• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 7th Dragon thread of two OPs for the price of one!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Hey folks, I'm afraid this first post won't be full of much info as I have barely gotten any play time in, but I'm a little surprised and greatly pleased at how awesome the game is in the first 10 minutes or so.

I don't really read up on a lot of games before they come out these days on purpose. I much prefer to have some sort of fun with games and feel knowing everything ruins that fun to an extent. So I was very surprised to find this game is basically a JRPG mixed with WoW.

Before you guys start shitting your pants with fear, let me explain. Etrian Odyssey at it's heart was a game where you get quests, and grind. Mind you, every encounter was life or death and it had bottomless depth, but outside the dungeons the game was just some menus. 7th Dragon now has towns, and people and well, it's less Wizardry and more Dragon Quest. I think most of us knew this coming in. So, the question, at least in my mind was, how were they going to make the towns people relevant and how were they going to make a rather non linear story work? The answer is, quest givers! Now no, these guys don't have yellow exclamation points on top of their heads, but you do talk to people and they do give you quests like "Bring me 3 fruit" and "Talk to the Handsome Knight in ____ town" with quest rewards much like the ones from EO. To be fair, this is really not much of a change from EO, there seems to be a greater frequency of quests, and the objectives seem to be a little more obvious, but aside from the way you get them (which to me seems very mmo) not much has changed.

Then we have character creation.

Maybe I have been in Japan too long, but I have to say that I love the female characters in this game and my party is 3/4th lacking a Y chromosome and 1/4th puffy hat. Man, the blonde healer is adorable. Okay enough of that. The skill system is what everyone wants to know about.

It hasn't really changed much, but this again is (for one, it's more legible) a little more WoW in it's presentation. In fact, the visual representation of your skills looks a looooooooooot like a talent tree. It's nice though you can kind of get the gist of where the skills you put points in to lead to (Btw, you start with 3).

Right, anyway, I will play a lot more after work as I ran out kind of late last night to get it. Here are some random thoughts.

Battles are fun! Random mobs are not as hard as in EO, but that doesn't mean I wasn't in danger of dying a few times. Your healer will be busy, if you have one that is.

Music is AWEESOMEEEEEE, the battle music is AWEESOMEEEEEEEE.

The text is more legible, but I missed a lot in the intro due to being a slow reader of Japanese, when I restart my game tonight I will give more solid impressions of the actual story. From what I gather there are these people called "Handymen" and some stuff happens.

Saving is done at the inn, and it costs money. Eek. I don't think I encountered any enemies that do drop money, so be careful and don't splurge on items without checking inn costs first.

Finally, this game is so awesome.

My party is:

Blonde F Healer
Green F PalaKnight
Puffy hat M Mage
Purple F Warrior

I'd post a pic but photobucket is blocked at work (wtf).

Edit: rk OP GATTAI!

2cxajxi.jpg

http://dragon.sega.jp/

Story
A long time ago in a NeoGAF not so far away, Yuji Horii hit his head when getting out of bed one morning. He then decided that Dragon Quest IX should not only be on the DS but should also be an action RPG. This caused much a rumbling on the NeoGAF and there were many a meltdown and many a ban. Kazuya Niinou, in his infinite wisdom said "If Horii will fail to bring a true Dragon Quest to the DS, then I shall fill in the gap." Horii's brain damage scaled back and DQ9 is now a rightfully so turn-based game. But then the great bug of "Stupid Online Shit" found its way into Dragon Quest 9 and now this month is left with only one turn based RPG that you must buy.

Gameplay
When players start their journey, they can create their own characters from the following classes: Mage, Princess, Rogue, Knight, Samurai, Fighter, or Healer. Outside of battle the characters will be viewed traveling the overworld from an overhead perspective, while the battles are viewed from a side perspective showing each character as they attack their foes. It is going to be fuck awesome.

Photos
I can't find anything. Shit is blocked at work. :(

Release Dates:
Nintendo DS: March 5, 2009 (Japan)
Playstation 3: Never
PC: Yarrrrrrrrrrrr

Review Scores
7th Dragon 9 8 8 8

GAF QUOTES

octopusman said:
They just can't stop walking can they?

Flying_Phoenix said:
Looks terrible IMO. The art really doesn't look good in motion, well compared to the screens at least.

jaundicejuice said:
Damn, this game sounds simply amazing.

NintendosBooger said:
If this game is anything like EO, you can count me out.

I say with no exaggeration or personal vendetta that Etrian Odyssey is, by far, the most boring game I have played in my entire life. I let the lush green environment and the colorful characters showcased in the previews fool me into believing that EO would be anything but one of the most dreaded experiences I would find in any role-playing game.

There's a reason why this particular sub-genre of role-playing games is on the brink of a well-deserved death.

I expect the full package from role-playing games: great gameplay, interesting characters, a nice world, and a good story. If I wanted to engage in strict gameplay, I'd occupy myself with chess or checkers.

JaCy said:
I like the art style, its cute.
When is it supposed to come out in JP?

sp0rsk said:
No it doesn't.

