• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real Men Use Items -- Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament Thread

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The SIGN UP thread has been started. Go check it out: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10224259

Hey folks -- I've update this! Aren't you EXCITED?

315fv5u.jpg

Interested in a Super Smash Bros. Brawl Items tournament?

Thanks to plenty of interest expressed by GAFfers, I'm ready to schedule a "standard" Brawl tournament for the end of the month (some point between Monday, March 24th and Monday, March 31sth) ... basically, the week after Firestorm's "No Items" tournament.

This tournament will consist of matches using a variety of commonly accepted modes, including items. This should favor the well rounded Brawl player. Possible matches could include: four player w/ items (top two progress), 1 on 1 w/ items, stock, timed, timed stock, and even (potentially) a "No Item" match. The majority of the tournament will feature items and stock matches.

Stages will be randomly selected by me. Characters are your choice. No standard game options are currently "banned" -- so be prepared to do just as well on Hyrule Temple as you do on Final Destination, as you won't know where you might be asked to battle.

If anyone wishes to donate a prize, feel free. I'm looking into getting something for the victor.

Suggestions, comments, death threats, etc. can be posted here.

Many thanks and I hope to see you all on the field of battle!

The SIGN UP thread has been started. Go check it out: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10224259

Firestorm

I'm in, but getting the entire tournament to happen that weekend would be quite hard I think.

My plan for the Nate is a Woman tournament was Sign ups until March 22nd, start March 23rd. 72 hours to complete each round. Sort of like the first Pokemon Tournament

DDayton

Firestorm said:
I'm in, but getting the entire tournament to happen that weekend would be quite hard I think.

My plan for the Nate is a Woman tournament was Sign ups until March 22nd, start March 23rd. 72 hours to complete each round. Sort of like the first Pokemon Tournament

Good point... but, eh, this is just an interest thread. I mean, the "Real Men Use Items - The Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament for REAL GAMERS Who AREN'T CRYBABY WIMPS" isn't necessarily tied to that weekend. Once the game comes out and I get an idea of the number of interested parties, I'll figure out the date, times, etc..

(Perhaps I should make a trophy -- a large Bob-Omb statuette...)

DDayton

I have some ideas that you guys might like for the tournament set up... I'll go into more detail later, when I actually start the tournament thread and plot out matches. At the moment, all I'll say is that the winner should be someone who can dominate in any Smash Bros. match, regardless of the rules or settings.

Teknoman

Me! Removal of items (or at least a large deal of the non-1 hit ko items) takes abit of the soul out of the game. It's like removing boxes and barrels from Power Stone.

sruckus

As someone who never played a SSB game before but is planning on buying Brawl, what exactly is an item tournament? I'm definitely interested in joining although I can't start till 13th onward and as a pre-warning, I'll suck horribly I'm sure.

zoku88

xcrunner529 said:
As someone who never played a SSB game before but is planning on buying Brawl, what exactly is an item tournament? I'm definitely interested in joining although I can't start till 13th onward and as a pre-warning, I'll suck horribly I'm sure.
A lot of tournaments don't allow items to be used. I'm guessing an item tourney is one where you are allowed to use items.

DDayton

xcrunner529 said:
zoku88 said:
A lot of tournaments don't allow items to be used. I'm guessing an item tourney is one where you are allowed to use items.

Exactly. It's a tournament for those who enjoy playing Smash Bros. the way it was meant to be played -- with items.

sruckus

for someone who was in love with poy poy, is this game at all similar? It seems like it to be which is what makes me so interested in it. Ahh well even if its not, I'm so in for this tournament.

Teknoman

xcrunner529 said:
for someone who was in love with poy poy, is this game at all similar? It seems like it to be which is what makes me so interested in it. Ahh well even if its not, I'm so in for this tournament.

Watch some videos of any Smash Bros series game or Jump Superstars/Ultimate stars to get the general idea (im not sure what poy poy is).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm interested. I need to get better. I haven't played Melee since I last unlocked everything when it first came out.

I'm in. With my local friends, it's fun to play against them with no-items but it'd be great to play 'Mario Party' style with the rest of you guys.

sruckus

Although I should note, b/c I have no idea what you had in mind for the length...I'll only be playing brawl during my spring break (next thurs. till the 23rd or so), so if its longer then that I guess I can't do it unless there's some replacement policy or something :(

Teknoman

Also think we can organize themed tournaments later?
Say "Galactic Brawl": All space /sci-fi'ish characters (Fox, Falco, Wolf, Samus, Kirby, Meta Knight, Captain Falcon) only (duplicates allowed) and space/aerial themed stages only (Armada, Cornerian Cruise, Brinstar Depths,etc.) same for items.

Or Mascot Mayhem cartoonish characters only(Mario, Sonic, Kirby, Luigi, Toon Link, Pikachu, J.Puff, Wario, etc). Just tossing some ideas out there.

TJ Spyke

Count me in. Firestorm is well aware of how I feel about items being used (in short, I am against any kind of restriction on items or levels. They should all be fair game).

I feel the same way you you do David (BTW, anyone interested in Mario should check out the site he works for: Themushroomkingdom.net). Smash Bros. is meant to be played with items, they have always been pushed as a main part of the series and I feel that the top Smash player is one who can win regardless of what the game throws at them (sorta like poker, which combines skill and luck).

Teknoman

Firestorm said:
Yeah, what the hell guys. I hope you're all just joking and not really this obnoxious >_>;;

Eh i'll still play with limited items (as indicated with my other post) but sometimes its just fun to have an all out brawl free for all.

YakiSOBA

I'm in, and i would recommend if someone has time to set up a ladder system instead! :) we could do item-matches all year long and keep track :D

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I'm totally IN, I want to brawl all my fellow GAFFers :)

One thing I will say about the "For/Against Items Debate Of Doom"... everyone should probably invest a few hours into the game before they take a side on the debate. The items in Brawl are MUCH more devastating than they were in Melee, so if you're a Pro-Items person you better be prepared to hold your tongue when you suffer a "cheap" death. (Because you will. Many of them)

This post is not for or against items, it is merely predicting that many people who chose a specific side of the debate over the last few months are probably going to end up actually switching sides after playing the game for more than a when all the shiny new features have become familiar :)

Top Bottom