• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox360 NXE Dashboard Leaked to the Net!!! But theres a problem

hwalker84

If you should choose to seek out and install this update you are banned from Xbox Live until the official release.

In participation with this program, you should not move your storage device (hard drive, or memory unit if you do not have a hard drive) to any other console as it will also update that console. If an unregistered console is updated with the NXE update, that console will not be able to connect to Xbox LIVE until the NXE has been officially released on November 19th.

Chris R

Well... if its out on the internet and they aren't banning people, why not just release it for everyone now?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The Faceless Master said:
i guess this deserves it's own thread so people know the risk vs reward scenario
Well, there isn't really a risk.

Without Live the Dashboard is pretty pointless, though.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
rhfb said:
Well... if its out on the internet and they aren't banning people, why not just release it for everyone now?
I don't think it's that they are actually banning people, I think it's just that anyone with the NXE is unable to connect to Live.

I installed it, took about 3 seconds using a USB key.

SOOOOOOO much faster. And the HDD loading is SAWEEEEEEET. A lot of the cooler features like Avatars/Parties obviously aren't available to me, but I'm going through a single-player game kick right now, so this is perfect.

Before The Darkness was taking ages to load between sections, and every once in a while I'd get a DDE. Now the loading is miniscule and I don't have to worry about a DDE again :)

If/when I want to play some multiplayer before the 19th I'll just delete the dashboard file. No harm, no foul.

Omar Ismail said:
I installed it, took about 3 seconds using a USB key.

SOOOOOOO much faster. And the HDD loading is SAWEEEEEEET. A lot of the cooler features like Avatars/Parties obviously aren't available to me, but I'm going through a single-player game kick right now, so this is perfect.

Before The Darkness was taking ages to load between sections, and every once in a while I'd get a DDE. Now the loading is miniscule and I don't have to worry about a DDE again :)

If/when I want to play some multiplayer before the 19th I'll just delete the dashboard file. No harm, no foul.

But you can't delete the dashboard file?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Omar Ismail said:
2593790006_bc7872b63c.jpg

PSGames

They really need to just release this shit. Why the fuck are they making us wait until the 19th if it's already finished?

C4Lukins

PSGames said:
They really need to just release this shit. Why the fuck are they making us wait until the 19th if it's already finished?

My guess is you are only getting the console end of the service. Which means, you will get avatars and all that stuff, but on Microsoft's end they do not have all the online integration quite setup yet for the transition. It could also just be purely a marketing thing with it coming out a week before the biggest shopping day of the year, and their marketing is built around that date.

mandiller

PSGames said:

Because they need to make sure all their behind the scenes stuff is up to scratch. Servers and other stuff etc. PLUS they released the beta now to see if there are any problems that need to be fixed before releasing it officially to everyone. If you think about how many 360's there are in the world and then think about releasing an update the might break something onto all of them, that's a bit scary. Best to have a large control group to test it all out now and see if it's working the way it should.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda tempting.. but 19 days isnt that long.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Guled said:
if its officially leaked, why doesn't someone post a link for people willing to take the risk?
I wouldn't even really call it a risk. You can download it and not be able to connect to Live, or you can wait on it. Everyone knows what they're getting.

But I think that links to it are not allowed, since technically, you're only supposed to have it if you got in the Beta.

Ok so I'm considering installing this, but I must play Gears online at launch, I must :)
So I'm thinking of getting a new 120 gig harddrive, I'll put my gt and the NXE onto that and use my old harddrive for playing online, until Nov. 19.

Would this work? Or does the NXE install directly into the Xbox 360's internal memory.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Benghis Khan said:
Ok so I'm considering installing this, but I must play Gears online at launch, I must :)
So I'm thinking of getting a new 120 gig harddrive, I'll put my gt and the NXE onto that and use my old harddrive for playing online, until Nov. 19.

Would this work? Or does the NXE install directly into the Xbox 360's internal memory.
Read the OP:
In participation with this program, you should not move your storage device (hard drive, or memory unit if you do not have a hard drive) to any other console as it will also update that console. If an unregistered console is updated with the NXE update, that console will not be able to connect to Xbox LIVE until the NXE has been officially released on November 19th.

angelfly

Benghis Khan said:

It installs onto the system. It'll be there even if you remove the hd.

Guled

The Faceless Master said:
well, maybe nobody wants to take the risk of a ban for people who fail at using google?
I was just wondering since I thought it wad official (like sony posts their FW online). Its not like I want the update since its not worth losing live over it

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
You guys are more than welcome to update using this, but I wouldn't advise it.

I can't say how permanent the ban is, but when the words "so that we can ensure you aren’t permanently banned" are used in an email to press (regarding innocently swapping hard drives to another console), it might be a good idea to hold off.

angelfly

nicholasbrutal said:

I can't say how permanent the ban is, but when the words "so that we can ensure you aren’t permanently banned" are used in an email to press (regarding innocently swapping hard drives to another console), it might be a good idea to hold off.

That's not how the majority are installing it. Most of us if not all used the normal method of updating.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Flunkie said:
It's only 7MB. Weren't people having to wait 25 minutes to download the NXE?

believe it or not... 7 MB isn't the rest. when you log in to XBL it'll finish off (apparently)

Kibbles

nicholasbrutal said:

If that actually happens... mass suicides!

Falagard

Flunkie said:
It's only 7MB. Weren't people having to wait 25 minutes to download the NXE?

The full NXE is 128mbs, which is mostly Avatar geometry and textures. The 7mb version does not include Avatars.

Flunkie

Banned
Falagard said:
The full NXE is 128mbs, which is mostly Avatar geometry and textures. The 7mb version does not include Avatars.
Yeah, I just read up on it. Seems kind of weird that the update would be separated like that, though.

Just like my 360 wouldn't get along with my monitor over a 1920x1080 VGA resolution, same goes with the 16:10 resolutions.

Greatly disappointed. I hope they fix this (the 1080 VGA update has shown that it works for some and not for others. I imagine that'd be the case here as well.) but doubt there is one. My monitor accepts all these resolutions through VGA from my computer, just not my 360.

But hey, at least there's installs.

Flunkie said:
Yeah, I just read up on it. Seems kind of weird that the update would be separated like that, though.
it's because everything can't fit on the flashrom, so the core of the update goes on the flashrom, while all the extraneous stuff like avatars and image caches go on the HDD/Memory Card

beelulzebub said:
Just like my 360 wouldn't get along with my monitor over a 1920x1080 VGA resolution, same goes with the 16:10 resolutions.

Greatly disappointed. I hope they fix this (the 1080 VGA update has shown that it works for some and not for others. I imagine that'd be the case here as well.) but doubt there is one. My monitor accepts all these resolutions through VGA from my computer, just not my 360.

But hey, at least there's installs.
what monitor?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Great update. I'm just installing Table Tennis now for a test-drive. Lost Odyssey was silky-smooth when I played it from the HDD.

I love this leak. I'm pretty sure I'll live without XBL, although I may regret it when GoW2 comes out (hopefully the single-player will keep me occupied long enough).

Sectus

Well, I went ahead and tried it. Only a 7mb download. Random observations and impressions:
-You need to be online in order to create an avatar. But even if you don't have an avatar, you'll have this generic silhouette of an avatar blocking part of the view. Will probably be an annoyance for people who don't use Live at all (and get the update via a game).

-Generally navigating the interface is not faster than the original dashboard. Actually, going through the icons on the interface is slightly slower. There's also a few artificial delays (quick animations here and there). Certain things seems to be much faster though, like navigating your achievement lists. And I'm fairly sure the game library is finally cached, so that's a billion times faster.

-Graphically it looks plain and... plain. It's an improvement of the original dashboard, but then again the original looked pretty bad in my opinion. Compared to something like PS3, I'd say it's still slower and not as visually appealing.

-Everything in the dashboard is stupidly big. They could easily have had space for 5 or 10 icons on one screen but there's only 3. Navigating the achievement list via the dashboard is just a nuisance because you can't quickly select games. But you can still navigate achievements the old way via the guide.

It feels like it was designed for a 480i resolution with a crappy TV and they didn't bother to make it work well for highres. And the guide seems to be only rendered in low res., probably so it takes less memory while playing games.

-Speaking of the guide, it looks like the old dashboard but it functions like the old guide. You have more options, but almost all of them leads to "This will exit your current session. If you are playing a game, you will lose any unsaved progress." Although the one new feature is for running the disc in the console, or running any game on the console. Which is insanely useful for quickly switching between games.

-The guide button sounds are suspiciously identical to the interface sounds from Resident Evil 1 and 2.

And well, that's it. Of course there's stuff I can't even test like online-related functionality and installing games. The dashboard is definitely better than the old one (especially considering the new quick way of launching games), but it's not such a big advancement as I had expected.

Sectus said:
but it's not such a big advancement as I had expected.

It will be awe inspiring to most, which will lead to positive word of mouth around schools and work. IMO, it'll be great for Xbox.

Top Bottom