• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mid-Missouri Internet Crimes Task Force: Animal Crossing Wii is for pedos

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Wat

Wii Gamers Vulnerable To Crime
Young children receiving inappropriate contact through a variety of Internet based games and programs.

Story written by Jacqueline Lapine
Story posted on March 11, 2009

If your kids play interactive video games, like the Nintendo Wii, be on the lookout. The Mid-Missouri Internet Crimes Task Force is warning of predators using games like, "Animal Crossing- City Folk," to target kids.

Using the game you create a character and create your own town and house. When hooked up to the internet you can talk to anyone across the country. Kids playing the game have no control over what other players might be saying. For example, the character we ran across could be the man in California police are warning about.

"There is no reason an adult should have this game," says Andy Anderson, Mid-Missouri Internet Crimes Task Force. Anderson says adults playing "animal crossing" and similar games are likely doing it for the wrong reasons.

You probably have told your kids never to talk to strangers, but when playing, the heart of the game is building relationships with the animals in your town as well as other players. To really reach the next level, the game urges you to exchange letters, gifts, and favors.

Anderson says it is going to take parents paying attention to keep this problem from exploding.

"The equipment is real expensive and we cannot afford to buy all of the systems and do not have the resources either to examine all of the possibilities," Anderson explains. Right now, we only know of the three Missouri children who have been contacted. Anderson says this is not something to be paranoid about, but to be aware.

This warning includes any web-based game that allows instant messaging or voice-over IP.
Apparently their department can't afford to buy all the game consoles that can go online either. :lol

Is this what passes for journalism these days?

They can't afford the equipment, yet young and impressionable children can? I don't understand these guys. Are you sure this is not an Onion article?

When hooked up to the internet you can talk to anyone across the country. Kids playing the game have no control over what other players might be saying. For example, the character we ran across could be the man in California police are warning about.

:lol

Barrett2

"There is no reason an adult should have this game," says Andy Anderson, Mid-Missouri Internet Crimes Task Force. Anderson says adults playing "animal crossing" and similar games are likely doing it for the wrong reasons.

Oh shit!!!

*Furiously looks for copy of Animal Crossing and shreds it before cops arrive*

SuperEnemyCrab said:
When hooked up to the internet you can talk to anyone across the country. Kids playing the game have no control over what other players might be saying. For example, the character we ran across could be the man in California police are warning about.

:lol

this....this is amazing. :lol :lol

Barrett2

I love how in one sentence they tell parents there is probably nothing to worry about; but then imply elsewhere that in their one hour play-time they were basically e-molested. How the fuck did they add the molestor to their friend list to begin with? So much nonsense in that story. :lol

markatisu

I wonder if anyone has informed them that this game has been around for more than 5 years (City Folk is hardly an evolution from the N64/Cube AC edition)

Osuwari

wat

i thought friend codes were too complicated/annoying for people.

how come these guys get through that so easily?

dani_dc

So much work with friend codes to avoid this kind issues (and bad publicity) and somehow this news report simply overlook that small aspect of the game :lol

You would expect a journalist to at least do some investigation about what he's reporting.

Someone should tell them that Friend Codes prevent Wii owners from being molested (by anyone other than close friends or family members).

XiaNaphryz

dani_dc said:
So much work with friend codes to avoid this kind issues (and bad publicity) and somehow this news report simply overlook that small aspect of the game :lol

You would expect a journalist to at least do some investigation about what he's reporting.
You would also expect a journalist to do some basic copy editing to check for things like capitalization of proper nouns like the game in question, especially after they did it everywhere else in the article. That lower case "animal crossing" in quotes caught my eye right away reading this the first time. :lol

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Excellent work MMICTF! I feel safer already knowing these crack troops are making sure kids are safe from people who they have sent a 12 digit number to and who have in turn received a 12 digit number from and then entered it into the game, and then arranged for that person to visit their virtual town.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
303d6s2.png

XiaNaphryz

poppabk said:
Excellent work MMICTF! I feel safer already knowing these crack troops are making sure kids are safe from people who they have sent a 12 digit number to and who have in turn received a 12 digit number from and then entered it into the game, and then arranged for that person to visit their virtual town.
Can you imagine how much more good they can do once they can afford to get a 360? Hmmm, maybe not that one as they probably wouldn't shell out for Gold. But when they save up for a PS3, look out Internets!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Leondexter said:
Someone should tell them that Friend Codes prevent Wii owners from being molested (by anyone other than close friends or family members).

The people most likely to do it! Hooray!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
HK-47 said:
The people most likely to do it! Hooray!
I'm surprised that isn't in the article.
"The Wii is specifically set-up by Nintendo to allow contact between children and the people who are statistically most likely to molest them" says Andy Anderson founder and sole member of the Mid-Missouri Internet Crimes Task Force. "The equipment is real expensive and we cannot afford to buy all of the systems, up until last week we were stuck playing on a PS2 which started getting DRE errors" Anderson explains, "so I decided to use some scare tactics about California pedophiles so I could get some funds for a Wii."
Anderson hopes that as parents receive misinformation about the risks involved with the Wii that the department will approve his budget application for "an extra remote and the nunchuck thingy".

Minsc

Gold Member
Next up, AIG blames Animal Crossing for the economic crisis because it encourages paying off your mortgage at your own convenience rather than teaching monthly payments!

Neomoto

Oh man this is hilarious. Even with the online system that would prevent this the most some idiots still make these kind of articles.

Kids playing the game have no control over what other players might be saying. For example, the character we ran across could be the man in California police are warning about.
:lol ! Oh no! This applies to pretty much everything in the real world, look out parents!

Top Bottom