• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! Official Thread

Captain N

top_1.jpg

top_2.jpg

top_3.jpg

Release Date
Japan 02•11•09

Story
After the Mushroom Kingdom's citizens begin to fall victim to the mysterious "Metakoro Disease," Princess Peach calls a meeting, which is attended by Mario and Luigi. A new character, Yellow Star, has discovered the cause of the disease. Meanwhile, Bowser gets an item called the "Lucky Mushroom," which is actually a trap set by Fawful. It allows Fawful to control Bowser's actions, and gives Bowser the ability to inhale everything. Bowser goes to Peach's meeting and inhales everyone there. From this point, players can control both Bowser and the Marios, who are inside his body. While Bowser and Peach are preoccupied, Fawful takes control of both their castles.

(I got the story from the Wiki site. If you've got anything to add to the official site..PM me or post here.)

Aeana

I really can't wait for this game. I don't tend to play Nintendo games in Japanese, though (I love Treehouse too much), so I'll be waiting for the English version.

Costanza

Banned
Aeana said:
I really can't wait for this game. I don't tend to play Nintendo games in Japanese, though (I love Treehouse too much), so I'll be waiting for the English version.
Has Nintendo given a date yet?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Captain N said:
Story
After the Mushroom Kingdom's citizens begin to fall victim to the mysterious "Metakoro Disease," Princess Peach calls a meeting, which is attended by Mario and Luigi. A new character, Yellow Star, has discovered the cause of the disease. Meanwhile, Bowser gets an item called the "Lucky Mushroom," which is actually a trap set by Fawful. It allows Fawful to control Bowser's actions, and gives Bowser the ability to inhale everything. Bowser goes to Peach's meeting and inhales everyone there. From this point, players can control both Bowser and the Marios, who are inside his body. While Bowser and Peach are preoccupied, Fawful takes control of both their castles.
Captain N said:
Meanwhile, Bowser gets an item called the "Lucky Mushroom," which is actually a trap set by Fawful. It allows Fawful to control Bowser's actions, and gives Bowser the ability to inhale everything. Bowser goes to Peach's meeting and inhales everyone there. From this point, players can control both Bowser and the Marios, who are inside his body. While Bowser and Peach are preoccupied, Fawful takes control of both their castles.
Captain N said:
which is actually a trap set by Fawful
Captain N said:
I HAVE FURY

Captain N

I plan on playing this as much as I can this weekend. I should be done playing through PiT against by Friday when 3 is in my hands.

Llyranor

I'm not sure whether I should be interested in this game. Never really played any previous game in the series (GBA one can't really be found new at a decent price, and people seem to not like the DS one so much). I'll probably keep an eye out for impressions after it's out for a while before I consider getting it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Suburban Cowboy said:
Fuck, why cant we just get Super Mario RPG 2 already
Because the other two Mario RPG series are great and its nearly impossible to make a game in a similar style to SMRPG and have it look appealing to the average customer.

MoxManiac

Fawful! Awesome.

Never played partners in time, but the original GBA Mario & Luigi was the best mario RPG i ever played, much better than SM64 and the PMs.

rareside said:
Will wait for JGAF impressions. Don't really want to play through a mediocre RPG at this time.
It's a Mario & Luigi game. It's not going to be all that different from the first two, and if you played those and didn't like them then there is something wrong with you.

Tucah

you speak so well
I hope it comes out stateside soon. Loved the first one, was lukewarm on the second, but more Fawful is enough to give this one a chance.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
polyh3dron said:
Only DS game I've ever imported was Jump Superstars. An RPG? I don't know Japanese, so fuck that.
Part of the fun is figuring out what you're actually supposed to be doing.

sykoex said:
Part of the fun is figuring out what you're actually supposed to be doing.
Yeah but I want to know what's going on in the story and I want to be able to understand all of Fawful's dialogue so I can laugh at it.

rareside

polyh3dron said:
It's a Mario & Luigi game. It's not going to be all that different from the first two, and if you played those and didn't like them then there is something wrong with you.

I enjoyed Superstar Saga. Never played the one with the babies. I'm not really an RPG player though. Been gaming for over 20 years, and probably have played less than 10 RPGs in my life. What stood out to me in Superstar Saga was the script. If they can deliver another fantastic story with decent gameplay, I may bite.

I was really skeptical about this game since Partners in Time sucked, so I've pretty much ignored it until recently. After watching the videos though, the game actually looks really good. I hope it comes through, cuz I'd love to play a game as good as Superstar Saga again.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Pitch Black Flint said:
I was really skeptical about this game since Partners in Time sucked, so I've pretty much ignored it until recently. After watching the videos though, the game actually looks really good. I hope it comes through, cuz I'd love to play a game as good as Superstar Saga again.
The way I see it, playing as Bowser >>>>> playing as Mario babies.

Whadaya mean? Luigi was completely ignored for the longest time until Superstar Saga came along. And that self-referential bit was half the humor of the game. At least he's getting some attention, even if he's the butt of the joke.

Rpgmonkey

Looking forward to this. :)

Captain N said:
No one else is importing this game?!?

I would, but there are games coming that will likely push this away, plus I'm expecting the English translation to be more fun than in Japanese.

I didn't know it was being released so soon. Too bad the english translation won't probably come untill Q4 knowing Reggie and his minions. NoE save us!

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
Can't wait!! I love all these mario rpg games!! I don't remember caring about Fawful though. I haven't played the first mario and luigi since it came out.

perfectchaos007 said:
lol. It's even worse in the Paper Mario series. He's like the village idiot in those games.

I still say they need to make a Paper Luigi game out of the plot from the side-stories of Luigi's tales in The Thousand Year Door.

TreIII

Captain N said:

Here. Looking forward to my copy by hopefully Wednesday/Thursday.

BrandNew said:
I still say they need to make a Paper Luigi game out of the plot from the side-stories of Luigi's tales in The Thousand Year Door.

Nah. It was a nice lil side-joke, but if Luigi gets his own thing, let it be something new.

But personally, I'm hoping THIS game finally is the one that pretty much makes it a mandate for Bowser to get his own damn game.

He's like the only "central" Mario-verse character who has yet to get his own title. Even Toad was the main starring role in Wario's Woods, and Peach got her own game recently. Bowser needs his own, now. He's been proving that he can carry a game by himself, since PM:TTYD

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Captain N said:

Day two I will pick this up with Street Fighter this week

Ramenman

Bububu why do I get the strange impression that Partners in time was released in english before being released in Japanese ?

Anyway, can't wait to play this. Those games are always an awesome take on Nintendo's universe. Like an auto-parody of some sort.

It allows Fawful to control Bowser's actions, and gives Bowser the ability to inhale everything.

Seriously wtf :lol

And Fawful is back ? Did we have a change of developpers or what ?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TreIII said:
Here. Looking forward to my copy by hopefully Wednesday/Thursday.

Nah. It was a nice lil side-joke, but if Luigi gets his own thing, let it be something new.

But personally, I'm hoping THIS game finally is the one that pretty much makes it a mandate for Bowser to get his own damn game.

He's like the only "central" Mario-verse character who has yet to get his own title. Even Toad was the main starring role in Wario's Woods, and Peach got her own game recently. Bowser needs his own, now. He's been proving that he can carry a game by himself, since PM:TTYD

dude he's been carrying the RPGs since SMRPG

Ramenman

perfectchaos007 said:
lol. It's even worse in the Paper Mario series. He's like the village idiot in those games.

No, the village idiot in the Paper Mario series (at least in TTYD) is clearly Bowser.

Which is so fucking awesome.

Top Bottom