• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GAF Pen and Paper RPG Thread of Rolling Nothing But 20s!

LiveWire

OK, so we've got some interest in running a live (online) PnP RPG campaign featuring 4 or 5 players and 1 GM/DM.

UPDATED!

1. For the d20 system rules (which we'll be using for this first campaign), refer to http://www.d20srd.org/. You should create your character according to the rules listed there.

For fairness, I'd suggest we use the dice rolling server to ensure that the DM (Spooky) sees everyone's rolls were legit. http://www.irony.com/mailroll.html

2. Once you've created your character, post it at http://www.campaign-blog.com/ and post the link here to your character sheet so everyone can view it.

3. We'll be using Skype (www.skype.com) to communicate and actually roleplay the game as if we were in the same room. Skype is free to download and use.

4. We'll also be using GameTable to allow the DM to show various gameplay elements (maps, character locations, other essential pictures/nonverbal descriptions, etc.). The software is free and can be download at http://gametable.galactanet.com/.

Schedule of Gaming Sessions

First session is this Saturday, March 8th at 10AM Eastern time and will run for approx. 2 hours.

The DM (Dungeon Master--i.e., don't piss this guy off):

Spooky/DMSpooky

The PCs (Player Characters):

GAF Name/Skype Name/Character Name/Race/Class/Gender/

chapel/?????/Rothan/Dwarf/Cleric/Male

http://www.campaign-blog.com/view.php?id=7809

KittenMaster/kitten_master/Thalm Kuuz/Halfling/Wizard/Male

http://www.campaign-blog.com/view.php?id=7785

JayDubya/jaydubyadubya/Fieren Dromheld/Dwarf/Fighter/Female

http://www.campaign-blog.com/view.php?id=7798

LiveWire/livewiregaf/Aranel Ancalimë/Elf/Ranger/Male

http://www.campaign-blog.com/view.php?id=7857

JayDubya

Banned
Seems interesting, if expensive. Are there any lower cost alternatives?

If I did not think it would be exceedingly likely I would be paying for a similar program come this July (i.e. buying 4th Edition), this would not be a factor.

I will have to investigate this program a bit further. I need to learn about its limitations / level of flexibility.

LiveWire

JayDubya said:
Seems interesting, if expensive. Are there any lower cost alternatives?

If I did not think it would be exceedingly likely I would be paying for a similar program come this July (i.e. buying 4th Edition), this would not be a factor.

I will have to investigate this program a bit further. I need to learn about its limitations / level of flexibility.

Do you have a link to details on 4th Edition? Are they proposing the same thing we're discussing here?

JayDubya

Banned
LiveWire said:
Do you have a link to details on 4th Edition? Are they proposing the same thing we're discussing here?

Game Table? Yeah, it's got integrated voice chat and a full on map and all that.

D&D Insider will launch in June 2008 with the new Player’s Handbook, but is not required to play D&D 4th Edition; it simply provides extra options that you can unlock with the subscription. These digital tools are by no mean necessary to play the game, but are designed to facilitate some of the game’s aspects.

System Requirements

The D&D Insider client applications are developed for the PC platform. Two of the D&D Insider applications (the D&D Game Table and the D&D Character Creator, both demoed in their prototype versions at Gen Con) use a 3D engine based on DirectX.

Our recommended specs for the PC platform includes Windows XP SP2, 512MB RAM, AMD XP 2400 + or Intel P4 2.6Ghz, and a graphic card with 128 MB RAM and support of Shader 2.0. These recommended specs allow you to experience the full range of lighting and Shader effects our 3D engine offers.

There are at least two reasons why we chose the PC/DirectX route. The first one is related to market research indicating that PC users are a much larger user base than Mac users, and the second is the fact that we already had a DirectX-based 3D engine in-house, and there was no point reinventing something we already had available. The other applications will be designed for Windows, but will not rely on this 3D game engine so that they can be used on lower-end PC platforms. We have not yet established our minimum specifications at this time. We’ll post those as soon as they become available.

Because the other D&D Insider applications are not DirectX driven, they should also be usable on Mac computers using the dual boot system.

The Game Table

20071024a_drdd_2.jpg

A rough prototype of this DirectX 3D application was demoed in the first part of the D&D Insider teaser movie. The D&D Game Table is meant to be an online meeting space, allowing players that can’t gather together the means to play D&D. The overarching goal is to create an experience as close to the tabletop game experience as possible.

We are designing the D&D Game Table to be as flexible as we can make it, to accommodate even non-D&D games. The D&D Game Table will not adjudicate game rules any more than your kitchen table adjudicates rules for you. DMs and players decide what they can and can’t do. DMs and players can communicate their rules adjudication through voice interaction provided by the VOIP (Voice-Over Internet Protocol), the text chat window, and the DM's settings. We do plan to offer integrated functionalities from the VOIP to allow Dungeon Masters to manage their communications and channels with their players the way they want.

In the movie prototype, dice were shown rolling on the screen. There is a special connection between the gamers and their dice, and we all feel this connection is fully a part of the D&D experience. However, visible dice rolling is a feature that can be turned off. Random numbers can be generated without having to see the dice rolling, if that’s what you prefer. Lastly, DMs will be allowed to “fudge” dice rolls if they want to; players will not have this power, however.

The D&D Game Table allows DMs to decide for themselves how things will be done in their games. For example, some DMs allow players to draw on the game map, while others prefer to do so themselves. There is no "good" or "bad" approach to this; it will be handled by the DM’s settings. Another thing that DMs can set is the speed at which figures move on the game table. There’s the "slow" motion of the miniatures seen in the D&D Insider prototype movie, or the DM can speed things up so the miniatures are moving from location to location quickly.

The D&D Character Creator

20071024a_drdd_1.jpg

The Character Creator has two parts: the character visualizer and the character sheet. The character visualizer was demoed at Gen Con in its prototypical form, a DirectX 3D application that allows players to customize the visual aspect of their characters. Snapshots of portraits, full-screen wallpaper, and virtual miniatures of characters will also be made available to D&D Insider subscribers.

We want this tool to be as flexible as possible. Consequently, the 3D engine allows players to experiment with all sorts of tints, and lighting. They can personalize everything from a character’s build, face and pose, to the coloration and variations of their characters’ armor and weaponry.

The character sheet portion of the D&D Character Creator is a data-driven Windows rich client application designed to facilitate character sheet creation using the D&D 4th Edition rules. D&D Insider subscribers will be able to create characters using content from any published book. To get access to the full details of the relevant rules and mechanical elements, though, you will need to own the E-version of the physical book where these rules or mechanical elements were published. When you purchase the printed book, a code will grant access to the E-version of the book for a nominal fee. As a subscriber, ownership of the E-version gives you access, when you are online, to the rules content while you’re filling out or updating your character sheet. Without the E-version, however, the character sheet will give you only the barest information (such as the names of feats and such) and refer you to the appropriate published books.

The D&D Dungeon Builder

The Dungeon Builder will help create tactical maps for your games. This Windows rich client application is improving on the dungeon tile builder that is currently available for download on the D&D site. Using dungeon tiles or basic drawing tools, Dungeon Masters and players can create tactical maps that can be used on the D&D Game Table.

The D&D Encounter Builder

This application is designed for Dungeon Masters, and it allows them to build encounters quickly, and then link them together to form a ready-made adventure. The Encounter Builder uses a format that allows DMs to take their encounters and play them on the D&D Game Table. It has been mentioned in the Gen Con seminars that 4th Edition encounters are not necessarily combat encounters, but also social encounters and other type of challenges; the Encounter Builder will enable DMs to create these as well. Like the character sheet, the detailed stat blocks of the monsters will be available online, for the owners of the E-version of the book where the specific monster was published.

Character Vaults

This part of D&D Insider lives online. The Character Vault is the place where you store your characters (both visual images and character sheets) so that they can be used in the D&D Game Table. The number of characters you can store will be finite, and we are still working on the exact details of that storage space. As a player, you will also be able to present your vault of characters to the world, and publishing a journal of your adventures (via tools like blogs). You can make your character files accessible so that other players can use them in their own D&D Insider applications suite, assuming you allow this.

Some of the Character Vault’s functionalities, such as blogging, are tools that the Gleemax infrastructure provides to anyone with an account, even if they have not subscribed to D&D Insider.

Campaign Vaults

Like the Character Vault, this part of D&D Insider lives online. As a DM, you will be able to store your encounters and maps, so that they can be loaded in the D&D Game Table. You will also be able to showcase your campaigns, keep track of what is going on there, present background information to selected friends (your gaming buddies certainly, but you will be free to expand or restrict viewing as you see fit). You will have access to tools such as campaign wikis, and can also upload information taken from the D&D Insider applications suite (the Dungeon Builder and the Encounter Builder, for example) for others to use, always with the ability to choose what you want others to see and have access to.

Some of the Campaign Vault’s functionalities are basic tools that the Gleemax infrastructure provides to anyone with an account, even if they are not D&D Insider subscribers.

The only problems I see are as follows: chiefly, I have no idea how much D&D Insider is going to cost. Also, no matter what it costs, it will not be supporting 3.5, which I do love, and I have no idea if I will love 4th edition, and won't know until I get it in my hands and read it for myself :lol . And finally, of course, whatever it costs, it will invariably cost more than something I pay a one-time fee for.

However, I also don't know much about Fantasy Grounds, namely, what settings does it support / how flexible is it? One major concern is that it's not going to be able to contain much more than the OGL content, so can players incorporate, say, Forgotten Realms and Eberron elements into their game through customization?

rSpooky

Tagged..leveling work to go home I will be back.

I do not mind buying the softw. .. prolly will get the DM kit anyway ( could proof usefull fo r later. my wife will just get a lite version) .

Concering cost there is another option...but I will not go into details..but it involves torrent files.

I did have the version 1 of this software btw and that was allready very good and highly customisable. More when I return..want to beat traffic

LiveWire

JayDubya said:
Game Table? Yeah, it's got integrated voice chat and a full on map and all that.

The only problems I see are as follows: chiefly, I have no idea how much D&D Insider is going to cost. Also, no matter what it costs, it will not be supporting 3.5, which I do love, and I have no idea if I will love 4th edition, and won't know until I get it in my hands and read it for myself :lol . And finally, of course, whatever it costs, it will invariably cost more than something I pay a one-time fee for.

However, I also don't know much about Fantasy Grounds, namely, what settings does it support / how flexible is it? One major concern is that it's not going to be able to contain much more than the OGL content, so can players incorporate, say, Forgotten Realms and Eberron elements into their game through customization?

Thanks for the info Jay, sounds awesome. You're right it will likely cost as much if not more than FantasyGrounds, and is stuck (or at least would seem to be) to 4th Edition only, which no one has seen yet.

From what I understand, FG is completely compatible with any number of rulesets and campaign content. The only catch is, you have to enter them in yourself. I think there are probably already users that have added the rulesets in and have created downloadable install files to do it automatically, I'm looking through the FG forums now. So basically, we could play D&D 3.5, 2nd (the system I started on :D) or D20 Modern, or Star Wars, or whatever.

Depending on how 4th Edition and Game Table gets fleshed out though, we may be looking at the solution to our problem. Will it really hit that June launch date, I wonder?

JayDubya

Banned
I don't know. I do know that I like Star Wars Saga Edition, and I do know that from looking at the changes to the races and classes and skill system, they're making similar changes.

Similar, but not identical. They definitely are coming from the same R&D, reaching different points of fruition.

Amazon has the release date @ June 6th for all 3 core books; Bill Slavicsek said they're just finishing up the typesetting on the PHB back in January.

The f-ing price point for D&D Insider and what goodies are going to be available w/o subscription is what I want to know about.

Also, 4th Edition WILL have an OGL, but not until the new year: Jan 1, 2009.

rSpooky

Back.
YEah the 4th edition insider stuff looks cool. but it will take awhile after release to really fall in place.
I am not sure yet I even want to bother.

But if you think of it $20,- until June is like 5 bucks a month ..not a very expensive investment.

ALso, I can tell you know that my wife likes DnD campaigns but not modern or Starwars. 2nd or 3rd edition makes no difference really we have played both.
Within DnD any campaign will do, we even played one where we ourselves were transported into the world of DnD.

rSpooky

Look at t his module:
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=50305&filters=0_2300_0
Savage Tales for Fantasy Grounds II: Zombie Run

Download Price: $5.00

In the vein of "Dawn of the Dead" (R) comes Zombie Run! Your band of heroes must venture across America in the wake of a zombie outbreak. Survival is the first order of business, and the weird people, places, and things you'll meet along the way aren't often going to help. Zombie Run includes detailed scrounging tables, a mini-campaign suitable for many nights' adventures, and an epic conclusion that should prove a real "blast" for the whole party! Zombie Run is a 42-page modern day adventure for Savage Worlds, converted to Fantasy Grounds II. Characters can start at Novice Rank or higher as decided by the GM. Zombie Run was written by Jonathan Pierson, and illustrated by Rico Pollard and Niklas Brandt!

just an example

rSpooky

and here is a good community site
http://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/showthread.php?t=135

they have tons of stuff

it will take some figuring out but it is all doable I think. However I would propose we start with the following:
1) simple characters /classes/races
2) 1 session adventures (not yet long lasting campaigns)
3) no nitpicking on rules ,we are all earning

As we get familiar with the Software,and mechanics of doing this online we can incorporate more complicated stuff

I would be willing to look into RPing with you guys. I will be monitoring this thread until you guys decide on what kind of RP client to use (hopefully it is free).

rSpooky

KittenMaster said:
I would be willing to look into RPing with you guys. I will be monitoring this thread until you guys decide on what kind of RP client to use (hopefully it is free).

Thats cool KM...
Even not free I still think 20$ is a cheap entry for something very useful and well thought out. I looked at some free stuff, but it just did not work that.

bengraven

I'm like Brokeback Mountain when it comes to roleplaying.

I always hated it and I knew it was frowned upon and biased against, but part of me, deep down inside, always wanted to learn it.

rSpooky said:
Thats cool KM...
Even not free I still think 20$ is a cheap entry for something very useful and well thought out. I looked at some free stuff, but it just did not work that.
Well, I live with my mom, and I am jobless, so being able to purchase things randomly is not an option.

rSpooky

hehe.. I remember those days..

Well perhaps good news then

Since we are all just starting out here and are not sure if it is even a success. we can use this
http://gametable.galactanet.com/
it is super simple .. but perhaps we can work with it and is it is a hit we can also consider spending $$ on better tools

EDIT : If we want to go with this one.. I will see what I can do on creating our first adventure..with maps n stuff
cool?

JayDubya

Banned
I would like to try a cheap option, yes. :) At least at first.

Edit: I like this, yes, I like it rather a lot. Combine this with some kind of "Teamspeak" and that's about all you'd really need.

JayDubya

Banned
KittenMaster said:
Alright, so what kind of system are we using? Is it something I can find documents for over the internet?

Well www.d20srd.org if we're doing normal D&D.

If we're doing Forgotten Realms or Eberron or anything specific, it would require some more specific books.

But you can do a lot with just the SRD. Before doing anything schmancy you'd want to chat up the DM. There's a lot online legally. I also can make scans of specific material if neccessary - I'm not going to torrent books or anything, but if I see a neat character class or feat or item or whatever, I can easily slap something on photobucket.

rSpooky

I'd say for now D20 -edition 3.5
I am also checking out maptool at the moment to see which is better.but in either case gametable is something I can work with. I need some time though to set it all up ..

I believe the idea of using skype for comms is a good one ( conference calling)but i never tried that. I only used is one on one so far. ( wiht my family in europe) and that works great

http://rptools.net/doku.php?id=maptool:intro

EDIT: nevermind gametable is simpler to start with LOL

Alright. Good. I don't really want to buy anything, heh, and I've already looked at D&D rules, so I've got a bit of start on familiarizing myself with the rules, and SRD is a good guide.

rSpooky

JayDubya said:
Well www.d20srd.org if we're doing normal D&D.

If we're doing Forgotten Realms or Eberron or anything specific, it would require some more specific books.

But you can do a lot with just the SRD. Before doing anything schmancy you'd want to chat up the DM. There's a lot online legally. I also can make scans of specific material if neccessary - I'm not going to torrent books or anything, but if I see a neat character class or feat or item or whatever, I can easily slap something on photobucket.

Nice website..thx for that.

As I mentioned earlier.. lets start simple basic classes nothing fancy smanchy

so pick : human, elf, half elf, dwarf, half orc, gnome, halfling for race
and : cleric, paladin, rouge, fighter, barbarian, wizard, bard ,druid,sorcerer or monk

JayDubya

Banned
If you want to DM, Spooky, then sure, I'll try this as a player.

Just let us know what to do for character creation and what's on the table vs. what's not.

I.e. FR stuff, Eberron stuff, the Complete series (Adventurer, Arcane, Warrior), Races of (Stone, Wild), Psionics, etc - and incidentally, almost all the psionics stuff is available in the System Reference Document I just linked.

And then there's the matter of rolling stats vs. point buy, and what level, and all that jazz.

I can have a sample character made quickly easy as pie and use it as a template to show the less experienced players how to do it as well.

Also, Irony Games has an online dice roller tool that e-mails rolls to the DM: http://www.irony.com/mailroll.html

That sort of thing is what a lot of Play-By-Post RPG games do on messageboards.

rSpooky

hehe I prefer being a player lol..
but was not sure if anyone else really wanted to DM.
thats kinda why I started moving forward with it , rather then everyone watching and waiting lol

again I prefer being a player..but I can DM.. .

but I still suggest the KISS method until we have all the mechanics down.

just say the word on who is DM.. if it is me I will see if I can find one of my old adventures and convert it to the online tool

The gametable soft, comes with a die macro.. so unless u need private roles... we could use that as a supplement tool I guess.

bengraven

Seriously, this kind of shit gets me hard, I just never had the balls to learn to play. I sometimes sit in the D n' D section at Books-A-Million and just drool a bit.

I would love to be a GM and create my own world...*sighs*

JayDubya

Banned
rSpooky said:
hehe I prefer being a player lol..
but was not sure if anyone else really wanted to DM.
thats kinda why I started moving forward with it , rather then everyone watching and waiting lol

again I prefer being a player..but I can DM.. .

but I still suggest the KISS method until we have all the mechanics down.

just say the word on who is DM.. if it is me I will see if I can find one of my old adventures and convert it to the online tool

The gametable soft, comes with a die macro.. so unless u need private roles... we could use that as a supplement tool I guess.

I don't mind either way. I don't really have a preference. I don't really understand this thingie quite yet, though I'm not sure any of us do :lol . One limitation I'm aware of immediately is that the pogs only come in circles and I don't quite understand what the underlays do, particularly the ones that just seem to color the squares red.

However, given there's a line tool and a pen tool and an infinite grid, I can easily simulate a battle map, and that's handy. My god, based on the scale you could run a massive war on this thing. :D

Ah, and on that note, there's another limitation, I see no way for the Host / DM to restrict information from the players, so he'd have to draw everything as he goes. But then, that's kind of okay, because you have the same problem with a typical battlemat, unless you cover it up with paper.

In any event, let's get moving on this. :)

http://www.campaign-blog.com/index.php

Here's someplace all the players can register at and store and share character sheets. Which is a must.

Sample character done: http://www.campaign-blog.com/view.php?id=7783;
This is, more or less, one of my favorite old characters reduced to L1.

rSpooky

JayDubya said:
the pogs only come in circles and I don't quite understand what the underlays do, particularly the ones that just seem to color the squares red.

you can make your own pogs ...as long as they are in png format
then you can scale them to different square sizes or make sure they are the correct size to begin with.
Just take any illustration (and here, Internet should enable you to find all you can imagine), insert it within a pretty round frame (it is not essential, but it is prettier) and reduce it (to 64 pixels for a character occupying one square, 128 pixels for a 2 square monster, and so on).

The underlays can be used to build maps, but you can also save maps as png's ..pu them in the underlays folder and then pull them onto your grid
(make sure they are the right size so the squares match.

JayDubya

Banned
Well, for example, a horse has a face of: 5' x 10'; that's two squares long, one square wide. I'm not sure how to make a pog with those dimensions, though I will try.

Let's try this for now, if you want to play, make a sample character using www.d20srd.com as a reference and http://www.campaign-blog.com/ to post it.

Also, if you can make a GAF avatar, you can make an image for your character sheet. They give you a lot more room than a GAF avatar, to boot.

It's simple enough.

For stats, use the standard 25 point buy, just like in good ol' Neverwinter Nights, where:

An 8 costs 0 points, a 9 costs 1 point, and so on, 10=2, 11=3, 12=4, 13=5, 14=6, and then things get more expensive:
15=8, 16=10, 17=13, 18=16

8 being the worst (-1 to that stat) and 18 being the best (+4 to that stat); be sure to count this BEFORE you apply any racial modifiers.

25 points is the baseline. Whomever ultimately DMs can raise or lower that, but start from there.

To avoid rolling, I'd say take the maximum amount of starting gold for your class, so...
Fighter, Paladin, Ranger: 240 gp
Cleric, Rogue: 200 gp
Barbarian, Bard: 160 gp
Sorcerer, Wizard: 120 gp
Druid: 80 gp
Monk: 20 gp

Since I am unsure of my character's personality at the moment, would it be alright for his alignment to start out neutral, then change to something else later when his alignment seems more certain?

JayDubya

Banned
KittenMaster said:
Since I am unsure of my character's personality at the moment, would it be alright for his alignment to start out neutral, then change to something else later when his alignment seems more certain?

Well, alignment can shift, which means it's usually completely up to the player; the DM may suggest that a player's actions are leaning a given way; the only time it may truly matter is with severe or very long-term actions that are incongruous with a class with alignment restrictions, such as Barbarian, Monk, Bard, or Paladin.

Neutral, "Undecided"

A neutral character does what seems to be a good idea. She doesn’t feel strongly one way or the other when it comes to good vs. evil or law vs. chaos. Most neutral characters exhibit a lack of conviction or bias rather than a commitment to neutrality. Such a character thinks of good as better than evil—after all, she would rather have good neighbors and rulers than evil ones. Still, she’s not personally committed to upholding good in any abstract or universal way.

Some neutral characters, on the other hand, commit themselves philosophically to neutrality. They see good, evil, law, and chaos as prejudices and dangerous extremes. They advocate the middle way of neutrality as the best, most balanced road in the long run.

Neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you act naturally, without prejudice or compulsion.

But those are just suggestions.

Really, the only drastic intraparty alignment problems are when one player wants to be a Paladin and the other wants to be a thieving, murdering bastard of some other class. :lol

I can't seem to figure out how to get my HP. I am a halfling Wizard, and the closest info I've found is "Hit Die = d4".

I need to go to bed. I'll receive the answer tomorrow.

JayDubya

Banned
KittenMaster said:
I can't seem to figure out how to get my HP. I am a halfling Wizard, and the closest info I've found is "Hit Die = d4".

I need to go to bed. I'll receive the answer tomorrow.

At first level, you get maximum hit points.

So 4 + your Con modifier.

Let's say you had a Con of 14. The modifier for a 14 is a +2 (+1 for every 2 points above 10). So you would have 6 HP at level 1. Every other level, you'd roll a d4 and add 2.

LiveWire

Hey Jay, Spooky, I'm in of course. I'm out of town this weekend but back on Monday. If I get a chance before I leave I'll try to create a character. Spooky, if you wanna DM the first one session adventure, I'll volunteer to do the 2nd.

Before I leave I'll also update the initial post with all of the steps you guys listed, so everyone can follow along.

Looks like we have 4 PCs for this first session (which Spooky will DM?):

JayDubya
LiveWire
bengraven
KittenMaster

Let's set a date of getting all characters rolled (including mailing rolls to Spooky) by next Monday, March 3rd.

chapel

Banned
I would really love to play with you guys, though I am moving this weekend, and not sure when Im getting internet again. I could have a character made by monday, and if the game was done on a weekend, like the 9th or 10th, then I could play.

I have experience with 2, 3.5, and other various ones from hero to shadowrun.

Let me know if I can be a PC. :)

rSpooky

One more thing , I really prefer RP over combat... I'd say at least 60%:40%.
Just so you are aware. :D

CHapel.. I have no beef with that..just drop in when you have connection again.

