• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2008 Assignment 41 :Disturbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

Theme: Disturbing (Courtesy of Oatmeal - Let me know if the times are ok).

Submissions are due by Sunday, May 18th at 11:59pm EST.
Voting begins Monday, May 19th and ends on Tuesday, May 20th at 11:59pm EST.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads, then by Wii Fit ski jump.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

Hey, like most here I don't want to be the "rules guy", but I thought I'd mention that a few pics in the last assignment were over-sized, and...

Pictures at that size can generally be seen in their entirety without scrolling, which is important for taking in and judging the composition. Keep in mind that other people may have different size screens than you do, with different settings, and just because it fits on your screen that may not be true for everyone. Also, I find bigger pictures usually have more impact (depending on sharpness and other factors), so I think it keeps everyone on a level playing field to limit pics to the guideline 800 pixels.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Why not, if you have a panorama styled pic posting a thumbnail instead of the full image?

mrkgoo

sp0rsk said:
Why not, if you have a panorama styled pic posting a thumbnail instead of the full image?

Why not indeed.

For the uninitiated, you can make a smaller image link to a bigger image, and simply beg people to click it - much better for the thread. And just to avoid hypocrisy, I admit fault to having made some large images in the past.

McSpidey

Oral-Hygiene.jpg

40D, 50mm, F1.4

Tf53

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.4
Exposure: 0.067 sec (1/15)
Aperture: f/2
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Flash fired

Might not disturb you, but go and ask the neighbors. ;)

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
196575.jpeg

proper size

capture device: Lexmark x1100
Lens: n/a
Exposure: 40 or so sec.
no post work

I took this photo using my scanner to make it look all digitized and spooky(at least I feel it is). fist time I'm entering btw :)

McSpidey

Haha! I just spotted this :)

mrkgoo said:
4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads, then by Wii Fit ski jump.

And the rest is pretty good too ;)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
2490711257_14ce744526_o.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Focal Length: 22 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Flash: Flash did not fire

Davidion

Tf53 said:
[/URL]

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.4
Aperture: f/2
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Flash: Flash fired

Might not disturb you, but go and ask the neighbors. ;)

Hey, last time I checked sexy and disturbing isn't the same thing.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Just wanted to give this a little bump.

The photos are already giving me nightmares. I'm worried about once all the rest of the pics start rolling in!

:D

mrkgoo

Great stuff so far.

Thought I'd submit something just to keep up the pace for a change.

I was photographing dewy spider-webs this morning, and as it turns out, I was the one doing the disturbing - look what I found under one of the blades:
2495471141_f16845a4fa_o.jpg

So tiny, and just waiting. Waiting...

Canon 40D, EF-S 60mm, f8.0, 1/100s, iso640.

First photo!

Lousy camera though, but I just didn't have room for a bigger camera for my trip to Greenland(although it's all about priorities <_<)

But disturbing indeed!

Naked Seal
nakedseal.jpg

Canon Ixus 750
ISO 100
Flash: Did not fire

Metroid Killer said:
First photo!

Lousy camera though, but I just didn't have room for a bigger camera for my trip to Greenland(although it's all about priorities <_<)

But disturbing indeed!

Naked Seal

Sweet mother of Christ WTF AM I LOOKING AT? What is a "naked' seal? Do I even want to know??? I think I know what it is but part of me isn't sure or doesn't want to believe it D:

ScientificNinja said:
Sweet mother of Christ WTF AM I LOOKING AT? What is a "naked' seal? Do I even want to know??? I think I know what it is but part of me isn't sure or doesn't want to believe it D:
sonicnooooo.jpg
:lol

Actually it's "just" a seal head without skin, laying in its own guts.

They have these "fish/meat houses" in pretty much every town in Greenland, where all the "hunters" sell their catch.

Having seen reindeer brains, and polarbear testicles makes you pretty immune to these kind of things.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Jebus said:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/pinheadion/DisturbedTeddy.jpg

Evil bear takes some time out from killing the kids, to play some GTA4...

Pentax K10D (represent!)
50mm
F1.4
ISO - 100
1/2" exposure Time
Rep!
The 50mm f/1.4 is my fav lens now :D

Metroid Killer said:
sonicnooooo.jpg
:lol

Actually it's "just" a seal head without skin, laying in its own guts.

