• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: Confirmed PS5 Won’t Have backwards Compatibility With PS3 and Older Games

TLZ

Banned
Yea we knew this, but still disappointing.

At least have PS1 and PS2 in fgs. Even the PS4 is literally playing PS2 games through emulation.

With 10tf it should be a piece of cake.

EDIT: I know they'll use that same emulator to download and play PS2 games on PS5 through PSNow though. Maybe PS1 will be added this time?

Last edited:

semicool

Banned
images

Last edited:
Surprised he didn't say "sure you can run the specially curated selection of great PlayStation 2™ games that are also currently available for the PlayStation 4™".
Which PS2 games, the PS Now PS2 games or the PSN ports of PS2 games like ADK Damashii? Or the PS Now PS3 collections of PS2 games? I lost track awhile ago. :goog_rofl:

Sony and Nintendo both seem to regularly fumble with their own back-catalogue while the company with the thinnest one (Microsoft) is making clowns out of them both.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Which PS2 games, the PS Now PS2 games or the PSN ports of PS2 games like ADK Damashii? Or the PS Now PS3 collections of PS2 games? I lost track awhile ago. :goog_rofl:

Sony and Nintendo both seem to regularly fumble with their own back-catalogue while the company with the thinnest one (Microsoft) is making clowns out of them both.
Agreed, the messaging is so broken.

But I was talking about this:

An initiative they started when at the end of 2015 when Microsoft was winning a lot of praise for their backwards compatibility program. Then they released less than 50 games for it and killed it about a year later (with a few other games like Jak and Daxter coming out a bit after that).

Agreed, the messaging is so broken.

But I was talking about this:

An initiative they started when at the end of 2015 when Microsoft was winning a lot of praise for their backwards compatibility program. Then they released less than 50 games for it and killed it about a year later (with a few other games like Jak and Daxter coming out a bit after that).
Ahhh yup, the ADK Damashii collection was one of those. I remember them pulling PS2 compatibility from the PS3 but saying they'd make it up with digital. The consolation was that every PS3 could at least play PS1 discs, even the super slim, and most PS2 isos if you hacked yours.

lol and then the PS4 couldn't even play PS1 games.

Honest question, I know PS3 is a whole other kettle of fish cause of cell, but is there really such a technical limitation preventing them implementing BC for PS1 and PS2? To be clear, I’m asking purely from a technical standpoint; don’t @ me with bs about “if rather they do xyz with their resources”.

Andodalf

Banned
Honest question, I know PS3 is a whole other kettle of fish cause of cell, but is there really such a technical limitation preventing them implementing BC for PS1 and PS2? To be clear, I’m asking purely from a technical standpoint; don’t @ me with bs about “if rather they do xyz with their resources”.

The PS5 could emulate PS1 and PS2 easily, and probably PS3 but that'd take some work and might not work for every title

Keihart

The PS5 could emulate PS1 and PS2 easily, and probably PS3 but that'd take some work and might not work for every title
PS2 it's kinda finnicky to with textures not loading and so on, but yeah, at least they could make it compatible with was already running as PS2 Classics.

Andodalf

Banned
PS2 it's kinda finnicky to with textures not loading and so on, but yeah, at least they could make it compatible with was already running as PS2 Classics.

It would probably need to be on a game by game basis like Xbox does to clean stuff up

EDMIX

I'm fine with this as long as all consoles support BC going forward from ps4 as a starting point

True. I still have my OG launch PS3 next to my PS4 and looks like it will be next to my PS5 next gen too lol

I only go back for a few titles and it simply saves me from getting out my PS2. I beat all 4 of the Onimusha games this gen, Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe. Now if any of those are remastered...... I will officially retire the OG PS3 to the closet as its final resting place. Most of my favorite PS1 and PS2 titles got ported, remastered, remade etc, to the point where only a small few really still exist only on PS2 that I'd return to once a generation or so. Had those games been put on some collection, I would have actually just got those instead of continue to play the originals.

Its not like I WANT to play the whole Onimusha series in standard definition or something.

Pallas

Any backwards comparability with PS3, PS2 and PS1 was going to be difficult. I'm happy with PS4 backwards compatibility.

I see you've been trolling non-stop in threads. Shocking post history.
You have nothing to add to the discussion so why comment?

reported
I’ll give you the PS3 being very difficult to emulate but the PS1/PS2? There’s no excuse, no matter how you try to picture it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Netflix of games would be nice but not surprising. i would rather them make a kickass new machine than have it hampered by PS3 design. that system was notoriously difficult to design for.

as for playing 20+ year old games on a next gen machine, i don't see the appeal. if i want to retro game i will play on OG hardware or emulate.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
I just don't get this from a business perspective. That's thousands of titles they could be getting royalties from

Come on. You and I both know that is not true. There are for sure thousands of titles but there is no market for them.
It is an issue a vocal minority ask for but at the end of the day almost no one will actually use and spend money on.

