• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Legendary Starfy (DS) Thread of Cuteness Overload

JSnake

starfy_CcPxt_3858.jpg

---------------
BASIC INFO
---------------

Platforms: Exclusively for the Nintendo DS

Release Dates:

Japan: July 10, 2008

North America: June 8, 2009

UK: Maybe, if you wish hard enough, all your dreams will come true. :)

-------------
THE GAME
-------------

Starfy has finally come to America! This is actually the fifth title in the Starfy franchise and the second one for the Nintendo DS. All past titles have been only for the Game Boy Advance. For those who aren't familiar with the Starfy series, it's a (up to now) Japanese-exclusive platforming starring the titular Starfy and all his underwater friends. This series is compared to Kirby a lot, which makes sense--they're both charming, cute, and don't pose too much challenge to most seasoned gamers. Starfy is unique in that it's an underwater platformer. Starfy swims his way through the various levels. This makes for some unique gameplay mechanics that I, personally, haven't seen in any other platformer.

Story as written by Wikipedia:

After the events in Starfy 4, the protagonist named Starfy was sleeping in bed, a rabbit wearing an astronaut suit named Bunston (known in Japan as Rampa), fell from the sky through the roof of Pufftop Palace (known in Japan as the Tenkai Palace, which it literally means "Sky Sea Palace" in Japanese), bouncing on and waking Starfy. While Starfy couldn't understand, a group known as the Dire Pirate Squad arrived inside of Pufftop Palace and grabbed Bunston. Before they could flee away, Starfy used his signature Spin Attack against the Dire Pirate Squad, making them drop Bunston. After Starfy knocked them out, they wondered where Bunston went, and decided to vanish in smoke in order to avoid Starfy and search for Bunston. A short time later, Moe (known in Japan as Kyorosuke) the clam curiously rushed inside the room and asked Starfy what the commotion was all about. Then Starfy didn't answer him and tried to jump into the ocean to pursue Bunston in order to find out about him, while Moe tried to pull Starfy from the edge of the cloud of Pufftop Palace, but then Moe failed to stop Starfy and slowly slid off with him.

Gameplay as written by Wikipedia:

The genre of the series is a special kind of platform game called "marine platform", due to the game being more about swimming than running and jumping around. Players control the protagonist of the series, Starfy, throughout each game (sometimes Stapy in the third, fourth and fifth titles of the series). When on land, the controls are equal to the controls of most other platform games. When in the water, players can only move Starfy around using the control pad alone; however, if players want to make Starfy swim faster, they hold the A button down while moving him around. The games are usually comprised of multiple stages or worlds, with each stage split up into four sub-stages. Boss characters hide at the end of each world's final sub-stage. Most of the other sub-stages' goals are centered around retrieving a lost or stolen item for another character. Most power-ups are vehicles and costumes, some are new moves and some are upgrades for moves and other power-ups.

------------------
SCREENSHOTS
------------------

IGN Images

-----------
REVIEWS
-----------

IGN - 8.9

Nintendo Power (print only) - 7.0

Nintendo Life - 9

---------------------------
THE END *explosion*
---------------------------

I noticed this game didn't have an official thread so I took it upon myself to make it. I haven't gotten this game yet but I LOVE the other Starfy games so I'm pretty excited for this one. Enjoy, GAF! :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Nice thread. Picked up my copy today. Along with too many other games which will have priority, sadly. At least for tonight.

Yes Boss!

Mine is still at Gamecrazy. Gonna pick it up this weekend. Stealth release!!

The game did get some good advert space in the Sunday Circulars. TRU had a full page devoted towards it.

Nemesis_

I played this for quite a while today. While the graphics and art style are really nice, it just doesn't feel substantial >_> I suppose it IS for younger children, but I'm not quite sure what to think.

Starfy also moves way too slow out of water =(

JSnake

Nemesis556 said:
I played this for quite a while today. While the graphics and art style are really nice, it just doesn't feel substantial >_> I suppose it IS for younger children, but I'm not quite sure what to think.

Starfy also moves way too slow out of water =(
Eh? Isn't there a dash button? There is in the previous games.

Jme

JSnake said:
Eh? Isn't there a dash button? There is in the previous games.

You can dash in water, out of water he just does his spin attack, unless I'm doing it wrong?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I won't be playing until later tonight, but I'm pretty sure that the manual mentioned that the spin attack doubles as a dash...?

Nemesis_

I didn't mean to start such a fuss! =P

Either way, I'm kinda enjoying it. I just feel that, well, compared to Kirby it's a bit more boring but I love the cuteness of the characters. :D

Ranger X

Picked up my copy yesterday. Cute overload indeed!

I'm super happy I can finally enjoy a Starfy without importing and stuff.

JSnake

Ranger X said:
Picked up my copy yesterday. Cute overload indeed!

I'm super happy I can finally enjoy a Starfy without importing and stuff.

If you're enjoying this Starfy, don't be afraid to check out the others! There's practically no language barrier. I don't know a word of Japanese and got through the games just fine. And they're super fun too!

Nemesis_

Just defeated Big Squiddy. Awesome stuff how you transformed, but the boss battle took literally less than 30 seconds.