They have these "fish/meat houses" in pretty much every town in Greenland, where all the "hunters" sell their catch.

Having seen reindeer brains, and polarbear testicles makes you pretty immune to these kind of things.

Ooookaaay... that's pretty much what I thought it was. So do people buy these things? What do they do with them? Eat them?

I've never seen reindeer brains nor polarbear testicles, so I'm NOT IMMUNE!!

mrkgoo

Theme: Disturbing (Courtesy of Oatmeal - Let me know if the times are ok).

Submissions are due by Sunday, May 18th at 11:59pm EST.
Voting begins Monday, May 19th and ends on Tuesday, May 20th at 11:59pm EST.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

Just wanted to remind people. The point isn't to go through your back catalogue and select an image that fits, but rather to go out and shoot with the theme in mind, to give purpose to our shoots.

Sure, some photos, such as mine, might stretch the theme a bit and really only chosen after the fact, but I still think it's important to have this single rule to encourage us to go out and do it.

mrkgoo said:
Just wanted to remind people. The point isn't to go through your back catalogue and select an image that fits, but rather to go out and shoot with the theme in mind, to give purpose to our shoots.

Sure, some photos, such as mine, might stretch the theme a bit and really only chosen after the fact, but I still think it's important to have this single rule to encourage us to go out and do it.
Agreed, that's what these assignments are all about.

LuCkymoON

Banned
mrkgoo said:

My shot was taken the day I posted it. =P
It's a work related photo; the customer didn't believe the reason for their constant paper jams. :lol

mrkgoo

LuCkymoON said:
It's a work related photo; the customer didn't believe the reason for their constant paper jams. :lol

I know your image is fine ;)

Solaros

LuCkymoON said:

I thought you had put that there, but... wow.

I admit that I didn't shoot those seals with the theme in mind (more of a "holy eff at that seal" in mind). But later that day when I went through my shots, I did think that it would fit the theme very well. And luck was on my side when I came home yesterday, and got my account activated.

I don't know if that's too big of a stretch?

Metroid Killer said:
First photo!

But disturbing indeed!

Naked Seal
nakedseal.jpg

Canon Ixus 750
ISO 100
Flash: Did not fire
Oh fucking god. Never stepping into a photography thread again.

mrkgoo

Metroid Killer said:
I admit that I didn't shoot those seals with the theme in mind (more of a "holy eff at that seal" in mind). But later that day when I went through my shots, I did think that it would fit the theme very well. And luck was on my side when I came home yesterday, and got my account activated.

I don't know if that's too big of a stretch?

Not a stretch at all - actually pretty typical for these assignments :p

Actually, I'm always willing to take your word. But just bearing in mind your exif does state the image was digitized in July of last year, though the TIFF exif was recent. I'm confused, but then, I don't know much about exifs, which why I'm always willing to accept - nothing to do with Junior Memberness (I never look at that anyway). Computer dates and times, software and everything can always be set wrong or stuff things up. I've had apertures be recorded differently due to the exif version and so on.

But then, yours isn't the only one where 'exifs may be confused'. ;) Regardless, your shot is very disturbing - it's the damn whiskers on the one in front. I'm tempted to put a smiley on those eyes too.

when is the assignment date? i think my other was taken just before it, anyway i'll choose this instead, taken last week I thought it was disturbing anyway, some people actually look like that...

4-1.jpg

mrkgoo

BlazingDarkness said:
when is the assignment date? i think my other was taken just before it, anyway i'll choose this instead, taken last week I thought it was disturbing anyway, some people actually look like that...

The assignments typically start the moment the thread is. Regardless, I loved your last shot! What's your fetish for clowns?

Again, though, rules tend to be loose-ish, such as closing time, but I just wanted to reiterate the purpose. There aren't many rules here, besides that one.

mrkgoo said:
The assignments typically start the moment the thread is. Regardless, I loved your last shot! What's your fetish for clowns?

Again, though, rules tend to be loose-ish, such as closing time, but I just wanted to reiterate the purpose. There aren't many rules here, besides that one.

ah ok, maybe i'll go back to clown :lol though the seal thing will win all else anyway, thats disturbing
it was quite surreal taking the ones with the clown though, i have a few of them, we were in the middle of a busy town centre but no one reacted to the clown wondering around and sitting on things as we took the photographs apart from one little girl, everyone else wasnt phased by it at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom