• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 sales jumped 42% in the UK during August | UK Monthly Charts

jm89

It was a solid August for video games in the UK, driven by continued strong sales of PS5.

According to GfK, over 135,000 games consoles were sold last month, a rise of 22% over July and 8% up over August last year.

PlayStation 5 posted a 42% jump in sales month-on-month. The console benefited substantially from aggressive price discounting and bundles across the summer months. Overall year-to-date, PS5 sales are now up 60%.

Nintendo Switch is showing signs of slowdown this year, but it's still holding strong. Sales dropped 5% month-on-month during August, while overall the console's sales are down 10% year-to-date.

There was some growth for Xbox during August, with Series S and X sales up 7% compared with July. It still trails Switch and PS5, and sales are down nearly 23% year-to-date. However, the games market should expect a bit of a fightback from Microsoft heading into the last months of the year, with the release of Starfield and Forza Motorsport to come.

The success of PS5 also boosted accessories. GfK data says that 565,309 add-on products were sold in August, which is up 3.5% compared with July and 1% up over August last year.

The Top Six selling accessories last month were all for PS5. The first four were all DualSense Controllers (White, Midnight Black, Cosmic Red and Starlight Blue), followed by the DualSense Charging Station and then the Grey Camo DualSense controller.

Looking at the GSD charts, 1.75 million games were sold, which is a drop of 2.2% compared with August last year. But actually, that doesn't tell the full story.

FIFA 23 was the best-selling game of August, according to GSD data. It was driven by a surge in sales for the Nintendo Switch version of the game, which had been discounted on Nintendo eShop.

But it wasn't the real No.1. Baldur's Gate 3 would almost certainly have taken the crown for August, but Larian is one of the publishers missing from the GSD panel, so unfortunately it doesn't make the chart at all. It's reasonable to assume that with Baldur's Gate 3, August would have been a far bigger month.

The other big new release of the month was Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon. Armored Core is not a franchise that has a major following in the UK, but the series is created by Dark Souls and Elden Ring developer From Software, which has now become a household name. As a result, this new Armored Core has significantly outperformed its predecessors.

Rockstar had a great month with three games in the Top Ten. One of those games was Red Dead Redemption, which made its way to PS4 and Nintendo Switch during August. As a result, the game is back in the charts at No.5.

Speaking of comebacks, Quake 2 is back in the charts nearly 26 years since it was first released. The game has been remastered and updated, complete with new levels, and as a result it reached No.12 last month. Quake 2's data is missing its Nintendo Switch sales, so the game may have charted slightly higher.

UK GSD August 2023 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1FIFA 23 (EA)
2Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (Bandai Namco)
3Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
4Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
5Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar)
6Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
7Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)
8F1 23 (EA)
9Minecraft (Mojang)
10Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 – 2022 Edition (Activision Blizzard)

Hardware estimates from installbase

UK August 2023

PS5: 82k
NSW: 27K
XB: 26k

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
That’s a big diff between Ps5 and everything else. Keep it up Sony!
awesome dog GIF by Bark

If these estimates are correct, really dire month for Microsoft. And all this before bumps expected from Spiderman and possibly a Slim revision

Series X Price cut needed?
Series X/S saw a price increase in August in most regions, excluding Japan which saw an increase around March and the US.

Hardware estimates from installbase

UK August 2023

PS5: 82k
NSW: 27K
XB: 26k

This is the month before Starfield...

Right now on Amazon.co.uk Xbox Series X is at #95 and Series S is at #98 while the PS5 is at #13 and #35 (digital).

Not saying Amazon is the place to go to have an idea on overall sales but it seems like September not much will change. It may surpass 6 year old Switch though.

edit: Interesing to see Spider-Man 2 is already the 3rd best selling game in there as well, and it only releases late next month. It's only surpassed by the new Fifa and the latest Zelda. That game is going to be doing some numbers for sure.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Still no sales improvement for Xbox with Starfield around .

Meanwhile , spiderman 2 is coming in next month , ps5 sales will be skyrocketing even further .
Well this data's for August, we're gonna have to wait one more month to see the Starfield impact.

