• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And The "Prince of Persia" is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
BREAKING: Jake Gyllenhaal is 'The Prince of Persia'!

Posted May 20th 2008 3:00PM by Erik Davis
Filed under: Action, Casting, Deals, Fandom, Newsstand, Games and Game Movies
See, it's totally NOT Orlando Bloom. Instead, as previously rumored, Jake Gyllenhaal has landed the lead role in The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time for director Mike Newell, Walt Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer. Remember how we told you to expect both leads to be announced at the same time? Well, starring opposite Gyllenhaal will be ... Gemma Arterton. Yes, that random up-and-comer who recently nabbed a role in the new James Bond flick, Quantum of Solace.

In the film, Gyllenhaal will play Dastan, a young Prince who teams with an exotic princess named Tamina (Arterton) on a mission to stop "a villainous nobleman from possessing the Sands of Time, a gift from the gods that can reverse time and allow its possessor to rule the world," so says The Hollywood Reporter. The film, of course, is based on the popular video game (which I've personally never played) and, if successful, might turn into a brand new explosive franchise for Disney. Can Disney ultimately find a way to succeed with a video game adaptation where others have failed? And what do you think about Gyllenhaal playing the prince? Arterton as the princess? Good casting choices or completely off course?

Sound off you Persia fanboys (and girls)!
http://www.cinematical.com/2008/05/20/breaking-jake-gyllenhaal-is-the-prince-of-persia/

Cardon

This seems fine to me. He can pull off that playful yet badass angle depending on how the Prince is portrayed in the film.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
That's a terrible choice, Jake Gylenhaal doesn't look Persian at all.

Calcaneus

Oh, fuck this. Bloom fitted in much better.

Recently, I can't think of Gylenhaal without thinking about the poster that has his picture as an avatar.

Its fine. All he has to be able to do is climb, run on walls, and kills sand zombies.

Anyone can play this. Hell Matt Damon wasn't "right" for any action film IMO and he owned the roll of Bourne.

God's Beard said:
What the fuck happened to the actual persian prince? He looked like the prince, and he knew all the necessary skills, WTF.
He is unmoved by this news.
zandi.gif

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
John McCain shot the idea down of even talking with a Persian actor to portray the prince.

Splatt

Snidely Whiplash said:
BREAKING: Jake Gyllenhaal is 'The Prince of Persia'!

Posted May 20th 2008 3:00PM by Erik Davis
Filed under: Action, Casting, Deals, Fandom, Newsstand, Games and Game Movies
See, it's totally NOT Orlando Bloom. Instead, as previously rumored, Jake Gyllenhaal has landed the lead role in The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time for director Mike Newell, Walt Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer. Remember how we told you to expect both leads to be announced at the same time? Well, starring opposite Gyllenhaal will be ... Gemma Arterton. Yes, that random up-and-comer who recently nabbed a role in the new James Bond flick, Quantum of Solace.

In the film, Gyllenhaal will play Dastan, a young Prince who teams with an exotic princess named Tamina (Arterton) on a mission to stop "a villainous nobleman from possessing the Sands of Time, a gift from the gods that can reverse time and allow its possessor to rule the world," so says The Hollywood Reporter. The film, of course, is based on the popular video game (which I've personally never played) and, if successful, might turn into a brand new explosive franchise for Disney. Can Disney ultimately find a way to succeed with a video game adaptation where others have failed? And what do you think about Gyllenhaal playing the prince? Arterton as the princess? Good casting choices or completely off course?

Sound off you Persia fanboys (and girls)!
http://www.cinematical.com/2008/05/20/breaking-jake-gyllenhaal-is-the-prince-of-persia/

MV5BMjE2NDIyNzkwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTM4OTI4._V1._SY400_SX600_.jpg

This is based on the videogame? Really?

There is not much of a storyline to base it on.

The continuation of videogame to movie adaptions is amazing considering the failure rate. But I guess there have been some successes.

How many game movies do we have in the pipeline right now? Price of Persia, Bioshock, Max Payne, . . . ?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
speculawyer said:
This is based on the videogame? Really?

There is not much of a storyline to base it on.

The continuation of videogame to movie adaptions is amazing considering the failure rate. But I guess there have been some successes.

How many game movies do we have in the pipeline right now? Price of Persia, Bioshock, Max Payne, . . . ?

Well.. Buckheimer did adapt an amusement machine to a mega successful movie franchise.

I'm not really seeing how a guy with Swedish family history can be the Prince of "Persia".

Furthermore,

Jake.jpg

...as...

prince-of-persia-2.jpg

...does not compute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom