• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2ch votes on the top 20 video game tracks of all time, you'll never guess the top 3.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
http://nicozon.blog64.fc2.com/?video_id=sm4603463

This is a video series that stems from the 2nd (annual?) "Let's vote for the top 100 best game songs of all time" thread from 2ch (the video series covers the top 300). The video series has been running for quite a while, and the last "episode was uploaded today. I found the results pretty fucking surprising. #2 was actually pretty fucking shocking, IMO. The video has full versions of all songs, I'm too lazy to write them all out, but if you guys hear a song you like I can tell you. Anyway, check it outcho.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Boo at Melodies of Life being so low. It's easily the best FF vocal piece.

sprsk

I'll go one step (2, actually) further and give you the top 5, because you are lazy twirps.

5. Ys II "To make the end of battle"
4. Chrono Cross - Scars of time
3. Baten Kaitos 2 - The Valedictory Elegy
2. Donkey Kong Country 2 - Spiny Barrel Maze(sorry don't know the american title)
1. Dragon Quest 3 - Hero's Challenge

Belfast

Notables (i.e. the ones I recognize :p)

19. Beginning - Castlevania

17. Melodies of Life - FFIX

16. Kingdom of Zeal - Chrono Trigger

15. Pollyanna - Mother

14. One of the Overworld Themes (Wind something) - Chrono Trigger

13. Airship Theme - FFVI

12. Doctor Wily Stage 1 - MM2

11. Metal Gear Main Theme - Metal Gear

9. Mighty Obstacle - Ys: Ark of Napishtim

3. The Valedictory Elegy - Baten Kaitos II

2. ??? - Donkey Kong Country 2

1. ??? - Dragon Quest III

soco

#4 is probably my favorite song from a videogame.

ok #1 & #2 are total shit. they have to be jokes.

Cdammen

FTWer said:
Lemme guess, shitload of Final Fantasy/jRPG tracks & no Western songs.
There's one western song in the top five, but damn... those are some weird picks nonetheless. Japanese gamers really like their RPGs.

And no spOrsk, we're not lazy it just that we can't fast-forward NicoNico videos and it takes ages to load (at least for me).

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
OK, no FFVI Opera in this list is automatic fail. Also, the MGS2 theme is far superior to the MGS1 theme by a mile.

Boogie9IGN

Ike said:
OK, no FFVI Opera in this list is automatic fail.

Absolute truth. Aria de Mezzo Carraterre is the best FF vocal song ever. And most of FF6's ost kicks that list's ass

Edit: AND SHENMUE TOO

Strange to see DKC2 up there, but the soundtrack is fantastic indeed. The nico video loads pretty slow, but I'm really curious to see what track they've chosen. :0

Crocodile

sp0rsk said:
I'll go one step (2, actually) further and give you the top 5, because you are lazy twirps.

5. Ys II "To make the end of battle"
4. Chrono Cross - Scars of time
3. Baten Kaitos 2 - The Valedictory Elegy
2. Donkey Kong Country 2 - Spiny Barrel Maze(sorry don't know the american title)
1. Dragon Quest 3 - Hero's Challenge

I can't use nicovideo so I'm just going to assume song 2 is in fact
Stickerbrush Symphony
. Good taste if so.

sprsk

Crocodile said:
I can't use nicovideo so I'm just going to assume song 2 is in fact
Stickerbrush Symphony
. Good taste if so.

I posted a link for people who can't see Niconico.

R0nn

DKC2
being so high is shocking indeed. Not because the song isn't good, I think it is. More because I can't remember the
DKC series
being popular in Japan.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Wow this is a great list, the first 2 are totally legitimate choices for best vg song ever. though I would've gone with the remake version of that song of DQ3.

I really didn't expect a Sakuraba song to be so high on the list, though.

Stickerbrush Symphony is a masterpiece, whoever said #2 doesn't deserve to be in the list has to be smoking some SERIOUS crack.

watkinzez

R0nn said:
DKC2
being so high is shocking indeed. Not because the song isn't good, I think it is. More because I can't remember the
DKC series
being popular in Japan.

It's the poster child for western games doing well in Japan.
I was expecting reams of RPGs at the top. Nice surprise!

Error

what's so surprising about
DQ3's last boss theme
being #1? not only does DQ3 sports one of the most awesome plot twists ever, but it's also the battle theme that closes the original trilogy, and the fight kicked ass, plus the song is awesome anyway. You people should listen to the SS rendition of the song.

I'm not shocked at it being #1, more shocked at
Stickerbrush Symphony
making the list!

Red Scarlet

I took a wild guess as to what game would be #1, and I was right. You guys calling the song shit do know that Dragon Quest 3 is extremely super adored in Japan, right? It was voted the #1 Famicom game ever created in Japan a couple of years ago, as well, and is the 'source' for that false rumor about Enix being told to not release a Dragon Quest during a work/school day.

Error

Red Scarlet said:
I took a wild guess as to what game would be #1, and I was right. You guys calling the song shit do know that Dragon Quest 3 is extremely super adored in Japan, right? It was voted the #1 Famicom game ever created in Japan a couple of years ago, as well, and is the 'source' for that false rumor about Enix being told to not release a Dragon Quest during a work/school day.
Yep.

best thing about this list? no fucking One Winged Angel in it!

KevinCow

Banned
DKC2, presumably Stickerbrush Symphony, being number 2? I don't care about the rest of the list, that's good enough for me.

Just noticed Baten Kaitos 2 at third. WTF? Did that game even sell?

R0nn

Wow, that boss music from Ys at #9 is awesome.

What are those other weird PC games from Funcom? I assume the one at 20 is a shooter? Others look like RPGs.

Damn the Japanese version of Dracula's Curse has some sweet music.

Oh and I hate..I mean fucking HATE the fuck out of Chrono Trigger. But #14 is one of the best songs I've ever heard on the SNES.

Red Scarlet

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Damn the Japanese version of Dracula's Curse has some sweet music.

They are pretty interesting. I'm more used to the US versions though while I'm playing it.

Here is the song from the remake, which is a much closer version to the original orchestrated song Sugiyama originally composes then are converted to the NES chip or however that goes.

Dragon Quest 3 was the 'finale' of the opening trilogy, which was absolutely huge in Japan. The final battle ending it was probably a humongous event for a ton of players, and why it is #1.

test_account

XP-39C²
Much good music there, thanks for posting this! :)

I remember i played Donkey Kong Country 2 earlier this year, and when i got to that spiny barrel maze stage, i really liked the music, so personally i can understand that this song is high on the list :)

Cartman86

Banned
Win for Chrono Cross and Donkey Kong Country 2 being on the list. Especially DKC2. Chrono Cross by now is well known to have an amazing soundtrack, but DKC2 is often forgotten.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
WOW!!!
Awesome top list! that Chrono Cross theme almost brings me to tears I joke you not. I'd only remove the DQIII songs (#1? seriously...) and kick up Remilia Scarlet's theme up 10 places. Oh and bloody tears or bloodlines > beginning :D

Timber

Bramble Blast is such a very pretty song. I don't like the Smash Brothers version that much but I suppose that added to its popularity.
Really wasn't expecting it to be on there but it definitely deserves to be \o/

Top Bottom