• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 Official Japanese Thread - USE SPOILER TAGS (or we Kafrizzle yo ass)

Shouta

Early on? Not many. More is sold later though.

Oh and I found the wi-fi spot in the Yodobashi game's section. So many people were gathered, I quickly gathered 42 folks just standing there. :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Shouta said:
Early on? Not many. More is sold later though.

Oh and I found the wi-fi spot in the Yodobashi game's section. So many people were gathered, I quickly gathered 42 folks just standing there. :lol
Feck. Got no one in Nara. Stupid city.

Here is my team as of 20 minutes ago.

3729599904_0871270c0c.jpg
3728798033_dcddb2a775.jpg

3729600062_251f8fa0a3.jpg
3728797771_9bf3ff517a.jpg

Having a lot of fun so far, and I think I will keep this same party for a while except change my main to a Ranger when I get the job. Gonna try to finish that tonight.

Oh and I tried to have Kuwabara do bare-handed at first because of his namesake but changed my mind ;)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
My team, then and now:

Jasu (my Main)

THEN -- Entertainer
jasu.jpg

NOW -- Ranger (by way of Thief)
jasu2.jpg

Maki (Fighter)

THEN

dqmaki.jpg

NOW
maki3.jpg

Lolo

THEN: Mage

lolo.jpg

NOW: Mage Knight
lolo2.jpg

Ren (Priest)

THEN

ren.jpg

NOW
ren2.jpg

As of today I've upgraded my hotel to the max (or I assume the max). I was really surprised to see all the people I got hanging out in my hotel. I even got some free treasure from the extra rooms.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Man, I'm finding myself way too addicted to the job system of this game. My hero is almost maxed out 100 points in Swords and I only recently started the Tso arc.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
jeez, i don't get the ranger-unlocking quest.

it's the one where you talk to the guy outside the bitali mountain dungeon, and he wants 5 magichimera killed by poison from a poison-dagger move. i've killed much more than 5, and they've all died by the poison killing them, not from a killing blow of my party. what should i be doing instead?

sprsk

Yeah they have to die from poison damage, not from an attack.
I suggest using "dokubari" the weapon you buy at the nearby town that does 1 damage but sometimes kills in one hit.

RevenantKioku

Woohoo! Finished my tweaking around Dharma Temple! Now to go onto Tso's story.
DQ9-20ish.png

Yes, that is a level 1 mage wielding a sword. :D

Zerrick - Mage/1 | Eriko - Soldier/26
Lin Lin - Thief/20 | Shotaro - Priest/20

WAAAAIT a minute. Skill points carry over between jobs?

RevenantKioku

sprsk said:
Yeah, weapon skills only though.
Obviously. That's not at all what I meant though, sorry.
I had 3 unused points left over from Soldier and my Mage had 3 to use. I could have sworn someone said they were only usable for the class they were earned on.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
sprsk said:
Yeah they have to die from poison damage, not from an attack.
I suggest using "dokubari" the weapon you buy at the nearby town that does 1 damage but sometimes kills in one hit.
yeah, they die from poisoning every time, not from a hit.

can they never be hit? i even just swiped just once with my poison dagger skill, and let them die, and it doesn't count that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
RevenantKioku said:
Woohoo! Finished my tweaking around Dharma Temple! Now to go onto Tso's story.
DQ9-20ish.png

Yes, that is a level 1 mage wielding a sword. :D

WAAAAIT a minute. Skill points carry over between jobs?
Whats the class of the guy on the bottom right, Slime Summoner :lol

RevenantKioku

Drkirby said:
Whats the class of the guy on the bottom right, Slime Summoner :lol
Whoops, didn't actually type everyone up. That's just a priest, haha.

sprsk

mattiewheels said:
yeah, they die from poisoning every time, not from a hit.

can they never be hit? i even just swiped just once with my poison dagger skill, and let them die, and it doesn't count that.

They can be hit, are you sure you're killing the right mob?
Are you sure you haven't already completed the quest?

RevenantKioku

Jinko said:
LOL that triple slime suit is awesome XD
Just to note, it is actually a helmet and upper body armor, not one piece of armor.

RevenantKioku

Online shopping is awesome! Finally got some. . . cat sand? Made some cat ears, which aren't too shabby stat-wise. But all my lady characters are warriors, not spell casters. Oh well, I can dock one point of defense for adorableness.

ubiblu

There is a guy dissecting all the weekly quest data, and there is some serious bonus content to come. Spoilers obviously, but follow his progress at http://ds666.blogspot.com/

There are 25 treasure map bosses, 12 of which are old dq bosses: all of these bosses start at lv1, and level up as you beat them, making the next encounter harder than the previous one...awesome! It is also possible to recreate all of the past game heroes, as well as the main characters in this game with downloadable quests and ultra rare drops.

I'm starting to think this game is going to take thousands of hours to completely finish.

Btw, i'm not particularly far into the game myself (mucking around before Tso arc), but i still haven't come across any treasure maps. Do you guys know if they are random drops, or all quest related?

For the record, i live in Canberra (Australia) so chances of meeting anyone with surechigai is a near impossibility.

Doctor_No

ubiblu said:
Btw, i'm not particularly far into the game myself (mucking around before Tso arc), but i still haven't come across any treasure maps. Do you guys know if they are random drops, or all quest related?

For the record, i live in Canberra (Australia) so chances of meeting anyone with surechigai is a near impossibility.

You can get a treasure map from Quest 015
atop Bitali mountain, due south of the point you warp into the Stone Village. There's a guy laying on the ground and asks that asks for a 特やくそう which can be easily concocted via alchemy. If you beat that map you'll get another map.

Koren

Shouta said:
Haven't seen one yet. I may go hunting for one unless someone know's exactly where one is near Osaka station. :lol
IIRC (and in case you're still interested), there's several Mc Donalds restaurants in the Umeda Shopping Mall, which is really really close to Osaka Station (take central exit... I think I remember one being in the alley just under the street in front of the station).

Doctor_No

Finished the single-player portion of the game. 41 hours total at around lv 45 (I've leveled up most of the other classes for each character to around ~Lv20). I actually got to the last boss around 32 hours, but spent an exorbitant amount of time doing the Lv.40 class quests - which can take forever.

I've only completed around a dozen of the treasure maps and there are some of the harder Lv 40 quests I still haven't finished so there is a LOT left to do; I feel far removed from the feeling of completion of this game.

Some general impressions:
>>While I love this game, I can understand the divisiveness of DQ9; there are a lot of departures from tradition. I recall the general scorn of FF12 when it was released and believe there is some familiarity with the negativity that this game has received from its hardcore fans. Personally, after all these remakes and re-releases that DQ has endured, I feel this game really is a necessary evolution of series.

>>I love the quests and MP aspects of this game. They are the right level of difficulty and there is a lot of satisfaction completing them. More important, the rewards are well suited to the effort required; you really do get unique skills, weapons, and abilities that is worth the effort regardless of the level of the character. For the vast majority of quests, even later on, your efforts aren't wasted. You don't spend hours killing metal slimes the right way for it to be useless once you get to a higher level.
This includes the Lv.40 quests which give you books that have incredibly useful skills and abilities to any character that have it in their inventory.

>>As far as the story- it never really clicked with me. I really got into the whole 'guardian angel' thing at first, but they really never took it anywhere. All of it felt ancillary to the main character- which may have been on purpose.
There are some cute twists, but the entire story arc lacks any real continuity from the beginning of the game to the end. The final story is no more unique or heart-felt then the Black Knight story you encounter in the beginning.

>>The new job and leveling system of this game is great. Its less omnipotent, more challenging, and at the same time less tedious. It has obvious consideration for the MP aspect, but even for the single player aspect it skews the end-point. You really do have to strategize the character to a stat perspective rather then a skill perspective.
Also, the skill points you receive seems to peak at around Lv. 40, after which you start receiving less skill points per level

>> There also seems to be room left for expandability in this game.
There is no 勇者 (hero) class in this game, as far as I know, and there are some missing skills and classes compared to the the other DQ games; maybe its to balance the game out for MP (since you don't want everyone to merely be a 勇者, but maybe SE has some bigger upgrades to this game

Regardless, I feel I have I lot left to play of this game even after seeing the ending credits- which is the whole point. I probably have another 40 hours until I even get remotely bored of DQ9.

Doctor_No said:
Finished the single-player portion of the game. 41 hours total at around lv 45 (I've leveled up most of the other classes for each character to around ~Lv20). I actually got to the last boss around 32 hours, but spent an exorbitant amount of time doing the Lv.40 class quests - which can take forever.

I've only completed around a dozen of the treasure maps and there are some of the harder Lv 40 quests I still haven't finished so there is a LOT left to do; I feel far removed from the feeling of completion of this game.

Some general impressions:
>>While I love this game, I can understand the divisiveness of DQ9; there are a lot of departures from tradition. I recall the general scorn of FF12 when it was released and believe there is some familiarity with the negativity that this game has received from its hardcore fans. Personally, after all these remakes and re-releases that DQ has endured, I feel this game really is a necessary evolution of series.

>>I love the quests and MP aspects of this game. They are the right level of difficulty and there is a lot of satisfaction completing them. More important, the rewards are well suited to the effort required; you really do get unique skills, weapons, and abilities that is worth the effort regardless of the level of the character. For the vast majority of quests, even later on, your efforts aren't wasted. You don't spend hours killing metal slimes the right way for it to be useless once you get to a higher level.
This includes the Lv.40 quests which give you books that have incredibly useful skills and abilities to any character that have it in their inventory.

>>As far as the story- it never really clicked with me. I really got into the whole 'guardian angel' thing at first, but they really never took it anywhere. All of it felt ancillary to the main character- which may have been on purpose.
There are some cute twists, but the entire story arc lacks any real continuity from the beginning of the game to the end. The final story is no more unique or heart-felt then the Black Knight story you encounter in the beginning.

>>The new job and leveling system of this game is great. Its less omnipotent, more challenging, and at the same time less tedious. It has obvious consideration for the MP aspect, but even for the single player aspect it skews the end-point. You really do have to strategize the character to a stat perspective rather then a skill perspective.
Also, the skill points you receive seems to peak at around Lv. 40, after which you start receiving less skill points per level

>> There also seems to be room left for expandability in this game.
There is no 勇者 (hero) class in this game, as far as I know, and there are some missing skills and classes compared to the the other DQ games; maybe its to balance the game out for MP (since you don't want everyone to merely be a 勇者, but maybe SE has some bigger upgrades to this game

Regardless, I feel I have I lot left to play of this game even after seeing the ending credits- which is the whole point. I probably have another 40 hours until I even get remotely bored of DQ9.

Thanks for the impressions, very nice to have some completed opinions.

I'm not sure if I'd agree with the FFXII part though, and I do not want to start any sort of argument about the game, but I did not dislike FFXII because it was a departure from Final Fantasy, I disliked FFXII because I did not think it was a very good game.

As far as changes to DQ go though, the best way to describe it is it feels like home. It's something comfortable and no matter how many times you go back there, you know what's waiting for you. I can understand animosity about changes to that.

Doctor_No

Freyjadour said:
I'm not sure if I'd agree with the FFXII part though, and I do not want to start any sort of argument about the game, but I did not dislike FFXII because it was a departure from Final Fantasy, I disliked FFXII because I did not think it was a very good game.

As far as changes to DQ go though, the best way to describe it is it feels like home. It's something comfortable and no matter how many times you go back there, you know what's waiting for you. I can understand animosity about changes to that.

My point isn't that DQ9 is similar to FF12, my point is that DQ9 is polarizing much like FF12 was. Personally I love both games, but I know people who absolutely hate them. While I don't agree with much of the criticism towards this game, but I do understand their perspective. I do believe that the registered opinions across the internet are legitimately representative; many people do think this isn't a good game; much less a good DQ game. There is a very vocal fanbase that abhors this latest creation. I'm not saying their opinions are not legitimate; I'm saying that this game does have its unique charms.

Its a very thin line, there really isn't many games that captures the average Japanese public like DQ, from casual to hardcore; any alteration of that formula is a serious fiscal gambit. The game isn't without its flaws, but after spending 40 hours with this game, I still want to spend 40 hours more.

I'm playing DQV now and I'm really enjoying it. First DQ that I'm liking (played a few hours of DQVII and a lot of DQVIII before giving up). Now for the DQIX part... how does it compare to DQV overall? Considering I've found VIII very long and boring, am I going to like DQIX?

Doctor_No said:
My point isn't that DQ9 is similar to FF12, my point is that DQ9 is polarizing much like FF12 was. Personally I love both games, but I know people who absolutely hate them. While I don't agree with much of the criticism towards this game, but I do understand their perspective. I do believe that the registered opinions across the internet are legitimately representative; many people do think this isn't a good game; much less a good DQ game. There is a very vocal fanbase that abhors this latest creation. I'm not saying their opinions are not legitimate; I'm saying that this game does have its unique charms.

Its a very thin line, there really isn't many games that captures the average Japanese public like DQ, from casual to hardcore; any alteration of that formula is a serious fiscal gambit. The game isn't without its flaws, but after spending 40 hours with this game, I still want to spend 40 hours more.

I understood that, was just making a point that this could be more polarizing as a departure from DQ, whereas FFXII, at least amongst the people I talk regularly with, was more polarizing as a standalone game.

What I've seen of DQIX thus far hasn't given me the impression that the game formula has changed to any incredibly significant degree (as the ARPG switch would have), but more just taken on new features. To me it's much the same as DQIII, VI, and VII's changes to formula using the Job System (and the changes to that system with VI introducing skills and VII's more complicated tiers).

