• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DTS-HD Master Audio(TM) Now Available for PLAYSTATION(R)3 Computer Entertainment

Just popped up on my Reuters.

Don't kill me if it's not newsworthy.. just thought PS3 owning audiophiles would like to know.

DTS-HD Master Audio(TM) Now Available for PLAYSTATION(R)3 Computer Entertainment System

Advanced Codec Raises Bar for High Definition Entertainment

More Than One Hundred Blu-ray Movies / Concert Videos Featuring Premium DTS-HD Master Audio(TM) Soundtracks Available

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. (Business Wire)

DTS, Inc., a digital audio technology company dedicated to delivering the ultimate entertainment experience, has announced that its DTS-HD Master Audio(TM) technology is now available for the PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) computer entertainment system. DTS-HD Master Audio is capable of delivering audio that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master at super high variable bit rates (up to 24.5 Mbps on Blu-ray(TM) Discs). This bit stream is so fast and the transfer rate so high that it can deliver 7.1 audio channel,
96k/24-bit sound identical to the original studio master. DTS' single-bit-stream codec design enables supremely efficient content programming and consumer playback. The new PS3 with DTS-HD Master Audio will be available by simply downloading the upcoming firmware upgrade on April 15th, 2008.

"We are extremely pleased that Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) is adding the full spectrum premium DTS-HD Master Audio codec into the PS3 so that more than 10 million owners of one of the best selling computer entertainment systems can have the best sounding, most efficient and flexible audio technology available as well," said Brian
Towne, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Consumer Division at DTS. "DTS-HD Master Audio is fast becoming the must-have feature for high definition entertainment enthusiasts."

"PS3 was designed to enable delivery of new and improved technologies like DTS-HD Master Audio," said Teiji Yutaka, Senior Vice President, Software Platform Development, SCE. "So we are delighted to be able to offer this capability to PS3 users."

About DTS

DTS, Inc. is a digital technology company dedicated to delivering the ultimate entertainment experience. DTS decoders are in virtually every major brand of 5.1-channel surround processor, and there are hundreds of millions of DTS-licensed consumer electronics products available worldwide. A pioneer in multi-channel audio, DTS
technology is in home theatre, car audio, PC and game console products, as well as DVD-Video, Blu-ray Disc and Surround Music software. DTS audio products are featured on more than 27,000 motion picture screens worldwide. Additionally, DTS provides imaging
technology and services for the motion picture industry; DTS Digital Images, formerly Lowry Digital Images, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of DTS and an industry leader in image restoration and enhancement. Founded in 1993, DTS is headquartered in Agoura Hills, California and has offices in the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Italy, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan and China. For further information, please visit www.dts.com. DTS is a registered trademark of DTS, Inc.

"PLAYSTATION" is a registered trademark, and "PS3" is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 that involve risks, uncertainties, assumptions and other factors which, if they do not materialize or prove correct, could cause DTS' results to differ materially from historical results or those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. All statements, other than statements of historical fact, are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including statements containing the words "planned," "expects," "believes," "strategy," "opportunity,"
"anticipates" and similar words. These statements may include, among others, plans, strategies and objectives of management for future operations; any statements regarding proposed new products, services or developments; any statements regarding future economic conditions or financial or operating performance; statements of belief and any
statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. The potential risks and uncertainties that could cause actual growth and results to differ materially include, but are not limited to, the timing, costs and attention attendant to the divesture of the
non-consumer business, the transition to the next generation optical drives and consumer adoption of such technology, the rapidly changing and competitive nature of the digital audio, consumer electronics and entertainment markets, the Company's inclusion in or exclusion from governmental and industry standards, customer acceptance of the Company's technology, products, services and pricing, risks related to ownership and enforcement of intellectual property, the continued release and availability of entertainment content containing DTS audio soundtracks, changes in domestic and international market and political conditions, risks related to integrating acquisitions and
other risks and uncertainties more fully described in DTS' public filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, available at www.sec.gov. DTS does not intend to update any forward-looking statement to reflect events or circumstances arising after the date on which it was made.

e5 Marketing, Inc.
Mark Smotroff
415-332-0718
smotroff@pacbell.net

Copyright Business Wire 2008

EDIT: Edited for layout.

tahrikmili said:
Just popped up on my Reuters.