Really liking this though. =D

Wizpig

Is this game "Super Princess Peach easy"?
I really liked that game though, and there was even a Starfy cameo...

tim1138

My wife picked this up for herself yesterday and is loving it. I played through the first couple levels myself and it seems like a fun game. We both had a blast with Super Princess Peach and love the Kirby games and this seems to fit into that mold as well.

Masked Man

I said wow
This is actually the second installment of the Starfy series on the DS. Densetsu no Stafy 4 was the first title on the DS, but "The Legendary Starfy" is the first of the games to be released in English on the DS. :D

And yes, cuteness overload, indeed! I can't wait to pick up my copy.

loosus

Banned
Aside from games that are just completely broken, this has to be the most boring game I've ever played. Hol-ee shit.

JSnake said:
If you're enjoying this Starfy, don't be afraid to check out the others! There's practically no language barrier. I don't know a word of Japanese and got through the games just fine. And they're super fun too!

The producers said they may release the other games in the series if this one is popular enough...so everyone buy it like I did!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wizpig said:
Is this game "Super Princess Peach easy"?
I really liked that game though, and there was even a Starfy cameo...

Ironically, I'll be trying to decide between Starfy and maybe Super Princess Peach later tonight. :lol

I was strongly considering this game, but my inquiries in this thread prompted me to pick up 2&3 instead. Considering my soft spot for 2D platformers I'll probably eventually cave and pick this one up too though.

xSL4INx

I finished the game last night. Enjoyed it a lot, very Kirby-ish as stated before. I think it took about 6 hours to beat the main game.

Slappy967

Neo Member
Picking up my copy tomorrow thanks to my $20 giftcard I got for buying Ghostbusters @ TRU, luckily I also got a giant vinyl banner promoting the game as my wife works at TRU and she snagged it for me. Will post a pic in the pickups thread or here if any one gives a crap :D Also ordering Starfy 4 DS and maybe Starfy 3 GBA soon. Wish I could find the first game :(

D.Lo

Masked Man said:
This is actually the second installment of the Starfy series on the DS. Densetsu no Stafy 4 was the first title on the DS, but "The Legendary Starfy" is the first of the games to be released in English on the DS. :D
Just about to post this.

Also, Starfy 5 is much better then 4, but 3 is still the best IMO. Will buy this in English anyway!

I beat World 4 today if I recalled correctly =D

5 shards so far...

I definitely like this game, glad Nintendo finally brought it over...was thinking I was gonna have to import it. Platformers are awesome!

Now for a new game in the series or bring over one of the other games from the past!

I'm actually taking my time on a game for once. Sometimes I will rush through them in a few days (ex. Super Mario Galaxy)

CorwinB

I just received my copy from VideoGames+, it's a nice Kirby-like platformer. Once I'm done with it, I'm sure my 6 years old will like it...

Beat World 6, moving on to World 7, the Shipwreck :O

This game is actually really interesting. I do hope they bring over the other games and/or make new ones soon!

I just beat it. It's definitely a lengthy game, and full of item collection to further the replay value. I also liked the final boss, pretty interesting!

Everyone go buy it, I want the other Starfy games to come out in English!

MidnightScott said:
I just beat it. It's definitely a lengthy game, and full of item collection to further the replay value. I also liked the final boss, pretty interesting!

Everyone go buy it, I want the other Starfy games to come out in English!

Did you beat the REAL final boss?
the lobster

rSpooky

fun little game, my kids keep stealing it from my DS when i am at work. :lol
my youngest deleted all te save files on it , so I got to start over, no biggie in it self but I am not sure how far I will get this time because I am too addicted to making dumplings (mingame) .. all day long :lol

AwRy108

I was very interested in this, but the comparisons to Kirby make me nervous: despite many attempts, I've never been a big fan of the Kirby games (well, except Canvas Curse). I even bought a used copy of Kirby Superstar Ultra, and proceeded to return it after a day.

Jiggy

AwRy108 said:
I was very interested in this, but the comparisons to Kirby make me nervous: despite many attempts, I've never been a big fan of the Kirby games (well, except Canvas Curse). I even bought a used copy of Kirby Superstar Ultra, and proceeded to return it after a day.
The widespread comparisons to Kirby baffle me; that's one of my favorite series and KSSU is in my top ten games of all-time, but I couldn't enjoy Starfy much at all until the post-game bonus levels. More repetitive level design, non-existent enemy complexity and diversity, non-existent challenge, pretty throwaway music, ridiculous loads of cutscenes (sometimes even three or four in a single level), Starfy as a character has a smaller array of attacks than Kirby does even when he hasn't copied a power...

They're both colorful 2D games with non-linear levels. Beyond that point, any criterion people are seeing when they say Starfy (at least, this specific Starfy) resembles Kirby is without a doubt nothing that I notice or appreciate in Kirby games.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I cleared the first world! This games really cute in looks and dialogue! The cutscenes really help add to the character appeal with their funny animations and expressions so I'm not complaining about those like some people had! I must say I didn't expect the game to take place almost entirely underwater? I thought Starfy was like a space guy like Ristar or Kirby but protecting one planet must be enough for the lil guy. Games pretty easy so far but I'm sure it'll get tricky before long~

Top Bottom