• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'PSP will elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming ghetto'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy

Banned
From the PSP's CES presentation: "PSP will elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming ghetto and Sony is the only company that can do it. Dare I say, the baton has been passed." -Kaz Hirai, CEO of SCEA

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
well phrased. ridge racers and lumines aren't simply "good for handheld games"; they're among the best games in their respective genres, across all platforms. sony's ambition has already changed the category.

john tv

Sony is doing to Nintendo the exact same thing they did with PS1. Nintendo already dropped the ball once -- this is their second (and last) chance to retaliate properly. If they don't, Sony's going to wipe them out again.

Frankly, I don't believe Nintendo is prepared to compete. We'll see.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"From the PSP's CES presentation: "PSP will elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming ghetto and Sony is the only company that can do it. Dare I say, the baton has been passed." -Kaz Hirai, CEO of SCEA"

Handheld gaming ghetto? Jesus christ.

i dunno, Kaz Hirai strikes me as a classless gobby prick. As much as the PSP is great, he might want to check out those JPN DS vs PSP sales figures.

Perhaps the PSP will win out, i'll guess it will , but they could learn something from Nintendo about handling a launch.

jarrod

Banned
drohne said:
well phrased. ridge racers and lumines aren't simply "good for handheld games"; they're among the best games in their respective genres, across all platforms. sony's ambition has already changed the category.
This is any different from Advance Wars, Yoshi's Island or Wario Ware? Besides visual acceleration, what has PSP done to fundamentally elevate handheld gaming out of this fictional ghetto?

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Ridge Racer felt archaic when it was released in 1993. If that's the future of videogames I'll pass.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Izzy said:
From the PSP's CES presentation: "PSP will elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming ghetto and Sony is the only company that can do it. Dare I say, the baton has been passed." -Kaz Hirai, CEO of SCEA

That's awesome. Yes, handheld gaming has been a ghetto for years, and had there been any real competition, we'd be playing shit like Quake III on our handhelds back in 2001.

DSN2K

15369-01CP.jpg

AniHawk

jarrod said:
This is any different from Advance Wars, Yoshi's Island or Wario Ware? Besides visual acceleration, what has PSP done to fundamentally elevate handheld gaming out of this fictional ghetto?

And away we go!

Deg

Banned
drohne said:

Boring games with good graphics = good?

Master Z

jarrod said:

Can I put my favorite music on the DS and use it like an mp3 player? No.
Can I watch movies on the DS? No.

The reason why PSP is on such a higher level then DS is because not only will it provide the best graphics of any handheld, but it's also a multimedia device and very affordable. The PSP makes the DS look like it was released 2 years ago.

Gattsu25

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
have you played them?

No, but playing a game is never required to hate on one.

The PSP makes the DS look like it was released 2 years ago.

I find this quote funny for some reason...it's obviously worded to flame the DS...but it has more than a grain of truth

jarrod

Banned
Master Z said:
Can I put my favorite music on the DS and use it like an mp3 player? No.
Can I watch movies on the DS? No.
You can with a $40 SD card adapter.

Master Z said:
The reason why PSP is on such a higher level then DS is because not only will it provide the best graphics of any handheld, but it's also a multimedia device and very affordable. The PSP makes the DS look like it was released 2 years ago.
Sure, but only do to the visual acceleration, not tacked on multimedia fluff. GBA/DS have the exact same features with an optional add-on.

nubbe

Software sales will speak for themselves, whether Sony can broaden game penetration or if they will just have the currently hip “multimedia machine”

ge-man

Typical vauge PR. How in the hell is portable gaming in a ghetto when the GB has been so successful? But people on both sides are going to take this quote seriously in spite of its silliness.

Gattsu25

Banned
jarrod said:
You can with a $50 SD card adapter.

Very true, still suprised they got this to work on the SP, though I guess the GBA video series should have been a big hint

jarrod said:
Sure, but only do to the visual acceleration, not tacked on multimedia fluff.

Actually, the quality of the 'multimedia fluff' is a huge part of the PSP's appeal to me

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
DCharlie said:
As much as the PSP is great, he might want to check out those JPN DS vs PSP sales figures.

What relevance do the sales figures have when they represent selling out available hardware?

Acosta

The "handheld" ghetto must be really big... why the hell all the newcomers trait handheld gaming as something "obscure" that players are shamed about. I refuse that view of things, I have seen excelent games in handhelds all this years since Game Boy and I never have hidden my portable system.

I don´t believe Sony will "win" at all, the PSP was launched at the same window that DS in Japan and did nothing to steal the thunder. Its awesomeness didn´t convince all that people to wait for avaliable systems even being so much powerful and having a fantastic price. At very best, Sony will find its market and Nintendo will keep their one in a good porcentage.

There is a place for two handhelds so differents in this market. How anyone want one to destroy the other it´s beyond my imagination.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Besides visual acceleration, what has PSP done to fundamentally elevate handheld gaming out of this fictional ghetto?

Its shiny and black, and has a big screen and the name SONY on the front.

Sad, but I think that + pretty graphics will mean a lot to the mainstream.

And I agree with John TV's comments 100%

Gattsu25

Banned
Gaijin To Ronin said:
There is a place for two handhelds so differents in this market. How anyone want one to destroy the other it´s beyond my imagination.

I don't want one to destroy the other...I just want the handheld market to get a long-needed kick in the ass. For the first time in what seems like forever, competition is finally driving the market forward.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
jarrod said:

graphics, of course, but also sound, display quality, controls, and the abundance of content optical media permits. sound is a really big one. moving from gba to psp is, in fact, an object lesson in just how much sound matters.

certainly there are gba games that are of such fundamental quality that they overwhelm the compromises imposed by bad hardware -- e.g. advance guardian heroes has such strong mechanics that perhaps you don't mind the poor visuals, poor sound, and relative lack of content. they're really good if you don't hold them to the same standards as console games. they're "really good for handheld games." this is precisely a ghetto. with psp, portable games are no longer subject to such harsh compromises. consequently, ridge racers and lumines feel like something new.

Forsete

Gold Member
I really hope Sony succeeds, its time for Nintendos ancient hardware to die. Keep pushing the technology instead of keeping us imprisoned in 1993!

gunstarhero

"Visual acceleration" is a BIG factor for most - plus add the fact that you now have a portable movie player and MP3 player in one nice looking unit... well, I can see the relevence to this "ghetto" statement.

I own a DS - and just played the PSP for a couple of days thanks to a lucky friend of mine, and I gotta say - my DS is already starting to fade from my memory... though I'm sure that will change when some new games come out, you cant deny the PSP's "cool" factor and why it seems like the PSP is the one that is getting the handheld market out of the ghetto.

I'll own and play both - so teh winnar is me. :D

DCharlie

"What relevance do the sales figures have when they represent selling out available hardware?"

Well, for a start, it shows which of the two companies knows how to handle a launch better.
The PSP situation is farcical.

btw, it now seems that Sony stock on their site, but still the stores have nothing - i'm sure the retailers are happy about that :(

Master Z

jarrod said:
You can with a $40 SD card adapter.

Will it make the DS's video playback as good as the PSP? I have not yet personally witnessed the DS's video capabilities. Even so, the PSP's screen is so much better I wouldn't even bother trying to watch movies on a DS, but hey that's me.

jarrod said:
Sure, but only do to the visual acceleration, not tacked on multimedia fluff. GBA/DS have the exact same features with an optional add-on.

Yeah, an add-on. PSP does it right out the box. And to me it's not just "tacked on multimedia fluff" those are important features that make PSP that much more appealing.

Anybody who's owned a GBA and played some of its best games wouldn't call handheld gaming the ghetto of the industry. That's all I have to say about that.

Deg

Banned
The mp3 and movie player thing is going to be very limited. Its already been pushed in the past but people will stick to smaller/cheaper cards. What is needed is HD.

Yeah, an add-on. PSP does it right out the box. And to me it's not just "tacked on multimedia fluff" those are important features that make PSP that much more appealing.

Memory sticks arent exactly appealing however. SD's are cheaper. But its still not going to be abig thing at all.

DCharlie

"Yeah, an add-on. PSP does it right out the box. And to me it's not just "tacked on multimedia fluff" those are important features that make PSP that much more appealing."

it does it out of the box if you get a value pack to the tune of 32 meg.

if not, you still have to go and buy an "add on" (memory stick), the same as the DS (well, sort of)

Deg

Banned
DCharlie said:
"Yeah, an add-on. PSP does it right out the box. And to me it's not just "tacked on multimedia fluff" those are important features that make PSP that much more appealing."

it does it out of the box if you get a value pack to the tune of 32 meg.

if not, you still have to go and buy an "add on" (memory stick), the same as the DS (well, sort of)

I dont think people would mind but its a hassle and its extra cost to them. Mp3 player manufacturers have tried this in the past. Mobile Phones have these features now. But people are not that interested.

drohne said:
graphics, of course, but also sound, display quality, controls, and the abundance of content optical media permits. sound is a really big one. moving from gba to psp is, in fact, an object lesson in just how much sound matters.

certainly there are gba games that are of such fundamental quality that they overwhelm the compromises imposed by bad hardware -- e.g. advance guardian heroes has such strong mechanics that perhaps you don't mind the poor visuals, poor sound, and relative lack of content. they're really good if you don't hold them to the same standards as console games. they're "really good for handheld games." this is precisely a ghetto. with psp, portable games are no longer subject to such harsh compromises. consequently, ridge racers and lumines feel like something new.

GBA games like Advance Wars, Aria of Sorrow, Mega Man Zero 3, etc. aren't just "good for handheld games". They're good for games, period. Are you saying that because GBA games have inferior graphics and sound to console games that they are less fun to play?

Deg

Banned
RE4 vs. SH4 said:
GBA games like Advance Wars, Aria of Sorrow, Mega Man Zero 3, etc. aren't just "good for handheld games". They're good for games, period. Are you saying that because GBA games have inferior graphics and sound to console games that they are less fun to play?

Its all about the graphics and weak gameplay, fool.

Gattsu25

Banned
RE4 vs. SH4 said:

rolleyes-big.gif

duckroll

jarrod said:

Advance Wars is not a better strategy game than what's available on the PSX/PS2 imo. Front Mission 3, FFT, and the Nippon Ichi games blow it away in terms of content, length, storytelling and micromanagement clearly, not just in visuals and sound.

Yoshi's Island is a SNES game made portable.

Wario Ware on the GC is better than Wario Ware on the GBA/DS.

The clear difference is:

Lumines is one of the best puzzle games ever made, in being long-lasting, having tons of unlockables, having awesome visual and audio sync while being intense and challenging in SEVERAL play modes. Compare Lumines across any platform portable or home console and it stacks up as one of the best.

Ridge Racers is probably the best Ridge Racer game ever made imo. It has nods to all the previous games in the series by remaking tracks from each of the games while adding new visuals and original design to them. It has the MOST tracks (24, 12 normal - 12 reversed), the MOST music and it isn't a port. The nitro feature adds boost to Ridge Racer never before done and changes the way to play it.

The engine is rebuilt from ground up and looks even better than RRV on the PS2. There are tons of cars, a shitload of tours and many many unlockable cars with great designs and at the end of it all you can unlock machine design pics as well as the openings for Rave Racer, Ridge Racer Type 4 and Ridge Racer V. It also has an original CG intro that's more than comparable to the console counterparts and original music as well while retaining many old favorites.

The game is also packed with features made just for portable gaming, you can customize a tour and define how long you want the it to last to play on the go when you know how long you'll be travelling, and there's 8 players multiplayer over wifi.

To compare Ridge Racers and Lumines to games like Advance Wars, Yoshi's Island and Wario Ware (which are all great games in their own right) is to compare the Game Cube getting MGS The Twin Snakes with the PS2 getting MGS3 imo. It just isn't a fair comparison, completely different leagues.

RE4 vs SH4 said:

No we're saying that while GBA and PSP games might be just as fun in the "fun" quantifier, PSP games can be both AS FUN -and- 1000 times better looking and better sounding. If you say that doesn't matter one bit, you have issues.

duckroll said:
Advance Wars is not a better strategy game than what's available on the PSX/PS2 imo. Front Mission 3, FFT, and the Nippon Ichi games blow it away in terms of content, length, storytelling and micromanagement clearly, not just in visuals and sound.

Yoshi's Island is a SNES game made portable.

Wario Ware on the GC is better than Wario Ware on the GBA/DS.

The clear difference is:

Lumines is one of the best puzzle games ever made, in being long-lasting, having tons of unlockables, having awesome visual and audio sync while being intense and challenging in SEVERAL play modes. Compare Lumines across any platform portable or home console and it stacks up as one of the best.

Ridge Racers is probably the best Ridge Racer game ever made imo. It has nods to all the previous games in the series by remaking tracks from each of the games while adding new visuals and original design to them. It has the MOST tracks (24, 12 normal - 12 reversed), the MOST music and it isn't a port. The nitro feature adds boost to Ridge Racer never before done and changes the way to play it.

The engine is rebuilt from ground up and looks even better than RRV on the PS2. There are tons of cars, a shitload of tours and many many unlockable cars with great designs and at the end of it all you can unlock machine design pics as well as the openings for Rave Racer, Ridge Racer Type 4 and Ridge Racer V. It also has an original CG intro that's more than comparable to the console counterparts and original music as well while retaining many old favorites.

The game is also packed with features made just for portable gaming, you can customize a tour and define how long you want the it to last to play on the go when you know how long you'll be travelling, and there's 8 players multiplayer over wifi.

To compare Ridge Racers and Lumines to games like Advance Wars, Yoshi's Island and Wario Ware (which are all great games in their own right) is to compare the Game Cube getting MGS The Twin Snakes with the PS2 getting MGS3 imo. It just isn't a fair comparison, completely different leagues.

No we're saying that while GBA and PSP games might be just as fun in the "fun" quantifier, PSP games can be both AS FUN -and- 1000 times better looking and better sounding. If you say that doesn't matter one bit, you have issues.

The GBA games may not be the best games ever for their respective genres. The question was, were they any less fun to play because of their grahpics and sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom