• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts December 2023: PS5 #1, Switch #2 and Xbox Series #3

Mr.Phoenix

140k for dead console?
Microsoft better pull out from console making immediately

/s
Probably thought you were being smart but ended up saying something dumb.. did you see what MS had to do to sell those consoles? You know what a fire sale is right? This becomes an even bigger deal when you find out that one platform actually got more expensive at the same time the other was doing fire sales.

But even more interesting... try and look at sales for the overall year, not just the busy holiday season.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If anything, this is proof that ...just....doing a major acquisition isn't enough to cause a turn around. Some of us tried to tell ppl this. Most ppl might not even know about the acquisitions.

What MS does with the acquisitions will be key. Its gotta be real concern at MS when they talk about making Bethesda and ABK games exclusive.
Yeah at this rate they'll go out of business 🤣
Not sure how you got that from my post but whatever.

I'm pretty sure you know MS will be fine. Xbox tho....might have major changes in the upcoming years.

Mr.Phoenix

If anything, this is proof that ...just....doing a major acquisition isn't enough to cause a turn around. Some of us tried to tell ppl this. Most ppl might not even know about the acquisitions.

What MS does with the acquisitions will be key. Its gotta be real concern at MS when they talk about making Bethesda and ABK games exclusive.

I'm pretty sure you know MS will be fine. Xbox tho....might have major changes in the upcoming years.
We have to wait till the end of this year.

When Hellblade, and the next COD make it to gamepass on day 1.

If even with that, sales of Xbox don't become respectable, and it has a minimal impact on gamespass... then the argument for the demise of Xbox shifts to when and not if.

twilo99

Since a lot of you here associate with Sony, let me try to help you understand the “unit sales” situation…

Think of the Xbox console the same way you think about Sony smartphones, where in both cases you are getting absolutely demolished by the competition in terms of “units sold” but you choose to have a presence in the market regardless.

What’s the ratio between the Xperia line and the iPhone? 50:1 .. 100:1?

I don't think Microsoft was wrong to go after acquisitions. I just think the acquisitions they made did nearly nothing to help Xbox.

Blizzard and ABK are absolutely not the publishers that are going to move the needle for you, especially if you can't make CoD exclusive.

Going after Take2, CDPR, Capcom, FromSoftware, WB/ WBGames, Disney, these would have been needle movers. Hell, I think Ubi Soft would have been a better buy thank Bethesda.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Since a lot of you here associate with Sony, let me try to help you understand the “unit sales” situation…

Think of the Xbox console the same way you think about Sony smartphones, where in both cases you are getting absolutely demolished by the competition in terms of “units sold” but you choose to have a presence in the market regardless.

This analogy reads more like an instruction manual to Club Cope.

Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami

Issue is many of those guys (if not all) don’t want to be acquired. Since hostile takeovers are out of the question, the lowest hanging (and willing) fruits were the only options.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Do those phones sell at a loss?

Those talks on exclusivity aren't happening anymore.

This analogy reads more like an instruction manual to Club Cope.

Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami

Issue is many of those guys (if not all) don’t want to be acquired. Since hostile takeovers are out of the question, the lowest hanging (and willing) fruits were the only options.

It's easy for them to say they don't want to be acquired, but reality is often very different.

WB and WB Games were literally up for sale. Rumor is Disney is also up for sale. Kadokawa has sold large percentages of FromSoftware to Sony and Tencent.

T2 is all about valuation. You make them an offer and they have to take it to shareholders to vote on. There is no primary owner(s) of T2 like with Capcom and CDPR.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It's easy for them to say they don't want to be acquired, but reality is often very different.

WB and WB Games were literally up for sale. Rumor is Disney is also up for sale. Kadokawa has sold large percentages of FromSoftware to Sony and Tencent.

T2 is all about valuation. You make them an offer and they have to take it to shareholders to vote on. There is no primary owner(s) of T2 like with Capcom and CDPR.
I’m on the side that believes Microsoft tried one or more of the others. Like I said, they settled on what they could get.

This doesn’t rule out more to come, but without hostile takeovers, they can’t just snap up pubs like that.

Reality is they fought tooth and nail for Activision. Reality is this isn’t a walk in the park no matter how big their war chest is.

Last edited:

It's the usual nonsense regarding Xbox and how will they continue rubbish. The Xbox brand is now over 20yrs established, it receives more funding now than it ever has. No company does this unless they have full confidence in the business and the direction its headed.

The console warrior mentality on this forum is now a joke and it's almost always against Microsoft/Xbox. Not saying you're one but there are plenty pushing their agenda.

Mr.Phoenix

Do you really need us to tell you why this is a whack analogy in the context of these consoles? Or you can do that yourself?

Mr.Phoenix

It's the usual nonsense regarding Xbox and how will they continue rubbish. The Xbox brand is now over 20yrs established, it receives more funding now than it ever has. No company does this unless they have full confidence in the business and the direction its headed.

The console warrior mentality on this forum is now a joke and it's almost always against Microsoft/Xbox. Not saying you're one but there are plenty pushing their agenda.
While it is pure console warriror mentality to prematurely call something dead based on one's underlying biases...

Its also console warrior mentality to be in denial and blind to the obvious if it goes against one's underlying biases.

hlm666

obtained COD and others
not Sure COD is really a factor until they can at least sell a cod xbox pack. Probably wont help but cod didn't really help sell xbox this season when johnny's mum went and bought him the cod console pack for xmas and that ends up being a ps5 ;)

LTD UK sales: here are some systems for comparison, numbers have been rounded.

Nintendo DS - 12.4M
Playstation 2 - 10.0M
Xbox 360 - 9.3M
Nintendo Wii - 8.4M
Playstation 4 - 7.8M
Playstation 1 - 7.2M
Nintendo Switch - 6.8M
Game Boy - 6.6M
Playstation 3 - 6.0M
Xbox One - 5.9M
Game Boy Advance - 4.8M
Playstation portable - 3.9M
Nintendo 3DS - 3.9M
Playstation 5 - 3.6M
Megadrive - 3.5M
Xbox Series - 2.5M
Xbox - 2.2M
Super Nintendo - 2.0M
Nintendo 64 - 1.6M
Nintendo ES -1.5M
Master System - 1.5M
Gamecube - 1.2M
Playstation Vita - 740K
Game Gear ->600K
Dreamcast - 600K
Nintendo Wii U - 590K
Sega Saturn - 400K

Last edited:
PS5: 196K
NSW: 155K
XBS: 142K

Even with all the crazy deals on Xbox for the whole month while Sony didn't do anything major in December (unlike November when they had good deals to get rid of the old fat units), Xbox can't win a single month.
2024 will be brutal for them.

Bounty Hunter Dog GIF by DefyTV

1 2 3 Count GIF by Travis

Republican Primary Debate Gop GIF by GIPHY News

140k for dead console?
Microsoft better pull out from console making immediately

/s
Xbox Series is down YOY with major promos on its 3rd anniversary only.

Its main competitor won a December with no major effort, no promos, and more expensive by 120£ or 140£ and this only counting the most expensive model...not the Series S that was on sale for less than 200£. How would you react if i told you 3 years ago that a 200£ console and another one for 420£ from MS wouldn't be able to beat a PS5 that's on sale for 480£?

I mean PS5 won like this and it's literally more expensive than its original price from 2020. That's how ridiculous the situation is for MS. It was also beat by 7 year old Switch that never had a single price drop.

And this is on the only country outside of the USA where Xbox could compete against the PS5. And it ended up being outsold by 2 to 1 for 2023.

It's not dead...but it's on life support for sure. How is 2024 going to be? It's not like Avowed or something like that can change much. This year is going to be a bloodbath. With PS5 Pro and Switch 2 coming who is even going to talk about Xbox?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is what i had for November

PS5 - 240k
XBS - 132k
NSW - 113k

Total - 485k

For December we get this from MOM percentages:

PS5 - 194k (-19%%)
NSW - 157k (+39%)
XBS - 140k (+6%)

Total - 491k (+2%)

If we add October's estimates of 95k PS5, 41k XBS and 37k NSW then for FY Q3 (Oct, Nov & Dec) we get these totals:

PS5 - 529k
XBS - 313k
NSW - 307k

Total - 1149k

Thank you for doing the Lord's work lol.

That means Q3 percentage of the HD consoles in the U.K. is 63% PS5 and 37% Xbox Series.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony have absolutely beasted this generation and Microsoft have more or less given it to them due to not having the software to back up their great(imo) hardware. The fact that they are getting beaten significantly with a console thats 100 - 120 cheaper is crazy to me.

Time to go third party and just submit lol

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Thank you for doing the Lord's work lol.

That means Q3 percentage of the HD consoles in the U.K. is 63% PS5 and 37% Xbox Series.
And yet - some are laughing at the idea that a next gen Xbox could see even more declines. The data doesn’t lie.

Is it a guarantee? Of course not. But, these are substantial drops from previous Xbox consoles, so it isn’t a far fetched idea unless something utter industry changing happens.

Last edited:
While it is pure console warriror mentality to prematurely call something dead based on one's underlying biases...

Its also console warrior mentality to be in denial and blind to the obvious if it goes against one's underlying biases.
"Blind to the obvious" please enlighten me? If you're talking about opinions then I'd refrain from making silly statements like that. I'd rather look at the facts and they paint a far different picture to the one you and the usual suspects are peddling.

Mr.Phoenix

"Blind to the obvious" please enlighten me? If you're talking about opinions then I'd refrain from making silly statements like that. I'd rather look at the facts and they paint a far different picture to the one you and the usual suspects are peddling.
Ok, lets look at facts.

• The XB1, sold around 55M consoles. Which is less than what the XB360 sold.
  • the current XS consoles are tracking behind the XB1, regardless of the significantly bigger investment MS has made going this gen so far.
  • The XS consoles are resorting to the equivalent of fire sales to at least remain respectable, in the third year of the generation.
  • The divisions next major push "gamepass" has a rumored sub-base of anything between 25-35M, which after 6 years on the market, in any other industry, would be considered as stagnation.
  • Rumors suggest that MS is about to go full-on third party, it's one thing having your games on PC and Xbox, is another thing having them on Playstation too (and even Nintrendo).
None of the listed above are opinions.

Now let me give my opinion, if this was any other company, that would be considered a platform/division in trouble. The obvious is that there is not a single metric you can use and say, the Xbox division is doing "well", without resorting to some accounting gymnastics and balance sheet manipulation. And Like I said before, its not over yet, we need to wait till the end of this year, when the fruits of the biggest investments made into the division thus far play their role. COD on gamepass day 1 accompanied with Hellblade 2 was even used to reveal the platform. Only then can we gauge the impact they have on gamepass and/or Xbox.

If the status quo remains, would you still then not consider it a failure?

But I am curious, what are the facts you are looking at that paint a picture that suggests that MS is not only just staying afloat, but that it's being very successful?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
If you can explain why Sony is still in the smartphone business you will also understand why Microsoft is still selling consoles.
Sony’s reasoning for being in the smartphone business isn’t to stick it to Apple, among other things.

Why did Microsoft leave smartphones?

Why did they abandon Zune?

Why are they still releasing Xboxes?

Each one of those has an easy answer.

Last edited:

twilo99

Or rather, you should be asking yourself why Microsoft left the smartphone business to understand how they tend to operate as an entity.

Too proud to use someone else’s operating system, especially a direct competitor like Google, which is obviously not a problem for Sony, despite the fact that even the Google pixel phones outsell Xperia.

I’m surprised that they sold Vaio, it was a solid brand.

The point is, if a corporation wants to sustain a presence in a certain market, they don’t need to be in the lead in terms of sales in order to do so indefinitely.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ok, lets look at facts.

• The XB1, sold around 55M consoles. Which is less than what the XB360 sold.
  • the current XS consoles are tracking behind the XB1, regardless of the significantly bigger investment MS has made going this gen so far.
  • The XS consoles are resorting to the equivalent of fire sales to at least remain respectable, in the third year of the generation.
  • The divisions next major push "gamepass" has a rumored sub-base of anything between 25-35M, which after 6 years on the market, in any other industry, would be considered as stagnation.
  • Rumors suggest that MS is about to go full-on third party, it's one thing having your games on PC and Xbox, is another thing having them on Playstation too (and even Nintrendo).
None of the listed above are opinions.

Now let me give my opinion, if this was any other company, that would be considered a platform/division in trouble. The obvious is that there is not a single metric you can use and say, the Xbox division is doing "well", without resorting to some accounting gymnastics and balance sheet manipulation. And Like I said before, its not over yet, we need to wait till the end of this year, when the fruits of the biggest investments made into the division thus far play their role. COD on gamepass day 1 accompanied with Hellblade 2 was even used to reveal the platform. Only then can we gauge the impact they have on gamepass and/or Xbox.

If the status quo remains, would you still then not consider it a failure?

But I am curious, what are the facts you are looking at that paint a picture that suggests that MS is not only just staying afloat, but that it's being very successful?

Completely agree. Great post.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony’s reasoning for being in the smartphone business isn’t to stick it to Apple, among other things.

Why did Microsoft leave smartphones?

Why did they abandon Zune?

Why are they still releasing Xboxes?

Each one of those has an easy answer.

Is microsofts strategy to stick it to Sony? Or is that fanboys hopes and dreams?

If they are successful it all makes sense. I just want higher quality games from them and that still hasn't come to fruition yet.

Good games, but not great industry defining games.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Too proud to use someone else’s operating system, especially a direct competitor like Google, which is obviously not a problem for Sony, despite the fact that even the Google pixel phones outsell Xperia.

The point is, if a corporation wants to sustain a presence in a certain market, they don’t need to be in the lead in terms of sales in order to do so indefinitely.
During the live event, Spencer confirmed that Microsoft loses around $100 to $200 every time it sells the $500 Xbox Series X or the smaller, $300 Xbox Series S.
If a phone is losing money per sale ($100-200), they fucked up.
Is microsofts strategy to stick it to Sony?
Yes, since the creation of Xbox and to this day. They said so during the leaked emails.

