• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking Back • Nintendo 64 Expansion Pak

Captain N

--------------------------------------------------
Supported Titles
--------------------------------------------------

Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage
All-star Baseball 2001
Armorines: Project S.W.A.R.M.
Army Men Sarge's Heroes
Battlezone: Rise Of The Black Dogs
Castlevania Legacy of Darkness
Command & Conquer
Cruis'n World
Cyber Tiger
Daikatana
Donkey Kong 64*
Duke Nukem Zero Hour
Extreme G2
Excitebike 64
F1 World Grand Prix 2
Gauntlet Legends
Hot Wheels
Hybrid Heaven
Hydro Thunder
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
International Track and Field 2000
Jeremy McGrath's Supercross 2000
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest
Madden NFL '99
Madden NFL 2000
Madden NFL 2001
Mario Golf
Mega Man 64
NBA Courtside 2
NBA Jam 2000
New Tetris, The
NFL Quarterback Club 99
NFL Quarterback Club 2000
NFL Quarterback Club 2001
Nuclear Strike 64
Perfect Dark
Quake 2
Rayman 2
Re-volt
Resident Evil 2
Roadsters
San Francisco Rush 2049
Shadowman
Road Rash 64
South Park
South Park Rally
Star Craft 64
Star Wars Episode 1 Battle for Naboo
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Star Wars Rouge Squadron
Stunt Racer 64
The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask*
The World is not Enough
Tony Hawk's Skateboarding
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3
Top Gear Hyper-Bike
Top Gear Overdrive
Top Gear Rally 2
Turok 2 Seeds of Evil
Turok 3 Shadow of Oblivion
Turok Rage Wars
Vigilante 8
Vigilante 8: The Second Offense
Xena Warrior princess

*Required to play the game.

I'm still working on the list, but does anyone have a site where they show the difference of the expansion pak..and no expansion pak?

vilmer_

I'm still looking for one of my Paks that I lost... It had a bunch of Turok player stats on it that I've been dying to verify for many years.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
vilmer_ said:
I'm still looking for one of my Paks that I lost... It had a bunch of Turok player stats on it that I've been dying to verify for many years.

Pretty sure thats the wrong Pak you're talking abouot.

Chumly

AtomicShroom said:
Perfect Dark required it for the Single Player mode.

If you didn't have it, you could only play the multiplayer!
I believe that like 3/4 of the multiplayer options were also gone if u didnt have it.

RiskyChris said:
I don't remember why I had two, but I think one came with DK64?

Donkey_Kong_64_Box_Art.jpg

SabinFigaro said:
JFG was not supported. The box art was in error.

Huh? The box doesn't say that it uses the expansion pak... because, yeah, it doesn't. I don't know of any games that incorrectly say they support it.

Games missing from the list that I've noticed so far
--
Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage
Vigilante 8: The Second Offense
Stunt Racer 64

Also 40 Winks wasn't released for N64, so it shouldn't count. (The PSX version was, but the N64 version was not. A beta rom of the game has leaked out, but that's not exactly an official release...)

Anyway, the expansion pak was great. Added nice things to a lot of games, was well supported, widely available (thanks to being packed in with DK64 and then some copies of MM), and more... the only bad things are that it wasn't out even sooner and that some games that should have used it, like Conker or Banjo-Tooie, did not. For the most part though, it was great. :)

master15

Jet Force Gemini was absolutely stunning looking and had huge variety in levels and was rather large. To not use the expansion pack was fairly amazing programming on Rare's part.

I like many got the expansion pak with DK64. God what a truly awful game that was. Sadly the expansion pak like a lot of features taken from largely defunct N64DD was not executed that well, thus you saw the results varying an awful lot.

Captain N said:
Starcraft 64 has additional multiplayer maps with the Expansion Pak.

The entire Brood War campaign requires it actually, I believe.

Similarly, Hydro Thunder and Stunt Racer 64 require it for 3 or 4 player mode. Rush 2049 is missing a lot of stuff without it, too... no moving trolley cars or trains or anything, no in-race music, no access to the sixth track in race mode, you can't play the final championship, the Extreme championship... the game's really not worth it without one!

Also, you missed several, I'm keeping the list in my last post.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
A lot of the games that ran in hi-res ran at unplayable framerates :(

But, you know what...I still think I played them in high-res. Like Rogue Squadron and Turok 2.

Prax

Where's Aidyn Chronicles.

I KNOW that game needed that Expansion Pak. Otherwise, you'd hear these.. really.. pathetic drum bops and wheezes as "background music". :(

It was kind of funny, actually... one of my most endearing memories about that game!

Y2Kev said:
A lot of the games that ran in hi-res ran at unplayable framerates :(

But, you know what...I still think I played them in high-res. Like Rogue Squadron and Turok 2.

Of the ones I have, the only one I don't run in high res is Excitebike 64, not just because of the loss of fluidity, but because of the forced letterboxing. I'd probably have learned to deal with the framerate (though the drop was annoying), but the letterboxing... that was too much. I don't use high res mode in that game. But in everything else... yeah, I do.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
N64... is one console I am happy that I have never purchased. I'm totally content with just skipping over everything that system offered. Expansion pack... freaking yuck.

I jumped back on the bandwagon with the Gamecube and I'm glad I did. There's nothing worth revisiting on the N64 in 2009.
Now go ahead and hate me and call me a fanboy

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I got one of these even though none of the games I owned made any use of it x.x

The Saturn ram expansion was forever more useful then this thing imo!

PSGames

I know this is off topic but was the RE2 N64 port (with FMV and all) really superior to the PS1 version?? I always found that hard to believe, it should have been impossible given the storage space differences.

pakkit

Banned
PSGames said:
I know this is off topic but was the RE2 N64 port (with FMV and all) really superior to the PS1 version?? I always found that hard to believe, it should have been impossible given the storage space differences.
Which was why it was such a technical marvel at the time. The development team used some amazing techniques to cut down space usage.

Adam Prime said:
N64... is one console I am happy that I have never purchased. I'm totally content with just skipping over everything that system offered. Expansion pack... freaking yuck.

I jumped back on the bandwagon with the Gamecube and I'm glad I did. There's nothing worth revisiting on the N64 in 2009.
Now go ahead and hate me and call me a fanboy

It's your loss not mine.

gokieks

I bought a EBGames branded one to use with Perfect Dark. The thing would get so hot that the game would freeze, and then I'd put the thing in the freezer for a few minutes to cool it down before using it again. :lol

SA-X

Funny thing is that one of the best games on the N64, Space Station Silicon Valley, crashes on bootup if the expansion pak is being used. No idea why.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I got the expansion pack with Donkey Kong 64 and mainly used it for Majora's Mask :D That's pretty much THE game to play with the expansion pack, :lol

I really wish Banjo-Tooie would have supported the Expansion Pak. That game was aas ambitious as any N64 game I've seen with repsect to its visuals, and I think it could have really used the extra memory.

suaveric

SA-X said:
Funny thing is that one of the best games on the N64, Space Station Silicon Valley, crashes on bootup if the expansion pak is being used. No idea why.

I think there were a few games that freaked out when they did a check on the expansion slot and it came back "yes". I guess it was just a bug they just happened to overlook in the development process. All those games came out before the expansion did, so the developers probably assumed the expansion pak would never come out.

Top Bottom