• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS4: Kojima says "50GB BD Not Enough For MGS4"

ZeroTolerance

http://n4g.com/tech/NewsPending-117932.aspx

hai giys:

In an exclusive interview with Hideo Kojima, the creator of Metal Gear Solid series, has made complains about 50GB BD not been sufficient. The Metal Gear Solid producer considers the Blu Ray disc too small and that they had to make compromises in order to put the game on the 50GB BD. According to Hideo, the programmers had to compress some parts of the game game to save space.

Kojima : I am not satisfied with the quality yet, however...there isn't enough space.

Interviewer: Not enough space..on..Blu-ray..?

Kojima: Yes.(laughs). Not enough space.

Anyone can help with the translation, google did it's part.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Didn't Kojima say this... like a year ago?

ZeroTolerance

Brandon F said:
Quick someone post the 360 MGS4 megabox pic!

dvdmgs4s.jpg

This ?

StuBurns

Banned
He wants triple layer Blu-Ray then? There is no such thing. The idea of developers already burning threw 50gb is scary.

batbeg

Sweet Mary mother of Jesus this guy needs to show some restraint :lol That's insane if it's really true.

NolbertoS

I'll post this b4 anybody has any bright idea to derail the thread "Xbox360 am NOT confirmed"..Sorry 360 fans, either shell out on a PS3 or you'll miss out. Regarding the thread, that's insane, not even 50GB is enough for Kojima, should've released MGS4 on 2 BD discs than.

Chemo

stuburns said:
He wants triple layer Blu-Ray then? There is no such thing. The idea of developers already burning threw 50gb is scary.
And by scary you mean awesome? Because that's why it's fucking there.

Narag

Wollan said:
My ears will cum. My eyes tear.

Edit: I guess this means they will unlock the 200GB BD limit for PS4.

Or 2nd BD that's an install disc to accompany the game disc.

StuBurns

Banned
Chemo said:
And by scary you mean awesome? Because that's why it's fucking there.
Yeah but doesn't it worry you that a $600-400 console is already basically out of date? If Kojima-san is compromising MGS4 because of the PS3 limitations how long can you see the console lasting?

Himuro said:
MGS3 took me 30 hours the first time.
Whoa that is surprising, it took me about 8 to 10 first run if I remember right. Had you played MGS2?

soultron

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Thats only THE FIRST DISC of the PS3 version!!!!
The fictionalolol box wouldn't even be that nice. We'd get a bunch of DVDs in sleeves bundled up with an elastic. ):

n1n9tean

Banned
stuburns said:
I don'tknow about triple; but, I do know that BD company successfully tested either a 4-layer (100GB) or 8-layer disc (200GB) a long time ago. I don't remember which size but I remember keeping up with all the news back then. I'm actually thinking it was the 8-layer. I need to look this up again.

Ashhong said:
oh man, gaf will explode if reports come out of someone finishing the game in about 10 maybe 15 hours.

Well not unless people realize that size has nothing to do with how long a game will be.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ashhong said:
oh man, gaf will explode if reports come out of someone finishing the game in about 10 maybe 15 hours.
The game will have 10-15 hours just CODEC.

We don't know for sure he's talking about BD50 though. It could be BD25.

And this very believable, specially if you take into account all the voice acting in MGS games.

ZeroTolerance said:
This is a new interview. He says, he is till not satisfied with the quality yet. But compromises had to be made because of the disc space.
Yeah I guess we didn't know he had to make compromises but we had known that MGS4 would be on a 50GB BD-R for a while. I am guessing that with HD FMVs of MGS's length on top of those massive audio files the game was always destined to be too big even for a dual-layered Blu-ray disc.

stuburns said:
You'll be lucky for 8 hours.
Right. Even though it's the "last" MG game huh? MGS4 and FF13 along with some others have long been confirmed to use 50GB discs. They are pushing a lot of content, not just audio.

Formless said:
You're playing MGS games on something below Hard, aren't you
Even on normal, I think I spent 20 or 25 hours my first time through Snake Eater. Maybe 17 or 18 in the very least. Obviously I took my time and didn't hestitate to mess around in various combat or encounters areas, but it was what I felt the gameplay naturally made me incline to enjoy.

StuBurns

Banned
Formless said:
You're playing MGS games on something below Hard, aren't you

I've done them all on pretty much everything.
None of them take longer then 6 hours on european extreme if you play fairly fast paced. I can't see MGS4 being any different.

stuburns said:
Yeah but doesn't it worry you that a $600-400 console is already basically out of date? If Kojima-san is compromising MGS4 because of the PS3 limitations how long can you see the console lasting?

Whoa that is surprising, it took me about 8 to 10 first run if I remember right. Had you played MGS2?
So if that makes the PS3 out of date, what about the other two competitors? :lol

-Rogue5-

Sweet glory. From what I've played the sound is exceptional. Does anyone know what exactly they're going for in the audio department? 7.1 uncompressed or something?

Top Bottom