• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backwards compatibility confirmed for new 80gb PS3 bundle

Guy Legend

An FYI for a lot of people, the PS blog responded to the question of BC in the 80gb MGS4 bundle:

nmc75 | February 26th, 2008 at 11:11 am

Does the new 80gb PS3 bundle include a PS3 with backwards compatibility for PS2 games?

adeleon replied on February 26, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Yes, similar to the Motorstorm bundle, the new MGS4 bundle features an 80GB PS3 with some PS2 backwards compatibility.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...-psp-and-dualshock3-release-date-by/#comments

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
ColbertCalledIt.gif

NolbertoS

Anybody with half a brain would've never believed the rumours that the 80GB was BC-less..still I prefer HW simulation of Software simulation for PS2 games....<hugs 60GB PS3>

Rolf NB

an 80GB PS3 with some PS2 backwards compatibility.
What? Wouldn't it have been sensible to refer to the old 80GB model as "the 80GB model" instead of "an 80GB PS3"? Old 80GB or new 80GB, which one is it?

I AM SO CONFUSED!

witness

MGS: Essential Collection purchase confirmed! :D

So a question, so by some BC do they mean like how it works for 360? Is there a list of PS2 games that work on the 80gb system currently?

Cannot wait for june, triple A games during the summer finally after many summers of a gaming drought.

f@luS

More than a member.
konrad77 said:
Does it really matter? Aren't you happy for thoose who wants BC with their MGS4 bundled Playstation3?
Excuse me? I am genuinely happy for them

My quote was a sony comment (or almost) and an answer for people saying "noway sony has 2 current different motherboard ! the 80g will be soon no more available 4 eva !!"

I guess this also means that Sony will continue working on its software to reduce glitches and hopefully boost emulation performance. This is dang good news.

Proven

Aww, GAF already broke the link.

Anyway, this is the model I'm looking forward to now. If only I can save up enough money before it becomes discontinued too.

Ranger X

bcn-ron said:
What? Wouldn't it have been sensible to refer to the old 80GB model as "the 80GB model" instead of "an 80GB PS3"? Old 80GB or new 80GB, which one is it?

I AM SO CONFUSED!

Well they said "an" probably because there's multiple PS3 model and not meaning there's multiple 80gig model.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
HyperZone<3 said:
I guess this also means that Sony will continue working on its software to reduce glitches and hopefully boost emulation performance. This is dang good news.
I hope so. I think I'll wait for the MGS4 bundle and see what the fuss is about.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!

Redd

DMPrince said:
good. now people can't complain.

Doubtful some will say it still cost to much. Ignore them with all the stuff your getting with this bundle it's a steal. Unless you hate the Metal Gear Solid series.

Vaxadrin

Banned
Can anyone attest to how well Shadow Of The Colossus works with software BC? I'm going to pick up a PS3 for Wipeout, but if that game runs well upscaled that'll be the deciding factor in which SKU I grab.

Rolf NB

Ranger X said:
Well they said "an" probably because there's multiple PS3 model and not meaning there's multiple 80gig model.
It could mean either. I would really like to see some clarification on this.

Oooh, ooh, let me complain!

I didn't realize the 80gb didn't have hardware BC. I am a caveman without a PS2 and this would have been a good excuse to grab "two" consoles at once.

Alphahawk

You know as much as I welcome BC back into the Playstation 3 hardware, as a retail employee it was nice to just be able to tell people "This is the PS3 take it or leave it" instead of going through three different SKUs of what it has and doesn't has. It's also dissapointing that the game is theamed around MGS4 but only includes the demo, oh well I guess it's better than the 360 Halo 3 edition.

Also intresting is the new GOW PSP pack hopefully this replaces the ridiculous Star Wars bundle...

Redd

Alphahawk said:
You know as much as I welcome BC back into the Playstation 3 hardware, as a retail employee it was nice to just be able to tell people "This is the PS3 take it or leave it" instead of going through three different SKUs of what it has and doesn't has. It's also dissapointing that the game is theamed around MGS4 but only includes the demo, oh well I guess it's better than the 360 Halo 3 edition.

Blame Sony for taking out BC in one of their Skus.

one curious thing, it say "similar" not the same as, maybe they could've got rid of the GS and added a software solution (which it does seem they've been working on) so perhaps ultra shitty bc???

Top Bottom