Ask sony, on PS3, how many copies of the PS1 and PS2 games did people actually buy? They have the data.
On PS4, how many people bought any of the two generation old PS2 games they have in their BC catalogue?

They have the data. There are very few people that care enough about 2 generation old games to actually play them or spend money on them. I would go so far to say that the vast majority of those very few "fans of 2 or more generations old systems and games" would absolutely never play them on an emulator anyway. So.

At the end of the day. Sony understands the market and they are all about making money. If there had been money to make in PS3 BC then PS5 would have PS3 BC. Now there is not and therefore it wont.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone knew already, but it's nice to have it in writing.

Still, you'll be able to buy the PS2 GTA trilogy for $20, again, probably.
60 dollars and be greatful mighty Sony is not gonna ask for more. You know cause the dollar is inflated just like my big head! (in my pants)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cato

Banned
I'm fine with this as long as all consoles support BC going forward from ps4 as a starting point

I think BC with the previous generation to ease the transition between generations is a thing that will remain going forward.
It also makes sense financially since there is still a market for the better prev-gen games during the start of next-gen.

But BC for 2+ generation old games? I doubt it. Sony has been offering this since PS3 and they know if there is a market for this or not.

I personally would never under any circumstances buy a digital PS1/PS2/PS3 game off their store to run in some emulatior. I would just pick the box from my bookshelf and insert it into any of the PS1/2/3/4 consoles that are permanantly hooked up in my game room.
Sony knows the likely majority of retro ps1/2/3 fans are like me. For sure, it is way more expensive to source games on ebay but
it is a cost that comes with the territory in retro land.

I read PS2 games on PSNow can be downloaded and played natively on PS4. Has anybody tried this?

Yes, you can. But the library is incredibly small - like 20 games or so. I think the games were retooled to natively run on PS4 with trophy support but Sony just abruptly stopped adding more games at one point - probably very poor sales.

I don't get Sony's thought process here as to why they don't include BC for PS1+PS2. It's obvious PS5 can do it and they could dump a metric ton of games on to the store and make free money off of them.

I can only surmise that their own market research and the aforementioned PS2 games that they added to PS4 not selling well has made them decide it's not worth the man hours to implement an emulator and test the PS1/PS2 games to add to the PS5. They haven't even bothered adding in any older PS3/2 games on PS Now for a long while as streaming options. Most people must not care or play them, because otherwise it seems like it would be a lot of free money Sony is missing out on.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I'm sure someone is outraged over this.

No, just turning my back on a Console manufacturer that I’ve supported since the 90s.

Think ps6 will have a PS4 BC mode, or that support will be limited in gen 10?

I’m all digital and I’ll go where my purchases last. Sorry I bought over 100 easily emulated ps1 games on PS3.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
Yes, you can. But the library is incredibly small - like 20 games or so. I think the games were retooled to natively run on PS4 with trophy support but Sony just abruptly stopped adding more games at one point - probably very poor sales.

They were not re-tooled. Sony actually has a patent on "adding trophies to old games".

It is surprisingly simple. In most cases you do something epic, like winning over a boss or completing a mission, this will trigger reading a new texture, accessing some sound file, playing a cut-scene.
What they do is that they look at what happens when you won the boss battle and discover "then the game will load and play the audio sample in block #12345 on the cdrom". Thus they give a list of block numbers and trophies to the emulator such like :

1, If the game loads sector #12345 then grant trophy "You defeated bob".
2, If the game loads sector #...

etc

It is surprisingly simple/clever and does not require any modifications of the game itself.

Mokus

This reply is just pure garbage. I hope he doesn't stay long as CEO.

Somewhat expected but still very disappointed. Having all PS home consoles in one box, on one HDMI cable will remain a dream for me. Most of the PlayStation 3 games could have benefited from a GPU bump since too often they are on the low 20 fps.

I read PS2 games on PSNow can be downloaded and played natively on PS4. Has anybody tried this?
You can't insert a PS2 disc into PSNow.

Last edited:
It really is amusing how much better the “$599 US dollars” PS3 looks every time Sony releases a new console.

I doubt we’ll ever see full hardware BC for all generations ever again.

Pallas

At the Very least they could bring the PS3 PSN’s store to the PS5. I mean it sucks if you gotta rebuy your old games but it’s better than nothing.

On the Xbox One you can buy the BC games digitally if you don’t have the disc, Sony should at least enable that, I mean it’s literally leaving money on the table.

I’m glad it’s official at least. I never saw this as an impediment, personally, as I have a PS3 that I can fall back on to play certain games.

It would have been nice though.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
If you've not moved on from that, or made arrangements to get a retro console for your little kink, that's on you.

Unless I played games on Xbox or PC, in which case, it's not..?

BC isn't a necessity at all, I still have a PS5 coming day one, but it's still a feature that would be really nice to have. I'm still going to have my PS3 under my TV this generation almost entirely because I have 40+ PS1 games attached to it that I pick up time to time.

Top Bottom