• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Revisiting the Trilogy

“Prime - Like milk chocolate. Smooth and sweet... Echoes - Like Dark Chocolate. Very rich, but bitter... Corruption - White Chocolate. Lite and mild, easy on the tongue but lacks the robust flavor of the other two.” ~ Metroid Musings

Welcome to Dragon Girl's revisit of the Metroid Prime Trilogy, an informal retrospective liberally mixing opinion, analysis, criticism, and speculation (fair warning, this writing contains small amounts of snark). I'll start off with a detailed look at Metroid Prime, the template of the trilogy. From there I will address Echoes and Corruption and draw comparisons among the three. Be warned, I'm writing this with the assumption that those reading it have already played these games or simply do not mind spoilers. I'll often be addressing the games in intimate detail and I'm not going to spoiler tag anything. Okay then, without further ado, I present...

Prime

ChozoTemple.jpg

In my personal hierarchy of trilogy greatness, Metroid Prime sits at the pinnacle. It is a game where so much comes together so well that its creation feels inspired by Greek Muses. Obviously you already have to be a fan of genre and series to feel the same, but within those qualifications, Metroid Prime is special to many. Upon my first play through of this game, I wandered about the labyrinth of Tallon IV in wonder and awe at its beauty. Upon each subsequent play I gained a deeper appreciation of the game's craftsmanship, strengths and flaws all the same. Now I will try and take you with me on my exploration of what makes this game such a remarkable experience through my own eyes.

The living world of Tallon IV

Actually, before I even descend to the surface of the planet, I must pay my respects to the Space Pirate Frigate, hanging tenuously in unstable orbit above the planet. This is the introduction, my first step into the game world and it is a memorable one. The story is set up in a few brief sentences. A distress signal has been received; Samus investigates and I am treated to a scene of an alien vessel above an alien planet. The rumble of Samus' ship's engines are heard and within a camera pan I have control of the heroine. All is quiet in a perfectly captured eeriness and there's no rush to do anything. Did anyone not pause to admire the orangely glowing planet below or watch the passing of drifting meteors? It is nearly silent, only subtle sounds of the tread of her boots and the hum of machinery exist. A short jaunt through the airlock and I get an idea of the extent of detail that has gone into the creation of this world. During pressurization, steam briefly fog's the heroine's visor and as the ship's artificial gravity takes affect, the floating debris within the lock fall to the floor. A step inside the ship and I am introduced to the aftermath of carnage and a mystery invites me to take my time and have a careful look around. There is much to see.

The frigate introductory level in Prime remains my favorite of the trilogy. It draws the gamer forth with invitation to investigate, to discover the story through the effort of one's own detective work. You don't need a narrator explaining that a battle took place, you can see it and put together the course of events yourself through the examination of data logs and corpses. Here I must mention my, perhaps morbid, love of scanning corpses. Their silence does not stop them from telling their individual stories, it feels so much more real and immediate than the most carefully animated flashback could manage. The story they tell is one of hubris and folly. These creatures known only as Space Pirates, in their rush to grasp power from a substance they don't well understand have brought destruction upon themselves. It's all around me in fires and crackling electricity, in the green stains of ichor from their mangled limbs. It is in the mutated bodies of creatures they have experimented on and in the extensive structural damage done to the ship itself. I don't get to stay here long though, as my investigation quickly leads to confrontation and a passing encounter with Ridley, an old foe.

It is a traditional game mechanic of the Metroid Series to start off weak and gain in power and ability with each suit enhancement found. Being a sequel chronologically to the first game in the series, Prime handles the problem of knocking Samus down to starter hero status with simple efficiency. During her escape from the alien frigate, an explosion sends her crashing into a wall and pretty much every upgrade she had earned malfunctions, leaving her stripped and starting over. Once back on her ship, a quick cut scene shows her pursuing Ridley down to the planet's surface. I love the sound effect they use for her ship's engines. Rather than an obnoxious roar or an ear splitting scream, it puts me in mind of an expensive car, a high performance machine that doesn't need to display its power with volume. Through the cloud heavy atmosphere the Hunter Ship plunges, landing within a small canyon thick with alien flora, heavy with rain. I have arrived.

It's amazing to think, Metroid Prime is a game of rooms and passages connected by doors, yet no two rooms are alike. Even the simplest metal hallway has a curve, or a pipe, or an intruding tree root to set it apart from any other. The amount of audio and visual detail that went into every aspect of Prime's design is staggering and each region of Tallon IV's world is unique in character.

Tallon Overworld – Bioluminescent plants and fungus light stony tunnels. Roots from trees spread down rock walls and moss hangs in green curtains from stepped ledges. Waterfalls feed into streams and ponds and the ever present rain spatters Samus' beam cannon and visor. The unobtrusive music enhances the feeling of calm. Here one can find a mysterious temple built by the Chozo, displaying their love of iconic architecture and the flooded remains of the Space Pirates' Frigate, so lately visited while in orbit.

Chozo Ruins – Water trickles through the broken brickwork of stone walls and sand is carried upon gusts of wind. A feeling of solitude permeates the atmosphere. Tiny green moths gather in the sunlight that pours through the gaps of collapsed ceilings. A past glory can be seen here, gentle and organic, now dried and faded. It's a lonely place but far from empty.

Magmoor Caverns – Tunnels and caverns of dark volcanic rock lit with the lurid red glow from lakes of magma. Glowing ash floats on the super heated air and steam erupts from crevices to fog Samus' visor. Magmoor is a long corridor of fire and stone and my steps through it are hurried along by the music, an ominous march veterans of Super Metroid will instantly recognize.

Phendrana Drifts –
From fire I emerge into ice. Frozen cascades glisten in the light and encrust cold gray stone. Snow is piled into drifts next to the ruins of what possibly were dwelling places long ago. Frosted branches, woven into bridges add warmer browns and oranges, counter points of color amongst the white and blue. Within the organic valleys and caves is the pirate's research center. A hive of metal catwalks and strange machinery. One of my favorite rooms here is the Observatory, with its luminous hologram of the solar system and the heartbeat thump of its power generator.

Phazon Mines – What begins as an industrial area of stone and rusty metal becomes more and more otherworldly the deeper I go. Eventually I leave the mine shafts and enter claustrophobic caves illuminated by mutated fungus large enough to stand on, filling the air with irradiated spoors. Phazon, somehow both organic and crystalline, spreads tendril like formations across the stone, alive with arcing electricity. It's dark down here and the uncanny aura is only enhanced by Samus' need to rely on her Thermal and X-ray Visors.

Impact Crater – And now things really get strange. Structures reminiscent of bone and teeth are lit with garish light and the floors that at first seem to be stone squish beneath Samus' booted feet. There can be no doubt that somehow, the very walls around me are alive. This small area is the home of festering corruption.

The Metroid games have always been deep experiences, combining action and adventure; environmental puzzles and combat, to create more than one draw. As a result they are difficult games to summarize and, I imagine, difficult to advertise. Most poplar games concentrate on a singular focus, be it shooting, or strategy, or puzzle solving. They can often be explained in a sentence, or single image, or thirty second video clip. One simply can not get the idea of a Metroid game across with such brevity, and maybe that's why it's such an under appreciated series in our society of sound bites and shortening attention spans. When I go about describing how Metroid plays, I've created three terms to categorize the experiences.

Navigation - This consists of exploration and puzzle solving. Travel from one point to another is often not straight forward. A lot of examination and thought is required to figure out the environment and discover how to progress.

Traversal - The actual act of moving through the environment. Samus makes use of basic jumping, acrobatics, and her own inventory of tools and weapons to interact with the environment to allow her to progress.

Combat - Most enemies in Metroid are trivial, little more than nuisances to shoot or avoid or make use of. That's not to say there are no intense fire fights. There are points where you run into aggressive enemies that take a lot of damage before going down, unexpected mini-bosses to keep you on your toes, and main boss battles are never short of spectacular.

Together, these elements mesh together to form an intricate whole, an overarching cerebral/visceral experience that characterizes the series. Prime balances these aspects masterfully. To me, it feels that Navigation is the main focus with Traversal coming in as a complimentary, secondary trait. In this, Samus' trademark Morph Ball plays a major role. While playing through Prime for the purpose of writing this piece, I tried to keep track of every Morph Ball obstacle course and every Spider Ball track. I failed. There are so many instances of using the Morph Ball that are seamlessly integrated into the environments that they become effectively invisible. I can only say there were, very roughly, 20 substantial morph and spider ball sections that ranged from straightforward and easy to complex and challenging. I also counted roughly 25 puzzle rooms, places where Samus had to manipulate her environment in some way to proceed.

The environmental challenges are really wonderful. Sometimes they demand a detective's keen eye to locate scannable switches. Often Samus must make use of a variety of her tools/weapons and other times it's up to the gamer's mastery of her bomb jumping skills. There are puzzles scattered everywhere: walls and objects that can be destroyed, small holes to roll into, ledges to grapple towards. Usually the reward for curiosity is a suit expansion. Missile, bomb, and health tanks are scattered about and usually well hidden or require a challenge to be met. One of Prime's strengths is its pacing. The game moves along at a steady clip, parceling out various upgrades and expansions pretty evenly. There's always something new to look forward to right up until the end, and by the end of the game, Samus has gained immensely in power. I've always enjoyed the feeling that accompanies walking through an environment, nearly immune to the best efforts of enemies that once seriously threatened my welfare. Of course, that also means the final boss encounters will be all the more fierce.

Most of the enemies in Prime are minor nuisances. Small creatures trundle about their daily lives and are only dangerous if stepped on. Often I tried to simply avoid them as it seemed rather mean to mess up some bug's day by blowing it into green pulp just because it's on a ledge I wished to jump to. Conversely I enjoyed the various effects different weapons have on Tallon IV's inhabitants. Ever take out those annoying Blood Flowers by shooting the exploding fruit growing nearby? Probably the most notable non pirate enemies in Prime are the sheegoths, both baby and adult. Not even the various metroid types are quite as intimidating. Ultimately though, the most dangerous and aggressive enemies in Prime are the Space Pirates.

PrimePirate.jpg

Bipedal insectoids, Samus' old foes come in a variety of forms. Some can't be seen without a special visor, others are only vulnerable to a certain weapon. Whatever the type, they are all highly aggressive, often charging at Samus to attack with a melee strike. They will drop in from concealment for surprise attacks, roll and move around to evade Samus' shots. They also make some of my favorite sound effects in the series. I have a special love for their growls and roars when hit or killed which adds to their aura of viciousness. Ultimately, Combat is the tertiary aspect of Prime. Enemies that need to be taken seriously are common only in certain environments. Most of the time, the gamer is left in relative peace to explore. Which makes the sudden encounter with a boss all the more intense.

Prime has some of my all time favorite boss encounters. For me, Only the collection of bosses in Echoes out does Prime, and only because I'm a big fan of “puzzle bosses”. Most of these major enemies in Prime are of the shooter type, requiring the gamer to simply identify a weakness and exploit it. Easier said than done as the bosses are every bit as aggressive as I could wish, and nicely challenging to take down. All of the major battles are memorable with each foe requiring a different approach. I particularly liked the giant Sheegoth, a toothy beast with two separate methods for defeating it: the obvious way, shoot it in the mouth; and the less apparent technique, plant bombs under its belly. I'd like to see more boss encounters like this, with multiple methodologies for taking on the enemy possible.

GiantSheegoth.jpg

One of the few criticisms I can make about Prime has to do with the way the environments of Tallon IV are interconnected. The only section that connects to every other area is Magmoor. I don't know how many times I stomped up and down the long corridor of the Magmoor Caverns but if I wanted to go to Phendrana, I had no choice. Magmoor's straight line simplicity makes it pretty quick to move though so even when I had the option of alternative routes, Magmoor ended up as my default far too often.

Another hiccup in the game's steady progression is the artifact hunt. I don't mind hunting down items that do something, but searching for glorified keys isn't a favorite activity. At least the search offers its own set of varied challenges and I can collect them throughout the game. Each game in the trilogy has a key hunt, and I'd place Prime's in the middle, neither the most, nor the least annoying.

Minor irritations aside, Prime is solid from the start. A fun and very satisfying voyage through an alien world. In its pacing, activities, and challenge, Prime feels very well balanced. When Retro Studios went about designing a sequel, they obviously took Prime's formula and made everything “bigger and better”. Indeed, I would characterize Echoes as Prime amplified. Unfortunately, this applies to both the positive and the negative attributes.

Part Two will follow in a separate post as it seems the message boards can not handle the sheer size of my awesomeness in a single post.

Nabs

great series. metroid prime 2 is highly overlooked (due to the slow start...) and is probably my favorite of the 3.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
first, a salute to DragonGirl - she did deliver as promised. maybe even over-delivered by my expectations: there's this bonus i give to people who are capable of eloquently communicating the thoughts i could only keep to myself. now, on to the chase ; )

the prime trilogy constitutes my very understanding of an adventure game, it is by far the high standard i judge all other adventures by (retroactively too). the trilogy is simply a milestone, one that takes the medium to a new level, one that makes people look at old genres with new eyes.

and in my eyes retro are the Arthur Conan Doyle's and Agatha Christie's of our time. and yes, i just compared a videogame trilogy to good literature. because retro are more than anything brilliant storytellers. only that they not only tell a mystery story, they build an entire universe for it, with its own rules, physical laws and common sense. so that they can immerse you in it.

i largely share DragonGirl's sentiments about the trilogy, down to the individual installments, though i give most weight to echoes, exactly due to what DragonGirl pointed out - echoes being that overly-strong tincture of prime. in comparison, corruption feels diluted, despite the fact it takes several elements of the game to perfection.

btw, a small tech remark - the selectable-destination transportation system was first introduced in echoes, but that happens so late in the game that its impact is negligible.

ps: here's a complementary tune for the OP and fans of echoes ; )

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
pswii60 said:
Aw, MP3 was great. I really miss it, will probably buy it again now the nostalgia is kickin in. Best use of Wiimote and 60fps ever.

I never said it wasnt great. I just dont think its the best Prime game

jowa

aaaah MP1 was such a masterpiece. MP2 wasn't as good but still really great.

Haven't played the third one.

Echoes

EchoesSamus.jpg

Echoes works to recapture the magic of Prime, but to take the experiences even further. The world of Aether is bigger and more expansive than Tallon IV was. The puzzles are more involved, the enemies tougher and more numerous, the bosses more extravagant. Unfortunately, Echoes also seems to take Prime's weaker aspects and worsen them. Travel is more tedious, the pace is slower and more methodical, nontrivial enemy encounters are too frequent. Then there are the key hunts. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Immediately following the events in Prime, Echoes sees the heroine traveling to a new world even more alien and mysterious than the last one she visited. She has been called upon to locate a missing troop of GFS marines who vanished in pursuit of a Space Pirate frigate near the planet Aether. Upon entering the atmosphere of Aether, Samus' ship is struck by lightning and crashes, breaking through the ceiling of a cave and landing inside.

Echoes begins much the same way as Prime, with Samus investigating a mystery. This time, rather than immediately uncovering the activities of Space Pirates, Samus discovers the unfortunate fates of the marines. It's not as intense a beginning as Prime, but the story is a poignant one. Initially, the tale is told by the carcasses of countless alien insects and the environment itself. These caves had been converted into a temporary base by the marines, where they apparently came into conflict with swarms of aggressive creatures. Then the marines themselves pick up the tale, or rather, their corpses do. Each sad find adds the final notes of a personal log revealing bit by bit the thoughts, activities, and fears of these lost soldiers. Their tale is concluded when Samus arrives at their own landing site, their ship having suffered a similar malfunction as Samus'. Here, a cut scene shows me the marines' last desperate stand against the hostile swarms of strangely possessed bugs.

Echoes is slightly more cut scene heavy than Prime was, and I found these short vignettes very well done, nicely animated, and conveying mood and emotion with simple clarity. This, combined with the excellent writing gave the characters (mostly deceased) a depth and reality of being. I have a great love of animation, and I especially appreciated the elegance of movement portrayed in the gestures of the moth-like Luminoth. U-Mos is my initial living representative of this graceful species and he tells Samus of Aether's current struggle: the history of the war on Aether and of the Ing who are behind the world's slow death as well as the deaths of the space marines. He asks Samus for her help and without so much as stopping to negotiate her contract, she sets off to explore the world.

