• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY GUYS BREAKING NEWS Japan scans are banned man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Certain publications got pissed, and instead of further pissing them off we decided to stop the posting of Japanese scans on GAF. To be honest we always thought it a little hypocritical to allow Japanese scans and disallow American scans anyway.

It's sad, I know, but you guys always have google.

P.S.
We can still post news, just no scans.

JavaMava

well thats unfortunate. Just curious was it against any sort of law or agreement or are you just being a nice guy?

ram

wow!

i am shocked!

no more jap. news on tuesdays/wednesdays?

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

batbeg

No no no no no!!!

:(

Man. That sucks.

There's been a shitload of big stuff happening the past two days though :lol

Kosma

Banned
We must fight!

veupud.jpg

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
sp0rsk said:
Certain publications got pissed, and instead of further pissing them off we decided to stop the posting of Japanese scans on GAF. To be honest we always thought it a little hypocritical to allow Japanese scans and disallow American scans anyway.

It's sad, I know, but you guys always have google.

P.S.
We can still post news, just no scans.

Cool. Now turn the attention to the open talk of pirating movies and music. Games are a no no, the rest are fair game. Always seemed a bit weird to me.

Kosma

Banned
monkeylite said:
Shame. But I did think it was odd having different rules for American and Japanese scans.

Well it made sense because you werent stealing readers from the JPN mags you know.

Rlan

They all come from 2ch anyway right? I'm sure Kotaku / everywhere else will post them anyhow, just not nearly as coherantly as we do.

So how can I see the scans now?

Oh, so this is to promote the magazines. Ok, I'll just go buy the issues then.

Let me just MOVE TO FUCKING JAPAN.

monkeylite said:
Shame. But I did think it was odd having different rules for American and Japanese scans.

If this was a Japanese oriented site, it would make sense. Yes I'm aware there are many Japanese people here or people that live in Japan - but since this is primarily an English speaking site (and everyone here does speak English) it only makes sense to ban UK and American magazine scans. Even an official gaming website like Jeux France posts American gaming magazine scans sometimes (like Nintendo Power etc) - they are French, after all.

Honestly, this sucks. :(

batbeg

I'm mostly annoyed because I tend to find a lot of awesome artwork I would otherwise never see if it weren't for these scans :( I honestly don't know where else to find scans, will have to search it out now.

Kintaro said:
Cool. Now turn the attention to the open talk of pirating movies and music. Games are a no no, the rest are fair game. Always seemed a bit weird to me.

I'm pretty sure it's already this way... for example, talking anime downloads on liscenced anime = no-no. In the Stage6 thread we were explicitly told no DVDs or anything illegal, etc. Isn't it?

batbeg said:
I'm mostly annoyed because I tend to find a lot of awesome artwork I would otherwise never see if it weren't for these scans :( I honestly don't know where else to find scans, will have to search it out now.

What sucks even more is that a lot of scans normally come from certain Gaffers themselves.

THERE IS NO HOPE

Chris Michael said:
If this was a Japanese oriented site, it would make sense. Yes I'm aware there are many Japanese people here or people that live in Japan - but since this is primarily an English speaking site (and everyone here does speak English) it only makes sense to ban UK and American magazine scans.

But that's not to say that Japanese gamers won't have caught wind that Japanese scans were regularly being posted here. In any case, published material is still copyrighted material, regardless of where it's being posted. We don't have a divine right to these scans.

john tv

Chris Michael said:
So how can I see the scans now?

Oh, so this is to promote the magazines. Ok, I'll just go buy the issues then.

Let me just MOVE TO FUCKING JAPAN.

We did it. So can you!

If you want to see the scans that badly, you'll find a way. It's not like this is your only possible outlet for viewing these things.

People from all kinds of countries visit NeoGAF, not just the US. It seems pretty hypocritical to be cracking down on scans of one country's mags but not any other country's mags. And it's not like the news isn't still going to be there just like it always was. :p

sp0rsk said:

The scans usually come after the news.

what about NEO? he posted the best news and scans what is he going to do with his life now?

we named GAF NEOGAF because this guy was the master of scans

think about neo :(

Pachael

What I did like about the scans is essentially confirmation that the original posters aren't making the news up. Ok, almost confirmation. Oh well, it's probably for the better.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Just for our own amusement and enlightenment, are we allowed to know which publications contacted GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom