• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits (Wiiware / PC)

Linkup

Experience with ICARIAN: KINDRED SPIRITS™ the awesome story of Nyx, an enigmatic winged girl, that must descend from heaven in search of her missing friend Icarus.

Overfly the ruins of ancient Greece and avoid falling into blazing sands or perishing in the claws of cruel harpies and hydras.
You will need the help of Zeus and other benevolent Gods from Olympus to summon their powers. They will let you cast rays, modify the scenery and control winds at your wish...
With your own wrist movements and pointing to the game screen, you will be able to achieve these and many other feats in this new and enjoyable Wii™ platform game.

Fly, aim and shoot using the new and fullest potential of your Wii Remote™.

FEATURES

- New gameplay mechanics taking full advantage of the Wii Remote™. Use your hand movements to raise Nyx, flap her wings and fly over awesome ancient Greece scenery. ¡But that is not all! You will be able to invoke the powers of the gods and move platforms, cast rays and control winds while pointing your Wii Remote to the screen . An interaction as never seen before!

- A game for one or two players. Play with a friend and maximize your abilities, while one controls Nyx, the other will control the powers from the Gods.

- Charming graphics that take full advange of Wii™ technology.

- A fascinating story. ¿Will you be able to help Nyx discover what happened to her friend Icarus?

Website

Screens

Over the Top is the dev and I don't believe they have a pub yet.

small trailer
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/143/14333979/vids_1.html

legend166

Cassamassina redeemed, they are making a game with a word similar to Icarus in the title! He was right! Suck on it haters.

Seriously though, any platformers have my attention.

freddy

Banned
New gameplay mechanics taking full advantage of the Wii Remote™. Use your hand movements to raise Nyx, flap her wings and fly over awesome ancient Greece scenery. ¡But that is not all! You will be able to invoke the powers of the gods and move platforms, cast rays and control winds while pointing your Wii Remote to the screen . An interaction as never seen before!

Hmmm I dunno if I like the sound of this...

:Beaten:

Linkup

EmCeeGramr said:
Wait. Please don't tell me that you waggle to fly in a 2D platformer.

I figure it will control like LostWinds though there isn't a pointer on any of the screens, but they're bullshots anyway so it's wait and see.

PolyGone

Banned
hmmm.jpg

Linkup said:
but they're bullshots anyway so it's wait and see.

They don't look like bullshots... well the one on the right is I guess, but it's just an extended horizontal resolution.
Looks Giorgio de Chirico inspired, like the Ico art.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought of both Disney's Hercules film and The Persistence of Memory by Dali when I saw the images. Well, maybe the only one that thought of both.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The winged lady's portrait kind of reminds me of the official artwork for the Harry Potter books. Especially the head in that close up.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
JKBii said:
Why would they need a publisher for a WiiWare game?

I'm a bit puzzled by that too, but I suppose it's to get enough cash to actually make the game... it's less "publisher" and more "guy who fronts the cash", I guess. There are a few other companies who have done the same thing.

Haunted

I approve of the SMG-styled co-op play, btw.

Still, it's a new, small, unproven dev from Madrid. Best not to expect anything for now.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I really like the aethetics of the game, and I have a bias towards 2D gameplay.

That said, I'm kinda worried that the developers will stick too close to the Lost Winds formula. I hope they'll make it unique.

Must restate that I love the graphics though. WiiWare developers really put many retail developers to shame.

Amir0x

Banned
Hopefully it's Lost Winds without the sleepy lazy pace and do-nothing challenge, yet keeping the mechanics and really starting to explore what you can do with the concept when you push the player a bit.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Amir0x said:
Hopefully it's Lost Winds without the sleepy lazy pace and do-nothing challenge, yet keeping the mechanics and really starting to explore what you can do with the concept when you push the player a bit.

Exactly what I meant when I said I hoped it wouldn't follow the Lostwinds formula.

I see Over the Top games is a new developer, and Icarian is their first project, so I hope everything will be fine for them, and that Icarian will be great.

Also, I can't get over how beautifully simple it looks for what is only a WiiWare game. Kudos to Over the Top, they've at least got the visuals right :).

Can't wait to see some gameplay videos to see if it's less faster-paced than LostWinds *fingers crossed*.

bdouble

Linkup said:
Over the Top is the dev and I don't believe they have a pub yet.

They don't need a publisher if its on Wiiware. :lol

Anyways looks good. Nice to see small devs take advantage of the online distribution these new consoles have brought to the table. If it is anything like LW I'll be all over it.

hemtae

bdouble said:
They don't need a publisher if its on Wiiware. :lol

Anyways looks good. Nice to see small devs take advantage of the online distribution these new consoles have brought to the table. If it is anything like LW I'll be all over it.

They probably need somebody to fund their game though...

CaVaYeRo

CaVaYeRo said:
Late January.

We'll play it and have more details by mid-January, though.

Well, nobody seems to update this!

First in-game video was released yesterday. There are a lot of old and new details since December, so feel free to ask:

- Price will be 1.000 or 1.500, Nintendo decides.
- First, it was a wax environment, referring to Icarian’s wings. Then they got to the Chirico style, great for story and WW limitations.
- Fragility is the main idea to tell. It’s in Nyx, and she needs player’s help.
- 20K downloads will be a fine number to cover game’s development costs.
- Focus on finishing Icarian. They’re open to sequels or bigger Icarian games with old ideas.
- First video in below link is Steven Gutheinz’s music: 3 samples
- Second video in link is In-game footage, you may already have this.
- “Family” aids: aside from the 4 guys at Over the Top games, people around them tried the game. Nyx voice is from one of the member’s girlfriend. Animations refined by another friend. Free physics system.
- One day gameplay: as the night nears, the end approaches.
- They hope Nintendo helps them to get to the Japanese market, same as with World of Goo. They already have the game localized into 6 languages for Eur/US markets.

Arts, in-game video, music samples

More art/screens/devs photos here

11768.jpg

You know, it lpays great. With the SDHC solution, nobody can say the usual "if I had space on my fridge..." :D It'll launch around May.

Ikael

This game is the very first game that my country has produced that looks remotely interesting since Tzar, so I will support it with my hard earned money :D also, the gameplay looks awesome and it has very, very good art to boot.

Top Bottom