• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Dyack in 1up yours. NeoGAF is "hurting society," justifies having it shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlan

... and basically sounds like a douche.

This week's 1UP Yours is unlike any we've ever released before. That's not to say our regular great content isn't still there. We've got lengthy Whatchya Been Playing and News segments, including discussion of Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, Quantum of Solace, Diablo III, and Rock Band 2. But after all of that, in a special third segment recorded earlier this week, we sit down in the studio with Denis Dyack of Silicon Knights.

Dyack's next game project, Too Human, is nearing release, but the game and its recent round of previews (check out 1UP's right here) aren't in the spotlight so much as Dyack himself. He recently faced a round of criticism when he showed up on the popular NeoGAF forums and issued a challenge to forum goers to speak out for or against his game. Unknown to us, though, Dyack claims he actually did this as preparation for his appearance on 1UP Yours, which he explains on this week's episode.

According to Dyack, the infamous NeoGAF thread was started as an experiment to expose the lack of accountability in online forums. "I was basically calling out people who had no way of assessing the game," Dyack says, adding, "All I wanted to point out to people is that this is so ridiculous." Near the end of the segment, he lays out exactly why he made the post:

"I went through all of this for two reasons.... If you're going to look at the NeoGAF forum as a non-profit organization, if it does not reform itself, it's eventually going to crumble. There's going to be a point where they step over the line where someone's going to shut them down. That would be a loss for everyone.... The question I have to ask the moderators of GAF: Are you going to follow your own rules? With people making GIFs of myself that are, I would say, attacking me.... Why haven't 180 people been banned now? If I wanted to move in and shut that place down, do I have grounds under their own forum policy?"

Dyack concludes, "NeoGAF and other forums like this that don't have good management are not only hurting society and hurting the videogame industry, they're in decline, and they need to reform quickly before people stop listening to them.... If the moderators and people who run the site think they aren't doing any damage, they are sorely mistaken, and it's only a matter of time before something bad happens."

The NeoGAF forum has become known as a destination for snarky videogame discussion as well as lightning-fast news and rumors from around the industry. Though it's difficult to explain in a succinct news post, Dyack's ideas about NeoGAF and other forums are based on a lengthy thought process inspired by various sources of philosophy, science fiction, and social theory that Dyack has been reading and exploring of late. As such, we highly recommend listening to the full interview and forming your reactions after hearing him out. For anyone interested in further reading, we've put together a list of links to articles that are mentioned in the episode as well as links to the Amazon listings for books Dyack discussed.

Listen to the full episode of 1UP Yours here or subscribe to our podcast feed via iTunes.

2cfwd4x.gif

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168552

Denis Dyack is just looking out for GAF. Doesn't want to see it get shut down. :lol

Denis secretly wants to shut down GAF for the collective ownage he received this past week

wow that's pretty fucking lame. i was kind of starting to like him to.

dick head. "waah waah he made a face at me i'm gonna go tell teacher!"

Dyack concludes, "NeoGAF and other forums like this that don't have good management are not only hurting society and hurting the videogame industry, they're in decline, and they need to reform quickly before people stop listening to them.... If the moderators and people who run the site think they aren't doing any damage, they are sorely mistaken, and it's only a matter of time before something bad happens."

I wish GAF had that kind of influence on the industry, I really do.

Any bets on how long it takes before Denis Dyack files a lawsuit against GAF? :lol

He's taking this shit pretty personally. He only has himself to blame.

Stench

Banned
Dyack's ideas about NeoGAF and other forums are based on a lengthy thought process inspired by various sources of philosophy, science fiction, and social theory that Dyack has been reading and exploring of late.
You've got to be kidding me.

I swear, this fucking clown is the biggest goddamned poser.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So basically, he's backing off of the whole thing and calling it some sort of social action on the part of persecuted developers everywhere.

... which would be great, except GAF is home to developers (and journalists) who are criticized just as harshly as Dyack, and didn't ask to be rescued.

Dyack has made himself a public figure. Public figures can be criticized and even slammed by the public. There is legal precedent for this and it is well established.

Nobody is going to shut this place down.

Fascist.

:lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Microsoft has got to reel this guy in.

let's see which gaffers have battered wife syndrome

He has a point that there are asshats here who make ungrounded claims about games, and Too Human has probably been the biggest victim of those sort of asshats here at GAF because it's the "cool thing" to bash Too Human here, and it does suck for Silicon Knights that it is that way. But he does sound like a whiner there and I think he's being a little too general. GAF is going to be the downfall of society? Will GAF's antics against Too Human hurt the games sales? They probably will, the antics against the game have been pretty hardcore, and he has a point. But I think he goes a bit too far.

laserbeam

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
So basically, he's backing off of the whole thing and calling it some sort of social action on the part of persecuted developers everywhere.

... which would be great, except GAF is home to developers (and journalists) who are criticized just as harshly as Dyack, and didn't ask to be rescued.

I wouldnt say that theres people who get banned for insulting games around here even when they are totally accurate in what they say about the companies or games

AAK

Eternal Darkness is good..... I don't have anything else nice to say to you Dyack. You brought all of this on to yourself.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
newsguy said:
:lol

Any publicity is good publicity. GAF is the shit pretty much.
dude went on a podcast and whined about gaf being a not-for-profit social disaster. Owned by GAF indeed.

Looks like he escaped from Microsoft's chamber underneath.

God, this guy is so annoying. He makes Itagaki sound like a peacemaker.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
v2td3p.gif

really, this site is 100x more readable than say, any comment section on any game blog/official forum/game faqs type forum.

Dyack's ideas about NeoGAF and other forums are based on a lengthy thought process inspired by various sources of philosophy, science fiction, and social theory that Dyack has been reading and exploring of late.

So that's where he's been spending all his time instead of...oh...making a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom