• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*** PSP Native Store / fw.5.00 launch thread ***

Wollan

playstation_store_logo.JPG

***FIRMWARE UP!***

For me this is one of the biggest gaming moments of the year. LittleBigPlanet, Gears 2, Resistance 2 & Lich King are the games I'm looking forward to the most for the run up to Christmas. PSP Store going live though... it's secretly the biggest gaming event this fall. On October 15th the PlayStation Portable will become the portable device we all hoped for back in 2004. The original release of the system was on December 12th 2004 in Japan, The PSP Native Store is now only 1403 days later than it should have been.

On October 15th, 41 million existing handheld units (as of August) will gain access to a system native, direct download store. Already there are plenty of games to pick from with sizes ranging from floppy disc to over a GigaByte+.

I don't like UMD's and I will be glad to get rid of them. In the coming days I will sell off all those games which I currently have a handful of. In conclusion, for me and several of my friends (and a lot more I would think), the PSP will actually become relevant to our gaming habits going forward thanks to firmware 5.00. This thread is here to deal with the initial excitement and impressions, not for the purpose of future updates.

• Video Demonstration @ PS.Blog!

PSPStore850.jpg

PSP Firmware 5.00 details:
- PlayStation Store added (all PSP models)
- Sleeper time function for music playback
- Full screen keyboard
- XMB background redesigned

*** For future updates to the PS(P) Store please see Tanod's weekly thread ***

Available as of October 15th:

003_north-2.gif

UMD Legacy titles:
• Jeanne D'Arc
• Field Commander
• Puzzle Quest
• Parappa the Rapper
• Socom: Fireteam Bravo 2
• Kingdom of Paradise
• Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
• Twisted Metal: Head-On
• WipEout Pure
• MediEvil: Resurrection
• Ape Escape on the Loose
• The Con
• Cube
• Guilty Gear Judgment
• Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
• Hot Shot Golf: Open Tee
• LocoRoco
• NeoPets Petpet Adventures: The Wand of Wishing
• PQ: Practical Intelligence Quotient
• STAR TREK: Tactical Assault
• Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade
• Untold Legends: The Warriors Code
• WTF: Work Time Fun

PSN Exclusive Games:
• Ape Quest
• Beats
• The Cryptics
• echochrome PSP
• flOw
• GO! Puzzle
• Syphon Filter: Combat Ops
• Talkman Travel: Paris
• Talkman Travel: Rome
• Talkman Travel: Tokyo

PSOne Games:
• 2XTreme
• Castlevania: SOTN
• Coolboarders
• Crash Bandicoot
• Crash Bandicoot 2
• Crash Bandicoot: Warped
• Destruction Derby
• Hot Shots Golf 2
• Jet Moto
• Jet Moto 2
• Jumping Flash!
• MediEvil
• Rally Cross
• Rayman
• R-Types
• Spyro the Dragon
• Street Fighter Alpha
• Syphon Filter
• Tekken 2
• Twisted Metal 2
• Warhawk
• Wild Arms
• WipEout

003_eu-2.gif

UMD Legacy titles:
• Burnout Legends
• Burnout Dominator
• Medal of Honor Heroes
• Medal of Honor Heroes 2
• Sid Meier's Pirates!
• Gangs of London
• echochrome micro
• Pursuit Force Platinum
• Killzone Liberation Platinum
• WipEout Pure Platinum
• B-Boy
• Fired up

PSN Exclusive Games:
• Ape Quest
• Beats
• GO! Puzzle
• GO! Sudoku

PSOne Games:
• International Track & Field
• Driver
• Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
• Rayman
• Command and Conquer
• C&C: Red Alert
• Street Skater
• Bishi Bashi Special
• Reel Fishing
• Fade to Black
• Theme Hospital
• Populous: The Beginning
• Destruction Derby
• Kula World
• Cool Boarders
• Crash Bandicoot
• CTR: Crash Team Racing
• Everybody's Golf 2
• Jumping Flash
• MediEvil
• Syphon Filter
• Syphon Filter 3
• WipEout
• Sheep
• G-Police

There's more content on the PSP Store obviously like demos, wallpapers, applications and whatnot. These days a 2GB Memory Stick Duo goes for less than 20$. Cleaning out the fridge ain't a problem either as you can store all your PSP games on your PC/PS3 as long as you have a USB cable.

fanboi

Banned
Congratulation for a enternity in updating this post every week ;>
Im looking at you tanod!