Don't kill me if it's not newsworthy.. just thought PS3 owning videophiles would like to know.

I'll edit the quote for better formating when I have time.

Don't you mean audiophiles?

Tntnnbltn

For nice reading...
DTS, Inc., a digital audio technology company dedicated to delivering the ultimate entertainment experience, has announced that its DTS-HD Master Audio technology is now available for the PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system.

DTS-HD Master Audio is capable of delivering audio that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master at super high variable bit rates (up to 24.5 Mbps on Blu-ray Discs). This bit stream is so fast and the transfer rate so high that it can deliver 7.1 audio channel, 96k/24-bit sound identical to the original studio master. DTS' single-bit-stream codec design enables supremely efficient content programming and consumer playback. The new PS3 with DTS-HD Master Audio will be available by simply downloading the upcoming firmware upgrade on April 15th, 2008.

"We are extremely pleased that Sony Computer Entertainment is adding the full spectrum premium DTS-HD Master Audio codec into the PS3 so that more than 10 million owners of one of the best selling computer entertainment systems can have the best sounding, most efficient and flexible audio technology available as well," said Brian Towne, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Consumer Division at DTS. "DTS-HD Master Audio is fast becoming the must-have feature for high definition entertainment enthusiasts."

"PS3 was designed to enable delivery of new and improved technologies like DTS-HD Master Audio," said Teiji Yutaka, Senior Vice President, Software Platform Development, SCE. "So we are delighted to be able to offer this capability to PS3 users."

NekoFever

YES!

(for those who can't be bothered to read through the sea of copyright symbols, it's coming in a firmware update on the 15th)

Oni Jazar

Bulla564 said:
Is DTS better than a PCM track?

What is supposed to be the absolute best?

No PCM is technically the best quality since it is uncompressed, but DTS-HD delivers the same quality at a smaller size.

The problem was that most Fox Blu-rays only had DTS-HD so PS3 owners could not hear the best quality sound (until now).

NekoFever

Oni Jazar said:
The problem was that most Fox Blu-rays only had DTS-HD so PS3 owners could not hear the best quality sound (until now).
New Line as well. I've got Pan's Labyrinth at home and The Orphange on the way, and I'll be able to hear them how they're supposed to be :D

I believe DTS-HD MA is lossless, meaning that it should provide the best sound you've heard so far. Provided your system can handle it.

Davidion

devildog820 said:
I believe DTS-HD MA is lossless, meaning that it should provide the best sound you've heard so far. Provided your system can handle it.

Nothing do with handling, everything to do with 95% of the people out there not actually having a sound system good enough to be able to produce the difference.

Awesome news. Now to wish I had speakers that could really make use of it...

Seriously though, all I need now really is a firmware update so the music player supports FLAC and/or OGG and the PS3 will be my unstoppable media hub.

Bulla564 said:
Is DTS better than a PCM track?

What is supposed to be the absolute best?

PCM is loss less but limited to 5 channels

DTS-HD master, is not lossless but can be 7.1 I believe?

You need a hell of am amp for it

nib95

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
PCM is loss less but limited to 5 channels

DTS-HD master, is not lossless but can be 7.1 I believe?

You need a hell of am amp for it

You can get PCM 7.1 via the Onkyo's. PCM is still the best due to it being completely un-compressed.

on the PSN store update video they stuck in that

I have more good news to report today – the system software update will also add DTS-HD Master Audio output for Blu-ray videos, which means the high-definition visuals of Blu-ray will now be matched with the highest quality audio for the ultimate movie-watching experience on PS3.

DTS-HD Master Audio is literally bit-for-bit identical to the studio master recording and makes movie soundtracks and sound effects truly come to life. The technology delivers audio at the incredibly high rate of 24.5 mega-bits per second (Mbps) on Blu-ray disc, which is significantly higher than standard DVDs. DTS-HD Master Audio also offers 7.1 audio channels at 96k sampling frequency/24 bit depths, so you’ll be totally immersed in the sound. The firmware update will add DTS-HD High Resolution Audio as well, which is a similar output technology that requires less disc space. You can read more about both codecs here.

A lot of you, particularly the home theatre enthusiasts and audiophiles out there, have been asking us for this capability, and we can’t wait until you have an opportunity to pop in a compatible Blu-ray video to test it out for yourself.

One down, 5 million more request to go ;o

h3ro

Good thing Kojima is pretty much done with the MGS4... other wise we'd be looking at a four 50GB BD game.

nib95

Banned
h3ro said:
Good thing Kojima is pretty much done with the MGS4... other wise we'd be looking at a four 50GB BD game.

The scary thing is, the current version of the game is only Dolby Digital.

I could care less about this, and I imagine that only a few percent of users will actually get anything out of it, but it's a cool bragging right anyway.

Oni Jazar

ollin said:
Most of the new mid-level and high-end amps now have DTS-HD MA decoding. You can get the Onkyo TX-SR605 for under $400.

I believe the PS3 will handle the decoding. It will pass the DTS-HD MA audo to either 7.1 via PCM HDMI or 2.0 PCM optical.

h3ro

nib95 said:
The scary thing is, the current version of the game is only Dolby Digital.

Hmm... No DTS is surprising. My sound system for some reason just sounds better with a DTS encoding, but whatever, its a great feature!

Does Planet Earth (best BD EVAR) have a DTS-HD encode?

Amon37

OMG finally!!!

All over my face!!

To clear up confusion from wiki

LPCM

Common sample resolutions for LPCM are 8, 16, 20, 24 or 32 bits per sample.

While two channels (stereo) is the most common format, some can support up to 8 audio channels (7.1 surround).

Common sampling frequencies are 48 kHz as used with DVD format videos, or 44.1 kHz as used in compact discs. Sampling frequencies of 96 kHz or 192 kHz can be used on some newer equipment, with the higher value equating to 6.144 megabits per second per audio channel.

Dolby True HD
Dolby's current lossless coding technology. It offers bit-for-bit sound reproduction identical to the studio master. Over seven full-range 24-bit/96 kHz discrete channels are supported (plus a LFE channel, making it 7.1 surround)

DTS-HD MA and DTS HD HR
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, like DTS-HD Master Audio, is an extension to the original DTS audio format. It delivers up to 7.1 channels of sound at 96 kHz sampling frequency and 24 bit depth resolution. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio is selected as an optional surround sound format for Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD with constant bit rates up to respectively 6.0 Mbit/s and 3.0 Mbit/s. It is supposed to be an alternative for DTS-HD Master Audio where disc space may not allow it.

DTS-HD MA supports variable bit rates up to 24.5 Mbit/s on a Blu-ray Disc and up to 18.0 Mbit/s for HD DVD. The format supports a maximum of 192kHz sampling frequency and 24-bit depth samples in 2 channels stereo mode, and 24bit/96KHz resolution in multichannel mode with up to 8 channels.

nib95 said:
You can get PCM 7.1 via the Onkyo's. PCM is still the best due to it being completely un-compressed.

Uncompressed and lossless is the same fucking thing. What's the difference between a CD you ripped as a PCM WAV file and one that you ran through FLAC? Nothing, except one doesn't waste so much space.

Case closed.

I've got young ears, and I'm an audiophile with a huge pro audio set up, and if you ask me I've looked past all the hype of uncompressed audio and think you either need to be stretching the truth a bit or have the ears of a rabbit to hear a huge difference between compressed and uncompressed anyway. Most of it is a whole lot of wanking for an excuse to sell people a whole new generation of receivers and nothing more.

nubbe

Bloodwake said:
GOD, do I want a receiver with Dolby True HD and DTS HD on it.
No, you want a reciver which can handle multichannel PCM over HDMI. The decoding is done on the player.

Excellent news - I have to wonder whether there will be anything reasonable left on people's wish lists by the time of the July update.

TheExodu5

Banned
ScrabbleBanshee said:
Uncompressed and lossless is the same fucking thing. What's the difference between a CD you ripped as a PCM WAV file and one that you ran through FLAC? Nothing, except one doesn't waste so much space.

Case closed.

I've got young ears, and I'm an audiophile with a huge pro audio set up, and if you ask me I've looked past all the hype of uncompressed audio and think you either need to be stretching the truth a bit or have the ears of a rabbit to hear a huge difference between compressed and uncompressed anyway. Most of it is a whole lot of wanking for an excuse to sell people a whole new generation of receivers and nothing more.

True + 1.

Funny thing is, at home, we swapped an Anthem D1 Statement for a Denon 4308 (for the HDMI connectivity and video scaling mostly), and while it can now do lossless sound, it still sounds considerably worse than the Anthem D1. Hell, even swapping between DolbyD and LPCM, I can't hear a lickety split of difference (at least we couldn't pick it out in a blind test).

It's much easier to hear compression differences with music, but even then, a 256kbps VBR MP3 is enough to fool any human ear (and 192kbps is enough to fool most people).

The people believing there's a tonne of difference between DD and lossless are the same people who think that $100/ft esoteric cable makes a shit of difference.

Oh jeez! The misinformation

PCM = DTS MA after decoding.

DTS MA is superior to PCM in that it has a nice 1.5mbps core track that you can listen to if you don't have the HDMI input, and only optical. In terms of technology it's superior.

Anyways, I think I read somewhere that DTS actually plays around with the surround field to improve the surround experience. No idea how true it is.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
nib95 said:
Do the Logitech Z5500's support DTS HD MA?
No. You're pretty much stuck with DD5.1 and old DTS with those. I have the same speakers and it's still amazing sound quality for the money, but the receiver doesn't support any of the HD audio codecs, or the 5.1 PCM, at least not the kind you can get out of PS3 directly.

TheExodu5 said:
It's much easier to hear compression differences with music, but even then, a 256kbps VBR MP3 is enough to fool any human ear (and 192kbps is enough to fool most people).
Yeah, but DD5.1 uses compression algorithm older and worse than MP3 to compress 6 channels into 384kbps. With MP3, you have 192kbps for just two channels. DD5.1 still sounds good to me though.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Aw man, what are the people on AVS forum gonna bitch about then!? :D

Awesome awesome news.

TheExodu5

Banned
gstaff said:
I'm guessing my receiver will just convert it to 7.1 PCM?

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/denon-avr-2807/4505-6466_7-31660758.html

Since it does have DTS-HD I assume this is the case, or does PS3 do the onboard encoding?

The PS3 does the decoding and outputs LPCM, I believe. For some reason unkown to me, the PS3 can't output the DTS-HD bitstream for the Denon to decode. Shouldn't really matter anyways, since decoding it is a simple process and it will be output digitally anyways. The Denon will still be doing what matters most with its DACs and amplifiers.

kiUNiT

DarkJediKnight said:
Oh jeez! The misinformation

PCM = DTS MA after decoding.

DTS MA is superior to PCM in that it has a nice 1.5mbps core track that you can listen to if you don't have the HDMI input, and only optical. In terms of technology it's superior.

Anyways, I think I read somewhere that DTS actually plays around with the surround field to improve the surround experience. No idea how true it is.

are you saying I can take advantage of DTS-MA through optical on my 5 Year old kenwood 5.1 receiver?

Top Bottom