• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worms (PSN) - AHHHHHHHHH leh lu yah!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
worms-20090305100039064_640w.jpg

worms-20090305100034111_640w.jpg

Available Now (US PSN)
$12.95

“We can confirm, before we’re besieged, that Worms PSN does have the Holy Hand Grenade,” said Brown.

The PS3 version’s essentially a bumped out take on the current XBLA title.

“Worms PSN is… a larger, honed edition of the very successful XBLA game,” Brown added.

“It has additional weapons, features, more levels, more audio (no size limitations) options, runs in 1080p and plays very sweetly.

“We hope that will be out there sooner rather than later and will support soon with videos and full detail.”

IGN.com said:
The overall elements of Worms hasn't particularly changed within this game, so all you need to know is that you're on one of four sides: the Marines, Doctors, Champions or Old Skool. Regardless of whichever side you choose, a rival faction is onscreen, and your task is to eliminate them by any means necessary. Of course, this is done in a very tongue in cheek way: players have twenty six separate weapons that you can use to blast, bomb and immolate your enemies, often with humorous results. How many times have you wielded a holy hand grenade against your foes in a game, or called in an air strike that devastated most of the map (and potentially your forces if your aim was off)? All of these weapons are at your disposal.

Veterans of Worms games also know that a large amount of the title involves using the wind and terrain to your advantage. Every shot that you take has to take the strength of the wind into consideration, because a perfectly aimed attack could come flying back into your face if you're not careful. However, even if you wind up missing your intended target, you could destroy the ground they're standing on, dropping them to a lower level or even off the screen entirely into a watery or lava filled grave. This adds a certain level of strategy to what would simply be a terrain deformation game, because you have multiple ways of eliminating your foes. Toss in random item drops from the sky, and you can potentially be in for a long battle.

Worms will allow you and up to three other players to take each other on in multiplayer matches, as well as present various challenges to single players and quick games with three separate difficulty levels. While the demo wasn't feature complete, and didn't showcase all of the weapons or the challenges, it seems like there will be plenty of options for turn based strategy fans to take advantage of when Worms hits the PSN later this year.

So no info from Playstation.com or Team 17's official site. Even the GDC demo is an incomplete demo. Yet it's on the store right now.

I'm downloadin' now...any impressions?

pakkit

Banned
This gen needs more Worms, and downloadable games is a head-slappingly great way to release this series. The retail Wii version of Worms was a huge disappointment. Hopefully this sells well and makes its way over to the other consoles and Steam! Mmm...love me some Worms.

Dragnet

Sooo...it's not out in the UK and I'm desperate for this! Any kind chaps feel like sharing it? I've got an account full to the brim with goodies I'll share back (incuding Burn Zombie Burn) :D Pwetty pwease! I need to hear the sweet sweet sound of those cheeky worms voices! Incoming! etc :D

Darklord

Banned
Shard said:
That is going to be the XBLA Sequel Worms game apparently.

It better be like Worms: Armageddon on PC, none of this half arsed shit.

Ranger X said:
Any features, weapons or gameplay missing from World Party?

If yes is the answer i'm not buying this.

Worms on XBLA had like...1/10th the content worms Worms: Armageddon did on PC.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Darklord said:

It should be that and more.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Zeliard said:
Someone confirm if this is in fact a legitimately full version of Worms. :p

Worms Armageddon hates Vista. :(
What are you looking for exactly? I've never played the PC/full version?>

Darklord

Banned
C4Lukins said:
Now that the size limit should not be a hindrance, lets hope for the best.

Oh, it was only because of the size limit? If it has all the content on the PC version...day fucking 1. I loved the shit out of that game.

Ranger X

Tks for saving me some money guys!

Team17 keeps releasing gimped Worm games and I promised to myself that I will never buy them.

Darklord said:

Worms XBLA was ported from the PSP game. The upcoming XBLA game is sort of like Armageddon meets Open Warfare 2, both great games.

C4Lukins

Darklord said:
Oh, it was only because of the size limit? If it has all the content on the PC version...day fucking 1. I loved the shit out of that game.