Edit: Yes, great job!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Great job on the thread. Will take a decent of amount of work to keep up but you are the one I would pick for the job.

Wollan

LiquidMetal14 said:
Great job on the thread. Will take a decent of amount of work to keep up but you are the one I would pick for the job.
This thread is here to deal with the initial excitement and impressions, not for the purpose of future updates.

*** For future updates to the PS(P) Store please see Tanod's weekly thread ***
:p

batbeg

I really should upgrade from my 32mb memory card one day... not that the Euro store looks very enticing anyway.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
batbeg said:
I really should upgrade from my 32mb memory card one day... not that the Euro store looks very enticing anyway.
Still 32MB? GET A BIGGER E PEEN! 2GB sticks run you less than 20 USD. Heck, look right and you can find them for free.

More devs should release their psp games [any future games] as downloadable on the story. That way I can spend less time going out to the story. :D

Don

Are they ever going to release Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3 in Europe? I think I remember Crash 2 going up on the store but being taken down again after.

Wollan

Larsen B said:
When an EU user can access the US store (and vice-versa), I will hail our new overlord.
You can right now I believe. The only thing is that you will have to download something from the opposite store when you want to switch back to the other set of games.

batbeg

LiquidMetal14 said:
Still 32MB? GET A BIGGER E PEEN! 2GB sticks run you less than 20 USD. Heck, look right and you can find them for free.

Holy shit, they really are cheap online. I hadn't looked in like a year or two because I was content with UMD games :lol

Come payday, memory stick get. And... maybe Beats and Pirates.

Edit: And Crash!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
PSP supports up to 16GB sticks right?
I might just go all digital now.

Lately I've realized how much space my games take up........ :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Meh, I prefer the physical media. Owning the games truly, plus the thrill of opening up a package and putting the disc in...........still makes me feel like a little kid. :D

This is nice for impulse buys though. I always felt that the PsP was one of the most underrated pieces of hardware ever. I got mine set up with LocationFree and it's ridiculously cool. RemotePlay is great too.

I hope cfw 5.0 is swift. I'm quite excited to finally see a native PSP store but I don't plan to switch from buying disc-based games to DD yet.

Elios83

Wollan said:
You can right now I believe. The only thing is that you will have to download something from the opposite store when you want to switch back to the other set of games.

You can, infact I've downloaded Jeanne D'arc from the US store.
But you can't play american and european games at the same time. You need to activate your PSP for a single account each time. To switch between different accounts it's necessary to install on the memory stick a game downloaded through the account you want to activate.

Any word on how this will effect battery life? Will playing the games off the memory stick increase battery life substantially? I would think that it would.

M3Freak

Banned
Why hasn't Sony added a feature for copying our UMD games to a memory stick?! WHY!? :( I know you can do this with the custom FW, but I don't care for that: I want official support.

I could buy myself a big ass memory stick and just put all my games on it. THAT would be convenient, and I'd play my games much more often.

Wollan

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Any word on how this will effect battery life? Will playing the games off the memory stick increase battery life substantially? I would think that it would.
It increases battery life for those with hacked systems so I would say Yes.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Awesome, I hope these games are cheaper than what they originally retailed for. Also, any word on file size?

mollipen

VanMardigan said:
Meh, I prefer the physical media. Owning the games truly, plus the thrill of opening up a package and putting the disc in...........still makes me feel like a little kid. :D

I agree with that on almost everything BUT the PSP. I hate, hate, HATE actually owning physical copies for the PSP for some reason, and it pisses me off when there's a game that I want but can't buy digitally. I guess I kind of see the PSP as the iPod of gaming, and no way in hell would I be using my iPod if I had to put in a mini-CD for every artist/album I wanted to play.

I'm very excited about it as well!

I hope the press image from Sony means that Hot Shots Open Tee 2 is launching this week.

And Patapon ... even though it's not pictured.

herod

the widespread hacking of the psp platform has made the physical media practically worthless here in the UK.

personally I'd be happy to see UMD die if it meant that the PSP becomes a viable platform for publishers again, god knows there are enough units out there. Shops could simply move over to selling PSN gift cards like iTunes.

