• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Months later, anyone using their SIXAXIS over their DS3?

keyrat

I bought two DS3s from Japan on launch so when the DS3 was released here in the US I had already had some time with them and found myself going back to the SIXAXIS because of the weight. I asked the question then and people thought it preposterous. Now with some time having passed I'd like to know if opinions have changed.

I find myself going back to the SIXAXIS for most every game I play except racers. When I first get a game I usually will use the DS3 just to see how the rumble is working, but for games that I keep playing for long times (Right now MGO, Monsters, and Bionic Commando) I usually fall back to the SIXAXIS because it's lighter, and I play sprawled on the couch, sometimes with my hands over my head. There's something to be said for a lightweight controller.

Anyone else doing the same?

jett

D-Member
You play...with your hands...over your head? You're a special one, aren't you.

To be honest, when I first played Bionic Commando Rearmed, the constant rumbling from the swinging was giving me cramps and I considered switching to my sixaxis(damn game doesn't have a vibration option), but I got used to it.

Darkman M

Im still using the sixaxis only because i dont have a ds3 yet.

Ps. Sixaxis is ass ill be buying a ds3 next big PS3 game that drops.

lupinko

Nope, traded it to Ebgames and got $20 for credit (which I ended up giving to my friend to buy MGS4 as a going away gift).

theBishop

Banned
I keep them around in case my DS3's battery dies or i'm playing local multiplayer. Other than that, i always go to my white Dualshock.

keyrat

jett said:
You play...with your hands...over your head? You're a special one, aren't you.

LOL it sounds kind of odd but since I'm lying down on the couch I'll use my arm as a headrest and the controller follows. Either way, it's the same issue as long as I'm not playing in the traditional hands in your lap position.

Nizz

I kinda wish I would have kept the Sixaxis around to use with games like COD 4, since there's no need for rumble. Plus, the workout the left stick (L3) gets with that game is ridiculous. But the ol' Sixaxis sticks were starting to stick and squeak. I would actually let go of the left stick and the character would keep moving forward onscreen :( Plus I figured since the DS3 will be the default controller from now on, I just adjusted to the weight (not that much heavier), though it took some while to get used to it at first. But now it's smooth sailing...

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
The only game I play with my Sixaxis, is R-Types, because the games doesn't recognise my DS3. Really weird.

Guy Legend

I have one of each, so I use the dualshock 3 for games that have rumble and the sixaxis for ones that don't (mostly COD4 and NHL). Spread the use around.

23w2ou0.jpg

:D

____

I use the DS3 for everything.

I recently ran out of batter on the DS3 and used the SIXAXIS for a game.

Pissed the FUCK off when the BT connection dropped in the middle of a SSHD battle.

I forgot that happens and am grateful that they fixed it with the DS3.

basis

might sound silly but i admit at times reaching for the 6axis for online play.

bad enough that i gotta cope with lag and all, but the deal breaker is that the DS3's vibration strong enough that throws off my aiming... either that or i am holding it too gingerly.

but as _leech_ said - i do keep the DS3 for those titles that support it and that it enhances the play.

Muffdraul

The only reason I didn't smash my SIXAXIS with a sledgehammer the day I got my DualShock 3 is that I'm a sentimental packrat pussy, I keep *everything*. And I don't have a sledgehammer.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
All the time actually for all non-gaming activities (video control etc) and for some games as well. I have grown to like the feel of DS3 analog sticks over the sixaxis, and that's the main reason why I like to use it even for games that don't have rumble support. Had the analogs been the same, I'd use sixaxis for games with no rumble as I like it's lighness.

____

The Faceless Master said:
http://i35.tinypic.com/23w2ou0.jpg

:D

I couldn't come up with words to capture my expression when I saw this, so I'll wait for other responses and see if they can hit it.

M3wThr33

Banned
I love my DS3. The battery life is amazing, too.

After skipping rumble for most of a generation, it's nice to have it back. (Used Wavebird on my Cube and Logitech Wireless on my PS2)

I tossed my SIXAXIS in a drawer and will never use it again. I much prefer the weight of the DS3 over the nothing feel of the SIXAXIS, even if the game doesn't use rumble.

bloodforge said:
I tossed my SIXAXIS in a drawer and will never use it again. I much prefer the weight of the DS3 over the nothing feel of the SIXAXIS, even if the game doesn't use rumble.

Wow. Now I don't have to type. This.

Lain

I haven't even bought a DS3 and frankly I don't plan to. While some (most?) people disliked the sixaxis for its weight (apart from being rumble-less), I really liked that. It is the best thing about it actually for me, as my wrists get less fatigued holding it during those long playing session I sometimes do.

calder

Last night my wife came to ask me if I knew where the controller was. She wanted to play Rock Band but could only find "the old lighter" controller. I asked why she feld she really needed rumble to navigate the menus in RB but she got annoyed assuming I was making a dumb vibrator joke.

I felt it was a great vibrator joke, but I was also honestly curious as to why she would feel the need to find the DS3, it has absolutely no impact on playing RB. Maybe she just assumes that the SIXAXIS must be a poor substitute for the 'proper' controller based on the way I only ever use the DS3 now.

DMczaf said:
swiffer_png.jpg

Come on!

This OP is based on fallacy, as the DS3 isn't that much heavier than than Sixaxis. It's not even the difference between the 360 with the chatpad and without. :|

I use my Sixaxis only when my DS3 is dead since, you know, the charging cable is so dang short.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I still use the six. Rumble doesn't matter to me. The DS3 hurts more when thrown but you can go further with the sixaxis.

keyrat

I AM JOHN! said:
This OP is based on fallacy, as the DS3 isn't that much heavier than than Sixaxis. It's not even the difference between the 360 with the chatpad and without. :|

Well if I'm wrong then so is everyone who claims the DS3 is great because it's heavy.

Feels as light as the almighty SNES pad to me.

neight

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
:lol :lol :lol

notice how there's one little thumbprint spot where i picked it up, while the DS3 is in impeccable shape?
lol I wouldn't call the DS3 impeccable. You've got dirt in all the nooks and crannies. I always clean those with moist q-tips and toothpicks.

gbovo said:
do you live in a bunker?
no, i live in an average apartment in Brooklyn.

BROOKLYN

this is the first time i have picked up that controller since the day i got my DualShock3's in April. It's been sitting on the shelf near the back of my entertainment center since then.

It's also the dustier looking one, the other Sixaxis is not quite as dusty :D

Top Bottom