• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Chinatown Wars: first DS title given an 18 rating (UK) - no cut!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
From Edge Online

"
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars has become the first DS title to be given an 18 certificate by the British Board of Film Classification.

Edge’s preview of Chinatown Wars – which features an interview with Rockstar Games’ Dan Houser – explains that the title features a drug-dealing minigame, prompting fears that the title will find friction with classification groups and national media outlets.

Fortunately for Rockstar, the BBFC has stated on its website that, though the title includes “very strong language and drug references”, it has not undertaken any content cuts.

The decision is in line with what the Houser brothers, and indeed those at Rockstar Leeds, wanted as a target audience for the title, as Dan Houser explained to Edge: “No one disagreed with Sam [Houser, Rockstar president and Dan’s brother]’s very clear edict that GTA has to be an M [18 equivalent] rating. It can’t be softened to make it family-friendly – that’s not the game we’re making. We’ve never not done well by sticking to our guns.”

The BBFC also claims there are nearly three hours of cut scenes and non-playable game footage in Chinatown Wars. The title is set for a release in March."

I did a search, found nothing with the "Chinatown" tag, hopefully it's not old.

DS GOTY
John Dunbar said:
I hope it does well so it'll be followed by GTA Wii and bitter tears.
Would've happened already if it was going to. San Andreas Stories would have been an easy do-able port.

Eteric Rice said:
Will buy.

Just for the sheer weirdness of owning a GTA built completely for a handheld. :D
Umm...
KaosAngel said:
Uh...PSP?
Grand_Theft_Auto_Advance.jpg

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Visualante said:
Would've happened already if it was going to. San Andreas Stories would have been an easy do-able port.

that doesn't make any sense.

i'm not saying there will be a gta game on the wii, but it's by no means impossible. we haven't passed some magical point in time that makes rockstar unable to release one on the wii.

Colocho

Banned
KaosAngel said:
Wasn't SA a dual layered DVD for PS2? I don't think it would fit on a UMD.
Nope, DVD5, I don't know why everyone thinks it's DVD9 though. Anyway, the "Stories" GTAs are completely different from their regulat counter parts so a San Andreas Stories is perfectly doable

Spiegel said:
For some (special) people some games don't exist until they are released on a nintendo console.

And gta was on the gba, so I don't know what to say
Guys I think he is just saying that it is weird to own a GTA game on a handheld. What if he doesn't have a PSP and this is the first GTA game for him to buy on a handheld? Anyways I'll try this game out.

Shadowlink123 said:
Guys I think he is just saying that it is weird to own a GTA game on a handheld. What if he doesn't have a PSP and this is the first GTA game for him to buy on a handheld? Anyways I'll try this game out.
Plus the GTA PSP games where much like the PS2 games. This is completely different then the console versions. That what he meant by "from the ground up". Its unlike any other GTA game.

Didn't the GBA one's suck ass?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kind of warming up to this game.

I played the shit of VCS and LCS, and I even liked GTA Advance back in the day.
When I first saw the screens of this I completely wrote it off, but I'm starting to think it might be pretty rad.

Dash Kappei

Going by Edge's preview I say this game is going to rock.

I'd never imagined this game was going in my most wanted DS List when it was announced+awful screenshots' release.

Dash Kappei

Visualante said:
Would've happened already if it was going to.

Nintendo DS release date: 11/21/2004

GTA DS release date: 3/17/2009

Nintendo Wii release date: 11/19/2006
GTA Wii release date: TBA 2011

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So coke-snorting mini game with the stylus I assume. ;P
That's good though, I'm glad it got a 18 rating and they didn't cut anything. More devs need to push this area cause there are a lot of adult ds owners who do have the money to spend on mature ds games.

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
what exactly do they mean by 3 hours of cutscenes? like pre-rendered cutscenes and voice? cuz if so, is that even possible on a DS game, even for the latest 2g cards?

Dash Kappei

Mr.Wuggles said:
what exactly do they mean by 3 hours of cutscenes? like pre-rendered cutscenes and voice? cuz if so, is that even possible on a DS game, even for the latest 2g cards?

I assume those are usual real-time cutscene, done with the game's engine.
Isn't that what GTA always does?

Kaako said:
So coke-snorting mini game with the stylus I assume. ;P
That's good though, I'm glad it got a 18 rating and they didn't cut anything. More devs need to push this area cause there are a lot of adult ds owners who do have the money to spend on mature ds games.

"Mature" is the last thing I'd describe any of the GTA games. The DS has plenty of content for a more mature audience, just because a game doesn't feature violent content does not mean it isn't aimed at a more mature audience. Brain Training certainly didn't gain its popularity by targeting kids.

bluemax

Banned
Colocho said:
Nope, DVD5, I don't know why everyone thinks it's DVD9 though. Anyway, the "Stories" GTAs are completely different from their regulat counter parts so a San Andreas Stories is perfectly doable

You could always do a SA stories that only takes place in Los Santos and some of the outlying area. I know people would bitch if you threw out San Fierro and the other city but it is one feasible solution.

M3wThr33

Banned
The only reason there was no SA Stories was to not compete with GTAIV.

Also, both LCS and VCS used the Vice City Engine.

But yeah, SAS would be awesome. OBVIOUSLY play as Tenpenny.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
M3wThr33 said:
The only reason there was no SA Stories was to not compete with GTAIV.

No :lol
There was no San Andreas Stories becasu VCS sold way less than LCS.

Spiegel

cw_sasuke said:
No :lol
There was no San Andreas Stories becasu VCS sold way less than LCS.

Vice City Stories is a million seller in USA. There's no reason for not doing a San Andreas Stories.

I'm betting for a GTA:SAS Wii/Psp this November.

goomba

Banned
GTA Wii is so coming. Rockstar should be glad that more 'hardcore' games like Overkill, Madworld, No more heroes and the conduit are coming to build up the userbase who would be interested in GTA: Wii.

The godfather for Wii proved how much fun motion and pointer controls can be for a sandbox game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Spiegel said:
Vice City Stories is a million seller in USA. There's no reason for not doing a San Andreas Stories.

1 Mil after 2-3 years isn`t really much for such a Game. PSP software sales for western devs are non.existent, there is enough reason for not doing San Andreas Stories on PSP after all those years. If there is a Wii GTA, it will be excklusive...not a PSP port lol.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
cw_sasuke said:
1 Mil after 2-3 years isn`t really much for such a Game. PSP software sales for western devs are non.existent, there is enough reason for not doing San Andreas Stories on PSP after all those years. If there is a Wii GTA, it will be excklusive...not a PSP port lol.

You really like to talk about the PSP sales these days.

Top Bottom