What's the deal with the friggin
black knight? I talked to the king and the princess at the castle and then go to the BK's castle and he's not there. What do I have to do to make him appear

Also, the main thing that makes this not that great of an RPG for me is that it's all too similar to the previous games in the series. Same monsters, same gameplay mechanics, same types of characters and speaking styles, same equipment, same spells, same type of world, etc. Familiarity is good but the DQ series takes it a bit too far. I just played DQ4 before this and I felt like I was basically playing the same game, but starting from level 1 again and with a different "go kill this evil bad guy" quest.

Synth_floyd said:
What's the deal with the friggin
black knight? I talked to the king and the princess at the castle and then go to the BK's castle and he's not there. What do I have to do to make him appear

Also, the main thing that makes this not that great of an RPG for me is that it's all too similar to the previous games in the series. Same monsters, same gameplay mechanics, same types of characters and speaking styles, same equipment, same spells, same type of world, etc. Familiarity is good but the DQ series takes it a bit too far. I just played DQ4 before this and I felt like I was basically playing the same game, but starting from level 1 again and with a different "go kill this evil bad guy" quest.

That's what makes DQ DQ :p. Was IV the first DQ you played?

Ok I found out where the Black knight was hiding the whole time and finished the whole quest. Man, what a lame quest. I have to say I'm really starting to lose interest in this game. The plot is really cookie-cutter fantasy/RPG so far. Do the quests get any more interesting later on or is it just help these random people with their melodramatic problems so that you can continue to the next area? I thought the game was supposed to be more open ended. The only reason I did that quest was because the bridge was blocked and obviously you know that once you finish the quest they'll unblock the bridge, even though they don't say it.

duckroll

You know, your complains are starting to get really painful to read, because firstly it seems you like to presume a lot and complain about stuff which seems to largely stem from your inability to read the language you're playing the game in. If you can understand the dialogue in the game, you wouldn't be bitching about half the stuff you're bitching about. Saying the only reason you did the "quest" was because the bridge was out and you wanted to "progress" shows that you know nothing about what the scenario involves right now, which I'm sure would limit the amount of enjoyment you get out of a *gasp* story driven game!

Synth_floyd said:
Ok I found out where the Black knight was hiding the whole time and finished the whole quest. Man, what a lame quest. I have to say I'm really starting to lose interest in this game. The plot is really cookie-cutter fantasy/RPG so far. Do the quests get any more interesting later on or is it just help these random people with their melodramatic problems so that you can continue to the next area? I thought the game was supposed to be more open ended. The only reason I did that quest was because the bridge was blocked and obviously you know that once you finish the quest they'll unblock the bridge, even though they don't say it.
If you aren't interested in helping random people with their "melodramatic problems", you should probably shut off the power, remove the cartridge, sell it, and never play another DQ game again.

Helping random people with their (generally unrelated to the overall quest) problems is the heart of Dragon Quest.

Eh, I guess I'm not explaining my gripe properly but it appears that the game doesn't significantly change from this point on. And anyone who has a dissenting opinion about the game is a troll? Sheesh.

And my point about the bridge was that I know the story about the Knight and his past and the king and everything but there was a blocked bridge and a quest that had to be fulfilled for no apparently obvious reason to the player. Hypothetically if I didn't give a rat's ass about the knight I'm still forced to do the quest because I need to cross the bridge and even though at no point in the game does anyone say "you will be able to cross the bridge after you complete the quest" it was painfully obvious from the beginning. Though to be honest this is more of a general RPG thing than a DQ thing. I guess I've just tired of the genre conventions.

colinp

Banned
dq.jpg

Yay, finally found one at my local GEO Amusement Developer.

Was there someone else from JapanGAF that was having trouble finding one? I picked mine up for 1200 yen and there was another if you'd like me to grab it for you. Dunno how much shipping might be but surely not too much...?

Synth_floyd said:
Eh, I guess I'm not explaining my gripe properly but it appears that the game doesn't significantly change from this point on. And anyone who has a dissenting opinion about the game is a troll? Sheesh.

And my point about the bridge was that I know the story about the Knight and his past and the king and everything but there was a blocked bridge and a quest that had to be fulfilled for no apparently obvious reason to the player. Hypothetically if I didn't give a rat's ass about the knight I'm still forced to do the quest because I need to cross the bridge and even though at no point in the game does anyone say "you will be able to cross the bridge after you complete the quest" it was painfully obvious from the beginning. Though to be honest this is more of a general RPG thing than a DQ thing. I guess I've just tired of the genre conventions.
Well, games sometimes have weird logic, but it wouldn't be too hard to fill in the gap on this one. Perhaps that bridge is usually blocked from civilian use (for homeland security purposes, you understand), but once you've done the King a solid, he lets you bend the rules by giving you access?

