• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2008 Assignment 44 : Depth Of Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebus

Theme: Depth Of Field

Submissions are due by Sunday, July 6th at 11:59pm EST.

Voting begins Monday July 7th and ends on Tuesday, July 8th at 11:59pm EST.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

Note: Try to use Depth of Field to enhance your image/subject.

mrkgoo

Congrats to the last winner! Apologies, it has been a hectic weekend for me.

A technical challenge! I was wondering when we would get one like this. I know some people will pipe up about having small digicams and so forth, but hopefully this will encourage people to learn and seek out what they can do with their equipment.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

Depth of field is the range of distance within the subject that is acceptably sharp.

I know the theme is always open to interpretation, but Jebus are you referring specifically here to minimal depth of field? I mean, I used to shoot a lot of landscape photos stopped down to f/22 or beyond to maximize depth of field, and thus have every element in the scene in focus from a few feet in front of the lens to the horizon, but somehow I don't think that's what you're going for here.

SickBoy

I was thinking the exact same thing... (my guess is that the challenge is intended to use a minimal DOF, though)

Dkong

Since when is the point to do what is intended in these assignments? Pocket cameras have superior depth of field strengths, just in the opposite way of what most of you think about when demonstrating depth of field. I will vote on any stunning photo that uses the most appealing depth of field to make that shot good.

Jebus said:
Yep sorry should have been more clear. Minimal depth of field is the idea.
Great, the reason I brought it up was sometimes I've heard people here comment on a selective focus, shallow DOF picture and say something like "Great depth of field!" but that's just one end of the DOF spectrum.

mrkgoo

Lucky Forward said:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

I know the theme is always open to interpretation, but Jebus are you referring specifically here to minimal depth of field? I mean, I used to shoot a lot of landscape photos stopped down to f/22 or beyond to maximize depth of field, and thus have every element in the scene in focus from a few feet in front of the lens to the horizon, but somehow I don't think that's what you're going for here.

I read it as maximum, but know he meant minimum. Hey, was it you or AirBrian who has the 85 1.2L? We need to compete with that!

Just some handy hints for maximising narrow DOF effects:

Distance to subject: The closer you are to your subject the narrower the DOF. Macro shots tend to be hard to get a large DOF. Something digicams might be better at than SLRs! You can simulate this with a longer focal length too.

Distance between subject and background: the larger this distance, the more blurry the background gets.

Aperture: Wider aperture narrows the DOF. People with digicams should check to see if they have an AV or M mode.

AirBrian said:
And mrkgoo, it has to be Lucky who has that lens because I shoot with a Nikon.
Yes, I have the 85 1.2L.

Hey....wait a minute....now that you mention it, maybe I can use it for this assignment!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
how does this work? I haven't participated in these before and I am a total n00b with my camera.

Just one submission, or can I replace my submission prior to the deadline?

I have not used the depth of field options before so this should be interesting

Jebus

scola said:
how does this work? I haven't participated in these before and I am a total n00b with my camera.

Just one submission, or can I replace my submission prior to the deadline?

I have not used the depth of field options before so this should be interesting

Yes just 1 submission per person, and you are able to edit your post to replace your submission anytime before Sunday, July 6th at 11:59pm EST.

Also just as a reminder to everyone, re-size your image to 800 pixels on the longest side before posting.

Welcome to the comp

caterpillar.jpg

Canon A720 IS. Program mode with auto white balance, exposure, etc. Macro focus. I used gimp to smudge out some really obnoxious white spots.

okay dude, thats awesome. now hand over the adorable kitten to me :(

man, photography is something ive always admired but was never able to do myself. i just dont "get it" :(

joshschw

effingvic said:
okay dude, thats awesome. now hand over the adorable kitten to me :(

man, photography is something ive always admired but was never able to do myself. i just dont "get it" :(

You just have to do it a lot first, and eventually you realize what works and it just clicks sometimes.

I think I;m going to wat until my new lenses get here for this one :)

mrkgoo

joshschw said:
You just have to do it a lot first, and eventually you realize what works and it just clicks sometimes.

I think I;m going to wat until my new lenses get here for this one :)

Do tell ... what lens?

Lucky: With your eye and that lens - a killer combo for this assignment!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Are we supposed to post stats with the picture?

I'll add it to the post too. I used a

Code:
Lens:            Canon 50mm f/1.4 Prime Lens

Exposure:  	0.05 sec (1/20)
Aperture:       f/1.4
Focal Length: 	50 mm
ISO Speed: 	100

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Great shots so far! I have a feeling this is going to be one of my favourite assignments yet!

I've got an idea, no I just need the material....

deadbeef

BlueTsunami said:
Here my submission!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3015/2609070395_13d18c1307.jpg

Larger: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3015/2609070395_13d18c1307_b.jpg

Code:
Lens:            Canon 50mm f/1.4 Prime Lens

Exposure:  	0.05 sec (1/20)
Aperture:       f/1.4
Focal Length: 	50 mm
ISO Speed: 	100

I like this alot. The color composition is nice, as the background blends seamlessly into the cat's fur. There's not a clear point where it's "Ok, here is where the camera is focusing"

Very good.

I've been away doing home renovations for the last month and a bit, so I've had to drag my ass back into gear for the assignment. I hope the idea comes across :)

DSC_2756a.jpg

50mm f/1.4 at f/2.8
Shutter speed: 1/2500 sec
ISO Sensitivity: 100
No flash
No post

Jebus

aparisi2274 said:
I Didnt post a pic this round, but shit I am throwing my vote behind nitewulf!!!

ScientificNinja said:
So how long to the deadline? (I'm in a totally different time zone)

Hey guys don't get ahead of yourselves just yet haha.

Submissions are due by Sunday, July 6th at 11:59pm EST.

This one is a bit longer than the usual assignments. Still heaps of time.

Tf53

2624094567_e4d010f9c3_o.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM
Exposure: 0.04 sec (1/25)
Aperture: f/5
Focal Length: 180 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

Jebus

Tf53 said:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/2624094567_e4d010f9c3_o.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM
Exposure: 0.04 sec (1/25)
Aperture: f/5
Focal Length: 180 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

Before I head to bed I have to say that is a Fan-bloody-tastic shot Tf53. Great idea, and perfectly executed.

Keep them coming everyone, still a week to go.

Tf53

Jebus said:
Before I head to bed I have to say that is a Fan-bloody-tastic shot Tf53. Great idea, and perfectly executed.

Keep them coming everyone, still a week to go.
Thanks, but it was mostly luck. The microphone is actually hanging from the ceiling of a waiting lounge at Frankfurt Airport. I spotted it while waiting for my flight and it looked too good to be ignored. :)

LuCkymoON

Banned
Tf53 said:
Thanks, but it was mostly luck. The microphone is actually hanging from the ceiling of a waiting lounge at Frankfurt Airport. I spotted it while waiting for my flight and it looked too good to be ignored. :)
I would've never guessed that.

McSpidey

Battle!
PlayingChessFramedWeb.jpg

He's not much interested in the traditional rules and I think he wishes they had lasers and moving parts ;)
40D, 50MM F1.4 @ F3.5, 5 Seconds.

joshschw

Tried to get one where the depth of field is the first thing you notice. Now I did take one totally out of focus and just is bokeh, and it's kind of cool. But, I thought that was kind of an half-assed way to the assignment.

This is with one of my "new" lenses. A Takumar SMC 135mm f/2.5 in M42 mount. I did buy a film camera to go with the lenses I got but it actually has not arrived yet, just the M42->Canon adapter did.

EDITED out because I changed my entry: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/2632696344_2f8c7bfc32_o.jpg

Taken wide open at f/2.5.

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Focal length: 50 mm
Exposure time: 1/160 second
Aperture: f/8
ISO: 100
Post Processing: Crop, color curves, adjust levels, bump up saturation, unsharp mask, resize in GIMP.
What I was smoking: My intent here was to use the shallow DOF to add meaning to the shot. So I juxtaposed the in-focus flower against the out-of-focus cars.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Daaaaaaaamn. This assignment has been incredible so far. I'm really going to have to step up my game!

Hopefully I'll be able to get my act together and produce the idea I have in my head!

Xun

A little generic, but I really wanted to go with something incredibly basic.

Click to get bigger.

Camera: Canon EOS 400D Digital
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 149 mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom