• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles jumps up the sales charts in US, Japan

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/04/20/valkyria-chronicles-sales-jump-in-the-us-tops-charts-in-japan/

http://www.gamasutra.com/newswire?story=23247

According to this Gamasutra report, last week Valkyria Chronicles made quite a comeback, both in Japan and here in North America. Looks like all that evangelical work from the hardcore fans, coupled with the DLC and recent buzz about the game, is boosting Valkyria back up where it should be.

In North America, Valkyria Chronicles jumped last week to top 5 among PS3 game sales, back on the list at #5, and behind only titles like Guitar Hero and Killzone 2. Considering the game came out last November, it’s an excellent sign that DLC, continued support from SEGA, and amazing support from all the Valkyria fans truly can have a great effect on game sales. Props to all you evangelists who are telling your friends and fellow PS3 owners to pick it up - you have made a difference!

The biggest success story, however, is in Japan - at a cheaper budget price for their re-heat of the title, it makes me extremely happy to announce that according to the Gamasutra info, Valkyria Chronicles was the highest selling game on amazon - period - in Japan last week, beating out the likes of Resident Evil 5 (Biohazard in Japan) and other blockbusters, and nestling in nicely on the same top 5 list as Yakuza 3, which ranked fifth.

Excellent news. Can it be true that JRPGs that deserve to sell, do so, eventually?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Just a friendly disclaimer that these rankings are based off of Amazon.com

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
While not the NPD or Media Create, it's still very welcome news! The game deserves all the praise it gets IMO.

Baha

Great news, but I got distracted by this:

2942568756_7680901fe9.jpg

Pretty awesome matted poster.

ezekial45

Banned
This is great news. :D I still need to buy the DLC though.

Maybe this will convince SEGA to green light the sequel.

EDIT: Oh, its just amazon. Anyway, it's still great news to see it getting more sales.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Shouldn't be surprising to see the jump in Japan. Budget price + new anime series airing on TV and all.

And some people were skeptical the anime would boost sales. HA!

For reference, here's last week's Media Create thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358699&highlight=media+create.

That shows VC charting at 25. The top 10 trails out at 9k, so Media Create is tracking it substantially below that. Famitsu numbers for that week peg it at number 30 and around 4.3k, with a LTD of 21k for the Best re-release.

By all accounts it deserves the sales, but the article in the OP is insanely optimistic given the actual numbers we do have.

People in the official thread were saying that its been selling for $30, I'm not sure if that was just one retailer or an across the board reduction. There's also some suggestion that there may have been another shipment to coincide with the price reduction.

I would guess that part of the boost was a massive price cut - from 60$ to 30$ as part of the current Gamestop sale... I know it's now the #1 seller listen in the PS3 section.

Concept17

Ive held off on this game since playing the demo awhile back. It was fun, but too many other games to play first. Depending on what I buy next month I may pick it up soon, from what I've heard its a great game. The only thing Ive been curious about is how much RPG is it compared to how much strategy? The demo didn't introduce any rpg elements from what I recall.

neight

Banned
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Price reductions at work in the US.

If they drop it to $20 it may even reach #1. That's when I'm biting, anyway.
Well Sega did drop VF5 to $20 so I suppose it can happen. This game is well worth it at $30.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Speevy said:
This game has saved the SRPG.

Like all good JRPG's, you know the innovations for Valkyria will be completely ignored by other game companies.

Guy LeDouche said:
sequel plz

and side-story on PSP2 (i'd be happy with a shitload of skirmish maps - that way it could be cheaper and on PSN)

Why wait for PSP2? They should just make a Valkyria game for the PSP.

Quixzlizx said:
Why would they drop it to $20 when it's selling at $30?

Because, Quixzlizx, the game will eventually cease selling at $30 as people willing to bite at that price dry up. Then Sega and/or retailers will drop it again to $20. This is the normal pattern for games in the US not published by Nintendo or one of the small, quirky Japanese game localizers like Atlus who only have a single small production run for most games.

This game seems like a lock for a Best Buy RZ coupon deal or weekly special at some point in the next 6 months that will put it at $20. My cheapness gland is tingling on this one.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I agree I think. A trophy patch with trophy advertisement would really get nerdcore people to play it. Which is sad, but it will work.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Yazuka said:
Well a sequel would have trophy support at least.

Of course, but as Y2Kev said, it will help selling more of the current one to hardcore players
like me :p

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Anony said:
i think NA sales can be thanked by fansubs

It would irritate me if fansubs push the game more than something of substance, like word of mouth or the extremely good reviews.

inner-G said:
I think there's TONS of crossover between US fansub downloaders and the hardcore JRPG crowd.

That explains why Tales of the Abyss got a sales increase.....oh wait.

Top Bottom