• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the official drakensang thread of of of of of JESUS CHRIST GERMAN RPG (now on steam)

[ah hur hur hur imagine that here's a stupid picture from some unemployed teenboy twat that reads: DRAKENSANG NEOGAF OFFICIAL THREAD!!!!!]

[imagine some pictures of fuck i dunno whatever you want the game to be in your crazy fevered little head, like i fuckin' care]

anyway, who picked up drakensang for the pc on friday? i sure did! is it good? yeah!

ah, fuck, here's a random screenshot to establish context. i have no idea how some of you have the fortitude to assemble actual official threads. there's not a single game i like enough to even google more than one screenshot for.

280864_full.jpg

aaaand here's a link to the homepage: http://www.drakensang.com/

SO ANYWAY drakensang is a pc rpg in the vein of neverwinter nights, although it plays a lot more like a three-dee baldur's gate than the nwn/nwn2 titles did, plus it has the added benefit of NOT being based on dnd and its retarded spellcasting rules. it uses the "das schwarz auge" pen-and-paper rules (hence the subtitle "THE DARK EYE"), which are quite a bit less nonsensical than the dnd equivalent, although still fairly damn detailed for statfiend nerdlingers like me.

"will i like it?" you ask in a piping voice because that's all you really care about, and to that end i will spend the following three to five minutes typing out a list of pluses and minuses. if you find that unsatisfying i may deign to answer your questions, but if *i* find that unsatisfying i will either go back to playing drakensang -or- i will mock you roundly and THEN go back to playing drakensang until my daughter tries to up-end her bowl of oatmeal on me for sport again.

drakensang pluses:

+ it is very polished, largely bug-free, runs really well on middling hardware (nvidia 6800 or better, 2 gb ram, some crappy low-end core 2 duo/centrino -- JESUS CHRISTOS UPGRADE ALREADY).

+ decent-to-good real-time interface: map is largely clear, party orders and management are a breeze (you can always pause with the space bar, ala bg), and the effects of equipment are clearly communicated. you can right-click on everything.

+ das schwarz auge system lets you tweak lots and lots of stats, skills, and modifiers. you spend experience points at any time into upgrading skills. levelling up is sort of a nominal event that gives you a bit of a boost, and is more to reduce experience gains from low-level encounters than to go WHOA HEY IN ZERTHIMON'S NAME I HAVE BECOME STRONGER.

+ LOTS of cool classes to dork around with, including pirates, charlatans, and metamages. there's a good fifteen or so total, and there's a lot of skills and modifiers to mix-and-match between 'em.

+ art direction is solid overall. most character models look pretty dang good, and i like the over-expressive and almost comical character animation. spell effects are clean and can be impressive, unlike SAAAAAY oblivion. environments are well-designed, if a bit generic and brown/grey in the early hours. the first major city is lively and has a lot of folks to harrass. animu freakboys stay away: i have not seen a single loli yet. please go lock yourselves back in your smelly apartments and die alone surrounded by half-nude pvc figurines of chun-li in fetishwear.

+ there are a lot of dialogue skills and modifiers that net you xp for not fighting, although there is no real good/evil system (you are always good or snarky).

+ dungeons seem sufficiently long without being tedious, and have a few simple puzzles to keep things moving.

+ party members have (relatively) unique personalities, like to chat, and can be interacted with for quests et al. it's very baldur's gate in this fashion.

+ translation is solid if not spectacular. va work is passable, unlike most localizations of non-english european pc rpgs.

+ it is BLOODY HUGE like 60+ hour HYYYOOOOOJ. lots of unique locales so far, and not a lot of backtracking.

+ the insane schizophrenic alchemist old lady character is awesome.

+ there're a lot of awesome mustaches and hats in this game.

drakensang minuses:

- TOO MANY RATS IN THE EARLY GAME. holy bubonic plague the first major dungeon is CLEAR THE RATS FROM A BREWERY and they weren't kidding: it is all rats. SNORE.

- you GOTTA spend points on "treat wounds" and "treat poison" or this game will become save/reload hell. also, buy loads of bandages and the herb that heals poison early on, or your party will get trashed by gangrene. the skills and healing items are cheap in terms of their respective costs, but come on, radon labs! mix it up a bit.

- the plot and world are generic tolkienesque fantasy of the most mundane variety. seriously, this is like a cheetoh-stinking time-travel trip back to the days of dnd 1st edition and its tragic tolkien mimickry. even 2nd edition had more interesting lore! i know this is based on a classic german pnp rpg, but come ON jerry: tolkien himself was shootin' up your ancestors back in the trenches. the least you could do is NOT flatter him so much, and come up with something a little more original.

- the camera is pretty fidgity, and you may hafta pause from time to time just to get a good place to click to move your party and avoid some tragically lame pathfinding shenanigans. you can twiddle the controls to a more wow-like ASWD set of controls, but i haven't found that necessary yet.

