• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

whitehawk

Banned
So I installed red steel 2, but whenever I Truro launch it it just boots me back to the who menu? Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Edit: also it wouldn't download the covers for the game, can I manually add the covers?

whitehawk said:
So I installed red steel 2, but whenever I Truro launch it it just boots me back to the who menu? Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Edit: also it wouldn't download the covers for the game, can I manually add the covers?
IIRC you need to boot it with the alternate .dol the first time you play it so you can watch some boring tutorial on how to use motion plus. Then once you watched that you should be able to boot it normally.

whitehawk

Banned
nincompoop said:
IIRC you need to boot it with the alternate .dol the first time you play it so you can watch some boring tutorial on how to use motion plus. Then once you watched that you should be able to boot it normally.
Thank you :)

bumpkin

I'm thinking about installing the homebrew channel and trying my hand at some Wii dev, but I have one huge concern... Will I have to worry about my Wii getting bricked?

Clipper

nincompoop said:
Even easier method is just to play the disc once. I don't generally give out the alternate .dol approach as only pirates actually need that one.

bumpkin said:
I'm thinking about installing the homebrew channel and trying my hand at some Wii dev, but I have one huge concern... Will I have to worry about my Wii getting bricked?
Not if you follow this:

Out of curiosity, is there a way to put gamecube games on USBloader? Moving in a few weeks, gonna box the non-essentials in storage and if i can get away with leaving the GCN discs behind i'll go for it. Not sure how much i'll actually play them, but it's nice to have the option lol

Clipper

velvet_nitemare said:
Out of curiosity, is there a way to put gamecube games on USBloader? Moving in a few weeks, gonna box the non-essentials in storage and if i can get away with leaving the GCN discs behind i'll go for it. Not sure how much i'll actually play them, but it's nice to have the option lol
There was an attempt at it, but it doesn't work very well and isn't worth trying.

Just get yourself a disc wallet that can hold smaller discs, maybe.

bumpkin

Clipper said:
Not if you follow this:
I must be dumber than the average homebrew newbie... So many different permutations depending upon what I want to be able to do (or not do), and I'm not really sure which set of instructions I should follow. It looks as though there is some degree of overlap in the subsequent instructions after "Would you like to upgrade your Wii firmware in a safe way that avoids the risk of the official Nintendo update?" Is that the best/most versatile process to follow?

Clipper

bumpkin said:
I must be dumber than the average homebrew newbie... So many different permutations depending upon what I want to be able to do (or not do), and I'm not really sure which set of instructions I should follow. It looks as though there is some degree of overlap in the subsequent instructions after "Would you like to upgrade your Wii firmware in a safe way that avoids the risk of the official Nintendo update?" Is that the best/most versatile process to follow?
Is your Wii on old firmware still (We're talking about not updating in two years or so here)? If so, that would help, otherwise, you're good.

The choices on that page that has confused you aren't mutually exclusive. Going through one set of instructions won't block you from doing another at a later time. The minimum you need for Wii dev is to just install the Homebrew Channel. You'll then get the rest of your info from wiibrew.org and devkitpro.org. The only other big choice is if you want to do USB loading too, at which point you would follow those steps.

bumpkin

Clipper said:
Is your Wii on old firmware still (We're talking about not updating in two years or so here)? If so, that would help, otherwise, you're good.

The choices on that page that has confused you aren't mutually exclusive. Going through one set of instructions won't block you from doing another at a later time. The minimum you need for Wii dev is to just install the Homebrew Channel. You'll then get the rest of your info from wiibrew.org and devkitpro.org. The only other big choice is if you want to do USB loading too, at which point you would follow those steps.
Yeah, it's a bit confusing to the un-aquainted. I've never tried to do anything firmware related to any of my consoles. The closest I've come was a mod chip in my original PlayStation. Even that sketched me out a little.

My main concern is I don't want to compromise anything I have from the Wii Shop or lose the ability to use the shop going forward or play Wii games online (though that's a rare occasion). I double checked and my firmware is up-to-date as far as I know... Version 4.3U. I'm not looking to be able to USB load if I can just put my homebrew on an SD card and load it that way.

I was in the process of following these steps but stopped prior to installing anything after I saw all the instruction variations on the wikidot page. :-/

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup

Clipper

bumpkin said:
Yeah, it's a bit confusing to the un-aquainted. I've never tried to do anything firmware related to any of my consoles. The closest I've come was a mod chip in my original PlayStation. Even that sketched me out a little.

My main concern is I don't want to compromise anything I have from the Wii Shop or lose the ability to use the shop going forward or play Wii games online (though that's a rare occasion). I double checked and my firmware is up-to-date as far as I know... Version 4.3U. I'm not looking to be able to USB load if I can just put my homebrew on an SD card and load it that way.

I was in the process of following these steps but stopped prior to installing anything after I saw all the instruction variations on the wikidot page. :-/

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup

USB loading refers to retail games copied over from discs, not homebrew stuff. You can load homebrew stuff off the SD or hard drive by only installing the Homebrew Channel. Nothing on the GAF Wiki will make it so that you can't update the Wii Shop in future, and there are even instructions there for updating the Wii Shop. Finally, unlike other systems, none of the steps in the GAF Wiki update your firmware with anything apart from official Nintendo stuff. You have the option of installing some extra modules if you want USB Loading, but you don't modify anything from Nintendo's version.

Long story short, it sounds like all that you want is the Homebrew Channel. You'll also need a method to launch the HBC installer. YOu can ignore everything else.

bumpkin

Clipper said:
USB loading refers to retail games copied over from discs, not homebrew stuff. You can load homebrew stuff off the SD or hard drive by only installing the Homebrew Channel. Nothing on the GAF Wiki will make it so that you can't update the Wii Shop in future, and there are even instructions there for updating the Wii Shop. Finally, unlike other systems, none of the steps in the GAF Wiki update your firmware with anything apart from official Nintendo stuff. You have the option of installing some extra modules if you want USB Loading, but you don't modify anything from Nintendo's version.

Long story short, it sounds like all that you want is the Homebrew Channel. You'll also need a method to launch the HBC installer. YOu can ignore everything else.
Ah, alright. Thanks for distilling it down for me. :) I'll have to give it a whirl sometime this week.

One last Q... As far as you know, is it possible to configure an IDE to let me write and compile code (for Wii homebrew) with a Mac? I saw a link on wiibrew.org mentioning Eclipse on Linux.

Clipper

bumpkin said:
Ah, alright. Thanks for distilling it down for me. :) I'll have to give it a whirl sometime this week.

One last Q... As far as you know, is it possible to configure an IDE to let me write and compile code (for Wii homebrew) with a Mac? I saw a link on wiibrew.org mentioning Eclipse on Linux.
Well, it's just standard C/C++, so you should be able to configure any IDE to work with it. I use Visual C++ for my coding stuff, but I just use gcc in cygwin to compile.

bumpkin

Clipper said:
Well, it's just standard C/C++, so you should be able to configure any IDE to work with it. I use Visual C++ for my coding stuff, but I just use gcc in cygwin to compile.
Ah, yeah. That makes sense then I guess. The only thing I'll have to figure out then (after getting my IDE configured) is how to test early-ish builds without having to play musical SD card. :) Not too long ago I discovered that there's a build of Dolphin for Mac OSX, but I never had much luck getting it going; the .dol file I used to test could have easily been built wrong or missing assets though.

Clipper

bumpkin said:
Ah, yeah. That makes sense then I guess. The only thing I'll have to figure out then (after getting my IDE configured) is how to test early-ish builds without having to play musical SD card. :) Not too long ago I discovered that there's a build of Dolphin for Mac OSX, but I never had much luck getting it going; the .dol file I used to test could have easily been built wrong or missing assets though.
Part of the hackmii installer which installs the HBC for you is a program called wiiload, and they include an osx version. With your Wii idling in the HBC, you can use wiiload to send a binary to the HBC to be executed. You can even use command line arguments while doing this. This should eliminate musical SD cards and you can do your testing directly on the Wii.

Sorry if this has been answered, or if it goes over any lines. I couldn't find anything on the wiki about it.

I was wondering if there is any Wii homebrew that I can use to back up gamecube games to sd or a USB hard drive. I don't want to play the backed up files on my Wii, I want to try messing around with Dolphin on my PC.

Mostly I am trying to play SMS and the jaggies are killing me (I didn't remember them being this bad) - I'm wondering if I can get it smoother looking on Dolphin.

Also is there any concern with installing a configurable usb loader forwarding channel? I know there used to be, but that was quite a while back. I've been on a virgin wii for a while

By the way, thanks Clipper, the tutorial is great. I was at stock 4.3U and not even 20 minutes later, I had HBC and CFG USB Loader set up.

Clipper

JodyAnthony said:
Sorry if this has been answered, or if it goes over any lines. I couldn't find anything on the wiki about it.

I was wondering if there is any Wii homebrew that I can use to back up gamecube games to sd or a USB hard drive. I don't want to play the backed up files on my Wii, I want to try messing around with Dolphin on my PC.

Mostly I am trying to play SMS and the jaggies are killing me (I didn't remember them being this bad) - I'm wondering if I can get it smoother looking on Dolphin.

Also is there any concern with installing a configurable usb loader forwarding channel? I know there used to be, but that was quite a while back. I've been on a virgin wii for a while

By the way, thanks Clipper, the tutorial is great. I was at stock 4.3U and not even 20 minutes later, I had HBC and CFG USB Loader set up.
I added a page for the forwarder a long while back. That one is safe.

As for ripping GameCube games, there's an app called CleanRip that I believe does the job quite well.

One more question: I followed the tutorial and have been playing games from my USB drive, but have been having weird controller issues. When I'm playing either twilight princess or animal crossing, the control seems to rwndomly drop for a second once in a while. other games seem to work fine (smg, etc) but for those two it's an issue. Is it something to do with just those games? Makes twilight princess pretty annoying.

I am using a wd essentials 320gb hdd, formatted to fat32, if that makes a difference.

Clipper said:
I'm surprised how many people this tricks on both sides of the argument. Having written that app, I can tell you exactly what that option does. If you pick the piracy option, it undoes what it just did, deleting IOS236 from your Wii and then chastises you for being a pirate. If you try to immediately rerun the app, it remembers your previous response and chastises you even further for attempting such a thing.

Even if you turn the Wii off and then back on, it remembers how many times you have tried to run it and refuses to do anything else. It also stalls your Wii for a longer period each time before returning to the HBC. It is rather easy to fool the app, but I do enjoy the occasional heated private message or post on the GWHT forums from some stupid pirate who was too stupid to figure it out.

It's like kicking Itchy in the butt, there's just no way to resist picking it the first time.

Dogbert8

Neo Member
JodyAnthony said:
One more question: I followed the tutorial and have been playing games from my USB drive, but have been having weird controller issues. When I'm playing either twilight princess or animal crossing, the control seems to rwndomly drop for a second once in a while. other games seem to work fine (smg, etc) but for those two it's an issue. Is it something to do with just those games? Makes twilight princess pretty annoying.
It's a known issue for Waninkoko's IOS249 Rev 20 & Rev 21 for some hard drives for some games. You've got four options: 1) Switch to Hermes's IOS222, 2) Downgrade cIOS249 to Rev 19, 3) Upgrade to Rev21 d2x, a community-driven fix for this problem, or 4) Switch to a different hard drive. Any option should work just fine...

Clipper

Dogbert8 said:
It's a known issue for Waninkoko's IOS249 Rev 20 & Rev 21 for some hard drives for some games. You've got four options: 1) Switch to Hermes's IOS222, 2) Downgrade cIOS249 to Rev 19, 3) Upgrade to Rev21 d2x, a community-driven fix for this problem, or 4) Switch to a different hard drive. Any option should work just fine...
I believe you can also use an IOS249 slot that uses base 38. Note that it is only these games that you will need to tweak, so you just need to set the settings for those games, not switch entirely to the IOS.

Has anyone had trouble receiving gifts on the shop channel with a softmodded wii? I used Modmii to get my wii updated and I can redeem the gift message but when I try and download I get an error. Doesnt matter if I dl to wii or sd memory.

I've not used gifts so more information is need. This error, if its a number look it on the NOA support website. Also is your Wii shop channel up to date (easier way to find out is to boot it up and if it asks to update the asnwer is no in which case follow the wkis guide).

Hi guys.... i recently saw a screen grab (in a cafe thread i think) of a custom wii home menu that showed a horizontally scrolling list of game covers as a way to select titles to play.... looked really cool and i've been trying to find the post again to see if i can find out what it is / learn more about it...

Anyone got any ideas as to what it is?

If i recall the author said it downloads cover art automatically or something?

.... help much apprciated!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
yeah somehow in all the homebrew stuff i've done i broke wiiconnect24. dont have any idea how.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Stumpokapow said:
Sorry for giving a feedback so late. The second link doesn't explain how to properly install a patched IOS249 at all. Mine was stubbed when I completed all the steps from the Wiki's instructions. Maybe I've did something wrong, but I fixed it by deleting the IOS249 stub and re-installing it with IOS58 (IIRC) as a base IOS. NeoGamma for example wouldn't work properly without a patched IOS249 so I had no choice but to stress on getting it patched.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm able to install things through the Homebrew browser, but anytime I put folders in the 'apps' it never shows up on the Homebrew channel

Clipper

Vic said:
Sorry for giving a feedback so late. The second link doesn't explain how to properly install a patched IOS249 at all. Mine was stubbed when I completed all the steps from the Wiki's instructions. Maybe I've did something wrong, but I fixed it by deleting the IOS249 stub and re-installing it with IOS58 (IIRC) as a base IOS. NeoGamma for example wouldn't work properly without a patched IOS249 so I had no choice but to stress on getting it patched.
The steps on the Wiki work just fine. Your IOS249 is NOT patched by the IOS249 instructions any more. They explain clearly that they are to install IOS249 into the 248 and 247 slots instead. The reason for this is to avoid the 'I updated my Wii and now it doesn't work' issue. It also fixes the 'Game discs keep asking me to update, but I'm already updated' issue.

NeoGamma only uses the 249 slot, but you could have easily used the same instructions on the Wiki to figure out how to install to the 249 slot to use it. There's also a new version of IOS249 created recently with some new features. Those features haven't been too compelling until just the last day or two (WiiPower just perfected the IOS reload block), so there was no need to use the new installer until now, but look for them to change soon.

mooooose

Ok so my Wii keeps on freezing off my HDD and doesn't even load Brawl. I'm thinking I fucked up my CIOS somewhere or my harddrive is dead.

I want to start my Wii over from scratch. I can backup all my saves first, as those are the only things I'm concerned with losing. How do I completely wipe my Wii but also leave it open to being hacked? I have Brawl.

Also is there any program to check the condition of a harddrive? I'm going to wipe it clean. Does Wii support NTFS game loading or just FAT32?

Clipper

mooooose said:
Ok so my Wii keeps on freezing off my HDD and doesn't even load Brawl. I'm thinking I fucked up my CIOS somewhere or my harddrive is dead.

I want to start my Wii over from scratch. I can backup all my saves first, as those are the only things I'm concerned with losing. How do I completely wipe my Wii but also leave it open to being hacked? I have Brawl.

Also is there any program to check the condition of a harddrive? I'm going to wipe it clean. Does Wii support NTFS game loading or just FAT32?
Wiping things clean won't help. Just treat your Wii as if you had never installed homebrew and install everything over the top of what you used to have. And yes, Cfg does support ripping and reading from NTFS drives. Just add "ntfs_write=1" to config.txt as per the instructions on the Wiki.

wii_HD

Neo Member
Can I install HBC/Channels on a 4.3E machine then later if I want to remove it leave no trace HBC or Channels were there?

I want to use wiiMC on my second stock machine.

Clipper

wii_HD said:
Can I install HBC/Channels on a 4.3E machine then later if I want to remove it leave no trace HBC or Channels were there?

I want to use wiiMC on my second stock machine.
Sort of. Make sure the first thing you do after installing HBC and BootMii is to make a backup. Then afterwards, when you want to get rid of the homebrew, revert to your backup and delete HBC and BootMii. There will be some minor traces and you will lose any progress made in saves in the meantime, but it is there if you need it.

Also, keep in mind that if your Wii is only a year or two old, it probably can't play any type of burnt DVD.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
When running Wii Sports Resort through USB Loader it seems to stop lifting Motion Plus data for a split second every so often resulting in completely fucked up frisbee throws and what not (since I will have done a full swing back, but the Mii on screen will have stopped accepting data and still be halfway through, so when I do the throw swing forward and it accepts the full motion data it will throw it way to the right or whatever). The game works fine when running it from the original disk so I don't think it's a controller issue.