By the way, dude..... you look alot like an old friend of mine ( just with less hair on top) please tell me your name is'nt Jesse. :p

chapel

Banned
rSpooky said:
One more thing , I really prefer RP over combat... I'd say at least 60%:40%.
Just so you are aware. :D

CHapel.. I have no beef with that..just drop in when you have connection again.

By the way, dude..... you look alot like an old friend of mine ( just with less hair on top) please tell me your name is'nt Jesse. :p
Nope, I get that a lot though, must have a familiar face.

I like rp and combat, I think the biggest thing is meshing well with the group. As long as we are having fun, thats really what matters.

I don't think Im that great at RP, but I have no issues doing it. Not afraid to sound like a fool. :D

rSpooky

LOL

Well..you do not have to make silly voices :p I won't go that far..but it does require some effort to keep player knowledge from character knowledge.

JayDubya

Banned
KittenMaster said:
I notice I already have a list of feats on my character sheet. Are these the maximum number of feats I can have?

As a halfling Wizard, you'd get to pick one feat + Scribe Scroll @ L1.

All characters get a feat @ L1, L3, L6, L9, L12, L15, L18.

Wizards get Scribe Scroll @ L1, and they get Bonus feats (metamagic feat, an item creation feat, or Spell Mastery) @ L5, L10, L15, L20.

Okay, I guess I'll try this first time as a player, and I'll make a few sample characters.

Like I said, let us know exactly what point-buy you want, or you'd prefer us to roll the stats (Irony Games, or whatever). And of course, people could roll for gold too, or they could just take the average instead of the max, like I suggested above.

rSpooky

JayDubya said:
As a halfling Wizard, you'd get to pick one feat + Scribe Scroll @ L1.

All characters get a feat @ L1, L3, L6, L9, L12, L15, L18.

Wizards get Scribe Scroll @ L1, and they get Bonus feats (metamagic feat, an item creation feat, or Spell Mastery) @ L5, L10, L15, L20.

Okay, I guess I'll try this first time as a player, and I'll make a few sample characters.

Like I said, let us know exactly what point-buy you want, or you'd prefer us to roll the stats (Irony Games, or whatever). And of course, people could roll for gold too, or they could just take the average instead of the max, like I suggested above.
I think your gold averages are fine.
I would say roll but not sure everyone has dice so i can live with your points system to start with. also.

Basic kit you get free ( outfit, backpack, sleep roll, 5 days rations, flint an steel, hemp rope, soap, water sack) Also think of 1 item that has a history with your character and how it relays to his or her origins. Then I will let you know what special attribute it will have.
Now I am not to good with all the numbers so Jaydubya do you mind checking peoples players sheets for accuracy?

JayDubya

Banned
rSpooky said:
I think your gold averages are fine.
I would say roll but not sure everyone has dice so i can live with your points system to start with. also.

Basic kit you get free ( outfit, backpack, sleep roll, 5 days rations, flint an steel, hemp rope, soap, water sack) Also think of 1 item that has a history with your character and how it relays to his or her origins. Then I will let you know what special attribute it will have.

72783-infinity-gauntlet_150.jpg
?

=P

Now I am not to good with all the numbers so Jaydubya do you mind checking peoples players sheets for accuracy?

Editing character sheets + an eye for all the math and numbers element are actually something I'm rather good at. If anyone needs any help making a character, I'll gladly help out.

As for the rolling stats thing, since we're not all sitting around a table, even a Java one, we'd either need to use some kind of honor system :)lol no, just no, never works :lol) or use Irony Games' dice server (you'd have to PM us your e-mail address).

I tend to like higher stats, and you generally get higher stats through rolling, but point buy puts everyone on the same playing field. 25 points sometimes feels a bit too few, but it is supposedly the standard (one I've never seen used outside a videogame, incidentally :lol).

Nevertheless, until you tell me otherwise, I'll go on a 25 point buy and keep building my character.

If you're inexperienced in building characters this website can be a godsend...
http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm
... but it's not perfect and you still need to check some of the math and sometimes it'll tell you that you don't meet the prereqs when you do; the guy's generally great about ironing out the bugs, but he also keeps adding new features, so... :D

Top Bottom