Larsen B

Wollan said:
You can right now I believe.

I am hailing our new overlord.

Wollan said:
The only thing is that you will have to download something from the opposite store when you want to switch back to the other set of games.

But without too much enthusiasm.

decon

Tashi0106 said:
Awesome, I hope these games are cheaper than what they originally retailed for. Also, any word on file size?
Don't bet on it. All the saved money will go right down in Sonys pockets. Here in EU, Steam games aren't much cheaper either.

Synless

herod said:
the widespread hacking of the psp platform has made the physical media practically worthless here in the UK.

personally I'd be happy to see UMD die if it meant that the PSP becomes a viable platform for publishers again, god knows there are enough units out there. Shops could simply move over to selling PSN gift cards like iTunes.
Just curious on this, how would DL games stop piracy or even lower it from what it is at now with the physical media?

Wollan said:
I don't like UMD's and I will be glad to get rid of them. In the coming days I will sell off all those games which I currently have a handful of. In conclusion, for me and several of my friends (and a lot more I would think), the PSP will actually become relevant to our gaming habits going forward thanks to firmware 5.00.

To get rid of having to carry around umd's, you could have done something else a while ago.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
PjotrStroganov said:
To get rid of ahving to carry around umd's, you could have done something else a while ago.
A lot of us don't like doing that though, so its nice to have the "official" option.

Another note, the PC PS Store will be down the next few days as they transition to this store.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Elios83 said:
You can, infact I've downloaded Jeanne D'arc from the US store.
But you can't play american and european games at the same time. You need to activate your PSP for a single account each time. To switch between different accounts it's necessary to install on the memory stick a game downloaded through the account you want to activate.
or IOW, good old ripping of UMDs still beats the crap out of the DD store. here's hope for the next version of the store.

Wollan

Synless said:
Just curious on this, how would DL games stop piracy or even lower it from what it is at now with the physical media?
Easiest<------------------------------------>Effort
PS Store > Piracy > UMD/Physical purchases

I don't believe it will stop piracy to any noticeable degree. Those who are already into it will probably continue. But I think it will noticeably increase the amount of purchasers from us who don't pirate.

Synless said:
I see this connects to PSN, does that mean there will be a friends list too?
No.

Cdammen

The European UMD list is weak compared to the US one. It'll get updated but still.

But yeah, I applaud this! Will I buy a PSP for the third time?

Larsen B

I've just realised all the answers about buying from the PSP Store right now all mean buying on the PC and then transferring it. What I am hoping for is the ability to buy US games from my EU PSP through the new PSP Store.

Obviously there's no way of knowing if this is possible before it's released, but I'd prefer not having to mess with PC transfer cables. And I also mean that with regards to keeping stuff I buy when cleaning the fridge.

I'd prefer not buying something through the PSP and then having to use a PC to keep a copy of it anyway instead of being able to easily re-download a purchase again.

Wollan

Larsen B said:
I'd prefer not buying something through the PSP and then having to use a PC to keep a copy of it anyway instead of being able to easily re-download a purchase again.
The PS Store drm is pretty awesome like that. You can redownload a infinite amount of times (unless we are speaking of the movie store).

duckroll

Wollan said:
If you can translate them (or just attain the lists with original spelling) I will put it up.

I don't really want to go through PSN and translate every single PSP title available on it right now. -_-

But I do have this! http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/081009de.html

Remember what I said about upcoming first party PSP games -all- being downloadable some time back?

To further enhance the game line-up of PlayStation Store for PSP, all UMD titles to be released from SCEJ will become available in downloadable version as well at release, first of which is Destroy All Heros 2 to be released on Thursday October 16, 2008.

:)

And to add to that, out of all the upcoming third party PSP games on Sony's TGS site listing, all of them list "disc" as release platform except....

http://www.jp.playstation.com/tgs2008/psp/software/00_06.html

Disc/Download. :eek:

I love playing my games from the stick, I NEVER use the UMD drive for anything but ripping now. However, I will continue to buy retail and rip whenever possible, mainly because I like getting some return on my investment when I am done with the game and trade it in or sell it.

tanod

when is my burrito
Personally, I can't wait until I have access to my friend's list as well. The addition of PSN user names to the PSP along with the Store is a huge deal in itself.

Pretty major redesign.

Top Bottom