• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WayForwards announced LIT for WiiWare

Valencia, Calif. – (March 5, 2008) — Independent game developer WayForward Technologies announced today that its forthcoming game LIT will make its debut exclusively on Nintendo's upcoming download service, WiiWare. LIT utilizes the unique features of the Wii to bring a tense and unnerving adventure to the Nintendo Wii audience.

"This is the first time in recent memory that our team has felt the freedom to begin experimenting on consoles outside the confines of established IP, budget, or publisher dictates," said John Beck, CEO of WayForward Technologies. "The scope and business model for WiiWare really make this possible."

LIT is a 3D horror puzzler set in a dark high school overrun by creatures. The game follows Jake, a below-average student and the game's protagonist, as he makes his way through each classroom, utilizing what light he can find to create safe paths across the darkness. Jake's objectives are to escape his school and reconnect with his girlfriend, Rachael, who uses the school's phones to keep in contact with him. LIT combines environmental puzzling with horror combat and boss battles to create a uniquely unsettling Nintendo Wii experience.

"It's incredibly exciting to be working on an original game for the WiiWare platform," said Adam Tierny, director of LIT. "After settling on the concept of light vs. shadows, a horror theme seemed to make sense. The team working on LIT had also recently finished a creepy demo for the Nintendo DS that I think whetted everyone's horror appetite. We decided to make it an action-puzzler because of how infrequently horror and puzzling gets combined in games, and to squeeze out the greatest amount of gameplay possible from a limited file size."

LIT is WayForward's first internally-developed property since the hair-whipping, belly-dancing Shantae was released by Capcom on the Game Boy Color in 2002. LIT currently does not have a release date or price point.

Nice one, and we got some artworks ! It gained my interest even I was hoping a Shantae announce !

0000119875.jpg

0000119880.jpg

0000119881.jpg

And a little more there...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Talladega Knight said:
Is this the title Bozon and Matt were working on?

No- I think Bozon is helping on it though.

batbeg

Yet another title that has me more interested in it than a retail Wii game :D Sounds incredible, and has an awesome artstyle behind it. I wonder what kind of actual graphic presentation it'll use, hm... Anyway, puzzles are awesome, horror is awesome... I'm looking forward to it a lot :D :D :D

Awesomeness. Will buy Day 1.

Really love the artstyle too. (Who says western dev = Bad art?!)

(Now announce Shantae Wiiware/PSN/XBL/DS/GBA/Gizmondo/N-Taco/YourMom already!)

Teknoman

0000119875.jpg

Almost as freaky as those ReDeads. Nice. Though after seeing this I want Wayforward to make a wii-sclusive survival horror game in a school.

Guy reminds me of Soma Cruz.

So LostWinds, FFCC Life as a King, Defend Your Castle, new Telltale series, Star Soldier R, World of Goo, and now this? WowWare confirmed.

I'm really surprised how quickly WiiWare has turned from "lol overpriced VC games means lol crappy XBLA lite crap" to "zomgmustbuy".

Haunted

TTOB on suicide watch. Looks interesting, though.

BrodiemanTTR said:
So LostWinds, FFCC Life as a King, Defend Your Castle, new Telltale series, Star Soldier R, World of Goo, and now this? WowWare confirmed.
A meme is born.

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm really surprised how quickly WiiWare has turned from "lol overpriced VC games means lol crappy XBLA lite crap" to "zomgmustbuy".

When you think about it, it isn't all that surprising.
Lots of developers have good ideas for the Wii, the problem is getting them out there. Lack of willing publishers and funding is a huge set back.
WiiWare helps to solve that, though.

ivysaur12

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

It's true. I think I'm more interested in WiiWare games now than retail games for the console.

MoogPaul

In all seriousness, I like the style, but I've never met a jackass big enough to wear the same design on a hoodie and a tee-shirt at the same time. This is a first for me

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Dragona Akehi said:

I am surprised as well. When I first read about it, I thought it would be a place for all of those crappy shovel-ware games could go for cheap distrobution. Now with games like LW, the new FFCC as well as LIT, I am getting pretty excited for this new line of games. Devs are excited as well b/c they no longer need a publisher.

I'm not expecting every game to be awesome, in fact I am expecting quite the opposite. However, if one intruiging title a month can make it through, that will be more than enough and will greatly help the wii during drought months.

MoogPaul said:
In all seriousness, I like the style, but I've never met a jackass big enough to wear the same design on a hoodie and a tee-shirt at the same time. This is a first for me

Video Game clothing designs rarely make sense...
Belts and zippers, for instance.

AceBandage said:
When you think about it, it isn't all that surprising.
Lots of developers have good ideas for the Wii, the problem is getting them out there. Lack of willing publishers and funding is a huge set back.
WiiWare helps to solve that, though.

I never thought about that angle. It's possible that good sales of games like this on WiiWare could lead publishers to believe that maybe the Wii audience is capable of buying more than just waggle ports and mini-game collections. Sign me up!

Dragona Akehi said:
The other surprising thing is that MS is positioning XBLA as it's casual killer app whereas an equivalent Wii service seems like it is attracting primarily the hardcore, especially with the retro revival with the VC.

TJ Spyke

Dragona Akehi said:

WiiWare was never about that. WiiWare and Virtual Console have always been 2 separate parts of the Wii Shop Channel, with VC games being older games and WiiWare for being new games (unless you are referring to the updated version of Dr. Mario).

batbeg

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Sounds like a modification of the idea. I'm actually disappointed WayForward isn't just doing a 2D sidescroller like Shantae or Contra.

I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with Matt and Bozon's game, as they were discussing both of these in a single podcast a while ago... as separate entities.

Syckx

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Sounds like a modification of the idea. I'm actually disappointed WayForward isn't just doing a 2D sidescroller like Shantae or Contra.

Has nothing to do with that game, though Mark Bozon has done some work on this.

Syckx said:
Has nothing to do with that game, though Mark Bozon has done some work on this.
I listened to the podcast where they talked about the game. It sounds like the exact same concept except they changed the setting from a sky scraper to a school and gave the protagonist a different motivation. Well, that and the whole giant monster teddy bear thing. Still, the light/dark mechanic sounds strikingly similar, and with the Bozon connection it's hard to believe that those similarities are purely coincidental.

Top Bottom