• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LocoRoco 2 Official Thread

batbeg

14mucs7.png

RELEASE DATES:
Europe: November 21st
Japan: December 4th
North America: TBA

Official Website (contains some things like wallpapers, screensavers, awesome fucking music etc. as well as a shitty flash demo which I'd best suggest avoiding, as it is not representative of the game) - completing the Mui Mui house apparently lets you unlock something here via a code, probably nothing big, but cute I think

FEATURES:

• 25 new stages
  • A whole host of new mechanics, such as climbing inside shells to destroy thorns, jumping from grass blade to grass blade, swimming underwater, flying on dandelions and a whole lot more (see: TGS trailer)
  • 6 new minigames, including a side-scrolling shooter and one which allows for local multiplayer, as well as an expanded Mui Mui House which can be expanded to a huge house full of furnishings and things for the Mui Mui's to interact with
  • New music that has a new interactive element to it, as well as original music that has been remixed to take advantage of this (the more LocoRoco you collect, the greater the song)
  • New characters, both good and bad, including new LocoRoco, the Mui Mui King, Bui Bui's, and more
  • More replayability with new items to collect, and a quest option to dive into the levels for more challenges
  • 45 cutscenes which dive into the silly story behind the games
  • Secret ending if you complete everything - to know the true story behind the epic tale of colored blobs fighting against tyranny, you have to collect all flowers, stamps, dot things, etc!

VIDEO:
TGS Trailer
Leipzig Trailer
E3 Trailer

PICTURES:
wvbspu.jpg
2jg3qy1.jpg

9i7ked.jpg
xogsxc.jpg

vigwad.jpg
iwlkd3.jpg

i6i253.jpg

A set of five LocoRoco themed sackboys for $2.99, this perhaps may be a sign of things to come for this games release in the USA? Plus, it's adorable.

PREVIEWS:
GameSpy
IGN
Eurogamer

REVIEWS:
Eurogamer Review: 8/10

Ostensibly the same again, then, LocoRoco 2 nevertheless pulls its charm tight and burrows deeper into the mechanics, level layouts and set-pieces, presenting more elaborate rewards in visuals and gameplay, and doing a better job of sharing them with you so that you don't always feel as though you're searching for cuddly needles in a Teletubbies haystack. It comes across as a refined, more elaborately constructed sequel that remembers why it was good in the first place.

More reviews pending...

Yay :D Can't wait for this one! Just hope the GAF backlash against this series hasn't deprived it of all it's fans (which it might have done, I haven't noticed anybody talking about it). Also, check out the decent prices lying around on this one here - you can get it as low as £14 so far (though personally I'll be picking it up in-store so I can be there day one). Sorry if there is a NA date out there, I wasn't able to find one.

can't wait for the album of the year to release! haha

Anyway, my bro will be over the moon about this one...older bro that is hehe

Damn, I probably won't be able to get to this until next year, unless I can convince someone to give me this as a Xmas present. It's a shame because screw the haters, I loved the original, most of them probably never got past World 3.

I don't know if it's me but there wasn't a lot of news about this sequel.
But it's still a day 1 for me since LocoRoco is my favorite PSP game.

batbeg

Die Squirrel Die said:
Damn, I probably won't be able to get to this until next year, unless I can convince someone to give me this as a Xmas present. It's a shame because screw the haters, I loved the original, most of them probably never got past World 3.

Preach it brother :D I haven't quite 100%ed it, but I'm pretty damn close. I ended up putting way too many hours into that game, though, and I enjoyed every minute of it :D

As much as I'd like to say otherwise, you're probably just as well waiting, as the game is bound to bomb as hard, if not harder, than the first, I'd imagine. But for me, it's one of the two games I'm allowing myself to buy for the rest of the year (alongside Last Remnant, so this is my "busy week" I suppose :lol).

Just hope the local stores are getting shipments of this in :-\

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Sad to see that this is the only PSP game on the horizon for the remainder of 2008.

What the hell

edit: screw the haters indeed, first game was a really well designed platformer. I was nowhere close to 100%ing it though. I am kind of disappointed in the direction the sequel has gone, the creator (forgot his name, sorry) cited all sorts of promising new approaches to the gameplay, something to do with crowd elements or visual style. Bah, can't really remember.

It's out this Friday!? :eek:

I saw LocoRoco 2 for the first time at TGS then nothing, only for it to be here finished. Ordered from Game. :D

El-Suave

I'm importing my copy from Game, too.
Loco Roco was the title that's responsible for me getting a PSP in 2006 (it being bundled with the white PSP helped). I have been contemplating getting a PSP 3000 since my PSP screen has developed a few minor errors but since Sony apparently doesn't bundle it this time around it's not really an issue to think about.

Emotions

I hope here in America we get physical releases of Patapon 2 and LocoRoco 2. I hate digital releases when there's physical releases overseas. Like it happened to Siren PS3....

I really, really, really want more LocoRoco on my PS3. And preferably more like the traditional LocoRoco as on the PSP. Or just more games like LocoRoco with all of the charm, humor, and Japanese flavor.

Please, Sony, please!

Tailzo

I'll keep an eye on reviews. I tried a demo of the first one, and it seemed fun, but I bought the psp so late, so I had a lot of other great games to buy before this one.

Ranger X

TBA for US???

Damn they better let this come out.

EDIT: Wait, this and Patapon2 are digital releases? That's it, they aren't even bothering releasing physical games since they don't sell anyways? lol

I truly hope there will be a physical release unless i'm so not buying.

TripOpt55

I'm really excited for this one. I really like the first one. So much fun. Haven't gotten around to getting that PS3 spin-off type game. Will eventually. Hopefully we hear about a US release date soon. To be honest I probably wouldn't be able to get it this year anyway. It looks really good though.

Neil

I didn't even know this was coming out!! :lol
Just pre-ordered from HMV, £13,50 with my student discount :)

Dyne

Nice. Loco Roco: Cocoreccho for PS3 was an abomination. Worst few bucks I've ever spent. All I got was a catchy song that was furiously stuck in my head.

Flunkie

Banned
Dyne said:
Nice. Loco Roco: Cocoreccho for PS3 was an abomination. Worst few bucks I've ever spent. All I got was a catchy song that was furiously stuck in my head.
Agreed. Cocoreccho was horrible.

I can't wait for Loco Roco 2, though. It's a shame that it doesn't have any new songs. :(

batbeg

Great review :D

Loco Chuppa, where the sucking and spitting walking ladybirds propel you around a level at a pace dictated by the circle button. The idea is to navigate tunnels and perils by guestimating the right release speed.

Yay! I was afraid this minigame wasn't returning, I just hope there's more than a single level of it this time, though I doubt it. I'd buy an entire game dedicated to LocoRoco golf using these mechanics.

And while there are a lot of false-wall bits, the developers have been careful to signpost them gently, so that when something is hidden nearby, you're usually given enough cues to know you should stick around and experiment with telltale holes, suspicious indentations and odd-looking rainbow elephants.

I hope those cues stick to the suspicious indentations moreso than the obvious. I always found the indentations to be noticeable just enough to be rewarding for finding them.

Flunkie said:
I can't wait for Loco Roco 2, though. It's a shame that it doesn't have any new songs. :(

There are new songs. As well as old songs remixed. At least, that's what the reviews told me :-\

Flunkie

Banned
batbeg said:
There are new songs. As well as old songs remixed. At least, that's what the reviews told me :-\
Really? I was under the impression that there weren't going to be anything but tweaked, old songs.

batbeg

Flunkie said:
Really? I was under the impression that there weren't going to be anything but tweaked, old songs.

GameSpy

What LocoRoco 2 does well is delivering a beautiful soundtrack, with both new tracks and re-orchestrated versions of the existing ones. The rearrangement has been done to allow for one of the new features in the game: the more LocoRocos a player collects, the louder the music becomes.

This is all I found on the subject, really, but it would seem weird to have at least one new LocoRoco color and no new song for them. I'm hoping there's a decent amount of new songs, though :(

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Got a 100% in the first one (fun times) and this seems way more varied from what I've seen. So glad it's getting a sequel.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I didn't realize this was so close to being released. The lack of a retail release in North America is concerning, however. I suppose I may have to import.

batbeg

Augemitbutter said:
why is europe getting this before japan?

its like PES, im not used to this kind of treatment.

We did last time too :p I have no idea why, but I intend on supporting this awesome decision with my money and by spreading word of their greatness.

TheRayJ

I love LocoRoco, but only have a PS3. I downloaded LocoRoco Cocoreccho, but that one sucks, because you control a butterfly and don't tilt the world. Can I download the PSP LocoRoco to my PS3 and play it on my PS3? Will I be able to do that with LocoRoco 2?

TheRayJ said:
I love LocoRoco, but only have a PS3. I downloaded LocoRoco Cocoreccho, but that one sucks, because you control a butterfly and don't tilt the world. Can I download the PSP LocoRoco to my PS3 and play it on my PS3? Will I be able to do that with LocoRoco 2?
No, since it is a PSP game.

TheRayJ

That's too bad. You can remote play your PS3 games on PSP but not backwards? They would sell me a lot of PSP games if they'd just let me play them on PS3. Oh well...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Glute.Belly said:
loco roco is a fun game but i cant bear the music. if this one has similar music i'll pass
I'm pretty sure it will have similar music.

Flunkie

Banned
FoxHimself said:
I've had this game for a week or so now, and can confirm that it's just as good as the original! :D

Also, the music is still as catchy as ever.
What? Where?

Also, thanks for the link about the music. I'm even more excited now!

batbeg

mrkapawutzis said:
But you'd still need a PSP. OP you forgot the link to the website http://www.locoroco.com with the flash demo.

I want people to like the game, showing them that shitty flash demo would send them away in droves. However the site has some cool stuff in it, so I'll put it in.

Anyway, I was just updating to show the LocoRoco themed sackboys, which certainly suggests to me that the USA will be getting the game soon (especially given the wording on the PS blog: "What better way to gear up for the release of LocoRoco 2?").

I also found a review from some site in a long lost language, they gave it an 8.5. I don't know if it's a reliable site though, so I won't bother putting it in the OP unless I'm told otherwise.

And finally, in my desperate search for new LocoRoco shit, I saw on gamefaqs that the game has been leaked to the internet and there's a cool debug option where one can do things like change the gravity and stuff. No idea if this'll be in the official product (I doubt it), but I'll be sure to let people know via much bitching if it's not.

Why hasn't there been an official NA release date yet?!? All those higher ups at SCEA talk about how the PSP will have a lot more games coming out and yet we don't get one of their "bigger" franchises? I'm shaking my fist at this point.

El-Suave

The demo on Euro PSN is pretty good. Level 2 gives a great overview of some of the new gameplay mechanics. I recommend downloading it to everyone.

I think we get this game first in Europe because it did sell the most copies here? Not sure, but I think this might be the case. Sony released Patapon for the full price here as well while the US got it for $20. So I guess they think Europe might be a little bit more open the these kind of games. Maybe you'll get lucky with LocoRoco 2 again and they're releasing it cheap in your region.

Flunkie

Banned
So it's out now in Europe, right?

Impressions?

Also, has anyone's import copy (if you live outside of Europe) shipped yet?

roxya

I loved the first game but ugh.... not liking the demo. Basically all of the new stuff, especially the rhythm minigame stuff.

I get that they had to add new things otherwise everyone would just call it LocoRoco 1.5, but 1.5 is all I wanted.

batbeg

I of course bought this on Friday. Only to find I have lost my PSP charger. But I have contributed to the sales of this franchise none-the-less! Will hopefully be able to play in the next day or two, just as soon as I find the charger :-\

ChryZ

Holy shit, I completely missed this release. Play.com got the game for 18GBP/25EUR, such a steal, f'ing ordered :D

Top Bottom