LuminothIng.jpg

Temple Grounds –
Buff colored stone canyons and small leafless trees covered in shimmering webbing greet my eyes. Giant cocoons dot the landscape and spherical fungus pour green spores into the air. Everywhere there are fluttering moths that gather around the glow of Samus' Morph Ball. When first stepping off of Samus' ship on Tallon IV, the landscape was somewhat recognizable with its green growing things; the first introduction to Aether is of a stranger more unfamiliar world, but not an unlovely one.

Agon Wastes – This is the land of stone and sand. Here grows the blue root tree, brilliantly neon blue and enigmatically insubstantial. Pillar like rock formations and tunnels meld into Luminoth architecture and iconography. Nestled deep in this quiet land is a nest of pirates. They've burrowed deep and built a fortress directly into the sandstone cliffs.

Torvus Bog –
The bog has the feel of an industrial site set within flooded canyons. Dull brown vine like trees tangle into knots in this gloomy landscape of steamy falls and toxic plant life. The rooms beneath the temple are partially submerged and home to predatory fish and odd machinery.

Sanctuary Fortress –
High tech, alight with color and alive with alien technology. Holographic cubes, glowing energy cores, circuit board streams of light etched in the very air, this is a place of wonders. Sanctuary Fortress is a contender for best environment in the Prime Trilogy. There is so much variety here that it is difficult to characterize to those who have never seen it.

Dark Aether – The very air here is fouled with darkness. Passages are blocked by giant writhing worms and monstrous claws. The landscape is saturated with dark purple and black beneath a glaring red sky. The very land intimidates the warrior and crushes the spirit. This is the dark tunnel the heroine must travel down, beware, a dragon waits at the end.

Prime is a visual stunner. Echoes is even more so. The graphic leap between these two games is palpable. Textures seem sharper and more detailed and creatures contain more geometry. The Space Pirates in particular enjoyed a real improvement in their design and have never looked better (though I question the wisdom of an exposed beating heart. Sure it looks cool, but wouldn't that be a little, I dunno, fatal?). I also love the shadowy, bubbly pools that form into the Ing, frightful in how they ooze about the walls and floor. Samus herself enjoys a couple new looks. I'm a bit neutral on the Dark Suit but the Light Suit (i-Suit?) is silky, sleek, stylish, smooth, and other slick S words. I really wish it had been made available a bit earlier in the game.

LightPirate.jpg

Design-wise, Aether lacks Tallon IV's environmental diversity and outside of Sanctuary Fortress, the landscapes are rather samey. The Temple Grounds are mostly barren stone and the Agon Wastes are little different. Torvus Bog differentiates itself with water and wood but is an altogether dreary place. Dark Aether coming in on top of all this is, perhaps, a bit much. Colorful Sanctuary fortress comes as a relief. If I could make a change, it would be to Torvus. Too bad it hadn't been visualized more akin to Tallon Overworld or envisioned as an alien cypress swamp.

The balance of my triad of game play elements has shifted in Echoes. Even though the density and intensity of Navigation and Traversal have increased, it is Combat that has seen the biggest boost over what existed in Prime. In Echoes, I'd be tempted to say that all three categories stand nearly equal but the Navigation of this dual layered, planet wide labyrinth places it as the prominent element.

Echoes, with its twin world element, is a triumph of environmental puzzle design, from simple observational and memory challenges to grand, multi-tier, inventive thinking extravagances. Echoes is the game for those of us who love a good mental exercise, who enjoy playing the detective. It is also a love letter to the Morph Ball fan. There are at least 31 substantial Morph Ball courses and Spider Ball tracks. Unlike Prime, the majority of these are quite involved, putting the gamer's skills and thinking to the test. I also counted around 41 puzzle rooms. Well and truly, Echoes maxes out the cerebral experience in the trilogy.

This is what I call a very crunchy game. Adventure tasks are densely packed and extremely varied. However, all of this content acts as a double edged sword. The world is very complex which is fabulous for meticulous exploration, but frustrating when all you want to do is quickly travel from one point to another and with the Dark Aether element, everything seems to take twice as much walking to accomplish. Even though the different regions of Aether are much better interconnected than they were in Tallon IV, they are slower to work through. The different locales are also much more maze-like, especially the gnarled paths through Torvus Bog. I probably spent twice as much time looking at the map in Echoes as I did in Prime, just to orient myself from room to room. For the less patient gamer, this could lead to tedium and frustration.

Also slowing travel down are the enemy encounters. Mostly Samus runs into low threat but highly persistent foes. Splinters seem to be the most annoyingly common beasties, until all the war wasps show up that is. Also, some juncture points see constantly recurring Ing possessed Pirate Commandos which are tough to deal with until you get the Dark Visor. Then of course, there are the grenchlers in Torvus Bog. These nasties are like the baby sheegoth, only more intimidating and aggressive. Things certainly don't get friendlier on Dark Aether. The Ing make regular appearances in all their myriad forms, harassing Samus as she travels through their bizarro dimension. At least all of these enemies can be dispatched with only a few hits from the right weapon. Some encounters lock Samus in the room with her attackers although most encounters can be run from and rooms may even supply convenient short cuts and escape routes. I really enjoyed the imaginative cast of enemies in Echoes, which is the most diverse in the trilogy, but I think I would have preferred that they cut down on the encounter rates a little bit, particularly of the nuisance enemies like wasps and Inglets.

Grenchler.jpg

The Bosses in Echoes are another matter. The temple guardians are simply magnificent. I am especially fond of puzzle bosses, that is, boss enemies that require multiple steps and tools/abilities to take down. My favorite boss is Quadraxis, a mechanical monstrosity that requires some creative combat approaches to finish off. I also really enjoyed the Morph Ball bosses which required Samus to roll up into ball form and tackle them through indirect means. And of course there is Dark Samus, an Evil Twin of sorts who Samus runs into throughout the game. Fights with the Dark Hunter are always furious and fast paced.