So I'll be picking it up tomorrow and I'm excited to play it, but I haven't finished Devil Survivor yet. :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
ZOOOOOOOOOOOOMG this is out?
Why don't we have more impressions!?

MOAR IMPRESHUNZ!!!!

CTLance

For the love of all that is good and holy, sporsk, please use tinypic or some other free hoster! They can't be all blocked... I need to know more, and pics are a perfect way to achieve that.

But yeah, I am looking forward to this.

Aeana

Mejilan said:
ZOOOOOOOOOOOOMG this is out?
Why don't we have more impressions!?

MOAR IMPRESHUNZ!!!!
Because the game isn't even out yet. Mine shipped early this morning, so I'll have it in a few days.

duckroll

Mine shipped yesterday from P-A, so I'll either have it by this weekend, or early next week. Meanwhile I'm finishing up DQV which seems to be taking a while. Great impressions sporsk. How's the manual? Is it nice and thick or did Sega cheap out on the printing?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
2cxajxi.jpg

http://dragon.sega.jp/

Story
A long time ago in a NeoGAF not so far away, Yuji Horii hit his head when getting out of bed one morning. He then decided that Dragon Quest IX should not only be on the DS but should also be an action RPG. This caused much a rumbling on the NeoGAF and there were many a meltdown and many a ban. Kazuya Niinou, in his infinite wisdom said "If Horii will fail to bring a true Dragon Quest to the DS, then I shall fill in the gap." Horii's brain damage scaled back and DQ9 is now a rightfully so turn-based game. But then the great bug of "Stupid Online Shit" found its way into Dragon Quest 9 and now this month is left with only one turn based RPG that you must buy.

Gameplay
When players start their journey, they can create their own characters from the following classes: Mage, Princess, Rogue, Knight, Samurai, Fighter, or Healer. Outside of battle the characters will be viewed traveling the overworld from an overhead perspective, while the battles are viewed from a side perspective showing each character as they attack their foes. It is going to be fuck awesome.

Photos
I can't find anything. Shit is blocked at work. :(

Release Dates:
Nintendo DS: March 5, 2009 (Japan)
Playstation 3: Never
PC: Yarrrrrrrrrrrr

Review Scores
7th Dragon 9 8 8 8

GAF QUOTES

octopusman said:
They just can't stop walking can they?

Flying_Phoenix said:
Looks terrible IMO. The art really doesn't look good in motion, well compared to the screens at least.

jaundicejuice said:
Damn, this game sounds simply amazing.

NintendosBooger said:
If this game is anything like EO, you can count me out.

I say with no exaggeration or personal vendetta that Etrian Odyssey is, by far, the most boring game I have played in my entire life. I let the lush green environment and the colorful characters showcased in the previews fool me into believing that EO would be anything but one of the most dreaded experiences I would find in any role-playing game.

There's a reason why this particular sub-genre of role-playing games is on the brink of a well-deserved death.

I expect the full package from role-playing games: great gameplay, interesting characters, a nice world, and a good story. If I wanted to engage in strict gameplay, I'd occupy myself with chess or checkers.

JaCy said:
I like the art style, its cute.
When is it supposed to come out in JP?

sp0rsk said:
No it doesn't.

So I'll be picking it up tomorrow and I'm excited to play it, but I haven't finished Devil Survivor yet. :(

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Goddammit. :(
Not all of us have leak shops.

RevenantKioku

duckroll said:
I think we will need to create a compromise here.
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERGE?

Edit: And my title is better. :(

duckroll

Okay, I still don't think anyone will give a shit about this thread since most people aren't getting the game and Sega hasn't announced a US release, but hey, now we only have one thread to deal with. :lol

bounchfx

funny I thought it was a negative that they went back to turn based.

on topic:
this game looks awesome, can't wait to try it.

RevenantKioku

bounchfx said:
funny I thought it was a negative that they went back to turn based.
Only if you're silly.

I'm kinda pumped but I have to wait for Thursday afternoon to buy the game and maybe even Saturday afternoon to play it. "/

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I was so confused for a second, I thought sp0rsk was playing Devil Survivor. :lol

Awesome impressions sp0rsk, sounds good so far.

bounchfx

pftch, I could probably get a very good idea of what DQIX plays like by playing ANY OF THE OTHER GAMES IN THE SERIES. sure, this is great I guess if you're into that, and it IS the same series, but it doesn't have to be that similar every time. but lately I'm preferring action rpg's to wait-and-attack games.

I do like both, but I was just so excited that 9 was going action, and four player, etc. (aka that it was getting with the times), but then they took it all back.

it still looks awesome, though.

Aeana

bounchfx said:
pftch, I could probably get a very good idea of what DQIX plays like by playing ANY OF THE OTHER GAMES IN THE SERIES. sure, this is great I guess if you're into that, and it IS the same series, but it doesn't have to be that similar every time. but lately I'm preferring action rpg's to wait-and-attack games.

I do like both, but I was just so excited that 9 was going action, and four player, etc. (aka that it was getting with the times), but then they took it all back.

it still looks awesome, though.
You do realize that 7th Dragon is Niinou's take on Dragon Quest 3, and is exactly the kind of game you just said you're tired of, right?

