• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter IV -Arcade release - Late July!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
From Gamespot:

While it's been less than four months since Capcom's announcement of Street Fighter IV, the game's debut today at the Amusement Machine Operators’ Union show in Japan revealed that its development is far enough along for all known characters to be fully playable. Given that, it's not surprising that Capcom already has a good idea on when the game will be ready for the arcades.

In a sales leaflet given to arcade dealers and members of the press during the event, Capcom once again confirmed that Street Fighter IV is on course for a summer release in Japan. According to the leaflet, arcade operators who purchase the game board in conjuction with a Taito VEWLIX arcade cabinet will receive their order in late-July, while those picking up the board stand-alone will receive their orders in mid-August.

Gamers eager to check out the latest edition of Street Fighter for themselves will have two chances this month to do so in Japan. The game will be playable at the AOU show when it opens to the general public tomorrow, and the game's first beta test will take place at Plaza Capcom in Tokyo from February 22 to 24.

kenta

Has no PEINS
What's a Taito VEWLIX?

And another unrelated question: I saw what looked like a seventh black button in videos of SF4, what was that all about?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Dear Sega:

Buy some of these and put them in GameWorks. Then I will actually go to GameWorks.

Love, SHOTEH

If this happens, I'll be at the GameWorks in Schaumburg, Illinois the day it hits.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
lyre said:
And that only makes it easier for them to rehash the same game at least five more times.

Well, it IS Capcom you know (as a Megaman fan you are, you know better than everyone)

lyre

Raging Spaniard said:
Well, it IS Capcom you know (as a Megaman fan you are, you know better than everyone)
It should go without saying.

However, even with their rehashes, they will STILL find a way to screw that up, just to fuck with their long time fans.

They truly do hate us and SF2 3dee is the proof of it.

Pachael

kenta said:
What's a Taito VEWLIX?

Maybe a variant of the X2?

I guess it bears commenting, but the Taito boards are gaining great popularity among arcade software makers, mostly due to the standard parts they use (eg. pretty much a PC.) This lets devs develop the game on PCs to be ported to arcades and bypasses the whole 'proprietary hardware' that the console based hardware has, like Namco's continual adoption of Type 76X, or whatever the PS3 is these days. And note that Sega's (Lindbergh) is also a souped up PC.

There's no place for a specific arcade hardware model anymore (CPS1-3, Model1-3) anymore... PC (sorta) gaming FTW?

Anyway, isn't KOFXII using a X2? That looked nice.

Raging Spaniard

lyre said:
It should go without saying.

However, even with their rehashes, they will STILL find a way to screw that up, just to fuck with their long time fans.

They truly do hate us and SF2 3dee is the proof of it.

Apples and oranges like always, I'm loving everything Ive seen so far.

border

Having an exclusive arcade release seems like a mistake, since it kind of deflates any hype or anticipation for a console release.

And yeah, it's funny how the game supposedly went from 2% complete to 100% complete in the course of 6-8 months.

kenta said:
What's a Taito VEWLIX?

And another unrelated question: I saw what looked like a seventh black button in videos of SF4, what was that all about?

I think it's just the arcade cabinet you can order with the actual board. I've seen pics of it and it's got an HD monitor and the sitting Japanese style design.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Jesus.

I can only presume that this quick development time is intentional, just so Capcom can release as many iterations as possible.

Super Street Fighter IV: Turbo Championship Strike #3

D.Lo

Artanisix said:
only 1% done sorry
Damn, beated!:lol

I can't believe anyone believed that 'only 1% complete' crap from 1up. It was so clearly a mask to avoid early criticism. Anyone in the threads about it who criticised the visuals were told "IT'S ONLY ONE PERCENT DONE EVERYTHING CAN CHANGE DON'T CALL IT EX4 IT WILL GET BETTAR!!!!'

George Claw M.D. said:
Could it be likely that Capcom is releasing to arcades, first, to tweak gameplay balances before releasing on consoles?

Yea probably. I assume that temporary release date in Japan is just a location test so they can iron out the game.

But a revised version on the consoles wouldn't be a good idea so early since people won't have a reason to play the outdated arcade version.

Grayman

George Claw M.D. said:
Could it be likely that Capcom is releasing to arcades, first, to tweak gameplay balances before releasing on consoles?
I'm not sure. It is probably easier to update the consoles than arcade machines today. Then again the arcade release just has to work for vs. play, the console release requires a bunch of additional work so the mainstream consumers that do buy it don't feel ripped off.

I think the events before release are when they do some of the tweaking.

Vrolokus

Banned
George Claw M.D. said:

Hopefully... because back in the day, Capcom's move was to release the old version for home whenever they released a newer version in the arcade.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I wonder how hard the loan officer at the bank is going to laugh when I say "Taito Viewlix cabinet" to him during the loan application.

:(

*EDIT*

Oh thats weak! People who just need the SFIV board have to wait longer.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Vrolokus said:
Hopefully... because back in the day, Capcom's move was to release the old version for home whenever they released a newer version in the arcade.

Of course that was when arcades were still relevant in America, right?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
There's no way SF IV can cost as much as Tekken 6 or VF5... If it's cheaper than T5 arcade or T5DR arcade was, count me in for 1. :D

kazuo

GalacticAE said:
I think it's just the arcade cabinet you can order with the actual board. I've seen pics of it and it's got an HD monitor and the sitting Japanese style design.

015-ph.jpg

This is correct. The Vewlix is Taito's latest and greatest arcade cabinet. Features a 16:9 LCD Monitor capable of displaying images at 720p.

SFIV is running on Taito's TypeX2 hardware, which is essentially a PC running Windows XP embedded. It is the upgraded version of Taito's TypeX hardware.
http://www.typex.taito.jp/feature.html [specifications and images of the hardware]

Here is a nice article on Battle Fantasia, a fitan gaem by ARC System Works which runs on Taito's TypeX2 hardware at 720p. (loaded into a Vewlix cabinet)
http://insomnia.ac/japan/battle_fantasia/
vewlix_action.jpg

General information on the hardware from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taito_Type_X

Some more images of games and the hardware from System16 (this is somewhat out of date; they don't even have an entry for TypeX2!):
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=677

Hope that clears things up and helps you guys understand what all this stuff is.

Oh, and for those of you thinking about importing a Vewlix... it will not be cheap, esp. if its new, and especially if you get one with SFIV. I know a few guys who import arcade cabs, and the cheapest they can get a Vewlix for used is roughly $5-$6000. They're expensive to begin with, and arcade operators don't like selling just one, they usually want to move multiple units.

japtor

kenta said:
vewlix_action.jpg

Looks like the same panel in the SF4 vids, confirms what I posted before. It looks like they are just using a standardized panel and filling in the unused buttons (well, holes) with black button plugs.
kazuo said:
SFIV is running on Taito's TypeX2 hardware, which is essentially a PC running Windows XP embedded. It is the upgraded version of Taito's TypeX hardware.
http://www.typex.taito.jp/feature.html [specifications and images of the hardware]
Damn Type X (here are the X2 specs btw). Have all the games used the same specs or does it vary depending on the game? Seems kinda pointless to have a standardized system if the main components (CPU, GPU, RAM)...aren't. Are they selling games alone or are they all only sold as a full Type X setup? Last I heard the games were tied to the systems they came with.
SapientWolf said:
Why would it be so expensive? You could get a monitor and the equivalent PC hardware for less than a grand.
Cause that's how it is, arcade hardware is expensive as hell when it comes out. I would guess the main reasons (other than that the market pays that much) is cause they aren't massively produced (compared to most consumer electronics) and that they are income producing. On top of that, in this particular case, HD machines are relatively new.
Captain N said:
Anyone know how much it would cost to buy Street Fighter IV arcade?
I haven't followed prices in a few years, so the closest thing I remember is some Type X(1) games. I vaguely remember that they were around $2500...but I might just be thinking of Cave games. If it doesn't require an HD cab, then you can get a cab for anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand. What would make it harder with older cabs is that this is JVS (which I think came out either with NAOMI or around that time), while pretty much every old cab is plain JAMMA (or some custom wiring setup if you go even older). I think JAMMA-JVS adapters are somewhere around $250.

Now if this does require an HD cab, then you're sorta screwed price wise. Since JVS uses a VGA output and has regular audio jacks you might be able to rig something up with a regular HDTV and stereo setup, but you would still need some adapter (USB->adapter->controller) for the controls.

Or just wait for the home ports.

Captain N said:
Anyone know how much it would cost to buy Street Fighter IV arcade?
Oh, and for those of you thinking about importing a Vewlix... it will not be cheap, esp. if its new, and especially if you get one with SFIV. I know a few guys who import arcade cabs, and the cheapest they can get a Vewlix for used is roughly $5-$6000. They're expensive to begin with, and arcade operators don't like selling just one, they usually want to move multiple units.

Also, probably for the right to have the game at all. It'll generate tons of cash.

Top Bottom