• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fast & The Furriest: Rare's XBLA project

How the hell can people be calling the fursuits lame? If you look anything the dude in the Crash Bandicoot commercials that would be funny as hell.

bandicoot.jpg

RedBoot said:
Like I said, I've never played it so I wouldn't know. But two good games (Pinata and Kameo) over the last few years when they made so many good games for the SNES and N64?

Actually, look at it in sheer volume. They made a ton of N64 games. Killer Instinct Gold, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo 1, Banjo 2, Diddy Kong Racing, Blast Corps, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, and Conker, off the top of my head. DK64 was lame, and I don't personally like the Banjo series that much, but everything else was great. That's ten games for one system. Since they've been with Microsoft they've made something like five games (did they develop Party Animals?) What happened to their output?
Game development both costs more and takes longer than it did during that era. So far, on the 360, they've put out three games and two of them have been at least good, one of which is better than three quarters of any of the games they've put out before. Loss in faith in Rare can only be attributed to fanboyism.

[Nintex]

RedBoot said:
Like I said, I've never played it so I wouldn't know. But two good games (Pinata and Kameo) over the last few years when they made so many good games for the SNES and N64?

Actually, look at it in sheer volume. They made a ton of N64 games. Killer Instinct Gold, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo 1, Banjo 2, Diddy Kong Racing, Blast Corps, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, and Conker, off the top of my head. DK64 was lame, and I don't personally like the Banjo series that much, but everything else was great. That's ten games for one system. Since they've been with Microsoft they've made something like five games (did they develop Party Animals?) What happened to their output?
Nintendo bought them a fancy HQ when they wanted to go to the Playstation camp so they did something in return. After those days FRD was formed so they lost some of their talent. Not to mention that Banjo/Banjo2/DK64 was actually one big project. Same engine and even some levels that didn't end up in the final version of Banjo ended up in DK64. It takes alot more people and resources to build a game these days. The Stampers were finally bought out by Microsoft and the guy who did Banjo is now in charge of the company. They're currently working on: Viva Pinata DS, Banjo 3, The Fast & The Furriest and (according to rumors) another Perfect Dark title. I read somewhere that they also did some work on Forza2, Shadowrun and they were mentioned in the "special thanks" section of the HALO 3 credits.

Tieno

[QUOTE='[Nintex]Perfect Dark title. I read somewhere that they also did some work on Forza2, Shadowrun and they were mentioned in the "special thanks" section of the HALO 3 credits.[/QUOTE]
When you turn on the "Grunt Birthday Party" skull in Halo 3 whenever you headshot a grunt there's confetti and children shout "YAAAAY". That sound file is from Viva Pinata when you bust open a pinata and opens to candy. Rare is in the Halo 3 credits cause Bungie got that sound file from them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADsFOew_zWg

RedBoot

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Loss in faith in Rare can only be attributed to fanboyism.

Really? And not because they haven't been able to make anything nearly as good as their N64 work in years?

[Nintex] said:
Nintendo bought them a fancy HQ when they wanted to go to the Playstation camp so they did something in return. After those days FRD was formed so they lost some of their talent. Not to mention that Banjo/Banjo2/DK64 was actually one big project. Same engine and even some levels that didn't end up in the final version of Banjo ended up in DK64. It takes alot more people and resources to build a game these days. The Stampers were finally bought out by Microsoft and the guy who did Banjo is now in charge of the company. They're currently working on: Viva Pinata DS, Banjo 3, The Fast & The Furriest and (according to rumors) another Perfect Dark title. I read somewhere that they also did some work on Forza2, Shadowrun and they were mentioned in the "special thanks" section of the HALO 3 credits.

Interesting stuff. I figured there was a large staff exodus, and ramping costs of development is certainly a factor (though you'd think Microsoft could help them deal with that). Interesting to see that MS has them help out with other 1st party games as well. I really hope Banjo 3 turns out to be good, even though I didn't like the first two games that much I'm still planning on giving it a shot.

Rorschach

We also learned that Rare experimented with a wand type input device for gesture recognition (think Wii controls), but seems to have scrapped the idea for The Fast & The Furriest due to technology problems. It's possible we'll be seeing a special gesture controller, but not from Rare.
:lol

squicken

Hey, you know, fine. I'm glad MS finally realized Rare doesn't know how to make real games and is having them develop low budget shovelware. Let the talented studios have that money, and moneyhat 3rd parties so they can focus in on 360 development. That will have to be the way the 360 gets its hardware pushed.

RedBoot

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Again, get over your fear of the Xbox 360, play Viva Pinata, and stfu.

You remember the part where I called Kameo their best work in years, right? Viva Pinata doesn't interest me. I'm sure that it's probably a great game since many people do like it, but it doesn't change the fact that Rare isn't pumping out as many quality games as they used to.

