• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Afrika rebranded and coming to the US?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So NG: Africa is comming this month as PSN download title ?
Awesome.

Jim

Fersis said:
So NG: Africa is comming this month as PSN download title ?
Awesome.

I'm trying to get info from Nat Geo Games about how and when it is scheduled to be released.

The PR never specifically says that game is PSN only. It just says they are planning to release games on the PS3 and PSN.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Jim said:
I'm trying to get info from Nat Geo Games about how and when it is scheduled to be released.

The PR never specifically says that game is PSN only. It just says they are planning to release games on the PS3 and PSN.
Oh i see, thanks for the info.
Any way, this is gonna be sweet. :D

Fersis

Katana_Strikes said:
Oooh this is good news. And possibly a lot sooner than expected.
According to National Geographic : November 2008 .

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jim said:
Confirmed it is Afrika. SCEA won't provide more info since they aren't actually publishing it.
Awesome. I have no idea why but I've always thought Afrika looked awesome. People in the US may actually pay attention with it because of the National Geographic branding.

bryehn

RoboPlato said:
Awesome. I have no idea why but I've always thought Afrika looked awesome. People in the US may actually pay attention with it because of the National Geographic branding.

No doubt. I wonder who's going to publish this...if it will be NatGeo themselves or a partner like Namco-Bandai.

Not like it's the first Sony game to get published by someone else over here, but I'm surprised they wouldn't want to do this themselves.

This is awesome news. As lame as it may sound, Afrika has always been one of my main motivations behind purchasing my PS3. The brief mention of it on 1upYours a few weeks ago made it sound pretty cool.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I believe Brave Story is also a SCEJ game not published by SCEA/SCEE.

The reverse can also happen btw, Killzone is a SCEE game but published in Japan by Sega.

Anyway, good to know Afrika is coming out. It stands a better chance with the National Geographic label (and people will this time not expect you can shoot animals).

RoboPlato said:

Everytime I heard about Afrika, my initial thoughts were that it's a game about Erwin Rommel :-/

Nice, good to see this getting a release.

Tntnnbltn said:
In this thread: we compare the sales of a highly publicised retail game with those of a digital-only release of a game that hasn't been mentioned in months.
Where did they mention a digital-only release? Afrika saw a retail release in Japan, why would it be different, esp. with the National Geographic branding?

lorddct

Totobeni said:
I was right then , Sony won't re release the Asian version with English just without any reasons .

National Geographic trademark will help the sales I guess , and if you want the game in English with SCE sweet yellow logo play-asia is fun .

they already did this tonz of times before

short list :
Rules of Rose ( SCEJ game ) published in NA by Atlus
GhostHunter ( SCEE game ) published in NA by Namco
LifeLine ( SCEJ game ) published in NA Konami
Ape Escape 2 and 3 ( SCEJ game ) published in NA by Ubi soft

I am actually surprised they allowed another publisher to publish it. If I remember correctly the reason the made SCWW was so they published the game world wide. If this is true this will be awesome because we will finally see those rare SCEJ games come stateside by someone.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
lorddct said:
I am actually surprised they allowed another publisher to publish it. If I remember correctly the reason the made SCWW was so they published the game world wide. If this is true this will be awesome because we will finally see those rare SCEJ games come stateside by someone.

SCEJ does what it wants!

lorddct

But man I will get it. It's not surprising National Geographic decided to release the game. Didn't impressions already mention that there is soo much nation geographic reference it was shocking that it wasn't actually a nation geographic game.

tino

Banned
I think the name is more appropiate. So perple know its not blood dismod or voodoo ritual and shit. I would like to see the major unlocks link to the cover stories of NG.

Although I don't want to use lousy Alpha DSLR. I want to use D700. Let me choose my own equiptment upgrade path!:lol :lol

lorddct

tino said:
I think the name is more appropiate. So perple know its not blood dismod or voodoo ritual and shit. I would like to see the major unlocks link to the cover stories of NG.

Although I don't want to use lousy Alpha DSLR. I want to use D700. Let me choose my own equiptment upgrade path!:lol :lol

I personally like the Alphas :p

Is it just me, or I feel like the National Geographic stamp on it will make it sell less to the general public... Maybe i'm doubting it, but i think most people would be turned away if it looked educational in any way.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
FromTheFuture said:
Is it just me, or I feel like the National Geographic stamp on it will make it sell less to the general public... Maybe i'm doubting it, but i think most people would be turned away if it looked educational in any way.

No.

Tntnnbltn

Phife Dawg said:
Where did they mention a digital-only release? Afrika saw a retail release in Japan, why would it be different, esp. with the National Geographic branding?
Sorry, had read presumptions earlier in the thread and they must've stuck in my head. Yeah, no confirmation on release format. I personally think it would be retail though.

Goldrusher

FromTheFuture said:
:lol

You would advertise the game as something it isn't ? Because an educational, photography safari game is exactly what it is.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Crickey I'm DLC
steve%20irwin

Goldrusher said:

You would advertise the game as something it isn't ? Because an educational, photography safari game is exactly what it is.
Ok, I used the wrong word choice. Maybe not educational, but i'm sure you know what i mean. Essentially, it's not a 'game' in the normal sense, and often National Geographic is often associated with either learning about new places, new cultures, wildlife, etc. While they dont have to particularly advertise it as educational, it gives off a slight vibe. Plus, either way, the majority of people arent going to jump at the idea of a picture taking game.

Darkpen

Banned
From the other thread:
Namco Bandai - “National Geographic: Panda”
lol what? :lol

lorddct said:
But man I will get it. It's not surprising National Geographic decided to release the game. Didn't impressions already mention that there is soo much nation geographic reference it was shocking that it wasn't actually a nation geographic game.
The only impressions I remember of the game being like anything was how much the music was like the John Williams score of Jurassic Park :lol

Now THAT'S a game that National Geographic needs to get behind :lol (or hell, maybe even the discovery channel...)

The Discovery Channel needs to license and publish Aquanaut's Holiday, and you know it >_>

But retitle it SHARK WEEK!!! and put a giant great white on the cover :D

and logo would be a bold, white text, with a bite in the text... and the game would have a 50% more sharks...

Tntnnbltn said:
Sorry, had read presumptions earlier in the thread and they must've stuck in my head. Yeah, no confirmation on release format. I personally think it would be retail though.
No big deal, I was wondering myself because I too think it'll be released as a retail title.

FromTheFuture said:
Ok, I used the wrong word choice. Maybe not educational, but i'm sure you know what i mean. Essentially, it's not a 'game' in the normal sense, and often National Geographic is often associated with either learning about new places, new cultures, wildlife, etc. While they dont have to particularly advertise it as educational, it gives off a slight vibe. Plus, either way, the majority of people arent going to jump at the idea of a picture taking game.
But what difference would it make if the title was just "Afrika"? Even if people have false conceivabilities based on the name alone ("you'll be gun-toting your way through Afrika"), which I can't really imagine, don't you think people will take a look at the backside of the box? National Geographic branding can only help, not that'll sell a lot of copies anyway.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Darkpen said:
From the other thread:

lol what? :lol

http://www.namcobandaigames.com/news/press/press/312/page/1

SANTA CLARA, Calif., (September 30, 2008) – Leading video games publisher and developer, NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. announced today that a bonus DVD, Secrets of the Wild Panda, will be packed in copies of their upcoming Nintendo DS™ pet-simulation game National Geographic Panda. Secrets of the Wild Panda is an hour long special that follows a group of researchers as they study a mother panda and her newborn baby. National Geographic Panda gives adoptive panda parents a unique opportunity to interact and learn about these majestic animals when it is released this November.

“National Geographic Panda delivers on the promise to provide engaging and informative content for which National Geographic is known for,” said Todd Thorson, director of marketing and public relations for NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. “Secrets of the Wild Panda and in-game National Geographic articles give National Geographic Panda a substantial added value on top of an already terrific game.”

More about National Geographic Panda:
Step into Panda Park and immerse yourself in raising cuddly panda cubs. Use the touch screen to wake up sleepy pandas in the morning, hand them their favorite food, or help them with tricky somersaults. Players can enter the Panda House to find over 20 authentic National Geographic articles about pandas, with new articles unlocked each day the game is played. Players are also given an allowance every morning to spend or save as they see fit. Buy food, toys, clothes or a good bath for your pandas. Raise your panda well and more will wander into Panda Park wanting to join in on the fun!

More about Secrets of the Wild Panda:

Shot in the remote Qi Ling mountains of China, Secrets of the Wild Panda follows a team of scientists as they observe and track a mother panda and her newborn baby, Xi Wang, for a full year. In a time where wild panda habitats are vanishing at an astonishing rate, the team must learn all they can from this rarely seen occurrence.

National Geographic Panda will be available for Nintendo DS this November with a MSRP of $29.99. For more information about National Geographic Panda, please visit http://www.namcobandaigames.com.

Sounds like it could be something like a Ubisoft "Pandaz"

national-geographic-panda-20080715035357173_640w.jpg
national-geographic-panda-images-20080415112521534_640w.jpg

Fersis

Tempy said:
I believe Brave Story is also a SCEJ game not published by SCEA/SCEE.

The reverse can also happen btw, Killzone is a SCEE game but published in Japan by Sega.

Anyway, good to know Afrika is coming out. It stands a better chance with the National Geographic label (and people will this time not expect you can shoot animals).

Taking Pictures > Killing.
Please add the screenshot feature to K2

Phife Dawg said:
No big deal, I was wondering myself because I too think it'll be released as a retail title.

But what difference would it make if the title was just "Afrika"? Even if people have false conceivabilities based on the name alone ("you'll be gun-toting your way through Afrika"), which I can't really imagine, don't you think people will take a look at the backside of the box? National Geographic branding can only help, not that'll sell a lot of copies anyway.
I suppose. At first i would think that the National Geographic branding would make people instantly turn away the second they would see it, but then again there are probably more people who would be caught by the branding. I just imagined kids browsing the aisle, and obviously they wouldn't go for it.

reminder

Spoit said:
So...Nov 2008? how the heck are they going to turn that around in a bit more than a week?

PSN release is my guess, maybe with a Disc release following in december/early 2009.

lorddct said:
Well, some games are more so funded or thought of by region (like some games are still more SCEJ, SCEA, and SCEE). While there is SCEWW, it more so has to do with some games being apart of it, while some games are still under the old system (I have a feeling a game like Demon Souls still is under the older setup). Some games it still comes down to, once it finishes in one region, the other SCE decide whether they should publish it or not. SCEA didn't bring Dark Mist stateside probably because they felt it didn't suit the U.S. market, and that's probably how they felt about Afrika. I have a strong feeling they will pass on Demon Souls. Thankfully, SCEA is very good about allowing other publishers to bring their games stateside. Mostly with SCEA, if they feel the game will sell in NA, they'll publish it. If they don't, they pass.

I have a feeling this will be disc release, but budget release like $39.99 or something.

SelfCon

BoilersFan23 said:
I have a feeling this will be disc release, but budget release like $39.99 or something.
I really hope so. I've already spent way too much on games these past two months as it is.

Top Bottom