A curious addition in Echoes that goes against Metroid norm is beam ammo. Traditionally, Samus' beam cannon could be fired endlessly; only missiles and the potent super bombs needed ammunition. I'm all for new and experimental ideas, but this one didn't come off as compelling. Running out of Dark or Light ammo was never disastrous. All it did was force me to spend time shooting inanimate objects for ammo. Running out of preferred ammo in a boss fight just made the fight drag out without much benefit to challenge. It felt like a weak component, one that probably looked better on paper than in execution. Ammo management works well as a strategic element for games which focus on the combat, but it seemed tacked on in a Metroid game. I wish they'd just left it on the cutting room floor.

One final task we see returning from Prime is the key hunt. Each temple requires three keys to open and the final temple takes a whopping nine. I was fine with seeking out the keys for the first three temples as they are picked up during regular progress through the game, but the nine Sky Temple keys tested my patience sometimes. During regular travel, I'd come across dead Luminoth Warriors, without knowing their significance (assuming this is the first play though) I'd move on without noting their locations. Not until the end portion of the game do I learn these aliens were key bearers, and somewhere near them is a key needed to enter the final temple. Simply relocating the Key Bearer is not enough, however, as the key itself is in the Dark Aether equivalent of the Light Aether room. So now I get to detour to the nearest portal and work my way back to that room's spot, collect the key, then return to the light world and do it all over again seven more times. At least in Prime I could collect some of the keys earlier in the game, but in Echoes, there is little point in trying to collect them until the end when Samus has the Light Suit. This final suit upgrade makes travel though the dark world much easier, and must be obtained before Samus can safely enter dark water, where a few keys are hidden. As a result, the key hunt tends to take up the final portion of the game. It wasn't awful, but it did feel like a lot of walking for little reward, and an artificial way of extending the game time to completion.

Complaints aside, Echoes is an amazing game, but one that I figure is an acquired taste. After my first play through, I rated it below Prime, but each replay sees my estimation of Echoes rise. Echoes is a game of highs and lows and I find it the most intense game in the trilogy. I wonder what thoughts went through the collective mind of Retro Studios when setting out to design Corruption. Aside from the directive of show casing the Wii's pointer function, it appears as though Corruption were designed to be the anti-Echoes. I'll forgive them, but only once.

Part Three to Follow

Corruption

CorruptedSamus.jpg

I enjoy Corruption almost as much as I enjoy Echoes, but for opposite reasons. Echoes took the cerebral elements from Prime and expanded on them, resulting in a content dense, if slow moving game. Corruption took the action oriented parts from Prime and streamlined them, resulting in a fast paced, but simplified romp. This is something I need to state up front as my review of the trilogy's final game contains the highest amount of criticism. I really find Corruption fun, but I do not find it as satisfying as its precursors. In many ways, Corruption is very different from Prime or Echoes, demonstrating a versatility of vision and execution within the Metroid framework. Corruption distinguishes itself from the previous two games right from the start with the plot.

No mystery greets Samus when she arrives on the scene in Corruption. It is made clear in the opening cinematic that the Dark Hunter is alive and well. As soon as I have control of our heroine I guide her to a meeting with three fellow bounty hunters and Admiral Dane, who leads a fleet of GFS battle ships. The admiral briefs the gathered hunters on a pirate attack on the GFS Valhalla which preceded a strange computer virus infecting the Aurora super computer network that the Federation relies on. The admiral barely finishes speaking when Space Pirates assault the fleet and Samus is thrown into action. The first goal is simply to make it back to her ship, rescuing space marines along the way (if you're quick enough). I enjoyed this quite a bit, both as a change of pace and on its own merits. Saving endangered marines is satisfying and passing by Samus' fellow hunters, kicking pirate arse in their own ways, is fun. Reaching the ship required, in true Metroid tradition, an inventive detour. Finally aboard, Samus flies to planet Norion to join the battle raging inside a military base.

3Hunters.jpg

Planetside, Samus is given new orders. Here, she must help reactivate the generators that power a cannon capable of destroying orbiting ships. The time she has to do this is short, as a new menace called a Leviathan is hurtling towards the planet. While working to bring the cannon on-line, Samus battles Ridley (not dead yet) and interacts with her peers: the hunters Rundas, Ghor, and Gandrayda. I like the little exchanges between Samus and the other hunters. Rundas and Ghor especially interest me, which makes their ultimate fates quite bitter, if not unexpected. It would have been nice if Retro had allowed the gamer the chance to bring about different outcomes when forced to confront the hunters after they'd been corrupted. Unfortunately, the story telling remains static. The fast paced intro segment ends with the planetary cannon destroying the Leviathan ship in the nick of time, but not before Dark Samus shows up and blasts the good guys and gals with phazon. A month later, Samus awakens with a new suit and a new burden (and that crew woman's face probably gives Samus nightmares too).

UglyWoman.jpg

Plot plays a much more direct role in Corruption than it did in Prime and Echoes. Rather than flowing freely, the story telling emphasizes objectives, handing out missions to Samus through cut scenes and (for the first time) fully implemented voice acting. If there's anything I find disheartening about Corruption, it's how intrusive some of the “story telling” is. I have no problem with the cut scenes. What annoy me are the transmissions Samus receives. Apparently in the world of Corruption the purpose of super computers is to tell you the obvious. A lot of the information on where to go and what to do is unnecessary (example: being told I need to find a way to unlock a door separating me from my target. No, really?). In games like those of the Metroid series where exploration and discovery are among the main draws, having the feel of someone's hand on my shoulder guiding me through the world step by step is incredibly detrimental to the experience.