StereoVsn

Starfield released September.
OP is about August sales.
It's going to be interesting to see what effect Starfield has on console sales.

There should be a bump, but I doubt it's going to be all that tremendous. Plus I think in general could consoles sell better in September vs August.

jm89

what about Spain? Last gen was all about Spain. Lol 😂

The reason why UK and Spain get more posts for sales is because we get actual sales data/charts from those countries.

Although no none really posts the spain numbers anymore cause they are insanely boring. Just go look at the charts for the last few weeks and you'll see what i mean.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The reason why UK and Spain get more posts for sales is because we get actual sales data/charts from those countries.

Although no none really posts the spain numbers anymore cause they are insanely boring. Just go look at the charts for the last few weeks and you'll see what i mean.
Does that mean.. the game sales in Spain stay mainly quite plain? …

I’ll show myself out… 🤣

Last edited:

yazenov

The success of PS5 also boosted accessories. GfK data says that 565,309 add-on products were sold in August, which is up 3.5% compared with July and 1% up over August last year.

The Top Six selling accessories last month were all for PS5. The first four were all DualSense Controllers (White, Midnight Black, Cosmic Red and Starlight Blue), followed by the DualSense Charging Station and then the Grey Camo DualSense controller.

It'll be interesting to see how much of a difference Starfield makes. I'm sure it'll help, but PS5 is just so powerful in the market right now.

Who the fook is buying all these camo controllers!? They're tacky af.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Well this data's for August, we're gonna have to wait one more month to see the Starfield impact.
People who buy a console for a specific game wait for the day it releases to buy the console? Nah I don't think so.
People who had no idea what Starfield is and simply walk into a store to buy an xbox to play it must be rather small...
If there was any impact it would have already materialized.

Still no sales improvement for Xbox with Starfield around .
I would think most people heavily interested in Starfield already own either a Box or just play it on PC. But I would assume it will attract some interest over time despite some reviews not praising it like Skyrim or whatever. MS is not even on the radar of most casuals, for most gamers possibly their secondary platform, especially outside of Murica. That must be the goal for MS right now. MS just needs to continue their current plan. Forza is next, I suppose. Every quarter at least one hit game should be entirely possible. Building any upward momentum will take some time still. They blew their load imho way too early with Gamepass and day one, but with that studio armada the lack of exclusives like 360 and One had should end, despite development times exploding for some imho inexplicable reason.

People who buy a console for a specific game wait for the day it releases to buy the console? Nah I don't think so.
People who had no idea what Starfield is and simply walk into a store to buy an xbox to play it must be rather small...
If there was any impact it would have already materialized.
We will probably see a small increase, but they'll still be double digit negative year over year.

Flabagast

Objectively considering gamepass Starfield would have probably sold 4 to 5 times more on PS5 (if not more) than it will do on Xbox - which is the case of nearly every big hitter, even when they are non available on game pass

The trade off what that this net loss would be compensated by a boost in hardware sales, but that does not seem it will be the case : the downward spiral is already too strong and the game has not reviewed well enough to make current owners of PS5 willing to purchase a new console just for this game (ie its not a system seller)

Economics of this one will be tough to defend in meetings, with so much forgone revenue without real benefit to show for it except the vague hope it will pay off in a few years

Last edited:
If these estimates are correct, really dire month for Microsoft. And all this before bumps expected from Spiderman and possibly a Slim revision

Series X Price cut needed?

More exclusive games would help. Starfield, while not perfect, is a start and next month there is Forza Motorsport which should put Microsoft in the spotlight and sell a few Xboxes.

They need to commit though to releasing a steady stream of high quality exclusive games for the platform not just two every autumn in the run up to Christmas. Sony got where they are by doing this but Microsoft got complacent and assumed live services and GamePass would enough to ensure the Xbox Series X|S's success. It clearly wasn't because the only place the Xbox is more successful than PlayStation is (I believe) the US, which is not surprising being their home territory.

Last edited:
Top Bottom