GHG

Their best phones ran their own OS. They needed to support the app development/support side of things better, not abandon it and use Android.

As for why Sony continue to make smartphones, I suggest you look into their camera lens business.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Is microsofts strategy to stick it to Sony? Or is that fanboys hopes and dreams?

If they are successful it all makes sense. I just want higher quality games from them and that still hasn't come to fruition yet.

Good games, but not great industry defining games.
Fanboy hopes and dreams? Time to do some research my friend. They didn’t enter this industry because their goal was to make genre defining games.

It’s also why you aren’t getting the kind of games you’re after. Why else has it taken them so long to get their act together? They squandered most of the goodwill they had with the 360. It’s easy to see that they’ve simply chased Sony and have done little else since then and a little research into that might help you understand why.

Last edited:

twilo99

If a phone is losing money per sale ($100-200), they fucked up.
Yes, since the creation of Xbox and to this day. They said so during the leaked emails.

Isn’t loosing money per until sold the norm in the console business? Something tells me that Microsoft has accountants who keep an eye on the situation, and as soon as it becomes unsustainable, we would know.

Sony has absolutely nothing to do with why Xbox exists, they just happened to be in the way..

Mr Moose

Isn’t loosing money per until sold the norm in the console business? Something tells me that Microsoft has accountants who keep an eye on the situation, and as soon as it becomes unsustainable, we would know.

Sony has absolutely nothing to do with why Xbox exists, they just happened to be in the way..
I don't think so anymore, maybe PS3/360 gen.
PS5 was profitable since a short time after release I believe, and the Switch has probably always been profitable.

Joachim Kempin was VP of Windows Sales at Microsoft for 20 years, having left the company in 2003, two years after the launch of the original Xbox. He said that the main reason Microsoft jumped into the console market was "to stop Sony."
When asked why Microsoft decided to enter the console space, he asserted that, "The main reason was to stop Sony. You see, Sony and Microsoft…they never had a very friendly relationship, okay? And this wasn’t because Microsoft didn’t want that.

"Sony was always very arm’s length with Microsoft. Yeah, they bought Windows for their PCs but when you really take a hard look at that, they were never Microsoft’s friend. And Microsoft in a way wanted them to be a friend because they knew they had a lot of things we could have co-operated on because they are, in a way, an entertainment company, you know? I mean, at least a portion of Sony is and they had some really good things going there, but as soon as they came out with a video console, Microsoft just looked at that and said 'well, we have to beat them, so let’s do our own.'

This decision supposedly came right from the top of the company, with Bill Gates himself even chipping in.

Last edited:

twilo99

Their best phones ran their own OS. They needed to support the app development/support side of things better, not abandon it and use Android.

As for why Sony continue to make smartphones, I suggest you look into their camera lens business.

I’m very much aware of their camera sensor business, it’s basically what resides behind the lens of every iPhone, which is why Tim Cook paid them a visit last year. Very profitable, top tier engineering, which allows them to be in the smartphone business without chasing record sales.

You can think of as Microsoft’s enterprise side, very profitable, top tier engineering, which allows the rest of the company to dabble in different sectors. The scale is very different, but the concept is the same.

The windows phone OS was simply too late to the party in order to compete. The real, rather huge mistake, was Windows Mobile a decade earlier, that’s where the real opportunity was missed.

twilo99

In the way of what? What were they trying to achieve by “Jumping In”?

They desperately want to be like Apple and have some sort of a consumer product out there, which is why they’ve had all of these side projects, out of which Xbox is the only one that stuck, and Sony just happened to be in that particular industry.

You could argue that they’ve had some success with their Surface line of mobile devices, but it’s obviously not enough for their corporate ego.

GHG

I’m very much aware of their camera sensor business, it’s basically what resides behind the lens of every iPhone, which is why Tim Cook paid them a visit last year. Very profitable, top tier engineering, which allows them to be in the smartphone business without chasing record sales.

You can think of as Microsoft’s enterprise side, very profitable, top tier engineering, which allows the rest of the company to dabble in different sectors. The scale is very different, but the concept is the same.

The windows phone OS was simply too late to the party in order to compete. The real, rather huge mistake, was Windows Mobile a decade earlier, that’s where the real opportunity was missed.

They need products that act as a test-bed for their cameras, that's why Sony continue to make phones. It also helps with the R&D of those image sensors.

What hardware does Xbox (Xbox, not Microsoft) make that they sell to other businesses in the industry? If Xbox consoles are not selling to consumers, what justification do they have to keep Xbox hardware around?

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

An interesting thing about this, their image sensors were part of the Memorandum of Understanding Sony and MS signed about using Azure.

Not sure if that's dead now but still.

Top Bottom