AuroraUnit.jpg

For those who do need prompting, Corruption, like the past two games in the series, employs a hint system. Unfortunately, Corruption weaves the hint system into the narrative and there's no way to turn it off. Certainly, I can toggle off the hints option, but the only effect is a question mark not being added to the map when the Aurora Unit interrupts Samus' investigations. I could ignore the prompt to open my map or the prompt to listen to the communique, but the “press button” message displayed on the screen obstructs part of my view and I just want it gone. Might as well let the game force me through the map view or listen to all the jabber just to get it over with and out of my face.

Once Samus is finally released from the care of the Federation and set loose upon the galaxy, her missions take her to a handful of planets and one very creepy space ship.

Norion – The small GFS base on Norion consists mostly of plain metal corridors, demonstrating that the humans aren't as prone to artistic expression in their architecture as other civilized species tend to be.

Bryyo –
The most diverse of the alien worlds, Bryyo offers a wonderfully bizarre landscape of bulbous, spiked growths and cyclopean golems. Moon-like orbs are held stationary high in the sky by gigantic chains. Luminous butterflies swarm about lakes of brilliantly lit fuel gel, a caustic fluid taking the traditional place of lava as an environmental hazard. Hidden away within the alien jungles is a warp point taking Samus to a small snow enshrouded citadel, glistening with ice.

Elysia – Planet Elysia is home to an ancient Chozo research station called Sky Town, a city that literally hovers amongst the clouds, held aloft by rocket thrusters. The city is broken up into small hubs of rooms and elevators separated by suspended walkways, zip-lines, and open space. The Chozo bird motif is seen throughout the metal structures, their forms bronzed with age. Tiny repair robots skitter about, frantically working to keep the shuttering structures aloft.

Pirate Homeworld –
Industrial and uninviting, it seems the entire world is a warren of metal halls and jumbled machinery. Red and orange are the dominant colors with blue tendrils of phazon reaching towards the sky. Here is the odd beast, victim of pirate experimentation, its massive carcass now simply a part of the room to be burrowed through and built around.

GFS Valhalla – Easily one of the moodiest locations seen in the trilogy, this battered ship reminds me of the Space Pirate Frigate, bringing the journey full circle in a way. Garishly lit by the enveloping nebula, the wrecked capital ship bears the scars of the battle it lost. Smoldering debris drifts through the airless rooms exposed to the vacuum of space. Twisted metal fills passageways, and the bodies of marines and pirates alike remain frozen in silent testimony to violence.

Phaaze – Liquid neon shifting blues, flowing like blood through capillaries. Crystalline structures tall as skyscrapers, membranous walls and too many things writhing and pulsating to coral with a few sentences. Everything radiating light. A visual tour de force, but don't admire the scenery too long, Samus' very life is eroding away.

Corruption, like Prime and Echoes before it, displays some of the most beautiful and atmospheric art direction in the gaming industry. On the technical side though, I'm hard pressed to say whether there's as much of a visual leap between Corruption and Echoes as there was between Echoes and Prime. So much detail and polish has been put into each game that there comes a point where “more” becomes irrelevant. There are, however, some visual anomalies I feel the need to address, namely, what's up with the humans?

OldLookVSNewLook.jpg

There is no question that Retro can design some fabulous looking aliens. Also, Samus (her head at least) looked great at the end of Prime. Since then, however, the human designs have left me disappointed. Personally, I don't like Samus' “Zero Suit” look, but aside from that, the bare faced humans seen in Corruption cause me to cringe a little. They have oddly proportioned faces that seem vertically elongated. The animation also felt stiff and robotic at times, and lacking in punch at others (Admiral Dane's melodramatic gestures seemed particularly weightless). The presentation of the numerous (for Metroid) cut scenes also felt a bit uneven with the voice acting adding new pitfalls. None of the dialog was poor, though most of it was merely average. One thing that happens with voiced dialog is; lines that read perfectly well can sound corny when actually spoken aloud. The admiral and the marines/crew tended to be on the low end for dialog, but I thought the bounty hunters and Aurora Units were wonderfully portrayed. Corruption also offered up a new rendition of the Space Pirates that I have to address.

I did not care for the new look of the pirates, but it is what I didn't hear that really let me down. When I first battled the Space Pirates in Corruption, I felt something was missing and I didn't know what. It wasn't until the bridge battle on Norion (where Rundas got involved) that I identified what was absent. That ferocious and defiant roar, that deep growl that so personified the nature of the pirates, that guttural shout that had been one with the identity of these vicious aliens was gone. Now upon death, they simply, politely, fell over without the meekest utterance. What the hell, Retro? Even their theme seemed lesser, more whiny, a weaker aural presence all around which is unfortunate as, combat-wise, Corruption is mostly about the pirates.

In Echoes, the elements of Navigation, Traversal, and Combat all seemed to take big steps forward over Prime, in Corruption, everything seems to have taken a step back. I have to put Traversal in the primary position this time. There is a simplification of the worlds that promotes a faster pace, making travel quick and mostly painless. This streamlining comes at the cost of Navigation, however, which I put as the weakest element within Corruption. I counted roughly 26 puzzle rooms and most of them felt like the game was going easy on me. One brilliant exception, however, was a lateral thinking puzzle involving the moving of a golem's head and a huge battery in order to gain a power cell. I wish there had been more like that. There were around 29 Morph/Spider Ball courses, consisting mainly of quick little tracks. The Spider Ball itself is acquired late in the game so there are only a few magnetic rails, and none display the imaginative diversity enjoyed in Echoes (though the one in the Hall of Golems is a personal favorite). Areas tend to be smaller and basic in design, consisting mostly of straightforward corridors with little need to navigate challenging terrain. Branching paths are a relative rarity. The Aurora Unit telling me what I'll find in any given environment from the outset also puts a damper on the sense of discovery.

Combat is very prominent in Corruption, but I feel it is due to a lightened presence of the other elements. There are actually fewer engagements with significant enemies in Corruption than there were in Echoes (probably a good thing), and the variety of enemies is definitely lesser (a bad thing). There are no grenchlers or sheegoth here that you need to maneuver around to get that shot off. There are no bloggs that require careful timing to affect that kill. There are no elementally vulnerable beasties requiring astute beam switching or machines to dispatch with a multi-missile lock on strike. In Corruption, pretty much everything succumbs to just being shot lots and lots, or tugged on with the Grapple Beam. That's not to say combat is a bore. The directness and precision of using the pointer and motion controls comes to the rescue, making combat quite interactive. It's not a replacement for the loss in variety, but it's still fun in a visceral sense. Unfortunately, many of the boss fights don't live up to the epic struggles of games past. Most of the boss battles are of the simple “shoot the big red target” variety. The usage of different visors is downplayed while the use of the Grapple beam to pull on loose armor is perhaps overplayed. There are no beams to switch and missiles play little to no role. As a result, most of these battles consist of no more than frantic shooting. Again, the direct targeting factor brought forth by the Wiimote adds a new dimension to the game play, but the bosses still lack tactical variety.

In Echoes, Retro tried to add an ammo management strategy to the combat with the Light and Dark Beams. In Corruption, a similar concept is tried with with PED suit. In this game Samus has the ability to go into “Hypermode”, a phazon enhanced state that heavily increases her damage dealing capabilities and makes her invincible. This state must be managed carefully, for allowing it to overload can result in death. Also, simply engaging Hypermode costs a full Energy Tank. Exploiting Hypermode and managing it properly adds a strong tactical element and challenge to Corruption...but only if you play the game on the hardest difficulty setting. I found the Veteran difficulty too easy to really make full use of Hypermode, and the Normal difficulty setting isn't even worth discussing. Also, possibly as a side affect of Hypermode, most enemies take too many hits from Samus' normal weaponry to go down. As a result, it feels less like Hypermode has an increase above the norm in power, and more like Samus' regular arsenal has been nerfed.

Hypermode.jpg

Now, finally, we get to the odds and ends. Corruption takes the Prime formula and really mixes it up with some results I like a great deal. It intersperses the free roaming exploration segments with short missions that have a definitive goal. Although I felt the exploration was handled too lightly, I thoroughly enjoy the variety brought in by the missions, like figuring out how to build a nuke and escorting bomb toting marines who, curiously, have weaker than normal armor. (Considering they carry bombs and don't need high maneuverability since they don't primarily engage in combat, you'd think they would have stronger than average armor. But that's real world logic, not game logic.)

I also really liked the uses for Samus' ship. Sure, calling in an air strike was rather weakly implemented, but using the ship to haul around huge pieces of scenery for large scale puzzles is a brilliant gaming element I want more of. Ultimately though, it is the ship's simplest use that I find has the most impact. I can not stress how fantastic it is to just hop into the cockpit, punch in a destination, and fly there. The ship replaces the traditional Metroid elevator, and that is wonderful. Why? Because it is an elevator that can go anywhere, not just from point A to point B, it can go to any point.

Metroid games are adventure games, and one basic element of the adventure is revisiting old areas with new toys to do more exploring and item collecting. The bane of exploration is backtracking. In Metroid, it is not unusual to crisscross the entire planet multiple times, and that's a lot of walking. My biggest complaint about Echoes concerned all of the walking: marching through a series of rooms, taking an elevator to a new area, marching through more rooms, taking another elevator, and maybe finally getting to the general vicinity of my goal. Echoes tried to address the issue of all this travel by making sure every area had an elevator to every other area, but there was still a whole lot of walking. How much would the tedium of travel been decreased if I could have just flown straight from Torvus to one of a number of conveniently placed landing pads in Agon? I don't think the impact of convenient ship travel on game pacing should be underestimated, and for that matter, I'd also like to see warp points return in future Metroid games. The surprise of warping into Bryyo Ice, of stumbling upon such an unexpected location, was a high point in Corruption.

The last thing I want to discuss about Corruption concerns the collection of Power Cells, Corruption's variation on the Key Hunt. This is how it should be done folks, the last game in the Trilogy gets it ever so right. First off, rather than just sitting incongruously around the environment, the Power Cells are a part of it. Unplugging them often has a consequence, like setting free a swarm of metroids. Also, they are easily picked up through the natural process of exploring the world, and in at least one stellar example, the act of acquiring one takes thought and planning that fits naturalistically into the setting. Finally, the Power Cells actually do something. They are tools used to explore one of the most interesting locations in the entire game. What a wonderful incentive to collect every last one of them.

Corruption sought to close out the Prime Trilogy with a bang and I'd say it succeeded. I have to hand it to the good people at Retro and Nintendo for the willingness to experiment with a tried and true formula. If you aren't willing to risk a miss, you'll never discover a new hit. All of the Metroid Prime games offer up a wealth of new elements that can only enrich this treasured series in future installments, may there be many more to come.

In closing...

