• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: core gamers are not my problem

Lock if this has already been posted, didn't see it and search is down.

Source

Nintendo’s E3 press conference had some highlights. Overall, however, Nintendo presented a very limited number of “hardcore” games. There was no new Zelda title, barely any mention of Mario, and even the upcoming Wario Land was absent. Reggie Fils-Aime on the other hand, strongly believes that Nintendo has enough games at this year’s E3 to support the core gamer. In a brief interview on G4 following Nintendo’s media briefing, Fils-Aime explained, “How could you feel left out? The Animal Crossing that we’ve been hearing about that people wanted. Fully connected to the Internet, go to other people’s towns. Plus as I said, Grand Theft Auto on the DS. How do you feel left out with those types of announcements?”

Fils-Aime also commented about Kid Icarus for Wii, but essentially dodged the subject: “You know, we never said he was coming. We’ve all seen the rumors and all of what we see as the desires that consumers want. Make no mistake, Mr. Iwata said quite clearly: Mario teams, Zelda teams are working, they’re bringing product out for Wii this generation. We’re going to continue to bring all our best franchises to both of our key platforms and continue driving that experience both core as well as brand new consumers.”

Hoo boy...

rakka

lol.gif

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
That's because none of those games involved a trite adventure about me saving the world as a 14 year old brat that gets the girl.

Deku

Banned
Having a Mario or Zelda title on show does not make it a hardcore gamer title. It's a Nintendo hardcore title.

What they needed to show was a slate of games, lots of variety, maybe WiiWare announcements with risklier low volume titles that may appeal to the more hardcore crowd. None of that happened.

These clueless fantard journalists really need to stop with the crying over Zelda and Mario screwing with their hardcore expectations.

Duderz

Banned
Reminds me of Nintendo's last conference when they basically reiterated how strong their online presence is, and that no one seems to be looking.

It's really starting to seem like Nintendo is losing the idea of what core gamers want.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Been posted in the conference thread and other threads.

Watch the video of his answer if you can find it, never seen the man so defensive about one answer. It was incredible

I loved in the G4 interview--- them asking him about Kid Icarus and he was like.... "Not my problem.gif" about the rumor that was started.

I think Nintendo could start a new revolution of viral game making by actually producing what is rumored and making it kick ass.

Either way, I will say it is impressive that they got GTA on the DS, but come on Reg, we need GTA on the Wii sir.

MisterHero

I feel left out when T2/Rockstar say that Wii isn't a system for GTA but peddle GTAmini for DS. No CoD4 for Wii but one for DS. No Assassin's Creed for Wii but some pseudogame on DS. Ugh.

But the world goes on. Somebody will take advantage of the openings in Wii's library. Hopefully. :lol

Jiggy

“How could you feel left out? The Animal Crossing that we’ve been hearing about that people wanted. Fully connected to the Internet, go to other people’s towns. Plus as I said, Grand Theft Auto on the DS. How do you feel left out with those types of announcements?”
Don't like Animal Crossing's gameplay, don't like Grand Theft Auto's gameplay or thematic. That was easy. :(

bridegur

It's his job to say that, but he could have saved himself and everyone else a lot of trouble by not promising actual games at E3. That is if he's not so out of touch to think that Animal Crossing is somehow a "core" game. It barely qualifies as a game, for crying out loud.

Yes, because hardcore gamers want to type in friend codes. "Go to other peoples' towns" is not "fully connected to the internet."

And GTA DS is lol. My guess is that the graphics will be in shitty 3D.

USD

My big question is, "Where are the new IPs?" Nintendo's idea of new IPs is a bunch of WiiDoShit games. And Excite Truck.

Linkhero1

Jiggy37 said:
Don't like Animal Crossing's gameplay, don't like Grand Theft Auto's gameplay or thematic. That was easy. :(
What gameplay? :lol

jk but seriously I agree with you. I don't find any of the two interesting. I guess Warioland and Kirby are all we have for the rest of 08 :(

I'm not sure Reggie is on the same page as the core gamers. Nintendo basically went on stage today and gave them the finger. lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
viakado said:
oh boy. its like a vicious cycle. once you reach the top, you're disconnected with your audience.

The problem was that Nintendo won by being disconnected with the audience.

TekunoRobby said:
He sounds so defensive about the issue.

Well he's defensive because Nintendo (as a whole) doesn't have a stance on them making such awesome games. We expect them to pump out 10-20 games a year (First party) but they know they can trickle the games out whenever they want.

Petrae

Deku said:
What they needed to show was a slate of games, lots of variety, maybe WiiWare announcements with risklier low volume titles that may appeal to the more hardcore crowd. None of that happened.

Thank you. The press event failed to mention WiiWare even once. Why? We already know that the Virtual Console has been flushed down the toilet, but WiiWare is still new. Why wasn't it even mentioned or addressed?

MGrant

Sorry, Reg. Virtual Zen Garden with Animals is not a hardcore game. It is fun, it is relaxing, but not hardcore. And maybe some folks would be excited about GTA DS if you showed more than a logo.

If this means that Animal Crossing is what Nintendo meant by saying they'd be satisfying the Hardcore this Fall then all is truly lost... :lol

M74

Never thought after 2006 I would say this, but:

Nintendo is officially more out-of-touch with reality than Sony is. *gasp*

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Oh, is this the thread where we ignore the avalanche of hardcore Wii games on the show floor?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
2 games.

TWO games. is Animal Crossing even considered hardcore? GTA is, but i hope its not some strategy game that uses the stylus to rally your troops or something crappy like that

Top Bottom