You don't have to care about the knight if you don't want to, but sometimes to get ahead, even in the real world, you've gotta do favours for the movers and shakers.

Anyway, my advice stands. If the Black Knight thing bothered you, stop now. The game never stops doing that kind of scenario, at least as far as I've played. It's a DQ thing.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Synth_floyd said:
And anyone who has a dissenting opinion about the game is a troll? Sheesh.
It is when the things you are complaining about are the fundamentals of Dragon Quest. If you are disliking this now within the first 2 hours of the game, I'm trying to comprehend how you fared during DQ4.

RevenantKioku

Synth_floyd said:
Hiding? The story tells you where he is.
Considering how much time it took you to do this I'd place decent money that you have no idea what is going on in the plot at all. Heck, I'd bet you couldn't produce a shot of the case and cartridge.

duckroll

Synth_floyd said:

Dude, I'll be happy to accept and debate plot logic problems or poor scenario design if it were you know, true. But your problem with this entire quest stems from your lack of understanding of what is going on in the game itself. The game explains why the bridge is closed off, and it also clearly explains your PURPOSE in the town. The game at this point is not even directing you to cross this bridge you are complaining so much about. You have a clear purpose in the town, and that is to find the source of problems for the people in the town, and to solve it.

There is no one someone who is about to read and understand this game can complain "if I didn't give a rat's ass about the knight" because the scenario is extremely clear at this point. I don't like to call people out for playing games they don't understand because honestly it's your money and time, but when you endlessly bitch about something in a way that proves you cannot understand the game you are playing, it makes one wonder why you're bothering at all.

Ledsen

colinp said:
dq.jpg

Yay, finally found one at my local GEO Amusement Developer.

Was there someone else from JapanGAF that was having trouble finding one? I picked mine up for 1200 yen and there was another if you'd like me to grab it for you. Dunno how much shipping might be but surely not too much...?

Yeah, I'm in Tokyo and looked around Akiba but couldn't find it. God it's so hot! I'm not particularly good at japanese yet so I can't ask anyone about them either. I'd love to get one but I'm not sure how I would pay you seeing as I have no japanese bank account :/ Did you have to look around a lot before finding one? I have no idea if they're rare or if I'm just looking in the wrong places. By the way, what color is the cover and what color is your DS? I can't really tell from the photo.

Llyranor

The plot sucks. I know I don't understand one word of Japanese, but the plot makes absolutely no sense at all. Silly JRPGs and tired genre conventions!

colinp

Banned
Ledsen said:
Yeah, I'm in Tokyo and looked around Akiba but couldn't find it. God it's so hot! I'm not particularly good at japanese yet so I can't ask anyone about them either. I'd love to get one but I'm not sure how I would pay you seeing as I have no japanese bank account :/ Did you have to look around a lot before finding one? I have no idea if they're rare or if I'm just looking in the wrong places. By the way, what color is the cover and what color is your DS? I can't really tell from the photo.

Well, I did have to look around a bit but not excessively so. I found it at the second shop I visited, and they did have two so I am not sure what that means. That said, I am far north from you in a city that pales in size to Tokyo. I imagine they are still available in Tokyo, but it is a matter of visiting the right spot. There are electronic stores every where, not just Akiba, so you might have better luck visiting a more off the beaten path spot. That is probably easier said than done if you don't know your way around Tokyo, which it sounds like you may not. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Well, if you feel comfortable doing it you could just mail me the yen. Shoot me a PM if you want to talk about it more.

I have the metallic blue DSi. All of these cases are the same: clear plastic (that's why you see the metallic blue) with the two slimes brushed/painted over in silvery/white. For example, if Nintendo made a green DSi this is what it would look like with the case:

dqcopy.jpg

Just a hypothetical to get the point across! I played with the colors in Photoshop (you can see it bleed a bit on the edges, obviously the real thing doesn't do that). =)

00948040014.jpg

The white in this picture is just a piece of cardboard that they stuff inside. Instead of white you will see whatever color your DSi is, hence I see metallic blue! Hope that makes sense. There seemed to be a bit of confusion over this.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Actually, there is a green DSi in Japan, but it's lime green rather than, er, slime green.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who bought a blue DSi specifically for this case.

mattiewheels

i just realized why my ranger quest wouldn't complete even after i killed 5 whatevers...there's a limit to the number of open quests. i figured you could just have as many pending as you wanted.

Top Bottom