I am not sure it was only because of the size limit, but as I recall they had to offer some of the speech packs separately on release just to meet the size limit. It at least had some impact on the original release.

b.e.r.g

Awesome! Not that I own a PS3, but I love to see some Worms hype again :D That game will never die. I hope for a Steam release soon!

I played the XBL version, but I found it kinda disappointing :( Not enough options or weapons, and you can't even create more than 4 teams! No map editor as far as I could see eighter. Worms Armageddon is waaay better. Been playing it pretty much every night online with some mates lately. As awesome as ever :D

Zeliard said:
Someone confirm if this is in fact a legitimately full version of Worms. :p

Worms Armageddon hates Vista. :(
Nooonononono, you just gotta talk nice to it.

Rightclick the .exe, chose "Run in compatibility mode" and select "Windows XP", select "Run in 256 colors" and "Disable visual themes" aswell. Also, you might have to eighter install it outside of the program files -folder, or turn on "Run as administrator". Not sure about this though.
Works perfect here ;)

EDIT: Also, it doesn't like to be run from the shortcut, so I recommend running the .exe directly.

Neither of the two XBLA games nor the PSN game is a direct PC port. The upcoming XBLA game is getting ported/expanded to the PC. The devs have stated that space is a non-issue on the PSN and new XBLA games

Darklord

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Neither of the two XBLA games nor the PSN game is a direct PC port. The upcoming XBLA game is getting ported/expanded to the PC. The devs have stated that space is a non-issue on the PSN and new XBLA games

Really? Theres going to be a new PC 2D worms?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Worms XBLA was ported from the PSP game. The upcoming XBLA game is sort of like Armageddon meets Open Warfare 2, both great games.
Wait, theres a new Worms being made that might be like Armageddon? Because T17 peaked right there, even WWP was nowhere near as good.

A 1080p XBLA port of Armageddon would be...well, enough. Team17s would would be done, possibly forever, it would be that good.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
chubigans said:
I am so confused over all these versions. :|

Okay, Worms XBLA = Stripped Down Version of Worms Open Warfare for the PSP
Worms PSN = Worms XBLA With Some Added Stuff But Still Stripped Down from
Worms Oepn Warfare
Worms Armageddon Decade = Worms Armageddon + Worms Open Warfare 2 =
the one people should really by if eam 17 comes through.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
BobFromPikeCreek said:
I heard somewhere that the XBLA Worms was so limited to allow for more strategic play, but that could have just been baloney justification.

Nope, that version was stripped purely for size reasons.

chubigans said:
I am so confused over all these versions. :|

Think of Worms XBLA as Worms HD 1.0, today's PSN game as Worms HD 1.5, the upcoming XBLA game as Worms HD 2.0, and the upcoming PC game as Worms HD 2.x.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Think of Worms XBLA as Worms HD 1.0, today's PSN game as Worms HD 1.5, the upcoming XBLA game as Worms HD 2.0, and the upcoming PC game as Worms HD 2.x.

Okay, where are you getting this information about a new Worms PC Game?

Shard said:
Worms Oepn Warfare

Well then. Guess I wouldn't be buying anything.

Shard said:
Nope, that version was stripped purely for size reasons.

Audio samples and backgrounds yes. But the weapons were a direct port of the PSP game that used a fraction of a UMD and had no space limitation.

spwolf

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
13 bucks for worms? WTF?

should be 0.99$ right? or?

People are confusing me with PC version crap... I dont care about PC version, I am in PSN version thread. Is this good or bad?

ElyrionX

Why do people keep buying the same game over and over again?

I bought this for the XBLA and have come to regret it. It was fun for an hour or two with the GF but it's essentially the same thing we've been playing on the PC 10 years ago.

dfyb

Banned
Shard said:
Worms Oepn Warfare
what a waste :lol.

ElyrionX said:
Why do people keep buying the same game over and over again?

I bought this for the XBLA and have come to regret it. It was fun for an hour or two with the GF but it's essentially the same thing we've been playing on the PC 10 years ago.

I played it for 50-100 hours with friends and had a blast. It was a huge Live hit so apparently I'm not alone. Maybe the ones who don't get it are the ones who aren't happy to have new 2D Worms games.

Edit: fixed for formatting.

Top Bottom