- it will take a couple restarts just to get a sense for what stats/skills do what for you. i didn't mind because the starting area is small and easy, plus all the classes seem pretty intersting to muck with.

- it takes awhile to really get into the cool equipment, encounters, and abilities. like five hours awhile. :(

- the rest of the characters who are not an insane alchemist grandma are kinda generic and dull. dranor the mustachio'd pimp might be okay.

overall, i have totally poopsocked this fucking game -- fuck, i was up until 4am last night playing it, and i'm gonna waste today neglecting my family playing it as well. i just locked the brat in the prayer closet and sent my wife to inspa with a fistful of gift cards and NOW i am gonna nerd it the FUCK UP you sad sacks.

oh, and this uses the same ruleset as the "realms of arkania" games from way back when, minus some of the more useless skills and stats (and there were a lot of them).

Drinky Crow said:
- the plot and world are generic tolkeinesque fantasy of the most mundane variety. seriously, this is like a cheetoh-stinking time-travel trip back to the days of dnd 1st edition and its tragic tolkein mimickry. even 2nd edition had more interesting lore! i know this is based on a classic german pnp rpg, but come ON jerry: tolkein himself was shootin' up your ancestors back in the trenches. the least you could do is NOT flatter him so much, and come up with something a little more original.
Considering Tolkein simply rips off Teutonic and Scandinavian mythology wholesale, I don't know if you can blame the Germans on this one. Tolkein was a wannabe.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
are you talking about j.r.r. tolkien? or is "tolkein" like spelling magic as "magicke" in nerd groups, i.e. some special nerdspeak with which i'm not wholly familiar?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
you don't read him, you just--as i said--argue about how original his work is and reference old d&d games :lol

read in the present tense, not the past. like you, i was thirteen once, although it is not a condition that persists as it does for some

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
You had me at Realms of Arkania! I kind of wish fantasy games didn't exhaust my soul the moment I see an autumnal-hued medieval screenshot, but I guess that's kind of the rules unless you're Darkside of Xeen, and pretty quickly you ignore everything except the numbers anyway.

Speaking of which I bet this will be five times as good as Dragon Age despite being made for a tenth of its budget and production time, but will review consistently lower, so again, I AM IN.

firex

Sounds like a pretty awesome game, especially if the rules actually work well for a PC RPG and don't require some awkward changes to make them fit as a videogame like D&D does (or did? 4th edition at least sounds like it'd be the ultimate SRPG ruleset).

dragona: i can blame them for not honoring their own myths more instead of simply SLIGHTLY refactoring the whole trope created by tolkien -- the elves-and-dwarves-and-orcs-and-dragons middle-earth OH MY potpurri.

White Man

Leatherface said:
Ok damn it. I'll try it. :)

*downloading now*

Where is this available for direct download? I don't want to have to put on pants to buy it.

I don't want to have to wear underwear ever again

Leatherface

White Man said:
Where is this available for direct download? I don't want to have to put on pants to buy it.

I don't want to have to wear underwear ever again

I would also like to know this. (my pants are off mostly)

dionysus

Yaldog
My 30 seconds of effort of searching on Impulse, Steam, and the official site reveals nothing. Do I have to go back to the stone ages and pick up a retail copy to play this?

Also, there is a demo at http://www.drakensang.com/ if people are too poor to just buy games on a whim or have a shit pc.

Edit. God fucking damn can wrpgs get some new fucking music.

Ricker

There's a huge demo for this game and I liked it a lot...it reminds me of Neverwinter Nights a bit and it ran pretty well and looked nice enough on my 4 year old rig...at 29 bucks I might pick this up down the line.

Durante

I played the German version a while ago. In many ways it was great, I especially enjoyed revisiting the DSA system (I played PnP DSA over a decade ago). What prevented me completely loving the game was the really tired setting and story -- I know that's not the most popular opinion on GAF but in a RPG it counts more for me than gameplay and polish combined. Still, certainly a game everyone looking for a classic WRPG experience should consider!

Drinky Crow said:
i have no idea how some of you have the fortitude to assemble actual official threads. there's not a single game i like enough to even google more than one screenshot for.
Considering that, you wrote a lot about it.

thread would have been better if you had resurrected the "why are you not playing this instead of your loli rape sims" but I guess that's overplayed at this point.

There's no outlet for digital distribution of this game yet. Supposedly Best Buys around the country will have it in stock next week. Gamestop is selling it in some places, though the closest one to me is 1,100 miles away according to their system-East Coasters, don't even bother trying there.

I know Gamestop is selling/shipping it out through the web right now. Only decent lead I can find, Amazon says 2-5 weeks.

watership

Dragona Akehi said:
Really at this point it's simply returning the favour he did to his "sources".