I have written 11 pages on the Metroid Prime Trilogy, and yet I feel I've left out at least as much stuff as I've written in. I didn't mention my surprise and delight of the expanded uses for the Grapple Beam in Corruption, and what more could be done with it. Or, how cool the soldering tool usage of the Plasma Beam in Corruption was. Too bad Retro didn't expand it beyond simply soldering circuit boards. I didn't discuss how I missed reading non lore pirate logs, often a source of humor and totally absent in Corruption. I found the change of Samus' ship's design from one game to the next interesting and wonder why the disturbingly wiggly “plants” first seen in Echoes had no log entry. I badly want to scan them every time I start up a new game. There is much more concerning what was done with Metroid in its premier 3-D outing that could be discussed, and discussion I invite. Finally, I hope above all else that you enjoyed reading my revisit of Metroid!

Samus.jpg

Original Images sourced from:
http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/index.php?g=mp3&p=music
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://wii.ign.com/
http://www.gamespot.com/

MoxManiac

MP3 just didn't have the open ended exploration and such that MP1 and 2 had. It always felt too linear and I never felt lost or wondered where to go. It's still good, however.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
MoxManiac said:
MP3 just didn't have the open ended exploration and such that MP1 and 2 had. It always felt too linear and I never felt lost or wondered where to go. It's still good, however.

Like the Fusion of the Prime games, cept not as good

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'd really like metroid to make some big changes when we see it again. nintendo should do some really radical stuff to differentiate it from zelda, though i'm not sure what; whatever the case, it's a prime candidate to reinvent itself. metroid went from third to first person and was still fantastic. it has changed control schemes three times over. freedom amongst the games has varied quite a bit. i don't see any reason for nintendo to not take some chances and really change things up on us.

Sorry about that folks, it seems the sheer length of my writing overwhelmed the post. I am rather disappointed to notice a lot of junk posts immediately following my (initially broken) first post. I'd greatly appreciate it if the folks responsible for those posts would either delete them or fill them with constructive discussion. Thank you.

Edit: I hope that request didn't sound pretentious. It is just a desire to try and keep the thread clean...at least starting out.

Also, is there a way to center text on these boards? My main titles and images are meant to sit in the middle, rather than being justified left.

master15

I don't have much to add as I only finished the first game and got half way through Echoes, but for me few games gave me the same sense of immersion and isolation like the original.

Visually and in terms of design it still stands head and shoulders above most games and is a real treat from the scanning system, lock-on mechanics to lore.

s_06.gif
s_07.gif
s_01.gif

s_03.gif
s_01.gif
s_02.gif

s_06.gif
s_01.gif
s_02.gif

I don't have time to read this now, but will do. Sometime this week. Got to get to sleep, to get to work tomorrow. I hate the working life. I am another brick in the wall.

adg1034

DragonGirl said:
Sorry about that folks, it seems the sheer length of my writing overwhelmed the post. I am rather disappointed to notice a lot of junk posts immediately following my (initially broken) first post. I'd greatly appreciate it if the folks responsible for those posts would either delete them or fill them with constructive discussion. Thank you.

Also, is there a way to center text on these boards? My main titles and images are meant to sit in the middle, rather than being justified left.

As great, thought-provoking, and well-written as your original posts are, the mere fact that some people poked fun at what was originally in the OP doesn't take away from your work. It's a little pretentious to have an expectation that they'd change that, even though God only knows we could use some more constructive discussion 'round here.

Great posts, though.

DragonGirl said:

Sadly you cannot center.

Threi

notag
DragonGirl said:

Eh my post still works, just for a different reason now :)

Chris R

I have only ever finished the first Metroid game on the GBA. Trying to do a 100% run on Super Metroid now, but I can't do the damn mockball so I might just finish it and screw the 100% Then its on to MP1 which I got probably half done with and then quit, MP2 which I got about 2% in and quit, and then buy MP3.

Firestorm

Good writeups. I loved the first Prime for mostly the same reasons as you and I agree completely on Retro's issues with creating humans. I honestly don't understand it.

It might be shallow, but I'd really love to see Metroid Prime re-created on next-generation hardware (after 360/PS3/Wii). The environments in that game were just amazing. The story-telling was perfect too. I wish more games took the Metroid Prime/Bioshock approach to telling a story.

DragonGirl said:

Will do. Great thread, btw.

I bought this game when it came out, even though I hate FPS games, and it was pretty awesome.. I got about 1/4 of the way through but then I sold it so I could get Panzer Dragoon Orta... and since I've sold my Gamecube. Luckily I still have my GC memory card, so when I get another GC I'm definitely going to pick this up.

Peru

Been talking about this series for years.. gushing, ranting in long-winded attempts at grasping what made me and makes me fall in love with Prime. Its unique progression design, its atmosphere, its mechanics, its underrated narrative (the first game). I even wrote a university thesis on Metroid Prime and it's coherent fictional world.

All that needs to be said is that Metroid Prime stands as my favorite game of all time. I'm going to paraphrase David Lynch's seven word-summary for Twin Peaks and apply it here:
I love Metroid Prime and its world.

Awesome, awesome post. I was going to do something similar to this for a LTTP thread when I was finished the game. I'm now thinking I might not need to.

I myself am almost finished my first playthrough of Metroid Prime. I'm currently on the artifact hunt and am searching for the final two. Then, onto the impact crater. I can't wait!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm not sure how to feel about metroid prime 3's lack of breakout success, sales-wise. it was definitely an attempt to pump the series into the mainstream to an extent, and as a result some of the nuance was removed, particularly in the exploration and storytelling. but if it didn't have that breakout success despite the changes, is retro (or whoever takes over the series from here, or has say in its direction) more likely to let it be a niche fan-pleasing product that takes super metroid/prime's "less is more" storytelling and presentation approach and runs with it? it almost seems like a series that is, by design, not destined for mainstream success. nintendo has the money to support a vanity project for their core fans. i don't know. i guess it'll be interesting to see what direction the next game takes.

Top Bottom