. Tie your running shoes, do a few stretches and warm up those hammies. Rare's The Fast & The Furriest is real and is coming our way.

After reading through presentation materials that were sent to us from one of our super secret inside sources (yeah, we got 'em too) we've learned that Rare is working on an Arcade party sports game featuring some of Rare's iconic characters called The Fast & The Furriest. The Fast & The Furriest will feature all kinds of sports based mini-games that include a 100 meter dash, bungee run, hurdles and tip-tup curling. Rare also has plans to release XBLM content packs that'll expand the event offerings including croquet, bowling, volleyball, fishing and various target games. And get this. Most, if not all, the games can be controlled using the Vision camera if one chooses (but not required). But back to what we said about Rare IP characters being used. Each player will be able choose a character like Conker or Banjo which will actually be a "suit" (think mascot suits). Players will then be able to scan their face using the Vision camera to skin the face opening of the character suit. Taking the whole face mapping thing a step further, they'll be using character faces as in game assets appearing on scoreboards and reflecting off objects like ice.

We also learned that Rare experimented with a wand type input device for gesture recognition (think Wii controls), but seems to have scrapped the idea for The Fast & The Furriest due to technology problems. It's possible we'll be seeing a special gesture controller, but not from Rare.

We've seen the presentation materials and have trust in our super secret insider. The Fast & The Furriest is real, is planned for the XBLA and in development by Rare. When the game will release, how much will change between now and then and if it'll even survive the development cycle is a book of mysteries of it's own.

xbox360fanboy.com

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Christ.

Face-mapping and fur suits. This is going to bring out the darker sides of the internet ...

BeeDog

Sounds horrible, Rare should use its talent for other stuff instead of copying Mario & Sonic At The Olympics.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Nash said:
Christ.

Face-mapping and fur suits. This is going to bring out the darker sides of the internet ...

Pretty sure you must mean the awesome side.

Can't wait to see the first Banjo with an ass for a face.

it will probably still be better than Rare's new design

Sort of want.

What Rare really needs to get on is

- Banjo 3
- new KI
- new Diddy Kong Racing/Mickey's Speedway

RedBoot

Oh man there are so many things wrong with this.

If there was any doubt left that Nintendo got a hell of a steal by selling off Rare, it's gone now.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Hah, I think this is a hilarious idea. At first I was afraid it might just be decathlon-type minigames, but it sounds like some more interesting sports will be included (though boo for content packs which are probably overpriced).

Can't wait to see genitals on Conker's face.

Gigglepoo

Damnit!

BobFromPikeCreek said:
You guys suck. This could be good.

I'm sure it will succeed at what it's trying to accomplish, but the concept doesn't sound that interesting to me. I expect the world from Rare!

LaneDS

Kestastrophe said:
Why is MS hellbent on having Rare work on mass market games?

Because they paid out the ass to acquire them, and would like a nice return on their investment?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Nash said:
Christ.

Right, because the dark side was being kept at bay so well before this.

I bet their other XBLA title is something like "Viva PinKarta!", Mario Kart-esqu racing with a Pinata twist.

And good luck to them, I'd love to see Rare work on such a title for XBLA.

[Nintex]

RARE just get Banjo 3 ready for a summer 2008 release!

This can't be fake, only RARE could come up with a game and title like this.:D

painey

furryofthefurries01.jpg

Even if they are ripping off Sonic & Mario, atleast it won't retail for 50 bucks, will have better online play, and it probably be a better looking game as well.

RedBoot

Oliver.S said:

Seriously, what have they done since then that equals Goldeneye? Or Conker? Or Blast Corps, DKC2, Banjo Kazooie, or Perfect Dark 1? Ghoulies was lame, Conker L&R managed to be more censored than its N64 counterpart (also less fun), and Perfect Dark Zero was a joke. Kameo was good, but it was very much a launch title (and this is after it took many years and was developed over four platforms). I don't know if Viva Pinata is any good since I'm not interested in that sort of game, but it's not particularly setting the sales charts on fire.

And now they're working on a mass market pandering sort of game where you run around in fursuits? Lame.

DuckRacer

We've seen the presentation materials and have trust in our super secret insider. The Fast & The Furriest is real, is planned for the XBLA and in development by Rare. When the game will release, how much will change between now and then and if it'll even survive the development cycle is a book of mysteries of it's own.We've seen the presentation materials and have trust in our super secret insider. The Fast & The Furriest is real, is planned for the XBLA and in development by Rare. When the game will release, how much will change between now and then and if it'll even survive the development cycle is a book of mysteries of it's own.

Is it just me, or is the whole "super secret insider" schtick seem fake?

This sounds like an April Fools joke ran early... but who knows.

RedBoot said:
Seriously, what have they done since then that equals Goldeneye? Or Conker? Or Blast Corps, DKC2, Banjo Kazooie, or Perfect Dark 1? Ghoulies was lame, Conker L&R managed to be more censored than its N64 counterpart (also less fun), and Perfect Dark Zero was a joke. Kameo was good, but it was very much a launch title (and this is after it took many years and was developed over four platforms). I don't know if Viva Pinata is any good since I'm not interested in that sort of game, but it's not particularly setting the sales charts on fire.

And now they're working on a mass market pandering sort of game where you run around in fursuits? Lame.
Viva Pinata is one of the best games they've ever made. Enough of your bitter nintard tears.

RedBoot

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Viva Pinata is one of the best games they've ever made. Enough of your bitter nintard tears.

Like I said, I've never played it so I wouldn't know. But two good games (Pinata and Kameo) over the last few years when they made so many good games for the SNES and N64?

Actually, look at it in sheer volume. They made a ton of N64 games. Killer Instinct Gold, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo 1, Banjo 2, Diddy Kong Racing, Blast Corps, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, and Conker, off the top of my head. DK64 was lame, and I don't personally like the Banjo series that much, but everything else was great. That's ten games for one system. Since they've been with Microsoft they've made something like five games (did they develop Party Animals?) What happened to their output?

Top Bottom