I don't know if it's related but the loader also seems to freeze every so often for a split second when browsing games. If I'm constantly doing a circular motion with the pointer visible on screen, it will just stop tracking it every so often, resulting in jumps and what not. This however might be a different issue altogether and is pretty minor, since it doesn't seem to happen in the games. I can play rail shooters and FPS games and what not just fine.

I think I've mentioned the Wii Sports Resort issue before so here's a new one. Wii Fit Plus has the same exact issue but for the balance board instead. If you're doing that slalom skiing event, if you're unlucky and it stops tracking data when you want to change your direction, of course it won't and you will be weirded out and go way off your mark. It can happen in other mini games too, even steps, making it seem laggy in accepting input etc.

When WSR was the only game that did this it was fine, I just kept it in the disc slot and still had all my games accessible without disc swapping at all, but now with Wii Fit Plus doing it also it's getting annoying. I'm using the last stable bugfix release, I haven't tried the new alpha branches and I've had this for many versions if not all.

Clipper

Alextended said:
When running Wii Sports Resort through USB Loader it seems to stop lifting Motion Plus data for a split second every so often resulting in completely fucked up frisbee throws and what not (since I will have done a full swing back, but the Mii on screen will have stopped accepting data and still be halfway through, so when I do the throw swing forward and it accepts the full motion data it will throw it way to the right or whatever). The game works fine when running it from the original disk so I don't think it's a controller issue.

I don't know if it's related but the loader also seems to freeze every so often for a split second when browsing games. If I'm constantly doing a circular motion with the pointer visible on screen, it will just stop tracking it every so often, resulting in jumps and what not. This however might be a different issue altogether and is pretty minor, since it doesn't seem to happen in the games. I can play rail shooters and FPS games and what not just fine.

I think I've mentioned the Wii Sports Resort issue before so here's a new one. Wii Fit Plus has the same exact issue but for the balance board instead. If you're doing that slalom skiing event, if you're unlucky and it stops tracking data when you want to change your direction, of course it won't and you will be weirded out and go way off your mark. It can happen in other mini games too, even steps, making it seem laggy in accepting input etc.

When WSR was the only game that did this it was fine, I just kept it in the disc slot and still had all my games accessible without disc swapping at all, but now with Wii Fit Plus doing it also it's getting annoying. I'm using the last stable bugfix release, I haven't tried the new alpha branches and I've had this for many versions if not all.
Try using some different IOSes. Several older games don't tend to like the newer bases, so try IOS224 if you followed the GAF tutorial (it uses base 37).

Black Republican said:
i dont understand how nintendo just cant send some sought of stealth update to block most the homebrew, or maybe they just dont care anymore lol
Stealth updates fall under hacking laws. While the TOS talks about automatic downloading of data it is referring to the news and weather channels. Basically, an update requires your consent (to limit your legal standing should things go wrong) and frankly most homebrew users prompted with a "update me pls" will look up what said update is going to do.

What do I find odd is there has not been a firmware update in ages. I did think 3rd party game save exploits might have some issues with blocking but given sudokuhax on the DSi involved a 3rd party (though Nintendo's solution was quarantine the sudoku DSiWare and then add in some more signing to prevent DSiWare save exploits...also the sudoku game did eventually get fixed) I'm not so sure. Then again its not like it will actually achieve anything whatsoever.

whitehawk

Banned
So I installed goldeneye but I'm having problems getting the boxart to work. When I try to download the boxart, it says it was downloaded successfully but it never shows up. It also prevents half m games boxart from displaying, until I restart the loader. Anyone know what's going on?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Clipper said:
Try using some different IOSes. Several older games don't tend to like the newer bases, so try IOS224 if you followed the GAF tutorial (it uses base 37).
When I check IOS on USB loader it says:
222: stub
223: stub
224: not installed
225: not installed
226: not installed
247: Base 57 rev20 (r20)
248: Base 56 rev20 (r20)
249: stub
250: Base 57 rev20 (r65535)

Which one are you suggesting? It's setup to use 248 by default I think. Also is that 250 one maybe unecessary from old installs or something? Should I update any?

I guess you want me to install and try this?

Datschge

Alextended said:
I guess you want me to install and try this?
Yes, since you haven't installed this yet.

Clipper, the latest Cfg has a new interface but I honestly prefer the old one (including having a game preselected). Is there an option to disable the new interface in newer versions?

Top Bottom