BitchTits

"Saving is done at the inn, and it costs money."

:-? Why would they do that?!

The thread has peaked my interest in this though. When is the US version out?

bounchfx

Aeana said:
You do realize that 7th Dragon is Niinou's take on Dragon Quest 3, and is exactly the kind of game you just said you're tired of, right?

nope, certainly didn't realize that. doesn't mean I'm not interested in trying it.

sprsk

More 7D loving the better.

I don't wanna start the hyperbole machine yet, but I think this is going to be one big.

Llyranor

Lots of fetch quests isn't a good thing in my book :/

I'm tentatively interested in this game, but will remain skeptical for now. I enjoyed EO to some extent, but found it too repetitive to finish. I was probably at the 20th floor or so. Boss fights were challenging and engaging, but many regular battles I just found tedium (especially since I'd sometimes have to go back to town to rest up, and then have to trek back). The main problem I had with the game is that, while there were a good number of classes and decent customization within each class, overall you were pretty limited in how each of your characters ended up (sure, you had some leeway, but still fairly restrictive); which led to limited available tactics in battles. Of course, you had the option of just creating new characters, to add new classes or different builds of the same classes, etc. Only, that just lead to having to grind them up from level 1. The tedium/reward ratio was just too high. Would have enjoyed the game a whole lot more if you actually had the option (for a small xp penalty, perhaps, or a fee in gold) to recustomize your characters as needed, including changing class. As it was, I was just stuck with the characters I had, and wanting to change overall tactics around just meant I needed to add new characters that I needed to train up again. Being able to make new characters not starting at level 1 would actually have been a nice option. Take the average party level, and have each new character created reach that level, minus maybe one or two levels.

On the other hand, I'm actually very excited for DQ9. Co-op turn-based might not be a very important feature for some, but it's the primary selling point for me.

lyre

Your potential recruits of the nonSD variety, rehosted and hyperlinked, altho its the SD versions that are mainly used in-game:

Then there's this random girl-thing; she probably has a magic pendant or something:
woman666.png

Random screens:
battle02630.png
battle03590.png
field01426.png
field02663.png

aizen02587.png
guildoffice789.png
kazan02940.png
town01336.png

world_flower111.png
04893.png
status01822.png
status02170.png

I'm still unsure about the whole cat-ears thing ( "/ ) but looking forward to this, nonetheless.

But agreed that since only about three guys here will get past the 5 hour mark, there's really no point to an official thread.

sprsk

lyre said:
I'm still unsure about the whole cat-ears thing ( "/ ) but looking forward to this, nonetheless.

But agreed that since only about three guys here will get past the 5 hour mark, there's really no point to an official thread.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The game does deal with a few issues I had with EO, like the oppressive overworld. The game isn't 1000% ball busting hard either; and it actually has a sense of progression early on in the game.

It's a lot more accessible than EO I think. I have a feeling Kodama had a hand in making it that way.

This looks good. I wouldn't be surprised if it never gets localized, though. I can't read Japanese either. Is it actually from the same team that made EO? Oh, right. As if the interface weren't enough.

-New game from Niinou, the director of Etrian Odyssey.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
sp0rsk said:
Saving is done at the inn, and it costs money. Eek. I don't think I encountered any enemies that do drop money, so be careful and don't splurge on items without checking inn costs first.
I need to understand this. There is a suspend save for when you actually need to stop playing and having to pay at the inn is only for the permanent save... right?

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Man, the character designs are trash compared to Etrian Odyssey's. But everything else about this game seems so, so good. Niinou did Wizardry one better with EO, and I'm hoping he and Kodama can do the same to Dragon Quest with this. I've been champing at the bit to get my hands on the full version since I tried it at TGS. Definitely my most-anticipated game right now.

If someone doesn't localize this I will destroy all publishers, indiscriminately. Starting with Sega.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It looks absolutely beautiful but I'm going to hold out on an English release for this one I think. Too many games to play that I'm afraid if I grabbed this from P-A it'd just be lost and never played.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
This game looks great, I can't wait.

sp0rsk said:
I wouldn't be so sure about that. The game does deal with a few issues I had with EO, like the oppressive overworld. The game isn't 1000% ball busting hard either; and it actually has a sense of progression early on in the game.

It's a lot more accessible than EO I think. I have a feeling Kodama had a hand in making it that way.

How much less difficult is it than EO?

Yaweee

What barriers are in place to keep you from accessing every town from the very beginning? If there are none, then the game sounds like it would play more like a SaGa than a DQ.

I'm assuming you can respec like in EO (resting), but what's the cost?

Aeana

Yaweee said:
What barriers are in place to keep you from accessing every town from the very beginning? If there are none, then the game sounds like it would play more like a SaGa than a DQ.

I'm assuming you can respec like in EO (resting), but what's the cost?
Well, I've been anticipating a SaGa-style scenario progression since they've been advertising the game's "free scenario."

I'm not excited about it.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Definitely excited for the art and style. Will have to wait for it to come with Dengeki Gakuen though...

zoku88

So this is kinda like DQIII + EO then?

Maybe I will try this out eventually, afterall....

EDIT: You're actually using guys?

Top Bottom