• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Slam Tennis (Wii) -Online- Thread of Gotta Catch 'Em All

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
grand_slam_tennis_jap.jpg

Just gonna borrow the template from Marvie_3's Tiger PGA10 Online Thread since it's already perfect.

Leave your EA Profile name here and I'll update the OP with everyone's info. We can also use this thread for game nights and maybe set up a few GAF tournaments.

Here's the Grand Slam Tennis' discussions thread

GAF name - EA Profile name

Dash Kappei - dashkappei

markatisu - markatisu

CaVaYeRo - CaVaYeRo

CoolS - Slooc

kkg1701 - knkg17 (change it to this one fellas, it was wrong before)

dk_ - dkw

Robert-GCA - RobertAMN

goompapa - tsk19xx

nny - toofhairy

legend166 - legend166

BorkBork - BorkBork

Model 500 - SmoothBob

sevenchaos - sevenchaos

666 - spod7

maxmars - maxmars

fresquito - fresquito

Fabprems - Fabprems

Saint Gregory - GregNice

shnookums - Silverdon

JadedOne - Beanster

Jaded Alyx - JadedAlyx

_bluemoon - bluemoon86

BowieZ - BowieZ

Walk-Out Basements - wakobsmnts

crazy monkey - crazy monkey

MiketheBSG - HOUSE

_ * updated on 08/01/2009 *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We play for FUN.
We don't care if you're not good at it, if the connection isn't super sweet and all.
Of course, this is a Versus game and mainly 1 against 1 and competing one another is the meat of the game, but above winning must be having FUN (again).

See you on the courts! :)

nny

I haven't tried playing online yet, but I'll register and join you guys.

Dash Kappei said:
This thread is for the online portion of TW10 only. All other discussion needs to go in the official thread.

You're copying too much of the template ;P

Dash Kappei

Oops! Thanks mate, edited.

Anyway, there were plenty of players on the discussion's thread for the game, not much going here though... add your profiles gaffers! :)

CoolS

Haven't been playing that much online yet, because of exams an all but I#ll try to play more often

CoolS - Slooc

Dash Kappei

CoolS said:
Haven't been playing that much online

No problem, main target is to have a nice list of Gaffers' EA Profiles so that we can have a good match going even if we're not playing online that much and we decide to play a game of Online GST once in while.

goompapa

goompapa - tsk19xx

Dash Kappei said:
We play for FUN.
We don't care if you're not good at it, if the connection isn't super sweet and all.
Of course, this is a Versus game and mainly 1 against 1 and competing one another is the meat of the game, but above winning must be having FUN (again).

See you on the courts! :)

Ok, no serve volleying from me then.:D

Dash Kappei

goompapa said:
Ok, no serve volleying from me then.:D

Nahhh, play however you want, if it's tennis then it's tennis.
That was more for people whining at the others players' way to play or someone who just hit lobs all the time (I don't have problem beating them but IT IS annoying).
I mean, wantin' to win is ok and all but what about having fun?
Otherwise I'd just go play against "strangers" all the time, don't you agree?

Model 500

GST name:

SmoothBob

Would like to play w/ my shitty custom character but gave up and am now using mostly PRO's online. I'm adding you all this evening, would be fun to play with you guys :)

I set up my EA profile, Greg-Nice, but I tried for about a half hour to get online last night but couldn't connect :( Since this uses EA servers I'm guessing that I need to reconfigure my firewall settings. I'll look up the ports to open when I get home and then add everyone in the thread.

nny

I've played a few games last night with "strangers" and won a total of 0 sets; I'm a tennis machine. Fear me guys, fear me.

Dash Kappei

Did anybody notice that sometimes you see the ball go reeeeeally slow, like if to avoid lag this was how the netcode acted? Also eveything seemed really sloppy as far as swing mechanics, with the controls not nearly as responsible as they are offline.

Happened more than a couple of times to me.

Also:

Hey Mike, your EA Profile HOUSE doesn't work for me, it says "it doesn't exists" or somethin'.

Banned
fresquito said:
fresquito - fresquito

However, I'm not playing online right now. I want to improve my player on the Grand Slam :D

yeah, i was getting destroyed by people who had done as such..

OK for some reason the game won't let me use the ID I set up on the EA website so I just changed it to GregNice.

Edit: I added everyone in the OP to my buddylist.

Shnookums

Dash Kappei said:
Anybody?

Also, updated.

Yes, this seems to be the way they chose to handle lag in this game. The Top Spin games have dealt with lag in this way as well. The other option is to "make up" for the lag at the point of contact between ball and racquet which is what they do in Virtua Tennis. Not sure one is better than the other. I think with the relatively short amount of time it takes for the ball to travel from racquet to racquet in tennis games lag is a difficult thing to manage smoothly.

Shnookums

I'm not sure what my EA profile name is. Is this the name I used when I created an EA login on their website? I don't remember what I used for that as I created my EA login ages ago for Skate.

Dash Kappei

Shnookums said:
I'm not sure what my EA profile name is. Is this the name I used when I created an EA login on their website? I don't remember what I used for that as I created my EA login ages ago for Skate.

Nope, you just create one on the fly when you go online with the game and click on EA Profile.

Dash Kappei

I don't get it though, the only one that got back from my invite tickets was fabrems.

Do we have to be online at the same time for the invites to work?
Did you guys receive my invites or has anybody sent one to me?

Also:
List Updated.

Dash Kappei said:
I don't get it though, the only one that got back from my invite tickets was fabrems.

Also:
List Updated.
I sent you an invite.

So people are really starting to abuse the forfeit feature, especially those in the top 200 and those that get murdered in the first game.

I drew the #1 player today and he dodged/forfeited me, so much for trying my luck.

Are we posting our EA profile names or our individual player names? My player names are meganh8sWoW and leftylefty. I'll add a bunch of people from the thread.

letsbereasonable said:
Are we posting our EA profile names or our individual player names? My player names are meganh8sWoW and leftylefty. I'll add a bunch of people from the thread.
EA profile names.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
letsbereasonable said:
So people are really starting to abuse the forfeit feature, especially those in the top 200 and those that get murdered in the first game.

I drew the #1 player today and he dodged/forfeited me, so much for trying my luck.

What's the deal with the forfeit feature? I'm still not quite sure on how that works, except I had two guys forfeit playing me so far. Do they get tagged with the loss? Because it cost me a couple of wins.

goompapa

Dash Kappei said:

Also:
List Updated.

I send you a request a month ago, I didn't receive yours though:lol
But I am in the same situation as you, I invited everyone, but the only ones I manage to add on my friends list are House, Fabrems and Toofhairy. Never played them though. I answered their request when I just started playing online.

But since then, no such luck. Does anyone actually manage to add a number of gaffers on their list ?

Dash Kappei

So, I've played this fella waxman83 and it looked like a cheater to me.
Or not? You tell me:

EVERY serve of his I responded to the referee was calling a point against me, even when my shot was inbound.
In end I managed to lose at tie-break 8 - 6 without EVER being able to even PLAY a point when he was serving.

Dash Kappei

letsbereasonable said:

You actually get a LOSS if you forfait after the first game (EA Rules say about 50% into the game), you get a RETIRE if you drop early than that (usually must be in the first game)... it's no clear what happens after you retire again and again.
I sometimes forfait in the FIRST game if I see there's too much lag to make it playable in a decent way.

You can also leave FEEDBACK to all the opponents you play with.

Also, EA Profiles.
Post yours!

And I think maybe we have to be online at the same time to finally see the request?
I mean, I invited every one in this thread, everyone! But only a couple sent me invites/replied.

Dash Kappei

crazy monkey said:
I just never find anyone online. Its always connection to your opponent is lost message.

Strange.
I never have a problem finding opponents in a matter of seconds for ranked matches.

If you want to give out your EA Profile we can try to set up a friendly match, mine you can find in the OP.

Top Bottom