• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Tamanon

Banned
Woot! It's finally almost here!

BTW, no Lotus Juice on the soundtrack for this one folks, but the new battle song is pretty good. You won't have any "Ooooohh Yeah, baby baby baby" over and over again:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwFapCq3vY

Oh and you don't get tired any more, so you don't have to sweat the limited time quite as much.

Yaweee

NichM said:
No, 1UP's review has also been posted, along with a few smaller sites.

Gamepro 5/5
Gamervision 10/10
Gamertell "Overall Score: Two thumbs up, 99/100, A, **** 1/2 out of 5" ??????
Gamerzone 87/100

Shidoshi's review in Play doesn't have a score.

Granted, there's not many reviews listed on Metacritic, but it's currently tracking within a point or two of the highest rated game of the year.

Costanza said:
are there no difficulty levels anymore? :( I suck at RPGs and the Easy setting in P3 has been just right for me.

Easy, Normal, Hard, with roughly the variations that were found in FES.

No more Fuuka.

Game of the Forever!

Wilsongt

Tamanon said:
Woot! It's finally almost here!

BTW, no Lotus Juice on the soundtrack for this one folks, but the new battle song is pretty good. You won't have any "Ooooohh Yeah, baby baby baby" over and over again:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwFapCq3vY

Oh and you don't get tired any more, so you don't have to sweat the limited time quite as much.

Yeah, it's good, but it doesn't have the drill-into-your-head-and-nag-at-you-like-a-tumor feel of "Mass Destruction".

NichM

Banned
Duck Amuck said:
[*]A bundled soundtrack. NichM, could you please clarify how many tracks are on it?

24 tracks on the disc included with the game.

Costanza said:
are there no difficulty levels anymore? :( I suck at RPGs and the Easy setting in P3 has been just right for me.

Beginner, Normal, and Expert are selectable from the start.

ctalamode

Neo Member
As someone new to Persona, is it worth it to play P1 and P2? I know I want P3 FES and P4.
Also: is the fan translation of the first half of P2 good?

Volcynika

Probably should point out that (this is what Siliconera said) the artbook contains spoilers for the game, so you probably shouldn't read it until after completion. Also, Atlus USA's YouTube has most if not all the videos from the game's website on their account stuff, but some may be considered spoiler-iffic.

Of course, I CAN'T FREAKIN WAIT FOR THIS GAME.

NichM

Banned
Angelus Errare said:
Is the game getting the two disc version of the soundtrack or the condensed?

EDIT: NVM, I see it's 24 tracks

Yeah, but this time the other half of the soundtrack is* available through the Social Link Expansion Pack, which comes in a regular jewel case with space for both discs.

*was

Hmm, no clothe changing features like P3 FES?
man...I'm really skeptical when ATLUS said there isn't going to be a P4:FES...

Tamanon

Banned
ctalamode said:
As someone new to Persona, is it worth it to play P1 and P2? I know I want P3 FES and P4.
Also: is the fan translation of the first half of P2 good?

I dunno, it might be a bit of a chore. Persona 1, while a good game is a bit of an anachronism. It's one of the old school graph-paper dungeon RPGs. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment is fun, but can be a bit dated also. It's still one of my favorites though.

In regards to P4, from everything I've seen for battle footage and stuff, it seems that each character's personality is more pronounced in battle. I think that might be a byproduct of them each having different ways of destroying their tarot card, but it really feels more fleshed out than everyone putting an evoker up and firing.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
There's no hint of when, during 2009, it'll reach Europe? I don't wanna wait for it to release here if it's gonna take a year :/

zoku88

Forkball said:
Is it really harder? RPG fan said it's easier compared to other SMT games.
Well, being harder than P3 and easier than other SMT games isnt really mutually exclusive....

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Is the artbook that Amazon gives for preorders the same as the one from GS/EB? This is probably just me being too paranoid, but the picture on Amazon differs a bit from the OP (though the cover is the same).

OP -

281959_bonusLG.jpg

Amazon -

B001C6GVI6-6-sm.jpg

I'm a newly minted Persona whore (but a long standing SMT whore :D), so if there is any difference between the two I'll start thinking now about how to get both.

Yaweee

Duck Amuck said:
Help me iron out the list of new features/changes from Persona 3, please!

Well, here goes.

- Most of the changes that FES made to P3 are in P4, and that means (slight spoilers, I guess)
Expert available from the beginning, bonus dungeon, Igor's helper as an S. Link, and S. Link endings.

- A more fluid quest system. You don't just get them from Margaret, there is no limit. Which is good, because the quest limit in P3 sucked balls.

- The S. Links focus more on characters closer to the main story, including male party members.

- Female S. Links branch into 'Friend' or 'Girlfriend' branches.

- You get vendor trash from enemies, which unlocks new equipment when you sell it, like the Etrian Odyssey series.

- As you improve your S. Links with other party members, they gain more abilities in battle, such as breaking status ailments of other party members, or diving in the way of a blow that would kill the MC.

- The square button is a shortcut button to bring up a menu that allows you to instantly go to any part of the city.

- A whole bunch of refinements to the battle system, including a guard function which changes a weakness element to normal damage. You don't lose a turn when knocked down, but getting hit with a weakness while knocked down puts you in a state that will waste a turn.

The Soundtrack CD is basically half of the 2-Disc OST, with the other songs coming with the Social Link Expansion Pack. The included CD doesn't have Signs of Love or Mist =( =( =(

I assume the Japanese version worked well on PS3's? Hoping it will play on my 80gb with no issues.

Can't wait though. P3FES is one of my favorite games of all time.

sarcoa

We received a review copy two weeks ago. Since that time I have purchased Dead Space, Fallout 3, Fable II, Yakuza 2, and Left 4 Dead. They're all still in shrink wrap and just sitting in a stack, untouched. I haven't touched LBP or Mirror's Edge since.

<3 Persona 4.

NichM

Banned
Monroeski said:
Is the artbook that Amazon gives for preorders the same as the one from GS/EB? This is probably just me being too paranoid, but the picture on Amazon differs a bit from the OP (though the cover is the same).

As you can see, the first picture has a little "image subject to change" disclaimer at the bottom because we hadn't actually started making the artbook at that point. The one at the bottom, the one amazon is showing, is based on the final product. Which won't be delaying the game at all, because they're produced already. I have one at home.

Volcynika

NichM said:
As you can see, the first picture has a little "image subject to change" disclaimer at the bottom because we hadn't actually started making the artbook at that point. The one at the bottom, the one amazon is showing, is based on the final product. Which won't be delaying the game at all, because they're produced already. I have one at home.

So nothing happened to the CD, right????

I remember that post! :lol

Just bought on gamestop. Totally wasn't planning to buy... yet. But the artbook sealed the deal... couldn't resist. Big art freak here :(
Dammit I still have to beat P3. I'll get around to it when the roommate brings back his ps3. That bastard.

I, unfortunately, won't be able to play this with you lot during release - as I don't have any way to connect my PlayStation 2 to a monitor.

I'll be getting a Samsung LN40A650 pretty soon, though! :D

Volcynika

Tamanon said:
It's alright, you're not able to go to Tartarus during Finals Week anyways.

:lol

It comes out during my finals week, but I'm picking it up Wednesday night after my last final :D

Also, :lol at the YouTube videos being messed up.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, :lol at Yosuke's idle animations in battle. Yosuke >>>> Junpei.

Also Chie being a ball of energy is pretty funny.

Guled

Awesome, my GOTY right here. I have some questions tho, when you say no more Fuuka, dose that mean you get info from monsters right away instead of waiting a turn? And I know you could pick friend/GF paths with female S.Links but is it a one time choice or could you change it latter on?

And NichM, will the retailers get the preorder book before the game? I know they won't give it out until you pick up the game, but my eb games (in canada) gets some pre order bonus late unless (still haven't gotten my Disgaea 3 soundtrack) and I don't want to miss out. I just want to know is GS/EB games will have the art book for launch or should I just get it off amazon

Top Bottom