You are hilarious. I'm sure you are the reincarnated talesmith from a scandinavian tribe very upset that the other tribe across the lake ripped off your oral tradition and told it with different names. Sheesh.

ultim8p00 said:
Damn, he's doing it again. Is it just your tag drinky? This is bothering me for some reason.

i am not actually a real poster; i am one of evilore's quantum experiments with faster-than-light internet technology. my http stack is always several seconds out of phase with the gaf servers; hence, i am posting BEFORE i am banned, and when i am banned, i am not actually THERE to be banned. i am heisenberg's poster.

drinky, talk dirty to me. How is the encounter/area design and itemization so far? These things, along with tons and tons of stats, are what form the holy CRPG trinity for me.

ultim8p00

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
i am not actually a real poster; i am one of evilore's quantum experiments with faster-than-light internet technology. my http stack is always several seconds out of phase with the gaf servers; hence, i am posting BEFORE i am banned, and when i am banned, i am not actually THERE to be banned. i am heisenberg's poster.

Yeah so it's just your tag. That's the only logical explanation I can think of.

Fragamemnon said:
drinky, talk dirty to me. How is the encounter/area design and itemization so far? These things, along with tons and tons of stats, are what form the holy CRPG trinity for me.

early encounter area/design ain't so hot -- it's most rats, wolves, amoebas (lol) and bandits in linear caves. same for itemization: the cool magic stuff with crazy modifiers doesn't show up until about a fourth of the way in. later on (and i am nowhere near the endgame), it gets really good, with challenging spellcasters, enemy warriors with varied skills, and crazy dragon fights. the dungeons also get a bit puzzle-y and less linear, although they still remain fairly straightforward. at least the art direction changes up for a more exotic look!

Drinky Crow said:
early encounter area/design ain't so hot -- it's most rats, wolves, amoebas (lol) and bandits in linear caves. same for itemization: the cool magic stuff with crazy modifiers doesn't show up until about a fourth of the way in. later on (and i am nowhere near the endgame), it gets really good, with challenging spellcasters, enemy warriors with varied skills, and crazy dragon fights. the dungeons also get a bit puzzle-y and less linear, although they still remain fairly straightforward. at least the art direction changes up for a more exotic look!

Sounds perfect. Despite having gorged myself on the new Puzzle Quest game last night,I wish this had been in stock at the local pawnstop instead.

to their credit, they get the sewer thing over early and briefly. god how i hate sewers.

edit: another plus: there are a lot of quick-travel devices that let you jump to different levels of dungeons or map areas without backtracking. also, quests are always flagged on the map, wow-style, and the quest log is well done. i love this shit. KRAUTS RULE #1

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Sounds right up my alley.

Question: Do you make your whole party or just one dude and recruit the others as you go?

you make one dude/dudette and after that people offer to join you as you progress, bg-style. early on you get a party mansion where you can store party members and kit you aren't using.

unrelated but: this forum is trash. this game is out; dq5 is out; a new fire emblem is out; prinny is out; dawn of war 2 is out; and all you retards can talk about is a mediocre sony-exclusive fps? evilore, shut this forum down.

Aeana

Drinky Crow said:
unrelated but: this forum is trash. this game is out; dq5 is out; a new fire emblem is out; prinny is out; dawn of war 2 is out; and all you retards can talk about is a mediocre sony-exclusive fps? evilore, shut this forum down.
The lack of traffic in the DQ5 and Fire Emblem threads is pretty tragic. :(

White Man

I catassed DQ5 last night while marathoning Married with Children on Hulu. It was pretty much the best night ever.

I nabbed Fire Emblem yesterday but I haven't played yet because I don't want to interrupt my DQ5 roll. I am loving DQ5 lotsa lots.

firex

So does it also include the standard dialogue trees typical to BG style WRPGs? and for that matter, do I get to be an asshole to people, or is it just "I am a good guy, I will do this lawfully good deed for you and reject all rewards/I am a bad guy, I will kill you and take the reward" stuff? Not that this would take away from the dungeon crawling, but I'd hate to have a crappy dialogue system foisted on me.

Drinky Crow said:
dragona: i can blame them for not honoring their own myths more instead of simply SLIGHTLY refactoring the whole trope created by tolkien -- the elves-and-dwarves-and-orcs-and-dragons middle-earth OH MY potpurri.

Replace Orcs with Frost Giants and it's still pretty close. Still pretty sad though.

Aeana said:
The lack of traffic in the DQ5 and Fire Emblem threads is pretty tragic. :(

As soon as DQV physically arrives that'll change. I still can't believe you've completed it before I've even received it. :(

Downloading the demo. Sounds a bit heavy for me, but I want to try something new.

Also about time someone said it about the superflous imagery in 'OFFICIAL THREAD OF's

This looks to be pretty substantial! There's no way my PC could run this, but for a future PC this would seem to be something that'd make for some good play. I also see that they now have a prequel in development---awesome as that means they've done well enough out of the gate to keep going!

Thanks drinky!

Drinky Crow said:

This.

More people need to play Prinny.

Top Bottom