• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Afrika rebranded and coming to the US?

bryehn

My wife was just looking through news sites and saw this article at ABC News about National Geographic getting into games...

...anyways, at the end of the article it says:

Other upcoming titles include "Rain Forests" and "Greencity," slated for next year from National Geographic, as well as "National Geographic: Africa," available next month from Sony.

Even if it's not "Afrika", this is certainly the first I've heard of this title from Sony. Seems odd if it's available next month that we wouldn't hear or see anything, though if it were to be a PSN title it would make more sense seeing as we generally don't hear too much about those prior to release.

Sorry if old, etc., just happened to catch my eye.

AndyD

aka andydumi
bryehn said:
My wife was just looking through news sites and saw this article at ABC News about National Geographic getting into games...

...anyways, at the end of the article it says:

Even if it's not "Afrika", this is certainly the first I've heard of this title from Sony. Seems odd if it's available next month that we wouldn't hear or see anything, though if it were to be a PSN title it would make more sense seeing as we generally don't hear too much about those prior to release.

Sorry if old, etc., just happened to catch my eye.

I dont think its the same.

Goldrusher

AndyD said:
I dont think its the same.
It would make sense to advertise it as a National Geographic game, instead of simply "Afrika".
Expectations would be a lot more normal - photography, safari, documentary simulation instead of a hunting or adventure game - and would be met.

The game was developed with National Geographic assistance and contains a ton of their video footage.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
OMG, I was just talking about Afrika with a friend and what Sony was thinking about not releasing it outside Japan.

Day 1. :D

Jim

Goldrusher said:
It would make sense to advertise it as a National Geographic game, instead of simply "Afrika".
Expectations would be a lot more normal - photography, safari, documentary simulation instead of a hunting or adventure game - and would be met.

The game was developed with National Geographic assistance and contains a ton of their video footage.

Seems extremely likely that it is the same... trying to check with SCEA now.

reminder

I hope it's true and i hope they've added trophies.

Does anyone know the size of the game? If it comes to the PS Store i need to know how much space i need on my HDD. :D

Edit: Oh, there'll be an english/chinese edition for Aquanaut's Holiday too? Awesome! I think i'll just import both games.

john tv

Forget trophies, how about voices? The Japanese version is text only, and its horribly awkward. So much for realism -- the animals behave more realistically than the humans do. :p

Tntnnbltn

womfalcs3 said:
There's a lot of text in this game. It has information that relates to animals and such.
This. It has an encyclopedia-type thing of animal information with video footage, pictures (and obviously text).

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Ranger X said:
This thread here is more clear to the point.

AFRIKA IS FINALLY COMING OMGGGGG G

Yeah pretty much. I'm stoked, ever sine I sawe the trailer where the dude is walking around at night in the dark trying to take pics. I hope a lion attacks me, I know there's no gore but at least you have to restart the mission.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Jim said:
Seems extremely likely that it is the same... trying to check with SCEA now.
Please do. :D
I can see myself playing it with my little cousins.
Take pictures of living animals > killing humans,aliens or animals :D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Oneself said:
It's about time!:D Day one purchase for me!
It hasnt been confirmed yet... so dont get your hopes up.

KTallguy

Banned
john tv said:
Forget trophies, how about voices? The Japanese version is text only, and its horribly awkward. So much for realism -- the animals behave more realistically than the humans do. :p

But with such a niche title, will they actually splurge for VA?
That's the problem, really... even though I really like this game, Eurogamer's review hit the nail on the head.

Dear contempt456,

Bad news, I'm afraid. No, you cannot run over a lion in Afrika. Nor can you break its legs off. Nor can you tie an elephant's trunk in a knot, cut off a giraffe's head or inflate a hippo till it goes pop. You can't even make a monkey wear an embarrassing hat.

Tntnnbltn

[Nintex] said:
So Sales-Age are we ready to make predictions yet?
Will Afrika bomb harder than Wii Music?

yes/no
In this thread: we compare the sales of a highly publicised retail game with those of a digital-only release of a game that hasn't been mentioned in months.

[Nintex]

Tntnnbltn said:
In this thread: we compare a strongly marketed retail disc with a digital-only release of a game that hasn't been mentioned in months.
I think apples are gonna tank in the next NPD as well

Jim said:
Confirmed it is Afrika. SCEA won't provide more info since they aren't actually publishing it.

Sony isn't publishing their own game ?

I guess it's going under the National Geographic label but that makes no sense

Fersis

Jim said:
Confirmed it is Afrika. SCEA won't provide more info since they aren't actually publishing it.
Wooooow !!!
I love you man ! Good news !
Oh and it comes this month !!! Woooooo!!

jjasper

KernelPanic said:
I guess it's going under the National Geographic label but that makes no sense

The game will sell more attached to National Geographic than it would as just Afrika.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Jim said:

I was right then , Sony won't re release the Asian version with English just without any reasons .

National Geographic trademark will help the sales I guess , and if you want the game in English with SCE sweet yellow logo play-asia is fun .

KernelPanic said:
Sony isn't publishing their own game ?

they already did this tonz of times before

short list :
Rules of Rose ( SCEJ game ) published in NA by Atlus
GhostHunter ( SCEE game ) published in NA by Namco
LifeLine ( SCEJ game ) published in NA Konami
Ape Escape 2 and 3 ( SCEJ game ) published in NA by Ubi soft

Top Bottom