• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Update 3.0 Announced: Multiple Fixes Coming

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This is the problem with the gaming community now days. Why don't you play the game yourself and see if YOU like it. Why are folks always basing if something is good or not on someone else opinion.

Because time and money is limited? Not everyone wants to waste time with a game with a proven record of being trash by 99% of those who tried it already. Plus, gamepass isn’t free and a full retail game isn’t worth throwing money at if it’s subpar when looking at the stacked offers 2023 provided to pick from.

But hey if you’re a trust fund kid go for it.

Darkkahn

This is the problem with the gaming community now days. Why don't you play the game yourself and see if YOU like it. Why are folks always basing if something is good or not on someone else opinion.
I'm just your average normal video game player, so asking for other folk's input would get me 90% there. Besides, have you not ever looked something up before buying it?

C2brixx

I'm just your average normal video game player, so asking for other folk's input would get me 90% there. Besides, have you not ever looked something up before buying it?
Oh I look at reviews all the time. But games, music, movie, are works of art. Now if the game is bad because of some technical reason that's one thing, but just basing a game you maybe interested in off of someone else's sole opinion because they didn't like that gameplay or art style seems shortsighted to me. Maybe folks are just looking for opinions about games that reinforced their own bias, but I digress.

Last edited:

Dutchy

it's not the same studio that made the games "like they are known for" - both literally (Arkane's studio in France made those games) and figuratively (a lot of the people who made those games left).

Two, if a company makes a shitty game and abandons it, why should I trust them to make a good game? This is just nonsensical. I would trust them more if they turned that shitty game into a good game with post-launch support, although it is far from ideal. Like if Hello Games abandoned NMS in 2016 after 2 bug fix patches would you give a single shit about their next game?
I agree. I'd rather wait 4 years for a game to go from shit to mediocre than have it be good right out the gate.

god bless them

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I agree. I'd rather wait 4 years for a game to go from shit to mediocre than have it be good right out the gate.

god bless them
well with redfall that ship has already sailed.

i just don't get this logic of "abandon it and make a good game lmao", how do we know they can make a good game even

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I hope they turn it around for those that bought it....

...But it should never be ok to release a turd and then turn it into a good game later. That aint it chief!

Dutchy

well with redfall that ship has already sailed.
I respect the fact that you can see that at least.
i just don't get this logic of "abandon it and make a good game lmao", how do we know they can make a good game even
Killing your darlings is a good but rough mentality that I think will do more good than bad in most cases. People always mention NMS but fail to realize that there is no other game that made the turnaround that it did.

MarkMe2525

I only gave the game around 40 minutes of my time at launch. If I get really bored, I'll check their updated game out.

Last edited:

Dutchy

Cyberpunk and FFXIV right off the top of head.
Cyberpunk only fluked at the technical level. It still had potential.
FFXIV needed 9 years to see a significant rise in player numbers and I can hardly see that as a good thing. NMS needed 2 or 3 which is still somewhat acceptable seeing how many people still liked it at release.

You don't possibly think that Redfall will be the next one of those games right?

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I respect the fact that you can see that at least.

Killing your darlings is a good but rough mentality that I think will do more good than bad in most cases. People always mention NMS but fail to realize that there is no other game that made the turnaround that it did.

I guess my question to you is how a dev studio, by abandoning their 4/10 game, will go from that to making a 8+/10 game. It just doesn't work that way, if the dev said "on to the next one" it's far more likely they deliver another 4/10 game in however many years.

needed 9 years to....
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

I guess my question to you is how a dev studio, by abandoning their 4/10 game, will go from that to making a 8+/10 game. It just doesn't work that way, if the dev said "on to the next one" it's far more likely they deliver another 4/10 game in however many years.

There's 2 schools of thought for the matter. I think it could be argued to cut the cancer and start fresh and back to what you know as opposed to beating a dead horse.

Smaller studios can do it because their overhead is significantly smaller with 15 people than a studio of 150+ . Studios experiment and fail all the time and go on to make great games. There's many examples of the Assassin's Creeds go back and forth between good, bad, great, bad, good.

From Software, I.D., Capcom all have examples of experimenting outside their wheelhouse, getting a lot of pushback and then going back to what they are good at and evolving the formula they become known for.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I downloaded, tried a few missions, uninstalled.

There is so much to be done with this game...good on them for not giving up. Anthem could have been great. I'm finding it hard to see how this game can end up being good.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Cyberpunk only fluked at the technical level. It still had potential.
FFXIV needed 9 years to see a significant rise in player numbers and I can hardly see that as a good thing. NMS needed 2 or 3 which is still somewhat acceptable seeing how many people still liked it at release.

You don't possibly think that Redfall will be the next one of those games right?
I don't. No Man's Sky just isn't the only example of a huge turnaround for a game.

Dutchy

You don't repeatedly throw shit at a wall and see how much gets stuck. You go back to the drawing board, ask yourself why you're throwing shit, and why it ain't sticking. You take all of the criticism from past projects and try to turn that into something good.

Redfall is inherently flawed. No amount of updates is going to turn that around. It would be wasted time and money.

Instead they should focus on what made their earlier games so good, and their recent ones so mediocre.

KexWfBn.png

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I never said that either. Try re-reading that post with a bit more reading comprehension skills :messenger_beaming:

Hint: it
No Man's Sky is nowhere near the turnaround that FFXIV was. FFXIV scrapped pretty much the entire game. Also, NMS initially sold very well.

Dutchy

No Man's Sky is nowhere near the turnaround that FFXIV was. FFXIV scrapped pretty much the entire game. Also, NMS initially sold very well.
my g, entirely scrapping an already existing title after 9 to 11 years for a (relatively) fuck-all increase in player numbers is not a commendable thing. And I hope Xbox isn't hearing you right now. And yes, NMS sold initially well, so it was worth the comeback.

I don't think you fully understand what we're discussing right here.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
my g, entirely scrapping an already existing title after 9 to 11 years for a (relatively) fuck-all increase in player numbers is not a commendable thing. And I hope Xbox isn't hearing you right now. And yes, NMS sold initially well, so it was worth the comeback.

I don't think you fully understand what we're discussing right here.
FFXIV was up for 2 years before the revamp.

All of MS' games this year have been "rushed" out of the door, bar HIFI.

All of them could have been genuinely good to great instead of crap to good with another 6-12 months in the oven. Although Xbox sales would have been even worse with an 18-24 month gap in first party releases. They where fucked either way.

Should have bit the bullet imo with Halo fired everyone sooner and given that game another 12 months and the the same with everything since.

Honestly, this has been the way since Halo 5 days.

They always take a year + to get into stride. Forza Horizon 5 was an anomaly.

My guess is they keep their console market share purposely low, maybe to encourage Sony to put their games on Windows, or to be able to buy more studios, I dunno.

Their news cycle keeps casuals away. I had no idea what to expect when I picked up my xbox. Reviews were not good and games looked obscure to get into (Sea of Thieves, Grounded etc). Glad I did cause I made friends on the way who are good at these games.

On topic of Redfall, being Arkane fanboy, I would definitely want this fixed. Their next game will come out 2025-26. Take a year to fix this then move on to Prey 2.

Del_X

Is it even possible to make this a good game? I see they’re adding new animations and updating the AI pathing which seems significant.

I didn’t really like the setting so when it was a dud I didn’t even bother downloading it to try it.

Ribi

Stop playing redfall and go play and support Generation Zero instead. The far superior game.

Quezacolt

That revamp did jack shit for player numbers then.
Yes it did. Sure, the game didnt become one of the biggest right away, but they got a huge boost in player numbers after the revamp. Hell, after the first expansion, it was easy to see it would become one of the biggest mmo's and stay like that.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Wading through frothing at the mouth PS fans in Xbox related threads is like wading through Redfall to find a good game.

alanis morrisette GIF

..is Redfall still a stutter-fest on PC or did they fix it?

Last edited:

BigLee74

I tried the 60fps/texture fix v2. What a difference over v1 (which looked obviously broken)!

It still only got 10 minutes of my time as I have a backlog of more interesting games to play.

I played it at release and did not understand how they thought it was ready, not only that but there is a definite Halloween vibe going on so baffling why they didn't hold it until October.
Anyway at the time, I thought there was a lot of potential there but ruined by its beta state, the world was very nicely designed in my opinion and a very nice setting for a creepy game.
I'll give it another shot on game pass once they release the dlc which will probably be a relaunch.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Well, I decided to check it out but its still ass. Got a server disconnect during the second mission while playing solo so I deleted it right away.

DaGwaphics

Gotta hand it to them, they said they're gonna patch it and by god they're doing it.

There is probably a bit of obligation here as well, I think they sold the one version that promised DLC content.

People just jumped on the negative bandwagon with this one. The story and the setting were fun, not every game has to be the greatest one ever made.

clarky

Gold Member
People just jumped on the negative bandwagon with this one. The story and the setting were fun, not every game has to be the greatest one ever made.

Behave. The game was completely broken on launch with a miriad of technical issues and fundamental design flaws (always online, no matchmaking,GAAS elements left over etc etc), that are likely unfixable.

Its a shit game, no amount of polish will fix this turd. Its a 5/10 at best as it stands right now. No bandwagon in sight.

Havoc2049

I finished the game and thought it was OK, but not the type of game I would want to come back to and keep playing. They should have charged a lower price, polished up the first town more, along with 60fps and released the game in chapters, with the second town being the second chapter.

Top Bottom