RedBoot said:
You remember the part where I called Kameo their best work in years, right? Viva Pinata doesn't interest me. I'm sure that it's probably a great game since many people do like it, but it doesn't change the fact that Rare isn't pumping out as many quality games as they used to.
And, again, that is an issue with next gen's huge development cycles. When you can only put out a few games slowly the bad games really stick out more than normal. It's not like Rare never made a bad game when they were with Nintendo, but they were able to pump games out fast enough that no one dwelled on it. Now when one game is bad the sky is falling and Rare are doomed. Relax, understand that Viva Pinata is in the top 5 games they've ever made, even if you refuse to play it, and have faith. Rare are still incredible developers and one bad, launch rushed game isn't going to change that.

Gowans

I will hold my judgement, big fan of rares recent stuff, Vision cam always makes me warry (Totemball) but lets see what happens.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I dunno, I just think Rare is inefficient. Look at Insomniac or Epic (1 huge title a year).

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Rare threads are so sad. I'm curious as to how this is going to look and play. If it is really fun, I'm going to buy the camera. People deride others for doing the status quo, when something a bit different comes along, people want to say all hope is lost. These are the same people that didn't play games like Viva Pinata, yet come and say Rare has lost it. I imagine it will be better than a Mario and Sonic in every fashion. I'm interested.

Agent Icebeezy

Y2Kev said:
I dunno, I just think Rare is inefficient. Look at Insomniac or Epic (1 huge title a year).

Since going under the Microsoft umbrella, they have gotten better, but I'm going to presume they are trying to get all new games working on their new engine.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Agent Icebeezy said:
Since going under the Microsoft umbrella, they have gotten better, but I'm going to presume they are trying to get all new games working on their new engine.

I heard MS whipped them into shape. I hear they were a disaster under Nintendo during the GC era.

Chao

In before VGCats.

I'm not sure about this sports minigame thing.
ROFL LIKE IN WIISPORTS LAWL :\

goldenpp72

Yeah the general idea was that rare was in shambles during the cube era and early xbox era, supposedly things are on track now but it's obvious MS needs to work on communicating about rare projects.

[Nintex]

RARE got caught up in their own mess. Dinosaur Planet was ruined because Nintendo wanted RARE to use the Starfox characters. PDZ was a GC title, moved to Gamecube and finally to the Xbox 360. Kameo started out on the Gamecube, moved to the Xbox and the Xbox 360. Grabbed by the Ghoullies should be forgotten and Conker was easily the best looking Xbox title, they never bothered to change anything though. Cocunut Crackers was turned into I'ts Mr. Pants! Diddy Kong Pilot(tilt controls for the GBA) was changed to Banjo Pilot etc. Nintendo did some work on Kameo and PDZ, so they had to remove and rewrite every single line of code that Nintendo made.

Their "real" next-gen project Viva Pinata turned out great but didn't sell well. Banjo should be amazing.

Agent Icebeezy

[Nintex] said:
RARE got caught up in their own mess. Dinosaur Planet was ruined because Nintendo wanted RARE to use the Starfox characters. PDZ was a GC title, moved to Gamecube and finally to the Xbox 360. Kameo started out on the Gamecube, moved to the Xbox and the Xbox 360. Grabbed by the Ghoullies should be forgotten and Conker was easily the best looking Xbox title, they never bothered to change anything though. Cocunut Crackers was turned into I'ts Mr. Pants! Diddy Kong Pilot(tilt controls for the GBA) was changed to Banjo Pilot etc. Nintendo did some work on Kameo and PDZ, so they had to remove and rewrite every single line of code that Nintendo made.

Their "real" next-gen project Viva Pinata turned out great but didn't sell well. Banjo should be amazing.

Viva is over 500k. Try that one again. Banjo is the first game built entirely on finat 360 hardware. Viva used to be a palm PC game.

Prine

Banned
snack said:
You got to be kidding me? Really, this is what Rare is working on? Really?

What else is the DS/Handheld team going to do? Mow the fucking lawn? What wrong with you, use your head.

Rare have MULTIPLE teams. Dear lord

I HOPE Rare can fit in some kart racing in there too

xblarcade

Agent Icebeezy said:
Viva is over 500k. Try that one again.

Look, I'm all for the love of VP, but to say that sales have been anything but disappointing (even at 500k) is wrong. With the amount of marketing push it received, it should have done much better.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
xblarcade said:
Look, I'm all for the love of VP, but to say that sales have been anything but disappointing (even at 500k) is wrong. With the amount of marketing push it received, it should have done much better.

Its only even near that cause it has been aggressively bundled for quite some time...those sales are mostly not on its own strength

Top Bottom